The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

It's the Yeast I Can Do (Hangetsu)

Anonymous
Dec 15, 2013 0:00:53 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 15, 2013 0:00:53 GMT -6

"Airi, the oven needs to be tended to," her brother, Aisen, mentioned to her as he passed through the kitchen. Her gold eyes flickered towards him though her hands never kept still as she kneaded the dough. Seemingly irritated, the younger sibling scowled and nodded his head towards the source of heat in the room. "I'm heading out. Meeting up with some friends," he let her know though she doubted he was saying any of this for her benefit. Him leaving left her in charge of the bakery until her parents got back home from going out to lunch, so when they got back she'd have to let them know where the nonbender had run off to. A simple raise of an eyebrow got her what other information she needed. "We'll be around the docks."

"See 'ya," she chimed, pushing the palm of her hand one last time into the gooey substance before pulling back and heading to the oven. Airi popped open the vent and tossed in a few coals before taking a step back, vaguely hearing the sound of the back door creak open and slam shut in the background. A deep breath filled her lungs while she took a proper stance, letting the air our quickly, thrusting her arm forward. A flame erupted from her fist, quickly speeding up the process of heating the coals up. As the oven heated up, as did the kitchen. She sighed, blindly reaching for a towel to her right - she knew one was there, usually. Her fingertips connected with a soft fabric and she pulled it closer to her to mop up the sweat that build on her forehead, neck and arms and then tossing it back where it used to be.

The woman stretched, reaching her hands high up above her, down to her toes then locking her fingers together and pushing out, feeling the muscles in her arms stretch and relax. She looked back at the slab of bread dough on a small portion of the kitchen counter. The other parts were covered in ingredients, tools, and trays of dough in circular shapes out to rise before she tossed them in the oven. A smile sneaked its way to her lips, feeling oddly accomplished at the sight before her. She had done most of the work this morning: heating up the oven, cleaning the kitchen to start the day (even though she had also cleaned it the night before; it was always a good idea to start with a clean kitchen), and starting the first batch of the day.

A bell sounded the quiet building - the front door! Airi looked down at herself: a white tank top, black pants and close toed shoes, all of which covered in flour. Up until a few minutes ago, Aisen had been dealing with customers and she had been dealing with the actual cooking, so she hadn't needed to bother looking too presentable. Her hands rubbed the burn marks that failed to heal completely that blanketed her arms. Usually she wore gloves to conceal those - the burns she usually acquired through mishaps in the kitchen or accidents with her own bending. Oh, and her hair! It was currently in a ponytail to keep her hair out of everything, but that did nothing to look presentable for a customer.

Then again, she couldn't let a customer go unattented. "Coming!" she called out as she took a moment to attempt to dust the flour off herself. Uh, yeah, that's pretty much as good as it was going to get right now. Moving to the front of the store, she wore a smile to greet whoever had come. "Welcome to Hitomi Bread and Goods. How may I help you?"
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Dec 16, 2013 16:59:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 16, 2013 16:59:16 GMT -6

He felt stupid and awkward. How else was he supposed to feel walking into a bakery with the intention of asking to be taught how to bake? People didn't bother him at work to ask how roads and buildings were fixed...well, people did bother him but it was mostly to complain about the inconvience of traffic being stopped temporarily.

Yutaka closed his eyes as he entered Hitomi Break and Goods praying that Airi was there and he would not have to have an awkward conversation with one of her coworkers.
Spirits he wasn't even sure he believed in answered his prayer as Airi answered.

Ah! Um, it's me...Yutaka." He paused and decided there was a chance she had met other Yutaka's at one time or another and decided to elaborate.
"Mifune. Yutaka Mifune. We met at the Dalai Art Museum...we ate at Mr. Udon's." Other details slipped through his the sieve that was his mind and hoped it was enough. He didn't think himself very memorable, not in the good sense, anyway.

It was before noon and therefore an ungodly hour to be awake on his day off so Yutaka had not eaten and found himself keenly interested in the break on display.
"I don't get the different kinds. Isn't bread bread?"

The smell of baking bread was fairly intoxicating but at the same time intimidating. He had never once used the oven in his apartment after hearing what could happen when an absent mind met a lit cigarette.
"You've never had an oven blow up, have you?"
Anonymous
Dec 18, 2013 0:53:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 18, 2013 0:53:00 GMT -6

A familiar face walked through the door. The woman could remember where she had seen him, what they had talked about, what he was like, but for the love of spirits, her age old nemesis came to haunt her again: she had forgotten his name. So when the first thing that came out of his mouth being that exact thing, it was all she could do not to let out a sigh of relief. "I remember who you are," she giggled, the flour that coated her arms bouncing off as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Yeah, you asked for a comb and told me it wasn't a line." Of course it hadn't been a line. It was a comb. Which, she guessed, was just a lot of little lines attached to a bigger line. In that case, he should have said that it was many lines.

