The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

One and Koh (pulling back the curtain of intrigue)

Anonymous
Dec 15, 2016 17:29:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2016 17:29:08 GMT -6

Well...

Now that the character of Yawai Hono has been introduced, and the Monks of Koh have come out in force to greet her, I've decided to follow that trend up with the way I had Yawai exit "A Distant Rumble".

First things first: Thanks goes to Yuji and Torana for allowing me to hijack the thread like I did, you're both very kind and excellent writers, thank you.

Yawai is going to end up having to investigate these faceless, apparently benevolent mystery monks that made her skin crawl, and wherever that leads her is going to be...I honestly don't know, but with the Galgori Six and Monks of Koh as the big elephants in the figurative Republic City room, Yawai was made to delve into these uncharted depths.

Her vulnerability makes her an excellent canvas for it too I think, so, I guess my big question is this:  Do I start a thread to start the downward spiral into the spooky abyss, and secondly, who wants in with me?

All comers interested accepted.

Lastly,

Any Ideas as to how this should start?

I figure it could be the missing persons case that Yawai is implied to be working on that sucks her and anyone else in, but I would rather share the plot on this and have another role player character supply the case/reason/ex mechina.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 15, 2016 17:33:53 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Missing persons would probably be a good way to start; there are plenty of them (all benders) and you're free to make up whatever or whomever you want. We ask only that if you are considering to have the missing person wind up dead, or otherwise abused / injured, that they be adults. LoK and AtLA are children's shows, and while LoK does delve into darker aspects of the story (as does TARP), we are uncomfortable depicting that sort of violence against minors.

The Monks will participate when appropriate, and Yawai may just find herself under the microscope of another NPC that has been stewing in our minds for a while ;)
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 15, 2016 17:44:12 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2016 17:44:12 GMT -6

Understood.

Thanks Kami!

Well, Yawai may likely start this alone then, but whoever wants to fall into this dark web feel free when I get the thread up.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 15, 2016 17:48:02 GMT -6

Honestly if you tag your thread as 'open' I'm sure people will wander in and out of it (: I will likely also have Ling make a brief appearance, but she tends not to do any sort of missing persons case due to her sister being a bender.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 15, 2016 17:53:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2016 17:53:01 GMT -6

I hear ya.

Thank you for the suggestion, Kami!
Anonymous
Dec 15, 2016 19:40:44 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2016 19:40:44 GMT -6

Firstly, Ruckus, I do want to say, I am glad to be of service! It's all pretty exciting with the plot in its baby stages and whatnot.

To be honest, I think my other character, Mei Ling, would be an excellent rp partner for Yawai at some point - she works for RCPD (as a scribe, not a cop) and her story also involves a missing person. She also may or may not have recently had a run-in with someone who appears to be a Galgori supporter... *wink wink* She's very curious and considerably more friendly than Yuji, and, with your permission, of course, she would likely recognize Yawai's name and game. She's no detective, but she is quite observant and loves to learn.

I will say, however, that she is unlikely to be involved in a situation where she knows she may need to fight her way out. At least as of now, Mei Ling willingly lives as a nonbender, and has more pacifistic tendencies. Think the type of person who'd rather give her wallet to a thief than try to fight them off. I understand from Yawai's profile that she can get up to some crazy shenanigans, so it would be unlikely that Mei Ling would be terribly useful in those sorts of threads, if that makes sense.

Really, I'm sure she might run into Yuji again as well, though he probably wouldn't treat her much better. In any case, let me know if this is an idea you'd like to try!

Welcome again to TARP, and happy posting!
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 15, 2016 19:41:14 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 15, 2016 20:10:16 GMT -6

I SEE YOU WINKING AT ME
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 15, 2016 20:41:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2016 20:41:53 GMT -6

I would love to have Mei Ling.

If anything, Mei Ling might be the person pulling an almost desperate and cold Yawai from the plunge, bringing her back to something a bit more kinder and happier. Hardboiled shtick and all, Yawai is treading the moralistic razor's edge that most fictional PIs wrestle with when they get low.

Yawai needs a friend right now, and Mei Ling might be what the Guru ordered.

And it seems Kami noticed the wink n' blink signal.

Kami, it's an open thread, so feel free to hop in!

First post in the thread's up.
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 15, 2016 20:42:35 GMT -6
Anonymous
Dec 22, 2016 14:31:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 22, 2016 14:31:11 GMT -6

Okay, Ruckus, since you picked door #2, I think we're going to have to get this plot a-rolling, as they say.

