The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Searching, Searching

Anonymous
Jan 16, 2017 20:00:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 16, 2017 20:00:30 GMT -6

Akane let out a shuddering breath as she walked down the street, her breath just slightly showing in the cold winter air. Winter was not her favorite season. It was, to be quite frank, too cold for her. She liked spring and fall when the weather was cool. Summer was too hot; she liked it right in the middle. Unfortunately, she didn’t usually get her way, and she was used to that. The wind was biting a bit today, though, and the Waterbender wrapped her coat tighter around her. She was trying to look for a gift for Yuri for the New Year; she wanted to give her something special to mark their first New Year together. That may sound a bit sappy, but she wanted to. She wasn’t expecting anything in return.

Akane looked through the stores as she walked, seeing if anything struck her. Yuri wasn’t the most feminine person in the world. She liked that about her, but it made shopping for her a bit difficult. The typical girly stuff that her best friend Ren’ai might like wouldn’t necessarily work for her. She would have to find something unique and special. It couldn’t be just anything. While she was out, she might want to find a few new tops for herself, stuff that she could wear to work maybe. Since she had to dress up every day, she did need a selection of outfits to wear so that it wouldn’t seem boring.

Giving a sigh, she continued her trek down the street, wondering what else she was going to do today. Yuri wasn’t working until later today, so maybe she could get something eat at Watashi’s. After all, if she did end up getting something for Yuri today, she didn’t want her girlfriend to be there and see the bat that it came in. Even if she didn’t know it was for her, Akane thought it would be better if that situation didn’t happen at all. Now, if only she could see something that would work for her…

This user is a former member
Last edit: Feb 14, 2017 18:48:06 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 19, 2017 2:38:41 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 19, 2017 2:38:41 GMT -6

Bo didn't mind winter, really. Snow wasn't so bad when you had the ability to conjure up your own source of warmth anywhere, at any time. He was lucky in that way. As a result of this advantage, though, he tended to go out in the cold wearing fewer layers than might be expected, which earned him a few quizzical looks. After all, a tall man with only a thin coat as protection from the cold was not a typical sight when the city was blanketed with snow. He paid the gawkers no mind, though. He might look out of place, but he felt fine. Any time he shivered, he lit a flame in his hand and moved it over his body, and then he was fine again. It was nice, how simple that was.

Speaking of simple…Bo really wasn't sure what he was doing out here on a crowded street in a marketplace with the rest of the shoppers. There was nothing he needed to buy, and he'd never been big on impulse buys. He could say he was window shopping, but that wasn't quite accurate. Truth be told, he wasn't paying much attention to the displays of any of the stores he passed. He'd just woken up that morning with a desire to be anywhere other than his apartment all day. So here he was, just…walking until he got a better idea for how to spend his day.

As he strolled at a leisurely pace, Bo let his eyes wander and land on anything that might be of interest. In this way he saw plenty of couple sharing quiet moments together, a child who seemed to just be discovering snow and was staring at it with a mixture of excitement and fear, and…was that Akane? It took him a second to be sure—it was hard to tell from the back, and the person in question was mostly hidden under a tightly drawn coat. But he was pretty sure that was her. Might as well get her attention. He wouldn't mind her company.
So, Bo took a few long strides, and was soon just a couple feet behind the person he really hoped was Akane because at this point he was committed to either greeting his friend or embarrassing himself.

"Akane? That you?"
Anonymous
Jan 24, 2017 20:30:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 24, 2017 20:30:24 GMT -6

Akane kept wandering down along the street, hoping something in one of the shop windows would catch her attention as something to get Yuri. Nothing seemed to work, though, because everything she looked at seemed to just… not be quite good enough. It wasn’t that she didn’t know her well enough to pick out a good gift – that was ridiculous at this point in their relationship. She just wanted it to be perfect. She knew that she didn’t have to get her anything. She probably wasn’t expecting it. It didn’t really matter, though, because it was something that she wanted to do for the girl she loved. That was what you did when you were in a serious relationship.

