The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Art Question & Scars

Anonymous
Apr 30, 2017 22:59:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 30, 2017 22:59:33 GMT -6

Hello,

A few quick questions.

(1) I hope to use Hanako from Katawa Shoujo as my face claim. My understanding is that I need permission to use fan art. Are screen shots (such as my current display) fair game? 

(2) The RPG is PG rated. I want my character to be scarred from fire bending. I imagine them getting the scar through routine fire bending. No abuse, no fights against triads. I'm still sketching the idea in my background, but I want them to be a fire bender who dislikes bending because they think even its normal uses lead to bad outcomes. Is this acceptable within the site's PG rating? 

(3) As far as names go, are we doing traditional Chinese order? Surname, first name? 
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 1, 2017 2:45:58 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hi!

1. The reason we require permission for all fanart has to do with copyright. From a legal standpoint, I cannot advise you that an official piece of art is "fair game" (as I am not a lawyer), but from personal experience most large companies and famous creators do not mind fan creations or edits of official works under fair use (some, however, do, such as Anne Rice). Fan artists, however, tend not to have the backing or the recognition of large companies and art / animation groups and we ask for permission to err on the side of caution. I know this is kind of a muddy answer, and I do apologise, but I cannot advise specifically on the legalities of the situation beyond what I've stated.

2. That sounds fine to me — as always, please keep any description beyond what you might see in an actual episode of ATLA or Korra as fade to black.

3. That is personal choice, and we have no rules governing this.
This user is Mod
Last edit: May 1, 2017 3:13:48 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 1, 2017 7:40:25 GMT -6 via mobile

Post by Deleted on May 1, 2017 7:40:25 GMT -6

Understood. Thanks.
Anonymous
May 1, 2017 10:46:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 1, 2017 10:46:05 GMT -6

Gah. So I've written my application multiple times now and every time I try to post I get the following message. Help.

Invalid request token / possible request forgery (error 4). If you received this message in error, please go back, refresh, and try again.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 1, 2017 12:43:59 GMT -6

If you clear your browser's cache and cookies the forgery error should go away.

In the future, please create a new thread for a new issue as we are trying to create a library of sorts for questions people ask. Thanks!
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 1, 2017 19:53:44 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 1, 2017 19:53:44 GMT -6

Ah got it to work. Thank you!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 1, 2017 20:06:01 GMT -6

Any time! I'll mark this thread as resolved and lock it. If you have further issues, please feel free to create a new thread (:
This user is Mod