The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

A Push and a Pull

Anonymous
Jun 8, 2017 22:15:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 8, 2017 22:15:59 GMT -6

Mitsuko wandered around the flower shop, pacing back and forth. She was supposed to be working but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't focus. She couldn't stop herself from thinking about the headline and she wished it were just that, a headline. But it wasn't. It was real and it seemed like no cared about it except for nonbenders. It wasn't right and as she closed her eyes she could only imagine what it must have been like to be there. Shuddering at the thought, the sound of a bell caught her attention, signaling that a customer had entered. As she looked up, she saw her boss, who was also the owner of the quaint shop, was already taking care of it. Grateful, Mitsuko continued her pacing, every thought she had contradicting the last.

Go. Don't go. Those people need your help. Those people don't want your help.

Mitsuko frowned, as much as she usually loved it, the aroma of all the different flowers were beginning to give her a headache. Then again, maybe she was bringing it upon herself. Glancing around at the rainbow of colors she thought to herself, What do you even have to offer? You aren't a healer. You have minimal medical knowledge and you don't exactly have a surplus of supplies to donate.

The sound of the bell distracted her from her thoughts once more and her head snapped up to see a young woman had entered. One quick glance showed her that her boss was still occupied with the previous customer and after putting a smile on her face approached her. Mitsuko gave her the usual spiel about the different types of flowers they had and the deeper meanings each one held but she was more distant than usual. It must have showed because after the customer had left, her boss took one look at her and smiled.

"Go."

Mitsuko clapped her hands together, a smile spreading on her face. "Really?! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

All her boss did in response was nod her head and wave goodbye. Moving as quickly as she could, Mitsuko tore off the apron she wore over her dress and haphazardly hung it up as she rushed from the shop. Her feet hit the pavement hard, sending the smallest vibrations through them with each step she took. Rushing through the streets she was reminded of just how many people really lived in the city, it was an easy thing to forget unless, of course, you were in a hurry to get somewhere. She didn't really know herself why she was in such a rush, just that she couldn't suppress the feeling of urgency she felt in her heart. Still, the doubts clouded her mind and as her feet slowed in front of the Temple of Koh, she suddenly felt sick with worry. Swallowing down her fears as best she could, she approached the other volunteers at the gate.

"I want to help. I can help with simple medical tasks such as changing bandages and cleaning wounds or I could hand out food. Anything. I just want to do something."

Maybe it was because she felt partially responsible as a bender for what happened or maybe it was simply because she understood how tragic the event was, maybe it was something else entirely. Either way, Mitsuko, even with her doubts, knew that she refused to sit by and watch silently as something like this happened. People needed to help in situations like this, bender or nonbender.

This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 10, 2017 21:01:15 GMT -6

Post by Ren on Jun 9, 2017 18:03:57 GMT -6

Ren Avatar
In the few days since the attack, Ren found herself making the trip from her little town to Downtown Republic City more often than she had in the last two years since becoming an Acolyte. She still attended her once-weekly meditation days on Air Temple Island, but Johar had sown the seed of compassion: she could no longer sit by idly while others suffered. How could she, an Air Acolyte, following the ways of the Air Nomads which emphasised above all a respect for all life, not do something to help the people suffering under her own nose?

So she found her way to the main Temple of Koh. After the first eventful day with the firebender, Ren noticed that there were a handful of benders who were allowed on the grounds. This surprised her; while the Monks had never explicitly forbade benders as a whole — though, she had heard they objected to certain individual benders at times — by and large benders avoided the Monks and the Temples for fear of their patron spirit and history with the Galgori.

Which, honestly, made very little sense to Ren. Everyone born in the United Republic had some Galgori heritage somewhere. When the Galgori escaped the Fire Nation, they first landed on these shores; this area eventually became the Fire Nation colonies, and then the United Republic. No one looked at people of Galgori descent with suspicion anymore, it was just... a non issue. No one ever talked about it.

Or maybe you're just too sheltered to hear about it, murmured a little voice in her head.

She pushed the thought away.

On the fourth day since the attack, she was assigned to help at the makeshift hospital. She had been studying on the medicinal properties of the "household herbs" the book she borrowed had described, and had volunteered for some lighter healing services — minor abrasions, assisting other, more experienced volunteers, and the like. The critically injured individually were — thank the Spirits — still all alive, though there was a rumour on the grounds that the individual with third degree burns from head to toe was not long for this world.

As she headed to the Temple proper, one of the regular volunteers standing by the main gate waved her over. They stood next to a brown skinned woman dressed in blue who wore a very determined look on her face.

Ren came over with a smile. "Can I help?" she said, her husky voice pleasant.

The volunteer gestured to the woman briefly, murmuring a few words about 'showing her around'; some of the volunteers took on the qualities of the Monks, and this volunteer was one of them. Wordlessly, they turned and headed in another direction, offering no further explanation. It was odd, but she was getting used to such comings and goings and the expectation she would be able to understand without speaking. It wasn't all that dissimilar from Air Temple Island in that regard, though a touch... creepier, especially when done by the Monks.

Noticing the tell-tale blue eyes of a waterbender, Ren smiled, knowing she was also conspicuous in her scarlet and gold robes. She held out a hand.

