The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

All About The Lotus

Anonymous
Jul 22, 2017 14:30:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 22, 2017 14:30:04 GMT -6

Old Pa was dozing off in the sunshine. It was a nice day by his standards, not too warm, not too cold, the sun stroked his face gently, and so he was about to drift off to sleep, when he felt someone nudge him. It took a few tries to actually get his attention.

"What is it?" It was a teenager that was nudging him.

"You can't hoard this table all day, old man. We want to play too!"

"Oh." He said, surprised. He was sitting in front of a Pai Sho table at the park. Of course he was. The Pai Sho tables had the most comfortable seats.

"Move, old man, we don't have all day!" The teenager insisted. Old Pa blew a raspberry and lowered his hat to cover his eyes. The teenager tipped it upwards. "We want to play!"

"Pffft. I'm not going anywhere. If you want to play, play. But you'll have to defeat me first."

"Fine." The teenager said, exasperated, and sat across the table. "Let's get this over with. Guys, just wait a moment. Won't take long."

"Oh, that's a given." Old Pa agreed and smirked.

"Come again!" Old Pa said cheerfully, as the guy slammed his fist on the board, after his humiliating defeat. "Now then..." He muttered to himself, lowered the hat again and dozed off.

"Come on, man, he's not even worth it. Look, the other table is free now." One of the teenager's friends said.

"I don't want to play anymore. Let's go." And so they left, leaving the seat empty, and Old Pa in peace.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 22, 2017 14:30:47 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 22, 2017 18:28:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 22, 2017 18:28:08 GMT -6

It was one of Sek's rare days off — the sun was shining beautifully, the air was... tolerable, and the various fauna of the park were chirping happily. It was truly a wonderful day.

The only thing that could make it better was simply finding something to do. The markets had entertained them for a while, especially since they finally found a good hot sauce vendor, but they still needed something to do for the rest of the afternoon.

After wandering through the park for a little while longer, they encountered a scenario that was rather interesting: watching rambunctious teenagers get absolutely thwarted by an elderly man at Pai Sho. He didn't even seem worried, in fact egging the teenager on, seeing if his opponent could be made to make a mistake. And did they — they were aggravated into going full offense, allowing all three of his White Lotus tiles to slip by with ease.

Scratching their chin in amusement, they watched as the teenagers sulked away and the old fellow lowered his hat. This certainly could be interesting. So, they approached, making sure that they caught the stranger's attention before speaking.

"Excuse me, sir," Sek clasped their fists together in a traditional Earth Kingdom greeting, "I couldn't help but watch your game of Pai Sho, and I feel like we could be fantastic opponents. Would you fancy playing a game or three?"
Anonymous
Jul 23, 2017 5:11:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 23, 2017 5:11:14 GMT -6

Ah, a new opponent, he figured, and took a good look at the new fellow. Not a teenager, he realized. He fixed his hat so that it'd work as a hat and not as a sleep mask and stood upright. It took a few wiggles to find a comfortable sitting position, but eventually he was nice and comfy.

"Such a polite youngun." He mused and stroked his long beard. "Mm, yes, yes." He reached into the inside of his robe and pulled out a coin pouch. "But I am a bit parched. Could you do an old man a favor and get me a cold jasmine tea from that stand?" He asked, as he laid out the necessary coins for the purchase. "I would go myself, but I am not as swift as I once was, and it would take so much more time that we could use playing." He laid out a few more coins.

"Get yourself a drink too. I've heard the melon juice is quite refreshing. Get this, and then we can play."
Anonymous
Jul 23, 2017 6:29:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 23, 2017 6:29:33 GMT -6

"Don't go mucking around with the tiles now," they said with a smirk playing on their features. As they picked up the coin offered, they said, "you can't fleece me that easily."

They walked to the nearby stand, picking up the cold jasmine tea for the old fellow, and a melon juice for themselves. After briefly checking on their Pai Sho table, they moved to the dumpling stand next to it, and purchased a veritable pile of dumplings to share. After thanking both vendors for their skill and products, they ambled back over to their Pai Sho table and presented the goods.