She watched as he moved to the display case and smirked. "Not really. Well, I guess in a general sense, bread is bread, but it's like saying people are all the same even though some of us are benders and some of us aren't." A controversial topic, but from their conversations he didn't seem to mind it. Plus, it got her point across, and he was a bender, too! "Even then, some benders bend water, or fire, or earth." She smiled, picking up one of the loaves from the rack in one hand and a different loaf in another, placing them on the counter top. Usually she wasn't supposed to give out tasters, but he had paid for her meal the other night. It was only fair.

Airi broke off a bit from each loaf and held them out for him to take. "This one," she said, nodding towards her left hand, "is made from yeast that has been around for a long while. When you make the dough for bread, you set aside a bit of it for the next batch, so with each batch, the yeast kind of gets... better? I don't know how else to describe that process." The firebender then nodded at her other hand. "This one is made with a bit more oil and salt, so it's kind of more dry and saltier. It's usually used for eating with soups or such."

Then the realization struck her: she did really just go off on a ramble about bread? Her skin blossomed the color red. Perhaps she knew a bit too much about her trade, or showed it off too well. "Anyways," she lolled, moving to the side of the counter and lifting up the panel so he could join her in the back. That is, if he still wanted to.

Though, she had to say, she wasn't quite expecting that kind of question from him. "Noooo..." the woman drawled on. "We've never had an oven blow up on us." How would an oven blow up in the first place? "We - oh, my mom and I - light the fires ourselves. Firebenders, you know. So, no, no ovens have blown up." Airi gestured him to come in. "If you still want, there's an apron over there you should probably put on before you enter the kitchen. Oh, and a sink over there to wash your hands. You'll need to wash up to..." She gestured to herself, covered in flour and other ingredients. "Usually up past the elbows works fine." With that, she moved to the kitchen, glancing over at the clock. Nope, it wasn't time for the bread to come out of the oven, nor was the bread waiting to go in ready.

Her golden eyes glanced over at what she was working on before he had arrived. It was mostly just getting bread ready. Most of the strenuous work had been done earlier, so it was just repetitive now. Hm, maybe that'd be for the best to teach Yutuka.
Anonymous
Dec 20, 2013 10:06:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 20, 2013 10:06:14 GMT -6

As usual, someone had to tell Yutaka Mifune that life was more complicated than he previously thought. While he chewed on the two different pieces of bread he pondered the taste and textures and a disturbing thought emerged: If he couldn't figure out bread then how was he supposed to deal with something as massively complex as attaining the affections of a certain woman?
This combined with his worry over exploding ovens made the spoiled young man long for his old, predictable life with his parents, even if only temporarily.

He thought he had come prepared by wearing a short-sleeved, button-up shirt but didn't take into account how a black shirt would make every bit of flour on it stand out like a beacon leading people to his incompetence.
The apron was taken gladly after Yutaka washed his hands.
He didn't feel ready but he also knew that if he waited until he felt comfortable both bread and ovens would forever remain a mystery. He tried to think of it as a small step to independence from his parents...part of a small step, anyway.
This made Yutaka curious but wasn't quite sure how to deftly ask his question rather than blurt it out thoughtlessly.
"Don't you resent your family for making you work in their bakery?"
Anonymous
Dec 21, 2013 16:28:40 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 21, 2013 16:28:40 GMT -6

"I've already got this batch of dough ready, I just need to knead it a bit more and then shape it to get them ready to bake," she told Yutaka as he washed his hands in the sink. Her eyes flickered to the clock once more; it was almost time for this batch of bread to be finished. "For this bread, it needs to be an oval-ish shape and with generous room in between each other on the trays." Without much thought into it, she separated about half of the dough, placing it next to her for Yutaka to work on it and then began to knead her own portion. Huh, it was much easier to knead it without there being so much to work with in one go.