"I'm Ren," she said, her voice gentle and sweet. "I'm just heading over to the Temple proper, if you'd like to join me? I'll be assisting with the injured today."
This user is from the FN
Anonymous
Jun 9, 2017 19:55:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 9, 2017 19:55:38 GMT -6

Mitsuko watched the volunteer in anticipation, wondering if she would be allowed in. She knew it was obvious that she was a waterbender, everything about her just screamed it, from her skin to her eyes to even the way she carried herself. She had never been one to hide her bending abilities, she never had the need to. Now things were changing and she had started to wonder if maybe she should tone things down a bit. Start practicing more at home instead of public parks, leave the dream of becoming a pro-bender. There had already been incidents with pro-benders in the past, they were some of the most prominent benders in Republic City after all. If there was ever going to be an attack on benders they would be the first targets. Granted, that would only be something Mitsuko had to worry about if she actually made it in which might not be too likely. There was still a lot of competition for spots even with the anti-bending sentiment that had begun to spread.

After realizing how negatively she was thinking of those that disliked benders, she silently chided herself. Just look at where you are. No wonder they don't like benders, the anti-nonbender sentiment is jut as bad. Mitsuko wondered why it had gotten so bad, how it had gotten so bad, so fast. It was like one day everything was fine and then the next everything was on a downwards spiral of chaos and riots. Maybe that's because you only noticed it when it affected you directly.

She saw a woman out of the corner of her eye wearing gold and red robes, the sign of an Air Acolyte. It wasn't often for Mitsuko to see them and especially to speak to one. In fact, during her past three years in the city she couldn't recall a time where she ever had. She appreciated them for what they did, preserving a culture and history that would probably fade into nothingness if no one did anything to remember it. As she watched the woman make her way over, Mitsuko noted that she seemed wise beyond her years and beyond kind. Perhaps it was the glasses placed low on her nose or her gray hair tied in a braid that made her seem so, but seeing that she was volunteering and with the warm smile she wore, Mitsuko believed that she was someone who was good in the world.

Her eyes followed the woman as she approached the volunteer Mitsuko had spoken to. Something was unsettling about the entire exchange. Not so much on the Air Acolyte's part, but the way the other barely muttered a word before turning and leaving, utterly emotionless. Mitsuko didn't have much experience with the Monks or their regular volunteers and after seeing how they acted, she didn't blame people for not being eager to run to the Temple to help. This person was only a volunteer and Mitsuko wondered what an actual Monk would be like. She theorized that they would be so calm to the point that it was terrifying.

The Air Acolyte reached out a hand with a smile, "I'm Ren. I'm just heading over to the Temple proper, if you'd like to join me? I'll be assisting with the injured today."

Mitsuko took Ren's hand, returning the smile, "Nice to meet you, Ren. I'm Mitsuko and I would love to join you. Please, lead the way. I haven't been here yet so all of this is new to me. Knowing me, I'm sure I'd find a way to get lost so thank you." Mitsuko paused for moment, almost afraid to ask the question. "How are they? The victims I mean. Is it as bad as I've been hearing?"

Post by Ren on Jun 9, 2017 21:05:27 GMT -6

Ren Avatar
"Mitsuko is a very pretty name," Ren said shyly, thanking the Spirits that her stutter hadn't made itself known. Perhaps, dealing with volunteers day in and day out, she was getting more used to speaking to strangers.

She lead the way to the Temple, talking as she walked. Her voice was sombre as she made her way up the steps. "It's my first day helping medically, but I hear that all fourteen of those in critical condition remain as such. There was a fifteenth, but he passed away the same day." Ren shook her head gently in lament.

"There are a few people here who stable but are being kept for safety's sake." As they passed a small makeshift receptionist table, they were handed small papers and safety pins and instructed to write their names and pin the paper to their chest. Ren took the pen from the volunteer, the ink-stained fingers of her left hand apparent as she wrote her name in obviously well-practice script before passing the pen to Mitsuko.

Pinning the tag on her robes, Ren had a glance around. The Temple interior was simple, if the antechamber was anything to go by. The walls were made out of stone, with high arched windows. The furniture was a mix of metal and wood, a hodgepodge collection of donated pieces. There were multiple offshoot chambers for private study and reflection, and all had been turned into recovery rooms. Volunteers hurried to and fro, though, Ren assumed, at a much less hectic pace than what Johar had described on the day of the attack.

Then there were the Monks.

The area seemed to be manned entirely by volunteers, save for one. A nurse's cap was perched almost comically on their head as they walked across the long hall and disappeared up a flight of stairs. Ren couldn't suppress her shudder. Even from afar, the eyeless masks gave her the creeps. There was also something bizarre in the way the Monk moved, as if they weren't actually walking at all, but gliding across the floor. Which was, of course, impossible.

Right?

Another volunteer appeared before them, motioning with a grave face that they should follow. Ren glanced at Mitsuko as they were handed a clipboard with a few patient charts and instructed they should look after the people in the first room on the right. This volunteer was less like the Monks than the first, and they waved good bye and offered an encouraging smile before disappearing into a different room.

The first patient was a young woman obviously on the mend, though her broken legs were covered in plaster and lifted off the bed in a makeshift sling hanging from the ceiling. She greeted them cheerily, and Ren noted that one of the bottles dripping into her intravenous line was a very strong painkiller.

