The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Searching, Searching

Anonymous
Mar 16, 2017 14:15:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 16, 2017 14:15:26 GMT -6

Akane felt the wind biting against her as Bo spoke, asking her what she was in the mood for. Right now, she didn’t really care as long as they were out of this weather and in someplace warm and well… not outside. “I don’t know,” she said. “Just food sounds good.” She hurried down the street, knowing that the Firebender would follow her. It seemed, though, they were not in an area with very many places to eat – at least not in a price range that she and Bo could afford. The couple of restaurants she saw were a bit too expensive for them, so she continued down the street.

Akane quickly tried to think, thinking about where they were and where they could find reasonably priced food. She turned down the next street and then turned right again before finding what she was looking for. “Here we go, food that is not going to cost us a month’s rent,” she said out loud, before heading to the nearest place. She went inside, and immediately let out a breath that she hadn’t known she had been holding. The warmth covered her like a fresh blanket, and she immediately felt better.

“Okay, that is much better,” she said, looking up at Bo. “So, do you think this place is fine? I just really wanted to get out of that wind and cold.”
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Mar 20, 2017 12:45:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 20, 2017 12:45:49 GMT -6

Bo nodded at Akane's reply. Truthfully, it wasn't very helpful, but he wasn't going to complain so long as they ended up somewhere warm and with food. It didn't even need to be good food, necessarily. He followed close behind his friend, keeping an eye out for any restaurants that looked good. But there weren't many options, and most of what he saw was outside of his price range. Eating out at expensive places was great, but he also liked having money. Hopefully they'd find something cheaper soon.

Luckily, Akane seemed to have some sort of idea of where she was going. She led the way to a section of the city that wouldn't bankrupt them. As they entered the first restaurant they saw, Bo felt a welcome blast of warm air. It was nice, not feeling like he was going to freeze to death anymore. Once he had stopped shivering, he looked around to see where they were. Akane had brought them to a ramen shop. It was small, with only a few tables available. A couple tables were taken, but there were still a few options. Bo looked over at Akane and nodded. "Yeah, this'll work."

A menu hung above the front counter, and Bo studied it for a moment, considering his options. Then, he approached the counter and ordered a simple pork ramen bowl. After paying, he turned back to Akane. "I'll grab us a table while you order."
Anonymous
Mar 24, 2017 16:13:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 24, 2017 16:13:35 GMT -6

Akane knew that she wasn’t going to want to leave the warmth of the small ramen shop once she and Bo were done eating. It was nice and warm in here, as opposed to the biting cold of the weather outside at the moment. He ordered first, and then said he was going to get a table while she ordered. The Waterbender nodded in agreement as she looked up at the menu. She ended up ordering just a bowl of vegetable ramen before turning around and going to find Bo. Luckily, that was relatively easy to do because there were only like five tables in the small little restaurant – if you could call it that, of course. She wasn’t sure this qualified as a restaurant.

She gave a sigh as she looked over at her friend and teammate. “Well, I think in terms of ‘good days to go outside and shop,’ this was not one of them,” she said. She gave a light laugh, and she shook her head. “It was just cold when I left, and while I don’t like the cold, I could deal with it. And the wind picked up while we were in that shop.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders. “I guess I don’t have the best time, do I? Well, at least now we are in someplace warm for a bit.” Of course, eventually, they would have to leave the safety of this shop, especially with the lack of room in it.

It didn’t take long for their orders to be delivered, and Akane hadn’t realized how hungry she was. Shopping was apparently a lot of work. She immediately began to dig in, giving a light moan of pleasure at the tastiness of the food. It could be just because the cold weather outside had made her hungry, and the food – at the restaurant – was nice and warm. “Mmm, this is actually pretty good,” she said. “I’ve never been here before. I just knew there were cheaper restaurants off the main road.”
Anonymous
Mar 29, 2017 12:48:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 29, 2017 12:48:18 GMT -6

It wasn't hard to find a table, given how few the place had. He ended up sitting at a two-seater by a window. As he waited for Akane to order her food, he gazed out the window, watching various Republic City dwellers hurry by. Hair and scarves flew in the wind, and though he had managed to escape the chill for now, it was not so distant of a memory that he couldn't still understand how those outside must be feeling. He usually could tolerate cold weather, but even a Firebender like himself had his limits.

He turned away from the window as Akane sat across from him. He chuckled as she commented on her poor decision making. "Yeah, you probably could've chosen a better day," he agreed with a shrug. "But hey, least you found what you were looking for, right? Now you don't have to worry about what to get Yuri anymore. That's worth freezing a bit, I think."

