The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Happy 12th Anniversary, TARP!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 1, 2017 1:21:18 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
It's October, and that means on 08 October 2017 we will be celebrating TARP's 12th anniversary. Hooray! As a mix of celebration and "funsies" for October, we've added a Trick-or-Treat plugin to the forum. As you go through TARP, you can collect candies! Who can get the most candies by 01 November?

Now, I personally joined in November of that year, as a Global Mod. Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of the first theme I made for TARP, but here is a screengrab of the theme most people joined under in 2006 (courtesy of Archive.org)

If you weren't a member of TARP back then (I think the only person that was around back then was @saypikapika, but I'm not sure), I'm not sure you'd recognise me haha. I was a terrible writer, constantly posted in purple, and adapted a lot of linguistic ... quirks from two of my favourite characters at the time — Starfire, from Teen Titans, and Kamiya Kaoru, from Rurouni Kenshin. I cringe, honestly.

As a special treat, I've opened up our gAang Years Archives if you guys want to cringe at the bad RPs, the staff members' over estimation of their RPing abilities, and yes, even some ~drama~ from back in the day.

Like always during this time of year, I have to thank for creating TARP. I've made some wonderful friends here, some of whom I've lost touch with, and yet many more that I have developed close friendships with, most notably my fiance, and my best friend @rui (who unfortunately is no longer an active member here, but I felt deserved a mention).

TARP is also why I do what I do. It was because of Gia recruiting me to do the design work for TARP that I decided to dabble in graphic design; TARP being on ProBoards is why I became so involved in the ProBoards community; and eventually, all that work led to a passion for web development which brings me to my current job as a front-end developer / quality analyst. I literally would not be where I am today if it weren't for TARP. It's changed my life, and honestly got me through a lot of very difficult, emotionally and physically trying times.

Thank you, all of you, whether you're new here or kinda old or really old. You are wonderful and I appreciate each and every one of you for helping shape who I am today.

So yeah! Feel free to reminisce, or ask questions about TARP back in the day, or even just comment on the silly junk you find in our archives! Happy TARPiversary, everyone!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 1, 2017 15:14:54 GMT -6
Anonymous
Oct 3, 2017 19:02:32 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 3, 2017 19:02:32 GMT -6

Hoo boy, I just spend a good hour and half rereading old gAang era RP from almost ten years ago. I was a sophomore in high school then. Yikes. Man, I miss some of those characters so much (and their players--Zombi was such a joy to write with).

TARP is what got me into creative writing in general. I mean, I'd RP'd elsewhere before, but this was the first site I really stuck around on. I have so many great memories of this place. Gah, I just love TARP so much!
This user is a former member

Post by Gia on Oct 4, 2017 10:58:48 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
(Sorry, I've been working on this for days, and I've been so tired it's hard to get out.)

I can't go into how much TARP has meant to me because there are not enough words for that. For the most part - except for a couple of hiatuses - it's always there. It was always there, constant and steady. I didn't imagine when I started it that it would still be around. I'd started a lot of RP sites, as you can see a little from above. None lasted more than a year or two, some not even that long. Then there's TARP. I guess I started it at the right time in the right fandom. I started it because when I searched for an RP site to join, I found one. One. And I didn't like the way it was run, so after talking to , I started it myself and dragged her with me. (She wanted to come, don't let her lie to you.)

This is also where we met @nobody. We met in person back in 2009, because we realized that he lived very close to us. He has recently gone off to med school, so I don't know when we'll see him again, but this is where it all started.

And yes, of course, Kami - without whom, none of this would be possible. Seriously, I cannot put into words how amazing you are, and how much I love for all you do for TARP.

I wish I could make this sound better, but this is about all I got right now. I also want to say that I appreciate every single member who has joined and RPed with us - both the ones currently here, and everyone that has left in the past (and during twelve years there's a lot).
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 4, 2017 11:39:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 4, 2017 11:39:30 GMT -6

I would like to say that I was dragged here kicking and screaming, by Gia. But hey I needed something to do so that I would not do something to my family 'they drive me up the wall'. So anyways, it has been a great 12 years and we have meet a lot of great people over the years. I want to thank everyone that has put up with me over the years. And well we all have to start some where Kami, and I cringe to see how bad I was from that long ago when I first started.

Post by Gia on Oct 4, 2017 11:46:18 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Kanea Avatar
I would like to say that I was dragged here kicking and screaming, by Gia. But hey I needed something to do so that I would not do something to my family 'they drive me up the wall'. So anyways, it has been a great 12 years and we have meet a lot of great people over the years. I want to thank everyone that has put up with me over the years. And well we all have to start some where Kami, and I cringe to see how bad I was from that long ago when I first started.

LIAR!!! You wanted to come. I asked, and you said yes, don't lie. :P

And let's face it, we all sucked back then but we all thought we were so great. I cringe now, but good times, good times...
This user is Mod

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 4, 2017 18:10:32 GMT -6

The day is dragged kicking and screaming into shenanigans by is the day I eat my hat. You've always been a willing participant don't lie!

I'm going to bring this up now because if I don't Gia will: my favourite, and most EMBARRASSING memory is back when we had our "Romance Training" threads and I was RPing with... someone, I can't remember. But I was playing Katara, and I had like... this three paragraph OOC comment, and then ONE LINE of IC dialogue.

Yikes lmfao.
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Oct 4, 2017 20:17:34 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Let's not forget the thread that and Quan-Li did in Romance Training that we all raved about.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 19, 2017 11:52:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 19, 2017 11:52:17 GMT -6

Oh wow - I do remember that theme. I don't know if I believe that I was the only one around back then, though - surely like at least half of our current members were members at that time, right?

...Though after looking through the archives, I'm starting to realize how long ago it was. An actual, literal decade ago? So long ago that it's difficult to find some of my things. To be fair, almost all of it was certainly cringe-worthy lmao.

I seem to recall threads where I would try to literally outwrite my partners - looking at you ! (I'm not joking. I would be like "ok how many characters did they write?" and then jump in and try to write a longer post. No wonder it would take me so long to write a post!)

Such a feeling of nostalgia....

EDIT: Oh no. I found some. They're so much worse than I thought! x_x
Last edit by Deleted: Oct 19, 2017 11:56:04 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 20, 2017 14:59:09 GMT -6

@saypikapika, aside from me, the oldest members on the site are @nobody, @sheshelakito (on her first account anyway), and @oni, but neither of them are active anymore. And I'm not counting since she was a staff member at the time. Sooo... that leaves you! :P

You weren't the only one who would try to out-length their partners. I know and I both did our best to do that to you too :P For a long time you were our metric on how long a post of ours had to be. It got way out of hand honestly, I know there's a post where I wrote something like 20,000 characters full of nothing just for the sake of length. Yikes!
This user is Mod
Last edit: Oct 20, 2017 14:59:51 GMT -6

Post by Gia on Oct 20, 2017 15:39:10 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Yes, we were definitely on an "oooh she did 10K now I have to do 11" and yeah...
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 23, 2017 6:03:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 23, 2017 6:03:28 GMT -6

and OMG yes. So what brought that up was I found the big Hunt fight scene, right? (Can't recall exactly which thread it was... perhaps TTEK IV or something??) And people were posting their character count as OOC notes lmao.

Along the same lines, I had forgotten that I played Ty Lee for a while. She was one fun character.