Ren gestured to Mitsuko. "I'm... I'm not exactly sure where the Monks stand on healing with bending on their land," she said uncertainly. The knowledge of Mitsuko's bending skills needed no introduction or explanation of how Ren had come to know. It was as plain as... well, the eyes on her face. "But I can't see the harm in assessing the extent of the injuries with it."
This user is from the FN
Anonymous
Jun 10, 2017 19:42:40 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 10, 2017 19:42:40 GMT -6

Nodding her head in thanks to Ren's compliment, she listened quietly as she explained. As Ren spoke, Mitsuko couldn't help but frown at her words, the ones she now found in repeating in her head. Fourteen in critical condition with one dead. If that was the case that meant it could mean only a matter of time before other's passed as well. She was glad she had chosen to come in when she did, it sounded like they needed all the help they could get.

They paused at what looked like a table to sign-in. It was obviously thrown together at the last minute and the person working had heavy bags under their eyes and their hair half pulled up. It must have fallen out after working and with the messy state that it was in, it showed that they had likely been helping since the attacked happened. After watching as Ren filled out her name and placed a pin to her robes with ink-stained fingers in a few short graceful movements. It appeared as though she had a large amount of practice writing with how smooth her lines were. Mitsuko copied her movements, signing her name in a messy scrawl instead. Though she had done it often during the course of her life, she never was able to pen perfectly curved lines when writing. As she was finishing up, she took a minute to really look at the Temple. Like she had said, Mitsuko had never actually been to it before and although it was in a much different state then it usually was, she could make out what was probably normal and what was not.

The volunteers, for example, who scurried back and forth never quite stopping, were out of place in the simple area. When Mitsuko heard the word temple, she had always assumed that it would have intricate architecture or beautiful designs, perhaps even statues littered throughout. But it wasn't really like that at all. It, like the Monks that resided in it, was all so calm, so tranquil, and if not for all the people, maybe even peaceful. It was the Monks though, that froze her in her steps, making her forget almost entirely about what she was supposed to be doing. The eyeless mask they wore still gave off the impression that they were watching every little thing. Mitsuko had been right about her earlier assumption. Yes, the first volunteer she had interacted with was unsettling but the Monk that she now watched walk across the temple grounds was something worse. Something she couldn't even describe as just unsettling.

The volunteer that approached Mitsuko and Ren was a good distraction and Mitsuko was finally capable of tearing her gaze from the Monk. This person was also quite cheerful and kind, directing them of where they could start. Mitsuko found herself in front of a young woman who offered a smile. She returned this smile but as she heard Ren's words she felt it falter just the tiniest bit.

Glancing back at Ren, Mitsuko nodded, "Of course. I'll try my best."

Mitsuko had been given very brief training on healing back in the Northern Water Tribe and while she was confident in the fact that she wasn't the greatest healer and was much more of a fighter, she was skilled enough to assess the damages. Sitting down next to the patient, she looked around to see a small tub of water nearby that was likely for treating any burns. Before doing any bending she looked over to the patient once more, "My name is Mitsuko. I'm hoping to gauge how bad your injuries are or if there is anything that maybe went unnoticed when you were looked at. I'll be using waterbending to do so, is that okay?"

All the patient did was nod her head although the surprise and slight disdain was obvious in her eyes. Moving her hands slowly, Mitsuko watched as the water gracefully lifted from the tub and moved it over the young woman. She felt everyone's eyes on her, Mitusko knew she was being watched. She was probably one of the only waterbenders to come and actually use her bending on temple grounds. Even though she didn't see any Monks in sight, she got the feeling that somehow they were capable of seeing her. It was silly, really. That would have been impossible but despite Mitsuko knowing this, the nerves still remained.

After closing her eyes, she shifted the water every so often, moving it around the young woman's body. As she moved the water over the patients right leg, her eyes flung open. It was in horrible shape. The burns on the skin didn't seem to be healing and they were actually reacting negatively to whatever had previously been used on it.

She glanced up at Ren with her eyebrows bent in concern, "The right leg is in bad shape. I don't think just using herbs or leaving it propped up and wrapped will fix it.  The burns are far too serious for that. I can try and fix it but I'm not sure how the Monks will react."
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 10, 2017 21:04:38 GMT -6

Post by Ren on Jun 11, 2017 20:00:50 GMT -6

Ren Avatar
With a frown, Ren flipped through the patient's charts. There was no mention of burns on the patient's leg, but rather two fractured bones. It was possible that in the aftermath of the attack the burns were simply left to heal on their own and the legs set.

"I... I don't know," she replied nervously. "I don't think the Monks would like bending so much. I mean..."

Luckily, she was saved by another volunteer coming in with a load of fresh sheets. Ren pulled her aside and murmured their findings, glossing over exactly how much waterbending had been used to diagnose the patient further. The volunteer paled and, after a few words in response, passed the sheets to Ren before bustling out of the room.

Ren's frown deepened as she turned to Mitsuko. "I think they've gone to get someone," she said, as low as possible. "There's nothing on the charts that would say that she had burns on her legs, just fractures, which is why I think they've been propped up." She wrinkled her nose, pushing her glasses back up absently. If only Johar were here! Surely he could say what to do.