"Your cold jasmine tea, a melon juice for myself, and a peace offering of dumplings to share." They gently placed everything down next to the Pai Sho board, and was glad that the table was definitely one of the larger ones.

As they were making themselves comfortable, Sek asked: "do you have any particular house rules you like to apply, or are you an all-or-nothing kind of guy?"
Anonymous
Jul 23, 2017 7:18:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 23, 2017 7:18:28 GMT -6

"Had I wanted to fleece you, I would have wagered for my drink." He joked with a smile. Well, it was partly a joke. He could have done that, just as well. When the not-a-teenager returned with the drinks and the dumplings, he was pleasantly surprised.

"Ah. I like the way you think, youngun." He picked one up gingerly and slowly chewed on it, as he contemplated.

"The rules are the same as they are everywhere. Nothing more, nothing less." He explained. "The White Lotus decides the game and that's it." He took the last bite from the dumpling and wiped his hands on his robe.

"That's a very good dumpling." His hand moved to his tiles. "We each have the same number of tiles." Then his hand moved to the jasmine tea. He picked it up, took a long sip. "Ah, excellent. We may begin. The first move is yours."
Anonymous
Jul 23, 2017 11:55:54 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 23, 2017 11:55:54 GMT -6

"A good choice." Sek commented. They considered the board, running strategies and tactics through their head. "I don't believe I introduced myself, and I do apologise. My name is Sek Hei-Ming, but please, call me Sek. What can I call you?"

Sek hoped their opponent didn't mind them playing patiently and slowly: it was the way they were taught. Never make a move you're unsure of, and strike when you're confident. After finishing their first dumpling, they moved, simply pushing one Lily tile forward.

"It's been a while since I last played, so you'll have to pardon my rustiness." Confident that they made a good first move, they sat back, and slowly drank from their melon juice.
Anonymous
Jul 23, 2017 12:35:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 23, 2017 12:35:49 GMT -6

"Everyone calls me Old Pa." He said, and made a long, long pause, before speaking again. "For the friends, it is also Old Pa." He shook his tea a bit, instead of stirring it. "So you can call me Old Pa."

It almost looked like he was contemplating his move, but it turned out that no, he was just talking. "Fitting name, isn't it? Nice to meet you, Sek."

He finally turned his attention to the board and looked at the tiles. He bent over a little and squinted in contemplation. A bit of gas fled him with a squeak. He didn't even hear it.

"Ah, yes." He muttered and made his move, a move that clearly didn't need that much thinking.
Anonymous
Jul 23, 2017 13:42:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 23, 2017 13:42:21 GMT -6

"Old Pa?" Sek considered the name briefly, before shrugging. "A lovely name, for what I assume to be a lovely man."

They watched the old man bend over and release some gas, before making his first move. He was such a typical old man, a stereotypical geezer so to speak, that Sek was almost amused. To make sure they didn't seem rude, they took their recently purchased hot sauce bottle, poured it over some dumplings, and started eating.

The spice actually tickled their throat, which was a lovely surprise.

While chewing, they made their move precisely.

When their mouth was empty, they spoke. "I'm a recent transfer, so having the ability to sit down and relax in Republic City is a blessing. Thank you again, Old Pa."
Anonymous
Jul 23, 2017 14:13:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 23, 2017 14:13:24 GMT -6

He took another dumpling, chewed on it for a while, and then washed it down with his tea. He considered dipping it in the sauce, but then he remembered that spicy things give him gas.

"Not from here then, are you?" He inquired and reached over to the board, his eyes scanning every tile. He moved his hand back and stroked his beard as he gave it some more thought. "I am not either. Republic City didn't even exist when I was born. It was a while ago."

He raised his eyebrows and leaned in again, made his move and sat back down.

