The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Can I create an "established" character?

Anonymous
Sept 26, 2017 17:45:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 26, 2017 17:45:25 GMT -6

I don't think I've read anywhere stating that you couldn't create a character with specific standings, but I figured it'd be better to ask.

So, my main question is : can I create a character that's wealthy / rich, whose parents have high social standing? Or is that something reserved for canon characters / npcs? Basically, I want to know if there's freedom to create a character that's established in the world, so I don't have to do so much development when I first come in with them. Perhaps this social standing would have a closer connection to the current plots that are active (idk how yet) or something like that.

I was thinking she'd have had a high-ish ranking in one of the fire nation's military groups (not sure which yet). 

Obviously, my character wouldn't be the heir to fire nation or anything like that, but she'd be "somebody" in the area she lives, and she'd be heard of or known in a distant perspective.

Thanks!

This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Sept 26, 2017 18:33:28 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 27, 2017 11:49:22 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
We do have a rule in the Rules & FAQ, under Character Creation (specifically #3) where we ask that characters do not embody qualities, traits, or backgrounds that are similar to what we see in canon characters. In Character Creation rule #4, we do specify no military or nobility characters.

That said we are flexible when it comes to some of those things because, as you are no doubt aware, varied character backgrounds are what make RPs so fascinating and we do need some heavy-hitters to help move this plot along!

The problem we have is with trust. We have had at least a dozen people in the last year alone beg us for more important story characters when they first join, to which we have complied with a few caveats, only to have them get entrenched in multiple story plots and then disappear after maybe a month (one person disappeared literally the day after I approved their character idea, without ever submitting an application) without warning or explanation, leaving their partners and plots hanging. The amount of hand-waving I've had to do in my own threads & to the overarching plot because of this is really frustrating, and I'm sure other players share this sentiment.

Having high ranking characters (socially, militarily, politically, etc) requires trust — we need to be able to trust you that you won't use your character's power to godmode, or alter the plot from what and I have planned, and whatnot. It's hard to have that trust in someone who has just joined.

I will be willing to hear your ideas via PM however, so we can see if we can reach a compromise or deal about the character. (:

EDIT: Ah, I see you submitted an application without waiting for a response. I do have qualms about this character, so please send me a PM at your earliest convenience. I'm not necessarily disallowing it, so please don't be discouraged, we just need to talk some finer points over (:

Also, in the future, if you want your character to be personally affected by a general plot please send me or a PM first. For example, you've stated that your character's father was killed in the Koh Festival attack — however, there are no casualties in that attack at this point in time.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 27, 2017 11:53:20 GMT -6