But alas, he was wherever he was during the week, and she was alone and completely out of her element.

"I guess the question is, do we risk the bones not setting properly to treat the burns, or risk necrosis to treat the fractures?"
This user is from the FN
Anonymous
Jun 11, 2017 20:25:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 11, 2017 20:25:11 GMT -6

The Monk with the white nurse's cap glides into the room, surveying the occupants before settling their gaze on two very conspicuous figures.

"A waterbender and an acolyte," they say, in what could be surprise. It's hard to tell; like all Monks, their voice is placid and absent of any tell-tale inflections that would denote emotion. They tilt their head to the side, as if considering the scene before them.

Then they step to the bed, resting a hand on the patient's forehead while examining their eyes. After a few moments, they begin removing the sling connectors from the ceiling.

"A fever," they say by way of explanation as they gently lower the broken legs onto the bed's surface.

Another Monk materialises beside them holding a pair of shears. The Nurse-Monk gestures to the waterbender. "There is another vial of medication on the counter." They rattle off the name, and instruct the waterbender to replace the vial attached to the patient's intravenous line with the full bottle, upside down to allow gravity to pull the medicine into the patient's body.

After the task is complete, the Nurse-Monk begins cutting away at the plaster casts. At first, the patient moans in agony, but after a few moments has passed into sleep. The plaster is removed and the report the waterbender gave is indeed accurate; the charred flesh underneath the cast has become infected. Something like a sigh escapes the Nurse-Monk before they turn to their colleague and murmur something unintelligible. The other Monk nods once and leaves the room silently.

The Nurse-Monk then turns their attention to the waterbender. "We do not permit bending on Temple grounds," they say softly, their calm voice hinting at no malice or disapproval. It was simply matter of fact. "But we can admit that we lack the know-how to fix this. We are not healers, we are not doctors." Their head tilts, the eyeless mask fixed on the waterbender's face. "Can you fix this?" they ask, their voice low. "Would you do so for one unlike you?"
Anonymous
Jun 11, 2017 22:37:22 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 11, 2017 22:37:22 GMT -6

In the moments that followed, an unrelenting fear swept through her entire body. She watched in part with curiosity but as she saw the short exchange between Ren and the other volunteer, that curiosity was quickly swept away by waves of a feeling of terror she had never felt before. She didn't quite know why she had been so scared except for the fact that she didn't know what the Monks would do.

"I think they've gone to get someone." Ren spoke quietly and Mitsuko gulped, her face paling as she heard the words. It was obvious that the only people who would have any type of answer would be the Monks themselves and even if they didn't do anything to necessarily hurt her, Mitsuko was not that excited to interact with any of them. What if all of this was some huge mistake because of her weak healing abilities? What if she came with the intent to help but only ended up creating further problems for everyone? Not to mention, coming here and actually interacting with the Monks as a bender was putting a giant target on her back if they were up to anything nefarious. Or what if they somehow knew who she was and who her brother was and assumed she only wanted to create further harm?

Mitsuko's hands trembled and she quickly squeezed them together in an attempt to stop their shaking. Come on, why are you so scared? You're better than this, braver. You have to be. The second you showed your enemy your fear it was putting you at an immediate disadvantage, Mitsuko had learned that at a young age. The Monks could probably sniff fear out from miles away and that would only make them assume that she was weak. In an effort to calm herself down she reminded herself that nothing would happen here, they were trying to help people at their temple, not harm others. Right? If anything were to happen to her, it would be long after she went home, in the middle of the night. Just like all the others that went missing or wound up dead. Finally she unclenched her fists, her heart rate back at a normal pace when she looked up to see the Monk from earlier, the one who wore a nurse hat upon their head.

It felt as though her heart froze when she them approaching and it took a constant effort to remind herself to stay calm the closer they got. Then the Monk spoke and the emotionless voice that came out was, expected, but still surprising. Mitsuko couldn't understand how one could speak with such a voice, one void of virtually everything. Watching carefully, Mitsuko's eyes followed the Monk's movements as they slowly lowered the patients legs down to the bed. They instructed Mitsuko to replace the vial and she did so immediately, moving briskly. One second Mitsuko was getting everything together and properly attaching the vial and the next, she glanced over to see the Nurse-Monk staring directly at her.

Even with the eyeless mask, Mitsuko felt's the Monk's gaze as it bore into her, studying her with such an intensity Mitsuko had never seen before. "Can you fix this? Would you do so for one unlike you?" The voice was quiet but to Mitsuko, it felt as if it echoed out and around her.

She swallowed and her fears with went it, her determination replacing it the more she spoke. "Yes. I can try at least. We didn't have too many burns that we had to heal up in the Northern Water Tribe but there was someone I was close with there that was a firebender, so I've had at least a little experience with them. As for your second question, of course. She is a person, someone who has a life and a family and people who care for her and I don't care if she doesn't bend. It doesn't matter to me whether someone can bend or not. These people were wrongfully hurt, wrongfully attacked. I'm not about to turn away from someone who needs help just over something as silly as bending. You don't get to chose if you're a bender or not and while waterbending is important to me and I consider it as a part of who I am, it shouldn't determine how I judge others. If I can do something about it, I have to. It's what benders should do, we have these abilities and they should be used for good not harm. So yes, I would love to help this patient, if you will only give me your permission."