Akane, sighing stopped walking and took a deep breath. It shouldn’t be this hard, and she was probably just overthinking it because she wanted to get her something she would really like. Chances are, Yuri would love anything she gave her. That was when she had a familiar voice. Turning around, she spotted a tall, familiar figure a few feet back – Bo. A bright smile crossed her face. “Hey there,” she said. “This is a surprise.” She didn’t normally see him outside off practice, except for the odd day here and there. She certainly hadn’t expected to see him out today.

“What are you doing out here today?” The Waterbender asked him, and she erased the couple of feet that had been between so that they were standing near each other. “Especially when it’s this cold. I wouldn’t be out if I didn’t have to be. Although I suppose as a Firebender, you can just make yourself fire if you need to get warm.” Her smiled turned into a smirk at that as she looked up at him. She was sure that he wouldn’t be interested in shopping, but she wouldn’t mind having someone to walk around with as she looked for something for her girlfriend.
Last edit by Deleted: Jan 24, 2017 20:30:45 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 25, 2017 11:59:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 25, 2017 11:59:26 GMT -6

Oh good, it was Akane. Bo was not in the mood to deal with the awkwardness that would have resulted had he greeted a total stranger. Well, to be honest, he was never in the mood to talk to strangers—he tried to avoid doing so whenever possible. Today was his lucky day, it seemed.

Bo responded to Akane's smile with a small one of his own, raising a hand in a sort of halfhearted wave. He waited for her to get closer before answering her question. No point in battling the noise of those around them when he could avoid it. "Not sure what I'm doing," he replied with a shrug. "Just didn't feel like being cooped up at home all day. Went out walking, and ended up here. Just good luck I ran into you."

Akane's comment about his Firebending made him chuckle. "That's exactly what I've been doing," he confirmed. "Gotten a few weird looks for it too. Guess it makes people nervous, seeing a guy walk around town with fire in his palm. No idea why."

To illustrate his point, he made a small flame appear in the palm of his hand. He enjoyed the warmth for a moment before a chilling breeze blew the fire out. He looked down at Akane and shrugged again. "It's good while it lasts." He rubbed his hands together briskly. As he spoke, he could see his breath in the air. "What about you? What are you up to, and do you want company?"
Last edit by Deleted: Jan 25, 2017 11:59:50 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 28, 2017 15:43:44 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 28, 2017 15:43:44 GMT -6

Akane smiled up at Bo as he said that he had just been wandering around when he had run into her. It turned out it had been good luck for both of them, as she had just been thinking that she wouldn’t mind someone to walk around with today as she tried to find a gift for Yuri. “Good luck indeed, for both of us,” she said. She rolled her eyes as he said that he couldn’t imagine why people were nervous when he walked around with fire in his palm. “Can’t imagine at all. People can be dumb, though, so I wouldn’t pay them any mind.” Besides, it wasn’t as if he was hurting anyone or anything like that, but she was pretty sure that atmosphere itself made people nervous.

Akane chuckled as his flame blew out, but that was life. He then asked what she was up to and if she wanted company. “I would love some company,” she told him. “I just thought that, actually, before I ran into you.” She wrapped her arms around herself, trying to keep in what little warmth she had at the moment. “I’m trying to find something for Yuri, and I wouldn’t mind having someone to walk around with while I look. I have no idea what to get her, but I wanted to get her something for the new year, you know? Like a good luck charm or something she can treat as such.”