Their food arrived shortly, and Bo was quick to dig in. The ramen was delicious, but even if it hadn't been, he would've been content with just the feeling of warmth settling in his stomach and spreading through the rest of his body, thawing him out. "Yeah, I didn't know this place existed," he replied when Akane spoke, talking through a mouthful of noodles. "There are way too many restaurants all over the city that I haven't tried yet. One of these days…you know, when it's not cold and terrible…we should explore, see what else we can find."
Anonymous
Apr 3, 2017 20:26:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 3, 2017 20:26:55 GMT -6

There was nothing Akane could really do about her choice of days for shopping right now. “I didn’t realize that the weather would be so bad,” she said in between bites. “It wasn’t that bad when I left the house at.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders. The Waterbender nodded in agreement as he said that at least she had found what she wanted. “Yeah, and more quickly than anticipated, too.” She took another bite before continuing. “It was worth freezing a bit. I hope she likes it.” She really wanted to give her something that she would like, that would make her feel better whenever she wore it. Akane hoped that the necklace did the trick.

She also hoped that they found a new Waterbender soon for the team. “I hope they find a third team member soon,” she said. “Since they’re missing out on next season, hopefully, they can at least go for next season.” It was unfortunate that they were competing and her girlfriend’s team wasn’t. There was nothing that she could do about that, though. Nor was there anything she could do about Ren’ai being boyfriend-less. She had only dated two people – Akira and Yuri. Ren’ai would have more experience on how to meet new people. Besides, from what Yuri said, she never stayed single for long.

Bo suggested going and seeing more restaurants when the weather wasn’t so bad. “Yeah, that sounds like a great idea,” she said in between more bites of the hot, delicious food. “Not today, obviously, but yeah, that sounds great. Maybe we can drag Akira around if he’s not too caught up with work.” Between work and training, she had barely had any other time with him. That was pretty sad considering the fact that she lived with him in his apartment. “Other than a couple of places near the apartment, and Watashi’s of course – since Yuri works there – I don’t really go anywhere else.”
Last edit by Deleted: Apr 3, 2017 20:27:19 GMT -6
Anonymous
Apr 4, 2017 14:28:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 4, 2017 14:28:41 GMT -6

Bo nodded when Akane mentioned her hope for Yuri's Probending team. "Yeah, that sucks," he agreed. "I'd think it'd be easy to find a Waterbender who wanted to join the team…although maybe not, after what happened to Liang Wulong." He grimaced. He had managed to push recent events to the back of his mind; it was not pleasant to think about that kind of stuff while out with a friend. But there was no denying that, between Liang Wulong's disappearance and the police chief's murder, a dark cloud hung low over Republic City. In times like these, it was more important than ever that Probenders do their best to distract people from their worries. But knowing that they could be taken from their homes at any moment would make people think twice about joining a team, Bo figured.

"Yeah, I tend to stick to a few places too," Bo said. "Never been a very adventurous person. It'd be good to see Akira outside of practice more, though. I don't remember the last time I talked to him about anything other than tactics or foot placement. That does get old." He ate some more ramen in the silence that followed. It was great, and as he ate, he thanked the spirits that Akane had found what had turned out to be the perfect restaurant for a day like this. Winter wasn't so bad when combatted with good company and good food.

"Hey Akane," he said after a moment. "I've been wondering, what's it like living with your ex? I dated a couple guys when I was younger to appease my parents, but both of those relationships ended badly, and I couldn't imagine living with either of those guys. You and Akira seem pretty good, though."
Anonymous
Apr 14, 2017 12:45:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 14, 2017 12:45:07 GMT -6

Akane nodded. “I know they’re talking about what they can do to get another Waterbender, but that’s all I know,” she said. “They’re not giving up, but you’re right – I can’t imagine too many people who aren’t already Probenders won’t be in too much of a hurry to get into it.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders as she took a few more bites of her food. She wasn’t sure what else to say. There were Probenders who were afraid to stay in and those like them who were not going to let it rule their lives. Then there were people who may have wanted to get into it but were now too afraid to now that a former Probender had been killed. “They’ll be afraid, and understandably so. There’s a lot of hatred going around on both sides right now.”

She thought that the non-benders had a decent point. Look at Probending itself; it was a sign of what benders were. There was no place in it for non-benders, not really. That didn’t mean that they shouldn’t be allowed to play, and it didn’t give anyone the right to kill someone – a person with a family, people who missed them. Akane wasn’t sure there was a solution to this. There was no way that she could see to satisfy one side without dissatisfying the other. Surely there had to be some way. As far as laws and fairness were concerned, there had to be something that could be done.