Mitsuko hadn't realized how loud her voice had gotten and as she glanced around, she saw she had caught herself even more attention. If that was even possible, all circumstances considered. She looked back up to the Monk, lowering her voice back to a normal volume. "I-sorry. I got a little carried away there. I just don't like to see these kinds of things happen and then have people turn a blind eye on top of it. It's not fair."

She was unsure of what their response would be, it was impossible to gain any idea from their nonexistent body language and masks that hid any type of facial expressions. All Mitsuko could do was hope for the best.

Post by Ren on Jun 12, 2017 18:19:08 GMT -6

Ren Avatar
In the few days she had been volunteering at the Temple, she had only seen glimpses of the Monks here and there. Each time it was enough to send a visible shudder down her spine. It was easy to get used to their presence, barring that; they were quiet, soft-spoken individuals who preferred to communicate through their more trusted volunteers over directly with anyone.

So when the Monk with the nurse's cap stepped into the room, Ren was completely unprepared for the wrongness she felt. She knew she was an imposing figure in terms of her height, but though the Monk was shorter than she was she felt completely dwarfed by their presence. The eyeless mask seemingly stared at her, noting her and Mitsuko's presence with that empty, nothing voice.

She couldn't suppress a shudder as the Monk moved past her, the weight of their robes leaving a breeze in their wake. If the Monk noticed, they made no indication.

Ren watched silently as the Monk worked, moving with purpose and skill.. She gasp and clapped her hands to her mouth when the Monk removed the plaster casts. The smell of decaying flesh was an assault to her olfactory senses, and it took all of her strength not to upend the contents of her stomach all over her shoes.

The Monk began issuing orders, and Ren felt herself fading quietly into the background; this patient was out of her area of expertise. She knew, from reading, the effects of infection and necrosis of the flesh, but had no practical or theoretical experience on how to help. When the Monk issued a softly spoken challenge to Mitsuko — for it was undeniably a challenge — Ren felt a swell of pride in her chest at her new acquaintance's response. Yes, there was no need for divisive politics when people were injured. Ren made a mental note to try and introduce the young woman to Johar.

With baited breath, she waited for the Monk's response.
This user is from the FN
Anonymous
Jun 13, 2017 3:35:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 13, 2017 3:35:36 GMT -6

The waterbender's impassioned speech seems to do nothing at first. The Nurse-Monk is silent, perhaps contemplative. Only a few seconds pass, but they seem to stretch on into minutes, hours.

Then they give the slightest of nods and move to stand behind the waterbender. They place two gentle hands on her shoulders; the air crackles faintly with energy, so small that it's barely noticeable. There seems to be a sort of undercurrent, a dull hum of sorts, but is impossible to pinpoint where it is coming from.

"Begin," they command. Their gentle voice seems otherworldly, their touch simultaneously like fire and ice. The rest of the room watches with bated breath, though surreptitiously, as if they are looking at something indecent. The Nurse-Monk seems to grow, or perhaps the room begins to shrink, as they repeat the word.

"Begin."
Anonymous
Jun 13, 2017 13:17:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 13, 2017 13:17:42 GMT -6

As the Nurse-Monk places their hands on her shoulders, her back straightened, her eyes widening as she felt something go through her. It was heavy, suffocating even, and no matter what Mitsuko tried the longer the Monk pressed on her shoulders the weaker she felt. It felt like she was incapable of breathing, her bending restricted. Mitsuko had experienced many pains in her life, however, she had never been chi-blocked in any form before. This wasn't chi-blocking though, she almost wished it had been. It was something else entirely, something that restricted what she could do. On any given day, forming gigantic waves and sending them hurling in a direction would have been simple but just by the way she felt, she knew anything on that scale would have been impossible. Really doing much other than basic moves or healing would have been impossible.

What are they doing to me? What if it lasts forever? Could they take my bending away? How are they even doing this? The questions raced through her mind at a rapid pace. Whatever the Monk was doing to her hurt, it wasn't just an uncomfortable feeling, it felt as though a piece of her was slowly receding away.

"Begin." The voice echoed out but Mitsuko found herself unable to do anything. The Monk's voice was gentle but their burning cool touch proved just how threatening they were being. She was completely frozen in fear, her heart rate increasing with every second that passed. She wondered if this is what it was like for those that lost their bending to Amon, the complete and utter fear that spread out through her entire body.

"Begin." The voice spoke again and Mitsuko had no choice but to do everything in her power to ignore whatever it was that the Monk was doing to her. Lifting the water once more, this time with much more of a struggle, she watched as her hands began to glow. Placing them over the patient's legs she watched as the glowing spread out onto the young woman. The once horrid burns began to slowly disappear yet it was taking longer than usual to do so due to the Monk's touch. Eventually they dissipated completely except for a small scar on the patient's right leg. The right leg had been in worse condition and Mitsuko didn't have a plethora of experience when it came to healing so it didn't come to her as a surprise that not everything turned out perfectly. All that mattered was that the young woman would be okay.