Akane shrugged her shoulders. “I feel bad for them, you know? Her and Ren’ai. I mean, around the same time Ren’ai broke up with her boyfriend, and they lost their Waterbender. I know that was a couple of months ago now, but still, I feel bad for them. I figured Yuri could use something to cheer her up because this can’t be easy on them, everything that’s happened in the past year.” That was true for everyone, but most especially for the two remaining Dragon Hawks right now.
Last edit by Deleted: Jan 28, 2017 15:44:14 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jan 29, 2017 14:07:39 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 29, 2017 14:07:39 GMT -6

Bo shook his head when Akane suggested ignoring the looks he received. "I'm not worried about that. People can glare all they want; they know better than to actually try anything." Truthfully, Bo knew that it was probably not wise to walk around advertising his status as a bender, what with everything going on right now. First a former Probender had disappeared, and now the police chief was dead. It would be better to keep his head down, keep his bending hidden, and stay safe. But he couldn't help it. Bo had never been one to hide from his feelings. If shadowy figures—the Galgori Six or whoever they were—were going to keep up their campaign of terror, he would show them that not all benders were easily cowed.

Bo was perplexed as Akane mentioned finding a gift for Yuri. "I'm happy to walk around with you," he told her, "But I don't know that I can help you with that. I don't know Yuri well; you'd know what she likes better than I would." He'd met Yuri a few times; she'd occasionally stopped by the Iguana Parrots' practice sessions. But he'd never actually had a full-on conversation with her, and when they had talked he hadn't thought to ask her what sort of gifts she liked. And aside from his parents, he hadn't had anyone to give gifts to recently. If he tried to help Akane find something for her girlfriend, he'd probably hurt more than he helped. But all the same, it would be nice to have her company.

He nodded when Akane spoke of Yuri and Ren'ai's bad fortune. "Yeah, sounds like they've had it pretty rough," he agreed. "I'm sure whatever you get Yuri will help her feel better." He looked out at the marketplace, seeing the dizzying array of hundreds of different products on offer. "What are you thinking? You said a good luck charm…anything specific she likes? I don't know her very well, so…" He shrugged.
Anonymous
Jan 30, 2017 16:43:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 30, 2017 16:43:04 GMT -6

Akane liked Bo’s confidence, though she knew every bender was a little scared right now. Like him, she also felt like there was no reason to hide who she was. “It’s not as if you’re doing anything wrong,” the Waterbender told him. She gave a light chuckle. It was actually kind of amusing because Ren’ai had said almost the very same thing when she had been over at her and Yuri’s apartment last week. She wondered how many people besides them felt the same way about that issue, and how many others were afraid to admit that they were benders for fear of persecution.

Akane shook her head when Bo said that he wouldn’t be of much help. “No, that’s not what I meant,” she said. “I just want someone to walk around with, you know? I’m sure I’ll think of something.” Or at least that’s what she hoped. Right now, it seemed like an insane list of possibilities, none of which really seemed like her. He asked what she liked. “She’s not an overly frilly or girly person, you know?” Not like her best friend, Ren’ai. The Firebender apparently was, according to Yuri anyway.

The Waterbender gave a heavy sigh and began to walk down the street. “I mean, I know that she’ll love whatever I give her, but like… I’ve never to buy a gift for a girlfriend, you know? Or a boyfriend or whatever…” She shrugged her shoulders. Her longest relationship had been with Akira, and that hardly counted. “I’ll figure something out; I’m just glad that I’m not wandering around the city streets alone anymore, you know?” She smiled up at him.
Anonymous
Jan 31, 2017 2:17:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 31, 2017 2:17:38 GMT -6

It was a relief to hear that Akane was not expecting him to help her find a gift for Yuri. Now the burden of actually being helpful was off of him, he would be able to enjoy their time together much more. He had trouble finding gifts for his parents' birthdays. Finding something for his teammate's girlfriend would be entirely beyond his capabilities. He did smile when Akane mentioned Yuri's aversion to girly things. "I get that," he said, his tone dry, and chuckled. "Maybe I won't be so useless after all."