Akane was glad that the subject was changed back to something else besides all of the bad things that were going around right now. “I mean, it’s not that I don’t want to, it’s just… I’m a busy woman, you know?” she told him before she took a few more bites of her food. “When I’m not working, I’m training, so I don’t have time to go around and try out different places, no matter how much I want to. Maybe I should try a bit more, though, because like I never would have found this place if we hadn’t been so desperate to get out of the bad weather.”

Akane was surprised by the next question. She shrugged her shoulders again. "I don't know; I don't think of him as my ex anymore," she said. "I mean, obviously he is, we dated for six months, but... I don't know." She took a few more bites of her food. "We both agreed that we were better off as friends, that's why we broke up in the first place." She didn't even see him in that way anymore. "I mean now, he's just... Akira, my friend, my Captain, my teammate, my roommate... I don't even think of him in any other way now."

Last edit by Deleted: Apr 14, 2017 12:54:39 GMT -6
Anonymous
Apr 17, 2017 14:50:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Apr 17, 2017 14:50:36 GMT -6

OOC: Sorry this is so short.

Bo continued eating as Akane answered his question. He wasn't sure what he had expected her to say, but her answer was pretty simple. It made sense when he thought about it. Just because his romantic history was something he preferred not to think about, that didn't mean everyone was in the same situation. "It's great that you two get along so well," he replied after swallowing his food. "Makes working with you pretty easy.

"Hey," he continued after slurping some more noodles. "How's work going, by the way? Last time we saw each other you said something about meeting one of the writers at the paper, right? Anything happen with that? It sounded like a pretty exciting opportunity. You done any writing?"

It was exciting, thinking that one day, hopefully soon, he might see Akane's name on a column in the Republic City Times. Who better to analyze Probending matches, he figured, than someone who knew exactly what it was like to stand in the arena? He did wonder, though, how that would actually work. Was is a conflict of interest to analyze your own team's matches?
Anonymous
May 3, 2017 14:08:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 3, 2017 14:08:21 GMT -6

Akane wondered why Bo had asked about it. She smiled up at him in between bites. “Good to hear that,” she said. “Why did you ask, though?” He had never asked before. In fact, she couldn’t remember how he had found out that they had dated. She mentioned it sometimes when it came up; it just didn’t seem like a big deal to her at all, so there was no reason to hide that information. She knew it wasn’t normal for other people, but that had nothing to do with either her or Akira. She was only curious as to why Bo had brought it up after all these months, that was all.

Akane gave a shrug of her shoulders as Bo asked about work. “Same as always, I suppose,” she responded. “Yeah, nothing’s coming of that. I mean, I want to talk to her, and I know I shouldn’t keep putting it off, but…” The Waterbender ate some more of her food as she tried to gather her thoughts before speaking again. “I just I want to have some ideas to give to her, something to show her, you know? I’ve been writing, but nothing just seems good enough, and I don’t have all that much time, what with training and work and what not.” She didn’t want to waste Charumati’s time. If Akane herself didn’t feel it was good enough, chances were she wouldn’t either.

“Besides, I also wonder about analyze other matches when I’m competing in the circuit, you know?” Akane said. “I there’s no way I could do my own.” She took a few bites as she reached the last of her food. “I don’t know if the editor will go for that, but I figure I might as well try if I can get something good enough to show to her to see what she thinks.” It was a very enticing idea, though, being an analyst… but she was a Probender first and foremost.
Anonymous
Jun 1, 2017 14:30:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 1, 2017 14:30:36 GMT -6

“I guess I’ve just never thought about it before,” Bo shrugged in answer. “Like I said, I’ve never considered living with anyone I’ve dated. You’re the first couple I’ve met that split up and stayed good friends. It’s good to see that that’s possible.” Hopefully his question hadn’t bothered her. He wasn’t usually one to pry—other people’s business was theirs to share or not, as they wished—but after knowing Akane and Akira for a couple years now, he realized how little he actually knew about either of them. Most of their time together was spent training, and that didn’t offer much opportunity to discuss their lives. Something like this, and unexpected shopping trip, was good for that. They’d have to arrange more of these in the future.

As Akane spoke about work, Bo polished off his food. He set his chopsticks down gently before replying. “I get you. It would be a bit weird to talk to her without having an example of your writing. But you said nothing seems good enough…I mean, how do you know?” He shrugged again. “It’s not like the first thing you show her will be printed right then and there. Might as well show something, just to prove you’re seriously interested. And maybe if you show her something, she can help you make it better. Seems like a pretty good opportunity.”

