The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Eye Colours & Bending

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 27, 2013 2:56:49 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
So a friend of mine brought this up over IM — are mixed-nation / bender-and-nonbender-union benders not bound by the eye colour + bending trait? (Note: not going to change on TARP unless there is overwhelming, normal-citizen evidence to support this)

She pointed out that Jinora, an airbender, has brown eyes, while Rohan — who, according to Katara in Ep. 1 of Book 1, is also going to be an airbender — has green eyes, like his non-bender mother.

I kind of hope this was an oversight, because I like the idea of eye colours corresponding to what element you bend. But if it's not, I think it may be because of a union between benders and nonbenders, the 'nonbender' maybe has the potential to be a particular kind of bender, and maybe any benders that result from such a union will get the "wrong" eye colour based on their non-bender parent's recessive* bending ability.

(* so to speak.)

What do you guys think?
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 29, 2013 20:39:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 29, 2013 20:39:42 GMT -6

I like the ideas of eye color corresponding to whatever bending ability someone has is a cool one but I also like the idea that a non-bender parent could make them have a different eye color. I looked back at Jinora and Rohan and noticed that they did in fact have different eye colors then what an airbender should have.
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Nov 17, 2013 0:51:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 17, 2013 0:51:26 GMT -6

It could perhaps be something that happened more often in the Avatar Aang days because the nations were quite divided?

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 17, 2013 5:50:32 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
whitethornwolf Avatar
Nov 17, 2013 0:51:26 GMT -6 @whitethornwolf said:
It could perhaps be something that happened more often in the Avatar Aang days because the nations were quite divided?

Oh hey, said 'friend' from the OP is here. (Do you remember this convo Tani)

I think that could be possible, though we did see earthbenders with marked *green* eyes in the (united) earth kingdom, save sandbenders, iirc, and there are brown-eyed people within the EK.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 17, 2013 6:28:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 17, 2013 6:28:16 GMT -6

I doooo! And yes, that's true. It could simply be a one-off thing. Jinora probably gets her brown eyes from her mother's side...wasn't Pema a descendant of the original Earth Kingdom chapter of the Avatar Fan Club?