The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

The End of an Era

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 18, 2011 23:49:18 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
As you may have seen from the announcement, it is with a heavy heart we announce the (hopefully temporary) closure of TARP's doors. It has been five years — five glorious, fun-filled years — and it has been an amazing ride.

On behalf of the entire staff, I thank all of you for your devotion to this site. Some of you are new, some of you have stuck with us through thick and thin. We appreciate you so much more than you could possibly know. It is because of the members that TARP has lasted this long; good staffing and graphics only go so far. Without our members, both past and present, we would not have been as successful as we were.

As Karena mentioned, the forum will remain open, with posting and registrations disabled. All posts will still be viewable, and the PM system will be fully functional.

We invite our members to fully take advantage of this to sort out how to stay in contact. If you click on your PM Preferences, you can set it so you receive an email notification for all new PMs. We also invite our members to utilise this time to wrap up any roleplays here on the board you may have going on.

For those of you who wish to continue RP privately, you have several options. Dropbox is a free computer-connecting program that allows you to share documents. Many people use this to RP with their partners via text document. You can connect to anyone who also uses dropbox that you have the username for (for those with more than one partner).

Alternatively, you can use Google Docs if you do not wish to install, or cannot install, any programs to your computer. I believe you need a Gmail account to use this, however.

Lastly, you may also use the PM system if you wish to continue one-on-one roleplaying. Or more, but in reality the PM system is not optimal for multiple partners.

We also invite our members to save any posts they made, such as profiles. Please do not copy posts all willy nilly - we may be closing, but our copyrights remain. If you wish to copy a post that is not yours, please either ask the creators, or the Staff if the creator is no longer a member.

R E M E M B E R
Posting & registrations will be disabled 02.01.2011

Thank you again, from the bottom of our hearts.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Aug 4, 2011 12:24:09 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 18, 2011 23:53:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 18, 2011 23:53:25 GMT -6

I... I...
I think part of me just died inside.

I need a moment to take this in.
~Tenoko~
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Jan 19, 2011 0:06:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 19, 2011 0:06:13 GMT -6

It was time... As sad as it is, it was time... it appears life was in the way of everything for everyone. And I dont honestly think that without a total story flush. It would have ever come back.

I'll still poke my head in from moment to moment to see if she revives. But other than that, I hope everyone finds something awesome to take up that space that TARP used to fill.

*salute*
Anonymous
Jan 19, 2011 0:07:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 19, 2011 0:07:41 GMT -6

As much as this well and truly sucks I'm glad to have RP'd here. I made some very good friends whom I cherish. I'll miss interacting as my collection of misfits. There are other RP's around but I doubt there are any with just the right combination of organization and fun I found here on TARP.

I feel bad for the other RP sites getting an influx of TARPers used to the best.

Thank you for the good times and helping me improve as a writer.
hankdetank
Jan 19, 2011 0:56:13 GMT -6

Post by hankdetank on Jan 19, 2011 0:56:13 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I've only been here a short while but I'm deeply saddened to see this place go. I don't know where else online I can find RPs of this quality. I sincerely hope this place comes back with Korra. If it does, I'll be here in a heartbeat. Thanks for the good times TARP.
This user is a guest
taedxoa
Jan 19, 2011 1:26:33 GMT -6

Post by taedxoa on Jan 19, 2011 1:26:33 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
While a small part of me is not surprised, ALL of me is very sad about this. This site has definitely seen its ups and downs for all its time here... ugh, it's hard to say good-bye. I'll miss everyone, regardless of whether we RP'd, PM'd, or barely even said hi to each other.