He grinned slightly as Akane brought up the potential conflict of interest of her being a Probender. “I was wondering about that too,” he agreed. “But now that I think about it, wouldn’t readers be interested to hear a personal perspective on Probending, to hear what it’s ‘really like,’ and all that? It might be weird to analyze yourself, but it might be helpful, too.”
Anonymous
Jun 26, 2017 15:33:58 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 26, 2017 15:33:58 GMT -6

Akane shrugged her shoulders. “I think it helps that we were friends first, before we took our relationship to the next level, so to speak,” she said, since she wasn’t sure what else to call it. It was a decent point. She was sure that most exes didn’t do that, but it was hard for her to think as Akira has anything but her friend, teammate and Captain now. She remembered it, of course, but… it no longer meant anything to her. What they had was long over. “Besides, we realized were better off as friends anyway.” She could see how it might be weird to other people, though. Her sister had never been overly friendly with her exes, and most people she knew weren’t either. Look at what happened to Ren’ai, after all.

As the conversation changed back to work, Akane listened as Bo told her that she should at least show Charumati something to show that she was interested. She finished her food as he spoke, pushing her bowl off to the side. She nodded. “You’ve got a point,” she said “I guess I’m being a little over anxious. This is just… out of my comfort zone, you know?” She had wanted to be a Probender for so long; it was hard for her to think about doing anything else. “I need to step outside my comfort zone, though, because… we can’t Probend forever, you know? Eventually, we’ll have to quit. There has to be a light at the end of the tunnel after this is all over.”

Maybe this was hers, and if it wasn’t… she would never know if she didn’t try, and if she turned down Charumati’s help the opportunity might not come again. She took a deep breath. “You’re right,” she said. This could be her shot to have a life outside of Probending one day. “I should at least talk to her again, touch base – make sure she knows I’m serious about it and that I appreciate the advice she gave me and the offer for help. Besides, maybe I can get her opinion in me analyzing myself – see if that would be too much of a conflict of interest or what.” She shrugged her shoulders. “It’s worth a shot, right?” There was no way to find out without actually doing it.
Anonymous
Jul 28, 2017 12:38:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 28, 2017 12:38:11 GMT -6

“I get that,” Bo replied when Akane mentioned her comfort zone. “It’s gotta be pretty nerve-wracking, thinking about showing your writing to someone who’s had a successful writing career for years now. But the worst thing that can happen is that she turns you down. And even if she does, hopefully she can give you advice for how to make your writing better. Sounds like it’s worth taking that chance just to see what happens.”

As they spoke, Bo realized that he hadn’t really put any serious thought into what he would do once his Probending career was over. It was a question that needed answering. He had his job at the factory, but while that might be satisfying as a career for some people, it wasn’t for him. Factory work was a means to an end—that end being that he had the freedom to do what he actually wanted to do, like Probending and dancing. He loved dancing, and had considered auditioning for any of several small dance companies that travelled around the United Republic. But honestly, did he have the skill for that? He wasn’t sure.

“You know, if you’re going to this fancy party Ren’ai’s parents are throwing…” he began. “You think maybe anybody there would be able to put in a good word for you at the paper? That way you’d have a way in even without that editor’s help.”
Last edit by Deleted: Aug 7, 2017 13:07:38 GMT -6
Anonymous
Aug 6, 2017 17:23:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 6, 2017 17:23:07 GMT -6

Akane nodded at his words. It was nerve-wracking. “And I don’t even know if I’m any good at writing,” she said. “I was never this nervous about being a Probender, because… I always knew that I was a good bender, and that all I needed was work and a team.” She had been somewhat nervous, she supposed, at some point, but… Probending had just made so much sense to her. This writing thing was different. It was not something she had ever really considered before, but in a way, it did make sense. This was something she could do, the Waterbender just had to jump off the cliff a bit, so to speak, and hope everything fell into place so she didn’t fall flat on her face.

“You’re right, you’re absolutely right,” Akane told Bo. “I just need to do it. I can do this. She offered to speak the Editors for me, and while that’s it, that’s still a lot – and she didn’t need to do that, so I want to make sure that I don’t seem ungrateful for the offer.” The brunette fell silent as her friend and teammate started speaking again, suggesting if someone at the party would be willing to put in a word for her. “I don’t know,” she said honestly. “I’m not sure who is going to be there, or what influence they have at the paper besides monetary.” She wasn’t sure if that would do any good for her, but it wasn’t a bad idea.