"What brings you here then?"
Anonymous
Jul 24, 2017 13:05:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 24, 2017 13:05:26 GMT -6

"I'd certainly be worried if you were born before the creation of Republic City and you look like that." Sek joked, hoping it'd go down well. Their sense of humour was rather dry, and more often than not went over people's heads. Well, if it did go wrong, there was nothing wrong with an honest apology and admitting one's faults.

Instead of taking their turn, they stretched their shoulders and neck a little, and considered Old Pa's question. "Job opportunity. Well..." Nervous wasn't the best way to describe Sek's tone: hesitant seemed more fitting. While they tried to find words to continue the sentence in a coherent manner, they rubbed the shrapnel around their left eye absentmindedly. "Half job opportunity, half wanting a change of scenery. It's been... lovely and quiet so far, aside from the obvious job chaos."

With their answer out the way, they took their turn, beginning to set up a more defensive play to see how Old Pa reacted.

"What about you? What brought you to Republic City?"
Anonymous
Jul 25, 2017 9:53:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 25, 2017 9:53:18 GMT -6

"Oh you. I know I look dashing, but yes, I'm over 90 years old. Republic City is a babe in comparison." He said and laughed. His laughter was always loud and rich, it always filled the room, but it never hurt people's ears. Perhaps he couldn't hear how loud he was laughing to control it, so it was good that he didn't have to.

When Sek said the word "chaos", he laughed again, but it only lasted a second that time, and then he excused himself with a dry cough. It was more of a sarcastic laugh that time, but only for those that could hear the slightest tilt in its tone. "If it's quiet for me, it makes sense, but I think you should be listening more closely, my friend." He said and tapped at his forehead.

He bent closer and stuck his tongue out in contemplation. "Ah, yes, yes." He muttered to himself and made his move. There was no change to his strategy so far. What was his strategy anyway? He didn't have any tells.

"I've lived here before, for over thirty years, but when you travel as much as I have, it feels new when you return."
Anonymous
Jul 26, 2017 10:12:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 26, 2017 10:12:13 GMT -6

Sek stared at Old Pa as he made his move. His strategy was just... pure and utter chaos. He played whatever, did whatever, changed goals half way through his turn, and somehow, it was working this early on. Whatever strategy Sek put in play, it was immediately countered by the sheer randomness of whatever Old Pa would do his turn.

"Believe me, if I listened any more closely, my ear would be in the dirt." Sek admitted. "And 90? You barely look a day older than 89." That focused frown turned into a smirk. There was something... easy and relaxing about Old Pa. He was currently somewhere where someone could put their feet up and have a good chat to, if anything, and honestly? Sek appreciated that.

"So, where have you been? I'm a recent Ba Sing Se transplant, but I haven't been anywhere else, admittedly."
Anonymous
Jul 27, 2017 11:08:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 27, 2017 11:08:59 GMT -6

"Maybe that's not such a bad thing." He said. "I've heard that listening to the earth can be advantageous." He added. At least earthbenders thought so. He made his next move so fast, it was almost like he wasn't thinking about it anymore.

"I know. I've heard that before. They had to shout it though." He was taking each compliment in stride, grinning. He tapped his ear and winked.

He stroked his beard, as he thought for an answer that would cover it. "I've been to every place that has a name in the map, and then places without names as well. It was a long two decades of travel, at least. By the time I returned, cars were moving on their own." He said it the way he'd say what he had for lunch that day.

"Ba Sing Se was nice when I went. I'm sure it still is."
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 27, 2017 11:09:45 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 27, 2017 12:31:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 27, 2017 12:31:29 GMT -6

"Oh, certainly. Toph Beifong certainly proved that listening to the Earth and all of its senses other than just sight is advantageous. Without her, we wouldn't have the beauty of metalbending."

It was almost frustrating that Old Pa did his moves without a care in the world. He sometimes just slid the tiles across without even looking. It would've been amusing if he wasn't thoroughly destroying them.