Turas maith, TARP. Go dtí an saol seo chugainn.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jan 19, 2011 1:53:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 19, 2011 1:53:33 GMT -6

Wow, this sucks. TARP was the first RP site I actual stuck with. I've left the site twice, but I think of it every day. I know I'll continue to do so after it closes. Here's hoping it re-opens in the future. If it does, I will be first in line to start RPing again. I'm really going to miss this place, and the people I've met through it. I love you guys. Hell, you people are the reason I started writing in the first place. Without TARP I may never have discovered my gift of creative writing. So, to you all I say thanks, and I hope to see you again in just a few, short months.
kyozuki
Jan 19, 2011 2:53:47 GMT -6

Post by kyozuki on Jan 19, 2011 2:53:47 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Huh. Well, that... kind of came out of left field. Was not expecting that. Nosiree.
Welp, good sailing to you all - and rest assured, this site is going to stay in my bookmarks for a while to come.
This user is a guest
hanabi
Jan 19, 2011 2:59:55 GMT -6

Post by hanabi on Jan 19, 2011 2:59:55 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I'm not happy. I'm active on this site. It still takes it's bandwidth and I don't want to lose this site. You're at a downtime, yes. But please don't do this. It is still quite active. New Ozai is a hotspot of posting and this site in this slump is more active then most of the sites I've ever been on.

I wish you well and am saddened to see the only quality site I actively post on going away. It is sad. Yes, I know I sound selfish over it but you have a ton of fire (Not just firebenders.).
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 19, 2011 13:57:46 GMT -6

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. I know this may seems sudden for our more active members, but this issue has been brought up before among the staff. We allowed TARP time to pick up in activity, which, unfortunately it hasn't done.

Hanabi, you're saying that we're active, that the 'New Ozai' thread is a "hotspot" of activity - I see three people, roleplaying with each other. It may be a difference of opinion at this point, but that's not exactly what I could call a "hotspot" of activity, nor would I consider that active enough to keep an entire site, with a full staff team open.

Please, everyone, believe me when I say that we do not make this decision lightly. None of us want to shut down the site, but the in-character activity is just too low for our liking. Even out of character, it's too low for our liking, and we've never really put too much emphasis on OOC. For months before we made the decision to switch from three monthly awards to one, we received maybe one or two nominations, RPM only received maybe one to four votes a month, etc. We started having to force members to review the Year-End Awards threads. To us, that's just not active.

There was a point in time where we'd have anywhere from thirty to fifty people online, if not more. The most users we've ever had online in a day was a hundred and thirty eight.

Now, we have maybe a little over a dozen members online in a twenty four hour period, maybe with three of them posting in-character. In comparison, that's just not active at all.

As stated in the opening post, anyone who wishes to continue their RP story is more than welcome to, whether through PM on this forum, our using GoogleDocs or Dropbox. If we decide to reopen for Korra, we'll do our best to integrate storylines from "Original" TARP to "New" TARP.

Again... the entire Staff is truly saddened to make this decision, but it's something that, I feel, is necessary.

edit; I WANT TO EMPHASISE that TARP will not be taken offline. I cannot stress this enough. Current members will still have the ability to login, view everything they can currently view, and communicate using the PM system. This is why I said what I did about it in the opening post. (Especially about modifying your PM preferences so you get an email notification every time you get one) The ONLY abilities that will be removed are the ability to post, and to register new accounts.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 19, 2011 14:04:22 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 19, 2011 14:58:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 19, 2011 14:58:11 GMT -6

It's hard for me to convey feelings of sadness with something other than "I'm so sorry to hear that" or variants, and without exaggerating. I'm really thankful that The Avatar RP was created, because it was my first RP site and has not only helped me learn about RPG, but also about English. Four and a half years ago I was just a kid who knew a bit of English and thought he could rule the world, but today I can have daily conversations with others in perfect English and they'd never know I'm French - sometimes I even THINK in English and it surprises me, true story. I don't think I'd be the way I am now without TARP, really. But I'm glad to know that the stuff that's already on here will remain, because a lot of things happened in those five years and it would be a shame to see it all disappear.