Bending the water back where it came from and breathing out, Mitsuko looked up at the Monk. "It's done. She'll be okay." A tiny smile spread on her face as she finished speaking, she had done it. "She'll be okay." Mitsuko repeated softly, not really speaking to anyone but herself. She couldn't put her finger on why saving this woman made hope swell within her, but she saw it as a beacon of light. After all, she was a bender helping a non-bender who was harmed in an attack done by benders, the news would surely spread around. Maybe the news would inspire others. It was wishful thinking and Mitsuko knew it, but she didn't care. Maybe, just maybe, peace between the two groups wasn't so far off. And if it wasn't, Mitsuko thought that there would be people willing to work towards it, to fight for it.

Post by Ren on Jun 13, 2017 18:23:19 GMT -6

Ren Avatar
Ren was distinctly uncomfortable. The Nurse-Monk gave their approval and seemed to stand supportively behind Mitsuko, but the atmosphere of the room changed. There was something darker, in the air, something that made the hairs on her arms stand on end. It wasn't... sinister, exactly, but like the room had suddenly filled with static electricity; a little oppressive, a little charged.

But it was the look on Mitsuko's face that made Ren uncomfortable, and truth be told a little afraid. Mitsuko seemed paralysed with fear, though the Monk was doing nothing but gently clasping her shoulders. When the Monk first instructed her to begin, she did nothing. Ren was about to reach out and touch the other woman but the Monk spoke again, and this time Mitsuko moved.

It was... a strange sight. Ren had seen waterbending before — one of the acolytes at the Temple was a waterbender — but this was different. Mitsuko's movements seemed sluggish, like she was moving through a barrier of molasses. The healing worked slowly, as if something had (no pun intended) dampened the power Mitsuko held.

But eventually, the woman was healed. It wasn't as elegant as a more experienced healer might have accomplished, but the burns and infection were gone. The air smelled cleaner, even, once the legs were healed.

Ren smiled at Mitsuko, trying her best to ignore the bizarre atmosphere. "Well done!"
This user is from the FN
Anonymous
Jun 13, 2017 20:14:48 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 13, 2017 20:14:48 GMT -6

With the woman healed, the Nurse-Monk lets go of the waterbender's shoulders. Instantly, the atmosphere of the room shifts back to normal, the crackling of energy gone. The Nurse-Monk peers at the waterbender's handiwork before giving the tiniest of nods.

"Acceptable," they decree, their voice placid. They turn to go, and are almost out of the door before they look over their shoulder and back at the waterbender.

"If you should need to heal someone again, please find a Monk first." Though still toneless, it is clear this is not a suggestion. The Nurse-Monk then gestures to a cabinet on the far side of the wall. "You will find bandages, plaster, and a bucket in the cabinet; please re-plaster the patient's legs."

The Nurse-Monk pauses, then tilts their head to the side as they look at the waterbender. "I'm sure you can manage to supply the water," they add. Though the tone hasn't changed, there's a subtle nuance to it now... was that a joke?

When they leave, the room lets out a collective sigh of relief. Regardless of their kindness, there was something about the Monks that always left one on-edge.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 13, 2017 20:15:36 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 13, 2017 22:52:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 13, 2017 22:52:08 GMT -6

"Well done!" Ren smiled and although the comment was so simple, it made her feel better. Healing was something Mitsuko had been insecure about her entire life, it seemed like everyone back home was better at it. Although she could have beat many of them in combat, the Northern Water Tribe, even after all these years, still had an underlying traditional sense that girls should have been healers not fighters. It had hurt, to see everyone so amazing at something she struggled so much to do. So, despite Ren's comment being a short one, Mitsuko couldn't help the proud smile that spread on her face.

The instant the Monk let go of Mitsuko's shoulders, everything was back to normal. She could breath again, the fear had faded, and she didn't need to attempt it to know that her bending abilities had returned completely. There was no longer any pressure and Mitsuko took in a few deep breaths almost just because she could. She thought that there was a lot she could handle, but she hoped she would not have to go through it again. When the Monk said that if anyone else needed healing to reach out to another Monk, she felt a flash of disappointment. It would be good if no one else needed healing, not just for the patients themselves but for Mitsuko as well. She would endure it if she had to but she hoped that her and Ren would be able to find an alternative to help those remaining.

Then, there was the last comment the Monk made and Mitsuko was unsure whether to laugh or take the comment seriously. She ended up doing neither, instead tilting her head ever so slightly as she silently wondered what the Monks were really like deep down and if perhaps they had much more emotion then they let on to have.

After grabbing all the necessary items Mitsuko got to work, only pausing once to look up at Ren, slight embarrassment on her face, "I'm sorry but could you check that I've done everything correctly? I'm afraid this is where I'm out of my element, I admit I have the tendency to rely on my bending a little too much."

Post by Ren on Jun 16, 2017 10:45:45 GMT -6

Ren Avatar
Ren clapped her hands over her mouth to stifle a giggle. She was almost positive that the Monk was joking, but since no one else in the room laughed, she stopped herself from laughing. Still, it was a funny line, intended joke or not, and once the Monk had left she let out a little giggle-snort.

The tension in the room seemed to have evaporated with the Monk's departure, and she and Mitsuko busied themselves as per the Monk's parting instructions. Mitsuko asked for her help and with a smile the acolyte rolled up her sleeves and tossed back her braid.

"I've only got a rudimentary knowledge of setting bones," she said, her smoky voice chipper, "but there's never a bad time to test your theoretical knowledge, yes?"