I'm happy to start a thread, but I think it would be best to try to hash a few things out before anything big starts.

1.) How do you feel about Mei Ling recognizing Yawai by name, or by name and face? Considering she works for the RCPD, I personally think it could be well-within the realm of possibility, but it's your call.

2.) What are your thoughts on how they might get acquainted? My first couple ideas were either right after Mei Ling gets off work, and she has an opportunity to approach Yawai. Another option I have is Mei Ling practicing firebending near the location of that warehouse fire Yawai has been mentioning, and they run into each other. How do those sound, and do you have additional ideas?

3.) How interested are you in becoming involved with one of Mei Ling's major plot lines? She does have a missing brother, who may or may not appear "in person" during the course of the plot. Would this be something that you might consider participating in?

This is honestly far more formal and detailed plotting than I've done in the past, so if it's too much and you'd rather go with the flow at this time, please let me know! Otherwise, I am more than happy to pick your brain a bit and see if we can't somehow get on the same page.

Thank you in advance!
Anonymous
Dec 22, 2016 15:59:54 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 22, 2016 15:59:54 GMT -6

To question 1: I think there's enough in the history of the character that it would make sense that certain people would know who Yawai is, especially the RCPD, especially by sight with anyone in the department. 

To question 2:  Mei Ling knowing who Yawai is a great thing to leverage here. She could seek Yawai out at Shen's in secret, or encounter her when she gets brought into the station for any number of plot reasons.

To question 3: I can't think of a better way for Yawai to discover some of the darker elements going in Republic City then by pursuing Mei Ling's case.  I think Yawai would fit well into your story, and vice versa, it will further Yawai's story too.

I'm all in if you are. 

Anonymous
Dec 23, 2016 11:11:45 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 23, 2016 11:11:45 GMT -6

Okay, it sounds like we've got some good foundations we can build on then. I'm not sure exactly how I want the missing brother plot to play out, but I'll pm you about what I have in mind so far... once I actually put it together, that is!

Any preferences on how you'd like this to begin? I'm happy to start a thread, but considering I'm technically on the clock as I'm writing this, it may take me a few hours to get it up and running.

I'm pretty stoked, I have to say =3 I usually just wing it, so this should be a joy and a challenge!
Anonymous
Dec 23, 2016 12:55:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 23, 2016 12:55:55 GMT -6

I'm fine with a new thread and having Yawai enter it. Having her show up at the RCPD would be a neat start. I could finish up the thread I'm in with Ling by having several officers haul her in for something petty (I have this funny idea that one of the detectives in the department is sweet on Yawai, so he keeps having her brought under various charges because he just likes seeing her). XD

Anyway.

Let me know what you have in mind, and I'll work into it as best I can.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 23, 2016 14:23:39 GMT -6

As a heads up we do allow liquid time here as outlined in the [guide]. This isn't mandatory, but if you want to start a thread w/ @saypikapika already then you're welcome to as long as you stay within the overall timeframe of the forum.

For example, if you look at my threads for , you'll notice that 'Conflict', 'Fashion and Gossip', and 'Lunch or Death' take place all on the same day but run concurrently.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Dec 23, 2016 16:27:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 23, 2016 16:27:04 GMT -6

I forgot about that element.

It is something I'm familiar with as PRW RPG (where I hail) also uses a variant of that method for promos and matches.

Great!

I can work with Ling, Mei Ling, and anyone else who can use a detective.
Anonymous
Dec 23, 2016 21:21:03 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 23, 2016 21:21:03 GMT -6

Okay, I'll get a thread up in Republic City. I'll try to include a few of the things you've mentioned, so if anything doesn't look right or needs altered, please let me know and I'll be happy to update it!
Anonymous
Dec 23, 2016 21:52:55 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 23, 2016 21:52:55 GMT -6

Sounds great!

Can't wait!
Anonymous
Dec 23, 2016 23:23:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 23, 2016 23:23:16 GMT -6

Sorry about the wait! The thread is (finally!) up and ready to go in Republic City: An Ear Against the Door.

I'll get you some of my thoughts about Mei Ling's plot via pm. Of course, please let me know if there's anything that needs to be adjusted or changed in post!
Anonymous
Dec 24, 2016 1:18:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 24, 2016 1:18:01 GMT -6

Thanks again for having me!