I wish everyone the best for the rest of their RPing and writing life *bows respectfully to the site*
anmi48
Jan 19, 2011 18:09:14 GMT -6

Post by anmi48 on Jan 19, 2011 18:09:14 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
... I just barely got here... and now it's closing...? I was looking forward to meeting everyone...

But... well... I can understand. It's okay, no explanation necessary; things just happen.

I really wish I'd had a chance to RP here before this happened... To meet everyone, like I said before.

Oh well... everything must end sometime.

It was great to be here, however brief.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 19, 2011 18:11:22 GMT -6

Smellerbee, when we decided I honestly thought of you immediately. If you'd like a private RP with me reprising my role as Jet, we can talk about it via PM. :]
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jan 20, 2011 3:05:10 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 20, 2011 3:05:10 GMT -6

Well. Forgive my inelegance, but this just plain sucks. Still, I see where you're coming from and I know that this cannot have been an easy decision. I hope that the site does get picked up again, 'cause there where some fantastic people on here with great writing skill.

So, for everyone I RP'ed with, thanks for you're time. For everyone who I talked to to, it was a pleasure. To all that I never interacted with, sorry.

If anyone wants to RP still, like Kami said, PM me and hopefully I'll be able to oblige.

So long for now!
Anonymous
Jan 22, 2011 3:55:48 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 22, 2011 3:55:48 GMT -6

@toph--regarding activity--it's actually not just TARP that has sunk in activity. it's mostly the avatar community as a whole. I'm a member of several other avatar fansites, and even the best of the best are in a depression/recession so to speak, right now.

one of my sites said they would at least hold out till legend of Korra was released. I mean, the fact that the show has been over for two going on three years kinda puts a damper on a lot of stuff IMHO.

I just don't want to see this place go just yet.

ealso, ADD moment--sorry for the bad typing. I had to jack an internet signal using my awesome skills, and surpriosingly, the subzero temperatures of the metropolitan area of NOrthern Utah don't have a decent signal where I'm at. this, I'm shivering as I write this, and my fingers are going numb.

but TARP was one of the sites that made all that effort worth it.

for that, I thank you all, and hope to see something come out of this site other than closure... someday.

~Tenoko~
hankdetank
Jan 24, 2011 16:25:08 GMT -6

Post by hankdetank on Jan 24, 2011 16:25:08 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lol this is like waiting to get punched. You know it's coming but you keep wincing in nervous anticipation.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jan 26, 2011 3:21:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 26, 2011 3:21:34 GMT -6

hankdetank Avatar
Lol this is like waiting to get punched. You know it's coming but you keep wincing in nervous anticipation.

Yea the past year or so on tarp has been like that... though I am one to blame for it too. I wasn't exactly very active myself.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jan 26, 2011 6:55:11 GMT -6

Just a reminder, there are FIVE DAYS from this post til TARP's closure.

Please be sure to wrap up your in-thread RPs by then. As stated before, our logins will remain open, all boards will remain visible, and the PM system will be available. We will, however, be turning off the ability to create new accounts & to post on the boards roughly around 12:00 AM CST (-6GMT) on 02.01.2010, give or take.

Once again, we appreciate everyone's participation and loyalty to the site. You guys are all amazing.
Hopefully this is not the end, however, so let's keep our fingers crossed for Korra!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jan 26, 2011 6:55:59 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 26, 2011 16:30:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 26, 2011 16:30:38 GMT -6

Oh~ would it be possible to leave the general board active? For a meet and greet kind of place for members, possibly give them a little space to meet the users they have not. :) Just a mild suggestion. Since a lot of people only really actively RPed with a few people while they were here.
hanabi
Jan 26, 2011 21:43:59 GMT -6

Post by hanabi on Jan 26, 2011 21:43:59 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Can we wrap up the Earth Kingdom posts first? We're at the finale of the arc and I would like to see it to it's ending before close down.

I'm not saying keep the site up, but I am asking that you allow us to finish our thread. Disable the signups or whatnot that you have planned but allow us to wrap up. It's almost done.
This user is a guest