"Oh, to knead the dough, just push it out with the palms of your hands and then fold it. If it feels too sticky, add a bit of flour. Oh! Why don't you put a bit of flour on your hands, first? It keeps the dough from sticking to your hands," she informed him, watching him tie the apron around him. Airi was happy enough talking about bread and how to make it that his question for her came as something of a surprise. That kind of question had never been directed at her before and, truthfully, she had never given that kind of thing much thought. The firebender loved her family and was so thankful to them, even if Aisen might get on her nerves sometimes or her father might be a bit of a goof or her mother being a bit too high strung.

"No, I don't," she told him, but didn't look up from her work as she spoke, her hands busy kneading the dough. "I, uh, I've had this problem since I was younger. I have troubles with my long term memory. I forget things a lot and sometimes it's really obvious. Back when I was younger, it was really obvious." Airi paused, wondering if this kind of topic was okay for working conversation. But, she guessed, he did ask her if she resented her family. Her memory was a part of who she was today and her relations. "Not many kids wanted to put up with it. Playing games, they'd have to explain the rules every time we played and, even then, I might forget them mid-game. I'm also not very good at names. Because of that, I stayed home a lot. I've worked in this place for quite a while, and the repetitiveness of it is easy for me to follow. I guess, long story short, I'm glad my parents let me work in the bakery. They never made me do it. I always volunteered."

She bit her lip, glancing over at Yutaka. Would he think bad of her? She had gotten better with her memory lately, but perhaps he didn't want to associate with someone that others didn't like to deal with. Would he just up and leave or find some sort of excuse to leave without hurting her feelings? Or, perhaps, he was only here to learn how to bake and it didn't matter from whom he learned it from.
Anonymous
Dec 21, 2013 17:09:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 21, 2013 17:09:04 GMT -6

It didn't take long for Yutaka's arms to tire from the kneading process. He idly wondered how Airi's forearms weren't the size of tree trunks and then imagined the power of her punch should he ever wonder that out loud.

He felt more than a little awkward listening to Airi's story and intentionally became embroiled in the wad of dough he kneaded. When his arms began to ache too much he stopped and thought Airi's condition.
"I'm sorry. It sounds bad. T-there must be some good parts, yeah? Like you get to see a painting for the first time several different times? Or tastse something delicious?"

Yutaka bowed his head a bit as me massaged his forearms.
"Who says that a memory has to last for it to be good? Maybe, like fireworks, just that single, brilliant flash is enough even if it's fleeting."
He wiped his flour-covered hands on his apron and then his face as he absentmindedly rubbed his chin while smiling. By then he was looking directly at Airi.
"There's this artist I love...uh, not romantic love, but you know...I love his...or her work. This person paints on buildings and walls and is generally considered a public nuissance. The art is usually sand blasted away the next day but I don't think it was a waste of time and I don't think the artist thinks that either. It's this beautiful, tragic, temporary work and for that moment the world was a more beautiful place."

Eager to draw attention away from himself, Yutaka looked down at the rounded ball of dough he had kneaded and then at Airi.
"Is that okay?"

"So, uh, why don't you tell me a little something about pro bending. Someone tried to explain the rules to me once and I didn't get it. I'd like to get it."
Anonymous
Dec 22, 2013 20:46:14 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 22, 2013 20:46:14 GMT -6

Good parts? Her eyes opened wide with surprise. No one had ever trying to cheer her up when she told them about her disability. Usually, if they didn't leave, they would offer to help her or give her a sign that they understood and wouldn't judge her for it. But Yutaka was trying to... point out the bright side of it? She could hardly believe what came out of his mouth. Airi never even bothered to think of a good side to her memory problem. Living with it, it had always been a hindrance and a thing that set her apart from others, and never in a good way.

"I, uh," Airi found herself at a loss for words. She wished she could wipe the surprised look off her face or close her mouth that hung agape, or even just break herself from such a frozen state and blink. Words had never taken her off guard that badly before. Suddenly, she was conscious of everything about her body. Like her arms just hovering over the bread dough, which was ready to fold, and her hair, stands of it that clung to her lips and a few strands that itched her neck. Finally, after the surprise of his words, she managed to move, her head turning away from him to hide the blush that colored her cheeks a beet red and the stupid expression she wore.

"I've, uh, truthfully never thought of it that way." She whispered, "Thank you." The firebender doubted she'd ever see it as a good thing, but, for now, she might be able to think of it having at least one good outcome to such a problem. Her head turned to see the smile on his lips, his eyes locked on hers. Oh man, this room was hot. Maybe she should check on the oven, make sure it wasn't overheating. The last thing she needed was burnt bread. "A moment," she meekly squeaked out to excuse herself, stiffly making her way towards the oven and opened it slightly. The wave of head that passed over her was warm, but it was no warmer than it had to be. Oh, so she was the one who was heating up.