As Akane began walking, Bo fell into step beside her, shortening his stride so that he didn't outpace her. He smiled at the sigh she heaved. "You'll figure something out," he told her. "And if you don't find the perfect gift, don't worry about it. It's the thought that counts, right? At least, that's what people say. Personally, I've always found that getting a crappy gift makes me question what whoever gave it to me thinks of me…but I'm sure you'll be fine." He nodded when Akane mentioned having little experience in giving gifts to romantic partners. "Yeah, I've got no experience in that area. I say we walk around, see what catches your eye. Eventually you'll see something that just screams Yuri. It can't be that hard to find a gift for someone you love. Everyone does it."
Anonymous
Feb 6, 2017 12:56:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 6, 2017 12:56:13 GMT -6

Akane looked up at Bo as he chuckled, admitting that he understood Yuri’s aversion to girly things, and said that maybe he wouldn’t be so useless. Yes, she imagined that he would understand, probably more so than most. “I highly doubt you would ever be completely useless,” she told him. “Besides, as I said, I wasn’t looking for your help but just your company, so you see? You’re not useless.” That had been the whole point of asking for his company after all – just his company, and not necessarily his help. If he did help her out, great, but that had not been the point asking.

Akane noticed that Bo walked a bit shorter, trying to keep up with her stride. She appreciated that he wasn’t making her run to keep up with him because he very well could do that with his much longer legs. It wouldn’t be the first time that had happened, after all. She nodded as he told her that she would find something to give Yuri, and if not, it was the thought that counted. That is, of course, until he said that getting a crappy gift made him question what the giver thought of him, and then tried to reassure that her that she would be fine. She just stared at him for a moment before rolling her eyes.

“Thanks a lot for that,” she told him, giving him a good-natured slap on the arm. “That makes me feel loads better.” The Firebender then went on to say that it couldn’t be that hard to find a gift for someone you love because everyone did it. He was right, of course, but that didn’t make it any easier. She looked in the window of the next shop, and of course, it was all girly clothes – nothing the suited her androgynous girlfriend. The Waterbender shook her head and kept on walking. “You’re right; I’ll find something. I just have to be patient, that’s all.”

It was then, as they passed the clothes shop that something occurred to her. “Also, please don’t let me forget, but I need to find something to wear,” she told him. “Since Ren’ai doesn’t have a date anymore, she invited Yuri – and thereby me by default – to her parent’s New Year’s Celebration. It’s super fancy, you know, so I should find something new to wear. First things first, though – Yuri. She is most important.” She would find something to wear to that event later. It was hardly top on her list right now.
Anonymous
Feb 9, 2017 11:44:31 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 9, 2017 11:44:31 GMT -6

Akane's slap caused Bo no actual pain, but he recoiled as though it had, clutching his arm. "Hey, watch it!" he exclaimed. That's my bending arm. If we lose our matches now, it's because of you, just so you know." He grinned at her to show he was joking. That grin faded slightly as they passed a clothing store loudly proclaiming its appeal to girls. There was nothing wrong with dresses and skirts and all that, but to him they were reminders of a life he'd left behind. He quickened his pace, and in doing so, almost miss what Akane said.

Luckily, he still caught her request. He nodded. "I'll remind you," he promised. That would be interesting. He'd known Akane for a couple years now, but he'd never seen her dressed up all fancy; Probending training rarely called for finery. When it came to Probending, adornments were just a hassle. When you were jumping and doing flips just to get the right angle of attack on your opponent, dangly bits would just get in the way.

Truth be told, he was just a little jealous of Akane. He'd never been invited to any fancy parties. He'd attended a couple with his parents when he was younger, but those he'd pretty much been dragged along to, and what he wore then had not been up to him. Now he had complete control over his own attire, but no fancy parties at which to take advantage of this freedom. He'd have to see about changing that; he'd probably look good in a suit, and it was a shame to deprive others of a chance to see that.