She peered over the plaster job and made a few adjustments here and there; the plaster was muddy and gross to the touch, and got under her fingernails (yech!) but soon the job was complete.

"Phew," she sighed, wiping a little sweat from her brow with her sleeve. "It was mostly good, though according to what I've read some of the areas, like here, here, and here, need to be a bit tighter in order to make sure the bone sets properly."

Holding up her muck-encrusted hands, she glanced around; there was no sink for washing in this room, and they had used the water they had for the plastering. She wrinkled her nose at Mitsuko. "Care to find a washroom or something?"
This user is from the FN
Anonymous
Jun 17, 2017 20:39:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 17, 2017 20:39:46 GMT -6

Grateful for Ren's assistance, Mitsuko watched what she did in the hopes of picking up a thing or two. After all, there might not always be water nearby and she could end up in a situation where she needed to do things without bending. By the time they had finished, she found her hands covered with the remains of their work.

"I would love to go find a washroom." Mitsuko stood, chuckling as she glanced down at her dirty hands. After a short stretch, she began to walk through the temple, nodding her head in the hopes that Ren would take it as a signal to follow. Mitsuko didn't really know where she was going, just that she was going somewhere and that was bound to find them a bathroom eventually. Perhaps it wasn't the most efficient method, but it was a method nonetheless.

The further Mitsuko made it into the temple the more she realized just how bad everything was. The sheer number of patients in beds unable to move was more than she had imagined. It was one thing to read the paper and see a statistic, a number. But to see that number staring right back at her, to see it screaming and crying right in front of her face, it made her chest feel heavy. An emotional weight pressing down on her, that with every turn and every new hurt face she saw, grew heavier. However, it comforted her seeing the number of volunteers that had shown up, to see everyone who was spending their time helping. She wondered what her brother would think of if he somehow saw her there. Would he consider her a traitor? Or would he be proud? What would her parents think if they saw her? Then, she heard another small groan of pain and she realized something: she didn't care.

Still though, she heard the whispers, the shouts, the slurs. She was not truly welcome here, despite what she had done. Mitsuko didn't think she ever would be welcome in a place like this or by many of the people that resided in it. She attempted to hold her head high but she didn't want to seem too prideful or as if she thought she were better. When a man shouted out a particularly rude comment Mitsuko glanced away, instead focusing on the pathway in front of her as she searched for somewhere to wash up.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 17, 2017 20:42:31 GMT -6

Post by Ren on Jun 24, 2017 22:06:38 GMT -6

Ren Avatar
Ren felt her respect for Mitsuko growing as the young woman marched through the Temple, head held high despite the dark whispers and uttered oaths. Someone shouted something particularly vile, and the waterbender simply turned her head, refusing to acknowledge his existence. Ren, on the other hand, shot him a disapproving look. The man glanced at her gold and scarlet robes and blushed — the presence of an Acolyte at the Temple somehow put people on their most respectful behaviour. The man bowed his head in a mixture of embarrassment and false humility as she past. Ren made a small tsk noise as she passed.

Their search for a washroom eventually lead them to a far back room, which was little more than a closet with a functioning sink and toilet. The plaster was starting to get hard, so she switched on the tap marked for hot water — the heat, she hoped, would help counteract the hardening substance.

"You know," she said quietly, her husky voice strained. "They're just scared. It's nothing personal. Everyone is suspicious, but I wouldn't worry, if the Monks have allowed you here, I don't think anyone will start trouble beyond muttering behind their hands."

She had only been there for a few days, but already it was apparent that the Monks commanded total respect from anyone on their grounds willingly. Their approach to an individual was always marked by an initial jump and shudder, but then the fear would mostly melt away into an expression of gratitude. The Monks had been giving and giving to the community for many decades now, and to many nonbenders of Republic City, they were a lifeline in an otherwise cruel society.
This user is from the FN
Anonymous
Jun 25, 2017 17:25:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 25, 2017 17:25:29 GMT -6

Mitsuko listened to Ren's words in silence for quite some time, they were comforting to hear. It made sense to Mitsuko why they treated her the way they did and Ren only confirmed this, except there was one thing that she just couldn't shake. Although the idea of them starting trouble had seemed likely to her, that wasn't what truly bothered her. Their words hurt, yes, but Mitsuko had dealt with many harsh words in her lifetime, she didn't intend on allowing them to trouble her. What upset her so much was the first thing Ren had said.

"They're just scared." The words felt as if they echoed continuously in her head. The more she thought about it, the more she realized that was the source of why she had been more affected than she would like to admit. Mitsuko didn't want to be someone that was feared by others, she didn't want anyone to be scared of benders, she didn't want anyone to think she meant harm because she could bend. She wanted to positively impact others, for her mark on the world to be one of love and generosity. It hurt her to see just how abundantly clear the direct effect that this attack had, not just physically but mentally as well.

Mitsuko looked down at her feet and her lips parted slightly as she figured out how to say just what she wanted to. After rinsing her hands and erasing the plaster from them she finally began. "What is it like? Being a nonbender, I mean. Are benders truly so terrifying? Do people like me instill fear in others simply by publicly bending?"