Carefully sliding a tile to the side to see if simply ignoring his strategy would work, Sek continued the conversation. "I grew up in the Middle Ring. It's nice. I miss the street food, if I'm honest."
Anonymous
Jul 29, 2017 11:52:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 29, 2017 11:52:27 GMT -6

"It was incredible, how a young person such as herself managed to make such a groundbreaking, heh, discovery. Then again, she truly is the best earthbender in the world, so to those that hear the story now, it doesn't come as much of a surprise. Imagine how it was back then." He just kept on being that old guy that knew things. He usually didn't regale people with stories, but he enjoyed the interest.

For his next move, he didn't make a move. Instead, he pulled a skip right out of the rule book, and rotated the same last piece he had moved in his previous turn. Then he picked up another dumpling. Dumplings were nice.

"I don't remember the street food. I remember the tea though. There was a nice tea shop, I just don't remember which ring it was in. Definitely not the outer one." He said and scratched his chin.

"Have you met Beifong's progeny yet? She's rather... Stoic."
Anonymous
Jul 29, 2017 14:53:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 29, 2017 14:53:14 GMT -6

"Good luck finding that particular tea shop, there's more and more popping up every day that it became headache-inducing to keep track of." It was the honest truth, and to think that a good chunk of those would be fronts for various criminal endeavours made Sek shiver.

When Old Pa took his next turn by simply rotating the same piece he used last turn, Sek felt a part of her brain wither and die. They hoped it wasn't the logic part of their brain, they actually needed that part. So, in return, they moved their next piece, hopefully setting up a combination for the next turn to take out multiple of Old Pa's pieces in one fell sweep.

"Have you met Beifong's progeny yet? She's rather... stoic."

Sek let the question simmer for a moment. They dipped their dumpling in so more hot sauce, chewed slowly and swallowed before answering. "Funny you should mention her. She's my boss."
Anonymous
Jul 30, 2017 11:32:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 30, 2017 11:32:59 GMT -6

"Back then, there was only one that mattered." He said and took a sip from his jasmine tea. "But this tea is good too." He said. Then he got lost in contemplation. His eyes were on the board, could he be thinking about his next move? He took another sip from the tea.

"I think I'll go have noodles after this." That was what bothered him. Once he made his decision, he simply rotated a different piece and ended his turn.

When they said that Beifong was their boss, he looked straight at them. "I know. This is why I asked. She may look all tough, but she has a soft spot for me. Just ask her about Old Pa, she will tell you all sorts of stories. We've been through so much, her and I." He said and grinned. It sounded true, but those that knew Old Pa would be a bit suspicious. For all Sek knew, Beifong might start ranting about his antics right there and then.
Anonymous
Aug 9, 2017 9:51:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 9, 2017 9:51:50 GMT -6

"It's a shame that they're all presumed dead," Sek added, "the new Chief is good, but I have huge respect for the Beifongs, and I hope the spirits are kind to them."

Sek considered the board while dipping their dumplings in more hot sauce than absolutely necessary. When biting down, they didn't even flinch, and instead said, "can I ask something? Just what are you doing with this game? I've been trying to guess your tactics but they're more erratic than a fire ferret on a sugar high."
Anonymous
Aug 9, 2017 13:47:19 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 9, 2017 13:47:19 GMT -6

Old Pa's memory didn't serve him well. He was unaware of the apparent developments. "Dead? Pah, too young to be dead. If I'm still alive, so should they be too." Hope disguised as denial was the best he could offer the young detective.

Once they asked their question, he stroked his beard pensively, and then grinned. "Funny you should ask. This tactic doesn't have a name, but if I were to name it, I'd call it the "Brewmaster"." He spoke the name pompously, spreading his arms for effect. Of course, he was joking. There was no way that he would reveal his secret.

"As for what I'm doing, I'll tell you once you're done with your turn. Hee, hee." That didn't sound ominous at all. He definitely didn't consider the game to be already over, no, no, no.