"You know, from what you've told me about Yuri and the few times I've met her, she doesn't seem much like the fancy party type," he remarked as they kept walking. "Like, do you have to dance at those kinds of things? Because I can't see her doing that."
Anonymous
Feb 16, 2017 18:09:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 16, 2017 18:09:36 GMT -6

Akane rolled her eyes at Bo’s exasperation over her slapping him. She didn’t need the grin to believe that he hadn’t meant what he said at all. They were both teammates and friends, and she knew him well enough by now to know that he hadn’t meant it. Still, it was nice that they’d gotten close enough that they could joke around with each other about stuff like that. She hadn’t known him as long as she’d known Akira, but she would like to say that they had still done a good job of getting comfortable with each other, getting to know each other, since he had joined the team.

Akane tried to put as much distance between her and the girly shop as possible. She didn’t mind dressing up, in fact she liked it, though she preferred to be more comfortable than dressy. That wasn’t the issue with this whole thing, and her going to Ren’ai’s family’s fancy party with Yuri. She was a bit distracted by thought when she heard Bo speaking again. She looked up at him, bringing her thoughts back to the present instead of letting herself be wrapped up in her thoughts.

The Waterbender shrugged. “I would imagine so,” she told him. “Honestly, I wouldn’t know. I’m not really in that branch of society, you know? The only reason why I’m going is because Yuri is friends with Ren’ai, who is is a part of that society. Yuri is only going because Ren’ai doesn’t have a date this year, or I doubt she would be going either.” She took a deep breath. “I mean, I imagine that you’re supposed to dance, drink, and mingle and all that stuff that you do at normal parties. That I don’t mind. It’s the stuffy rich part of it that I do mind.”
Anonymous
Feb 19, 2017 2:43:37 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 19, 2017 2:43:37 GMT -6

Bo had met Ren'ai once or twice, but had never been around her long enough to get a sense of the way she and others in her social circle lived their lives. He'd seen the light of the mansions belonging to Republic City's elite, but only from afar. Being part of that life, going to those fancy parties, must be one heck of an experience, he thought. Being surrounded by pretty people and tiny portions of expensive food many of the city's citizens could never dream of even setting eyes upon…it all sounded so alien. But it did seem like fun.

"Sounds to me," he said as he slid sideways to avoid a child gleefully running in their direction. "Like you just need to find the people at this party who aren't stuffy or rich. You can't be the only outsider tagging along as someone's date. Bet you can find a few people who won't bore you by talking about business or investment or whatever it is rich people talk about. If not…" he shrugged. "Least there'll probably be good food."

As they walked, a sign caught Bo's eyes. It hung over the entrance to a shop, promising to provide shoppers with the finest gifts and knick-knacks. Yuri didn't really seem like a knick-knack kind of girl, but gifts were what Akane was looking for. He pointed at the shop as he glanced over at Akane. "Looks promising," he remarked. "What do you say? Want to see what they've got?"
Anonymous
Feb 23, 2017 11:25:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 23, 2017 11:25:05 GMT -6

Akane listened as Bo told her that she should look for non-stuffy people at the party. Considering how much Ren’ai hated her parents’ functions, she wasn’t sure that was possible. “Maybe you’re right, and I’m just letting Ren’ai’s horror stories freak me out,” she said. She didn’t know the Firebender that well, but she had been around her enough to hear stories about these kinds of events. “She hates them, but that maybe because she’s forced to participate.”

Akane gave a shrug of her shoulders, before glancing up at Bo. “Or maybe I’ll just get her to invite you and Akira so I know someone else there besides Yuri.” That was always a possibility, at least in her mind, but she didn’t know if either of them even wanted to go. If they did, then that would be great, but if not, she didn’t want her teammates and friends to feel obligated to go just because she wanted them to because she didn’t think she’d end up liking the crowd there.