Akane gave a sigh, knowing that while this might be hard in the meantime – it would be worth it in the long run if she could figure it out and get herself settled. You never knew what could happen with an athletic career. She could get injured and be off the team tomorrow, and never Probend again. She had heard of that happening; she knew it did, and even though she never thought about it happening to her, it could. Even if she lived out her lifelong dream and went all the way, it had to end eventually. “Thanks for all the advice and letting me talk about this. I appreciate it.” She gave him a smile.
Anonymous
Aug 17, 2017 10:24:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 17, 2017 10:24:16 GMT -6

He was intimately familiar with the self-doubt that Akane was expressing. He too struggled with the feeling often, especially when it came to his dancing. For Akane to consider parleying a new interest into an entire new career path was brave, and it was important that she understood that. It would be easy to fool themselves into thinking that Probending would last forever, that they didn’t have to worry about the future, but she was being smart by trying to plan ahead. And she already had a foot in the door too…it was hard not to admire her.

“You’ll figure it out,” he told her with a smile. “You’re smart; your writing’s gotta be good. And if it’s not what the editors are looking for at first, maybe they’ll give you advice on how to make it better. That’d be helpful, right?” He was trying to be encouraging, but past a certain point he wasn’t sure how else he could be helpful. At the end of the day, this was Akane’s decision to make, and her success or failure would depend almost entirely on how much effort she was willing to put into pursuing this new path. It didn’t sound like it would be easy, but he was sure she could make it happen if she really tried.

His smile grew when Akane thanked him. “You’re welcome,” he replied. “What are teammates for, if not this? I can’t always just be throwing fireballs at you for practice, you know. Gotta mix it up a little sometimes. If you do need someone to throw fireballs at you while you write, though, just for old time’s sake, you can give me a call. I’m here to help.” He winked at her.
Anonymous
Aug 30, 2017 22:40:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 30, 2017 22:40:13 GMT -6

Having the support of friends, like Akira and Bo, was an immense help to her. It was good to know that they could be not just teammates, but friends, too. She wasn’t sure how a Probending team would work like that without them. She gave a nod at the Firebender’s words. “You’re right,” she said, though she had been saying that quite a bit tonight during this conversation it seemed. “That’s true, and I’m sure that I’ll have to work on it. I mean, I’ve never really done anything like this. No one is good at anything right away. It takes time and effort, just like anything else, right?”

Besides, she knew Probending – no one knew Probending better than a Probender. She would have to work at it just like she worked at her sport. Akane smiled back at Bo, and laughed when told her that he couldn’t just throw Fireballs at her during practice, but then suggested throwing fireballs at her when she was writing if he needed her to. He gave her a wink, and she couldn’t help but keep laughing. “Okay, I’ll keep that in mind,” she said, “though I don’t think I want you shooting Fireballs at me outside of practice. You might singe my writing and then I’d have to start over.”

Akane looked over at the windows of the little restaurant they were in. The weather seemed to have died down a bit. “It looks like it’s letting up a bit,” she said. “Maybe we should head out?” They could always head back one of their places. It didn’t mind they had to stop hanging out because she was having fun with him. It was nice to hang out outside of practice.
Anonymous
Sept 2, 2017 23:47:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 2, 2017 23:47:43 GMT -6

Talking to Akane was great. He had few friends, and Akane was one of the best of them. This had already been a pretty fun day, and though he hadn’t planned to spend part of it being Akane’s life coach, but if that’s what she needed, then that’s what he’d be. After all, that’s what friends were for, right?

His offer of a literal trial by fire was rejected. Bo shrugged. “Figured you wouldn’t,” he allowed. “But hey, need any embarrassing first drafts to disappear, you know where to find me. Just saying.”

Bo looked over as Akane did, smiling at the lack of snow. “Finally. Snow sucks.” He loved Republic City—he’d spent his whole life there, and had no plans to leave any time soon—but every time winter rolled in with its snow and its cold, he wished he lived somewhere tropical that’d be warm all year round. Even the ability to make fire at will could only do so much against the ferocity of nature. When the weather was this crummy, warm restaurants like this one were blessings.

“Sure, let’s take advantage of this while it lasts,” he agreed. “My place isn’t too far from here, if you want to come over. Maomi might appreciate getting to bother someone who isn’t me for a change.” His cat was a prickly creature, easily offended and slow to forgive. They’d managed to work out an understanding in their time living together, though, and exposure to more people would likely do the creature a world of good. How she’d react to Akane, he wasn’t sure, but they might as well see how it went.