Yutaka talked about art, or at least a specific artist. It was insteresting to think about, but sadly her mind was elsewhere. He was so nice. He couldn't have just been saying those things, right? Upon her return, he asked if the dough was done yet. "Um, sort of," she breathed nervously. "Here," Airi directed as she stood behind him, placing her hands over his and moved them to push down on the dough, rolling it out, mainly using his palms. "You missed a few little pockets of dry flour. It makes it easier to burn." She moved, not touching any more. "It usually takes more of a palm movement to get it right."

The firebender took his dough and rolled it ahead of her, trying to get the shape just right before setting it on the pan, then moving on to do the same with her dough. "It's pretty simple once you get the basics," Airi began, leaning on the counter. "You try to knock your opponents back and off the platform, if possible. Only water is allow to do head shots and you can't use any other form of bending other than the three that are allowed. So no lightningbending, no sandbending, no turning water into ice or heating up the water. Once you get that, everything else is just refining that. Like, streams of fire or water can't be more than a second long and you can't bend more than one earth disk at a time. Any penalty will result in moving back." She paused to take a breath and to let the information sink in, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Umm, if no one ends up falling off into the sink, the further back you are will determine who wins. So there's three different sections for each team. If both teams are still in their first section, or whichever section, or an equal amount of players have fallen off, then there's a tiebreaker. A coin toss determines which team decides the element used in the tie breaker. First one to fall off looses and the point goes to the other one. There's three rounds, so a possible of three possible points. You need at least two to win the game, but if you manage to get everyone into the sink then it's an automatic win. That's why, even if a team has two points, you still play the third round." A smile graces her lips, proud of herself for remembering so much. "Any questions?"
Anonymous
Dec 26, 2013 22:58:12 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 26, 2013 22:58:12 GMT -6

For a moment Yutaka was certain that he had once again delved into the realm of the all-too-personal with Airi and was relieved to hear that his awkward compliment was taken to heart. Most people brought out the arrogant and snide part of himself but when he was with people like Airi and Ren'ai he actually put in some effort to curb his more obnoxious tendencies.
He wondered if he had some sort of buried infatuation with firebending women.

He listened to her talk about bread and tried to retain what she said and wished he hadn't asked about bending as it was all too much to absorb at the moment.
"I'll probably have to ask again later. If I try to learn too much in one day I fear my head might explode."
A lot of questions about both baking and bending filled Yutaka's head and for a split second the explosion he mentioned earlier seemed less metaphorical and more imminent.

Baking and pro bending...two things he never thought he would have an interest in. What a strange couple of weeks it had been. He thought better of trying to learn two things at once and decided to focus on baking. That would sustain him in a literal sense and give him an useful skill. It made more sense to focus on that than pro bending where his interest in it was tied into his interest to Ren'ai.
He could ask Airi about bending later.
"What's a good way for, um, say, an earthbender to practice? Pro bending, I mean. Not baking...I'd like to practice that too, but like I said I don't want too much information right now so I'm just asking about pro bending."
Yutaka tried to repeat that in his head but his mind rejected such an odious chore.
"There's this woman and...well, I've already said too much. Just forget what I said. I'd just like to learn a bit more about pro bending, that's all."
Anonymous
Jan 6, 2014 14:42:17 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 6, 2014 14:42:17 GMT -6

Airi smiled. "All you need to remember as an earthbender is: don't do any headshots and don't get knocked back," she said, hoping to simplify it for him. Caught up in the euphoria of remembering something long and complicated like probending rules and procedure she must not've kept it in mind that she was talking to someone who had little knowledge of the sport. With that said, she moved over to the oven and opened it a smidgen to see if the bread was ready. It was! She grabbed the oven mitts and opened the door all the way before she carefully pulled the bread out, setting it and the sheet on a clean counter. Quickly rushing to the other side, she grabbed the metal sheet that held the uncooked dough and slide it into the oven, glancing at the clock on her wall. Huh, she was making good time.

The firebender returned to the counter she was positioned at earlier and leaned against it. "Ummm, I'm not an earthbender so I can't really give you a whole lot of specifics but I can remember what the earthbender in my team did," she let him know, even if she didn't have that information currently ready to give him. Trying to stall for time, she made a few motions with her hands as to let him know she was thinking on it when she realized she hadn't taken off the oven mitts yet. With a small, embaressed noise, she stripped her hands of them and her eyes rested on the sight of the burn marks that blemished her skin for a moment though she managed to look away and back at her guest.