The Waterbender was distracted by her thoughts as Bo started speaking again, pointing out a knick-knack shop. “It’s worth a shot,” she said, heading towards the shop that he had pointed out, and opening the door. “Hopefully I’ll find something I think she’d like.” A shop-worker greeted them, and she immediately started looking around. Surely something would catch her eye. She knew that she didn’t have to do this, but she wanted to.
Anonymous
Feb 23, 2017 22:56:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 23, 2017 22:56:15 GMT -6

It was sort of mystifying to Bo, how much Akane seemed to be stressing over the party. He didn't really understand the need for any anxiety. It seemed to him that she could just go to the party, eat some fancy food, maybe dance a little, and have a good time. And if anybody bothered her, well, she'd probably never have to see them again, so there was no need to worry. As she shrugged, he opened his mouth to tell her this, but then she continued.

The possibility of an invite to the party was attractive. "I mean, if I got the invite, I'd go," he replied with a shrug. "No reason not to, especially if it'd make things less awkward for you. Wonder how Ren'ai's parents would feel about that, though. I've never seen Akira try to act fancy, but I'm definitely not great at that. Manners aren't really my strong suit." He chuckled dryly. It could be fun, though unwise, to put some snooty rich people in their place.

Bo followed Akane into the shop he'd pointed out, raising a hand to acknowledge the shop worker as he looked around. The shop didn't seem to have any sort of unifying theme; its shelves held everything from strange colorful crystal formations to handcrafted wooden figurines made to look like past Avatars and other well-known figures from the past and from stories. "Knick-knacks" was definitely how he'd describe most of what he saw. He looked down at Akane. "So, is Yuri a weird wooden craving kind of girl, or a…" he squinted at something on a nearby shelf. It looked like just a piece of black cloth with an intricate design stitched onto it. "I don't actually know what this is."
Last edit by Deleted: Feb 24, 2017 17:57:32 GMT -6
Anonymous
Feb 27, 2017 15:45:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 27, 2017 15:45:15 GMT -6

Akane knew she was being a bit ridiculous over this party, but perhaps she was letting her girlfriend and her girlfriend’s best friend psyche her out. She didn’t know why she was making such a big deal about this, when she normally enjoyed mingling. “I think I’m letting Ren’ai and Yuri freak me out,” she admitted. “Neither of them speak about Ren’ai’s parents very well. Ren’ai speaks about her mom okay, though not her dead. She’s absolutely dreading this party, and I’ve spent Yuri and I’s entire relationship hearing about how much Ren’ai wanted to get away from all of that, and how much she hates these parties.”

Akane remembered when Yuri had told her that Ren’ai had gotten them an invite to the party. At first, she had been excited. That is, until she had remembered all the bad things Ren’ai said about these parties, and the people that frequented them. Yuri had echoed most of those statements, and admitted she had never been to one of them. “Yuri said she absolutely hating the idea of going, especially since she and her boyfriend broke up a couple months ago,” she continued as she looked through the racks of stuff that lined the shelves and bins in the shop.

“I doubt her parents are thrilled about having us there, but they don’t mind Yuri so they’re probably okay with it,” Akane admitted, picking up a weird misshapen carven that she couldn’t identify and putting it back. “I don’t know what they would think about you and Akira going – he’s not a fancy person either, in case you were wondering – but I think Ren’ai would like it. More ‘normal’ people going.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders. “I would actually appreciate knowing someone else there, instead of being in a room full of strangers. Only if you want to go, though, and then I can’t guarantee anything.” She’d have to ask Yuri to ask Ren’ai to ask her parents, you know it goes.

Akane walked back over to him as he held up a piece of cloth. “I’m not sure what that is, either,” she said. “It’s pretty but seems kind of… useless.” She turned her head, looking it again before turning away to look at something else. “I’m not sure what she’d like. She’s a simple person, you know?” She gave a sigh. “I know I’ll find something.” She just needed to see it, and once she did, she would know it. It was hard to narrow down what her girlfriend would want, though.
Anonymous
Feb 28, 2017 12:32:40 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 28, 2017 12:32:40 GMT -6

It was understandable that having to hear Ren'ai and Yuri speak portents of doom about the party would freak Akane out. "It can't be that bad," Bo insisted, frowning slightly. "I mean, if it's a big event, there've gotta be people there you guys can talk to. Normal people, I mean, not snobby rich people. They can't all be that bad, right?"