She choked on the words as tears formed in the corners of her eyes. Mitsuko didn't understand why it had affected her so deeply but after blinking to force the tears to recede she looked up at Ren. "I've thought about what it might be like before, and I never thought I would be scared of benders. I don't know. Maybe I would be indifferent to them or maybe I'd fear for my life just being in a bender's presence. But I can't really ever know, not really. I can only ask and try to understand."

Post by Ren on Jul 1, 2017 14:20:52 GMT -6

Ren Avatar
It wasn't an unreasonable question, but Ren wasn't prepared for it. She blinked blankly at Mitsuko for a few moments, trying to process her thoughts into something resembling coherent sentences.

"Well," she began hesitantly, her husky voice quiet. "Yes and no."

She picked at some residual plaster on her hands, too hard to get off with plain soap and water. "You have the elements at your fingertips, trained in them since you could barely walk and talk. While we're out playing with sticks and rocks, you're learning how to make water, fire, and the very earth under our feet obey your every command.

"Even if one never has a personal encounter with a bad bender, it's kind of like if you were walking around the city and there was a chance that down any given street is a very angry, very hungry, sabretooth lion-moose. You know it's not every street, but you know it's multiple streets and you have no way real way of telling which street it is until you get there. You'd walk around anxious, always checking and double checking, second guessing.

"Even if you never encounter one of these lion-moose, you know people who have, have seen what happens to those who do. You know they're out there, and you spend every moment on the street hoping and praying you don't run into one."

Ren tilted her head, absently pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "We can't ever tell which of the benders will be 'good' and which will be 'bad'. And often times it's not so cut and dry. Maybe a 'good' bender doesn't call you names, but still pities you for your lack of bending ability as though it somehow makes you less than them. Maybe a 'good' bender pulls their child a little closer when they see someone coming out of the Temple of Koh."

"Then you have Amon. He was a beacon of hope for so many. The Equalists may have had shady ideals and shady methods, but all Amon preached at first was a mission to make nonbenders heard, to make sure that they were no longer treated as second-class citizens. Then it turns out he was just another bender, exploiting nonbenders for his own gains."

She looked steadily at Mitsuko, her brown eyes huge behind her glasses. "So how can any of them trust a bender who says they are here to help? Or that they're not someone to be afraid of? They've seen lion-moose after lion-moose, and even lion-moose in koala-sheep clothing."
This user is from the FN
Last edit by Ren: Jul 1, 2017 14:21:23 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 1, 2017 21:46:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 1, 2017 21:46:34 GMT -6

Mitsuko looked away, her guilt growing as she cursed herself for never realizing what it must have been like for nonbenders. It wasn't like they were weak by any means, there were many nonbenders who could probably beat her in a fight but benders did have a slight unfair advantage. Almost every bender started training with their element when they were young but for nonbenders it seemed they didn't start training until later in life. Swords and other weapons were seen as dangerous by many parents and while they were, so was bending. Kids got hurt all the time while bending, sometimes they hurt themselves but most of the time they unintentionally hurt others. Once a bender got control of their element it wasn't much of a problem, but until then it could be.

However, what really hit Mitsuko was the lion-moose analogy. Ren was right, so right that Mitsuko was ashamed she hadn't seen it before. Perhaps it wasn't a constant feeling of fear that nonbenders felt but an uneasiness in many parts of the town. Accidents happened and even a 'good' bender could hurt an innocent.

"You're right. People are never easy to define as good or bad and after an event like this, I don't even know why I would expect them to believe me when I say I'm here to help. I know I wouldn't believe it if it were the other way around. To be honest, this whole thing showed me just how bad benders could be sometimes despite them seeming like good people."

"For so long I was so far removed from the whole conflict that I didn't even notice how bad things were getting. Then it affected me directly and I feel guilty that I didn't notice earlier, not because it could have somehow prevented what happened to me, because I don't think anything could have, but because maybe I could have done something to help earlier. Maybe these people will never fully trust me but I guess that doesn't really matter in this moment, does it? All that matters is that these people get help. They don't have to like me for me to save their life. I'm sorry, I shouldn't be getting all upset over some names I got called."

Mitsuko paused figuring out how to form what she wanted to say. She absentmindedly braided a tiny piece of hair as she did so, almost as if the tiny movement would help her think. "In terms of Amon, however, how the nonbenders feel towards me, how they feel towards benders right now is exactly what it was like for us as Amon grew support. While he was a beacon a hope for some, for us he was the most terrifying person on the planet. I remember my older brother making sure I came home earlier, that I wasn't out at night. For a long time, I didn't even bend outside my home because I was so scared that an Equalist would find me and I'd be dragged to some rally and have my bending ripped away from me."

"For me, bending is so important and if that had been taken from me, it would have felt as if I lost myself. Not because I think being a nonbender would be a bad thing but because waterbending has helped to shape me into who I am today.  It would be like losing an arm or a leg. Whenever I went out, I had that uneasiness. The worry that I would run into a lion-moose that you speak of. I suppose when I put it into those terms I can understand where nonbenders are coming from."

She breathed out and after letting go off the tiny braid and watching it spiral out, back into it's normal wave, she looked up once more. "I wish things didn't have to be so complicated. That we could all just get along and stop all of the fighting but I know that's a childish thought. It just feels like a war is going to break out again and although I'm not sure things will ever get that serious, it's scary to think about."