"An earthbending probender throws circular disks. Since you can only use one at a time, my teammate focused on accuracy. I can't remember how heavy the disks were, though, so I can't really help you on that regard. Maybem if you want to practice, try lifting rocks and throwing them, see how accurate your throws can be so you can quickly pick up the next one." Airi paused, a finger tapping at her chin as she wondered what else she could say to help him when he began to talk on his own.

"Ooooh," the woman sounded, a child-like look in her eyes as she eyed him. "A woman, huh?" She almost giggled at the thought. N-no of him having a girlfriend! Just, well, her own reaction to it. Here she was, getting asked for help for probending because...? He never really said it, but she had a feeling he wanted to impress this lady, whoever she was. "Got a crush on someone, is that it?" She dropped the childish outlook on it, her mannerisms following suite. If he liked someone, she shouldn't make fun of that, right? Oh dear, she hadn't a whole lot of experience on helping people with thing kind of thing. Was he even asking for help? He had only asked for stuff on probending.
Anonymous
Jan 6, 2014 21:13:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 6, 2014 21:13:38 GMT -6

Yutaka turned red because of the heat. The heat and nothing more. The heat and the bashfulness and nothing more.
"C-crush? I-it's m-more like, uh...I..." He bowed his head and raised his eyes to look at Airi. "Yes. I mean, I like her but it's only been one date and I'd like to ask her out again but I need something to talk about and she really likes pro bending."

A white partial hand print formed on Yutaka's forehead when he held his forehead and sighed.
"She likes it a lot and I like her a lot and...see...transitive property...and...ah, I'm curious if I can do it. And uh, it couldn't hurt for me to lose a few pounds."
He began scratching behind his ear as he tried to think of what else to say, further dusting himself with flour.
"If you have the time, maybe, perhaps you could teach? Me, that is, a thing or two? You and her make it sound like fun."

The offer to make it worth Airi's time almost crossed his lips but Yutaka could not imagine any amount of money being worth trying to teach him something. He'd seen more than a few of his tutors angrily sigh while rubbing their eyes.
Nothing else he could provide seemed adequate either. He knew good music clubs and even places that held amateur poetry readings, some of which were not awful. The only thing he had to offer was his company and that coin seemed especially tarnished.

Bending tips were the smallest of Yutaka's desires at that point. Airi had proved to be insightful and kind and, most of all, tolerant of the earthbender's idiosyncrasies. The idea of a friend that had no connection to his parents or his wealth was immensely appealing.
"You don't even need to teach me anything. We could just, you know, hang out or whatever. Go see a play or something like that."
Anonymous
Jan 9, 2014 14:43:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 9, 2014 14:43:11 GMT -6

Airi giggled, though she didn't mean to. She hadn't had many crushes before, except for a passing fancy for a certain woman and, once, a mechanic. Neither amounted to much and neither were sounded. The mechanic had moved on and she was sure she wasn't Ling's type. Inwardly, the firebender sighed at the thought of being with someone. It sounded so romantic and wonderful, but she often doubted anyone would think of her that way. Besides, she had her hands filled up with enough work around the place, plus a new friend!

"Yeah, I could do that," she agreed, a smile playing on her lips. It felt really weird, someone asking for her help, but it was so nice for her. "I'm a firebender, so what I learned probending wise might not really match up, but my dad's an earthbender and I know enough about probending itself to be able to help you." She nodded her head at what he last said, though. "Oh, it was so much fun! I don't often get to use my bending for anything other than heating up the oven. I just think bending is really fun, even though it took a lot of work with my mother when I was younger to get a hang of it. Still, in a city, there's not a whole lot of space to bend, especially when it concerns fire." She could just imagine accidently burning down someone's door or otherwise if she wasn't careful enough.

Lost in her thoughts, it was almost a surprise when Yutaka brought up hanging out. He had already seemed like a friend. He was nice and didn't mind her memory problem and though he was into a lot of things she wouldn't often think to do, it was appealing to go out and do some of them. "That sounds like a lot of fun," the woman exclaimed happily and clapped her hands together. "Yeah, and you were talking about live music and stuff? I'd really like to try that out."

It was an odd sight, seeing Yutaka pretty much covered in a fine layer of flour, suggesting to hang out or see a play, but she couldn't say she was any less weird. And for the first time in quite a while, she had found a friend.