Honestly, he had no idea. They could all be that bad, for all he knew. He wasn't one of the affluent, and so hadn't met many of Republic City's upper-class citizens. But he had met Ren'ai, and she seemed nice enough. If she managed to defy the stereotype of her social status, surely there were others like her.

Bo offered Akane what he hoped came across as a supportive smile when she mentioned wanting him and Akira at the party with her. "We'll see what happens," he agreed. "But like I said, if you want me there, I'll go. Haven't been to any fancy parties, so I don't have any reasons to hate them yet. I'll happily take any excuse to eat rich people food."

For now, there was nothing that could be done about the party. Akane would just have to fight that battle when the time came, with whoever was at her side. For now, though, she had what seemed to Bo to be a much harder challenge. He hadn't had to give many people gifts in his life, but was keenly aware of how difficult of a task it was. Easy as it was for him to reassure Akane that she'd find something for Yuri, he knew that was not likely to happen in the first shop they entered…especially when the shop was this weird. He was still trying to make head or tail of it, with no success.

It seemed Akane was having the same problem. She looked as lost as he felt. He wracked his brains to try to think of a way to help her out. "Well, you said you wanted something she could treat as a good luck charm, right?" he asked. He wandered over to a glass case containing a selection of jewelry, most of it necklaces and bracelets. Rather than the gleam of precious gemstones, however, these accessories were studded with duller stones in a variety of colors, many with strange stripes or splotches. He looked over at Akane, and gestured toward the jewelry.

"Eh? Maybe?"
Anonymous
Mar 4, 2017 18:05:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 4, 2017 18:05:11 GMT -6

Akane shrugged. “You’re right, they can’t all be,” she said. “I mean, look at Ren’ai… Her boyfriend was also a nice guy, you know before they broke up.” Bo was right, and all she had to do was just go and have a good time with her girlfriend. The idea of having Bo and Akira there – the two people she was closest to outside of her family – made her feel a lot better. “I’ll get to dress up and eat good food at the very least. Not to mention dance with my girlfriend in a wonderful ballroom, since I’m sure that her parents will spare no expense as far as decorations go and such.” It wasn’t really her scene, but she had always loved socializing and mingling and such. This would be no different, even with the snooty rich people that were bound to be there.

She was dragged out her thoughts by Bo speaking again. Akane looked up at the Firebender before following his gaze. “It’s worth a shot,” she said, going over and digging through the jewelry bins. Most of it was kind of atrocious; she picked out a big gaudy one that looked more like costume jewelry for a child than it did for something an adult would actually wear. She gave Bo a look that said exactly what she thought about it as he held it out to him before putting it back where she found it. “I swear, most of the stuff in here is rather… odd.” She kept her voice low enough that the shop worker couldn’t here because she didn’t want them to hear them constantly bad mouthing the shop they were in.

Akane was about to give up and look elsewhere when something caught her eye. Digging a bit deeper, she grabbed the object in question and pulled it out gently. It was a necklace, with a simple beaded chain. It had an oblong green and black stone. It had an earthy quality to it, and not some fine, dainty gemstone that would seem out of place on her androgynous girlfriend. She turned to Bo, still holding the necklace. “She’s not much of a jewelry person, but I think that she might like this.” She may have actually found something, and at the first shop – one Bo had suggested.
Anonymous
Mar 4, 2017 21:29:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 4, 2017 21:29:21 GMT -6

Bo nodded as Akane shifted her perspective to focus on the positive aspects of the party. Personally, he'd never been an optimist, and was much more on the pessimistic side of things, but, while it might be difficult to see the silver linings in his own life, finding them in others' came easily to him. At the end of the day, regardless of who she met or how rude the rich people might be, she'd still be at a party. That had to be worth something.

But they could talk more about that later. First, they had a gift to find. Bo watched as Akane dug through the jewelry bins. He would have offered assistance, but without knowing what she was looking for—because she didn't know what she was looking for—he wouldn't have been much help. He cringed a bit at the first piece she pulled out. "Do people actually wear this kind of stuff?" he asked under his breath, gingerly poking the jewelry. "Guess not, if it ended up here." He looked back into the bins, bemused. He was certainly no fashion expert, but some of this stuff was just awful.

Then, Akane emerged looking a bit more hopeful. He leaned down to peer closer at the necklace, turning his head to catch the stone in the best possible light. "That's pretty," he remarked with a nod. "It's simple, but it's nice. Definitely not girly." He admired the necklace some more, and tried to picture in on Yuri. That was difficult to do, as he really wasn't sure what she typically wore. Still, it was a nice necklace, and even if Yuri didn't like it, at least she would be able to appreciate the thought. He smiled at Akane. "Looks like a good choice to me. If you want to keep looking though…" he waved an arm at the shop and its many oddities. "Maybe this place has other Yuri-like things. Me, though…I like to quit while I'm ahead."
Anonymous
Mar 10, 2017 18:20:20 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 10, 2017 18:20:20 GMT -6

Akane smiled up at Bo. Honestly, she was truly happy to have found a gift so fast. It could have been a very long day, but as it turned out, it was not anymore. Bo had suggested a shop, and she had found something quick off the bat. Sure, she had needed to rummage around a bit, but all in all, it had gone a lot faster than she had originally thought it would. Also, while she didn’t really need Bo’s opinion on the piece, it was nice to know that he agreed with her on the necklace in question. She could picture Yuri wearing it. “No, you’re right,” she agreed. “I’m not testing my luck. I’ve found what I came out for today.”

Akane headed to the counter and paid for the object. The shop worker wrapped the gift before putting it in a bag. She paid for it before heading over to her fellow Probender. “Well, shall we go then? I think we’ve done all we needed to do here.” With that, she turned and headed out of the shop. The wind cut through her, and she tugged her coat tightly around her to brace herself from the winter cold. Once they were walking down the street again, she looked up at him. “So, are you hungry? We could stop and get something to eat.” She needed a new dress for the party, but she could wait on that if they were going to go eat first. It would be nice to stay out of the cold as much as possible, too.
Anonymous
Mar 11, 2017 11:48:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 11, 2017 11:48:34 GMT -6

Bo smiled back at Akane as she acknowledged her success. He was glad to have helped her find something. And he was even happier that she'd found something quickly. He didn't mind shopping with her, but had been expecting a protracted search given that she hadn't started with any specific parameters. They'd gotten lucky, though. He might have been dismissive of this shop and its contents—to be honest, he still wasn't sure who most of this stuff was supposed to be for—but it had come through for them. He could be grateful for that.

Bo waited while Akane paid for the necklace-thing, idly staring at the rest of the jewelry while he waited. He wasn't sure where he stood on the stuff. He'd eschewed it entirely a few years ago in defiance of his parent's wishes for how he should look, but recently had been wondering if he should give it another chance. His mother had made him get his ears pierced when he was young, and the holes were still there. He could start small, maybe just one earring, and see how it went. Though…he turned away from the jewelry bin. If he was going to start wearing jewelry again, he absolutely would not be buying it here. Akane had gotten lucky; he didn't think that could happen twice.

Akane came back and suggested they head out. Bo nodded eagerly and followed her out of the shop. He was immediately hit by a biting wind. His attempts to combat it with flame breathed from his mouth were met with little success; the wind snuffed the flames before they could do any good. So he wrapped his arms around himself and just hoped he'd still have all his digits at the end of the day.

Akane's suggestion that they get something to eat was like a blessing from the spirits. Bo smiled, speaking through chattering teeth. "That's a great idea," he replied. "I could go anything, so long as its warm, but are you in the mood for anything specific?"