The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Becoming Sweethearts [tag: zombi]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 5, 2013 1:58:59 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
No!

She stopped, startled by the forcefulness of Jin Ho's voice. Her hands stopped their work, and she looked up as he stood, looking emotionally torn and physically dishevelled as he worked the words out of his mouth.

Forget it, it's okay, I'll — I'll go home. I'm sure it'll be okay.

Her fingers clutched the handle of the teapot tightly. What was going on with him? She couldn't figure out Jin Ho lately, and the strain on their relationship seemed to increase and widen with each infrequent visit he made her.

I didn't really need your bed, I needed you.

Jin Ho's quiet statement slammed into her with the force of a train. The pot slipped from her hand and crashed against the counter, splashing water all over the floor. Hoshi didn't even notice, her green eyes fixed in a wide-eyed stare at Jin Ho, framed by the open door. He needed her, and she had been stupid, so stupid, so so stupid, and now he was leaving. She stared, unmoving, letting his words wash over her.

Thanks for always being there for me, Hoshi. I'm sure the tea will help.

Her mortification mingled with annoyance. Her lips thinned into a small, thin line as she dropped her gaze, seeing the broken pot for the first time. She was just trying to give him a restful sleep, but instead of clarifying he wanted her company, specifically, in bed, he was just going to leave. She would've welcomed him with open arms if she just knew where they stood. In the weeks she'd been tossed about on her emotions, she knew what she wanted from Jin Ho. It was okay if he couldn't give it, but things like sleeping in the same bed had to be off limits until she knew for sure.

"You're welcome," she said, her voice hoarse and strained. She gingerly started picking up the broken pieces of porcelain and started putting them in the rubbish bin. "Please be safe, then."

He was clearly going to see himself out already instead of actually taking the time to tell her what he wanted — what he really wanted from her, why he kept coming over, starting to say something without finishing. Fine. She could act aloof and nonsensical too.

A little voice in her head nagged at her to reconsider, that Jin Ho was out of his element. Hoshi ignored it, against her better judgement. She had been in emotional turmoil too! She kept trying to do right by him, and now he was leaving because she didn't get what he wanted right away.

After a moment, she looked up, her face unreadable. "Will I see you soon?" she asked, her tone flat.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Mar 5, 2013 2:59:34 GMT -6
Anonymous
Mar 8, 2013 14:54:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 8, 2013 14:54:18 GMT -6

Jin Ho paused. Her feelings were hurt, and she was annoyed with him. He could see it on her face. "Why don't I come tomorrow?" he asked softly. "At a reasonable hour, and cook you dinner?" He smiled a gentle smile. "I — I'm sorry I'm so awkward lately. I'm exhausted and I have a lot on my mind," he said. "I hope you can forgive me."

Her acceptance swept over him like relief and he closed his eyes for a moment, taking it in. Thank goodness. Even if he wasn't up to his best, Hoshi was always there for him. He needed to be better for her. As he bid her goodnight and walked home, he thought about what he would do to make it up to her, and how he could begin to open the door to talk about what was on his mind, about marriage.

The next evening Jin Ho made sure he got off work on time and went home to change into warm and comfortable clothing. He looked more like himself with a clean shaven face, neat and tidy braid, charcoal grey trousers and a handmade-by-his-mother soft sea green sweater. He felt more like himself, too. Hoshi's soothing presence had given him a few hours of sleep the night before, and his plans had given him something to look forward to. It was a very welcome change. He had all the things for dakjuk in his house already — it was a common winter food. Jin Ho often made it for himself because he could eat it for days. He hummed a little as he put ingredients into a worn brown bag, preparing to take them to Hoshi's. On the way he stopped to buy some soju.

When he arrived at Hoshi's apartment, Jin Ho's eyes were bright and he seemed in much better spirits than usual. He grinned as she opened the door, arms full of soju and ingredients — even a whole chicken! "Hi," he said, grinning hopefully, "I thought I'd make dakjuk for you. Perfect weather for it, huh?" Getting into the place he immediately set the soju on the table and went to the kitchen with the rest.

"I assumed you have kimchi," he called out as he began to trim the chicken, "so I didn't bring mine. You do, right? Or should I go home to get mine?" He couldn't imagine Hoshi being with kimchi. Mrs. Jeon always had some ready and a batch fermenting besides! He placed the chicken in a pot with washed rice and added a lot of water, turning heat on underneath. Once the heat was on, Jin Ho threw a ton of garlic into the pot. It would have to cook for a while, and that was what the soju was for. They could enjoy drinking a little while he prepared the geotjeori.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 9, 2013 13:22:27 GMT -6

Jin Ho left, and Hoshi twisted the lock shut viciously behind him. Grabbing a pillow from the couch, she buried her face in it and screamed, her normally well-put-together demeanour cracking. Stress, she thought with disconnect as she took a breath. She had felt so anxious and had tried to be understanding and accepting and she Just. Couldn't. Handle it. Anymore.

She pulled the pillow from her face, relatively certain that the fabric and cushion muffled her cries, and took a deep, steadying breath. Hold it together, Hoshi, she reprimanded herself. Falling apart now would do no one any good; it'd be completely counter productive to anything. Whatever would happen, would happen in its own good time. With a sigh, Hoshi returned to the kitchen, cleaning up the remaining pieces of shattered teapot and wiping the water up with a cloth. She pulled a pot from the cupboard and filled it with water, setting it on the stove to boil; she'd have to buy a new teapot before Jin Ho came over the next day.

After fixing herself some tea and taking off her makeup, Hoshi crawled back into bed, not bothering to change out of her 'nice' sleepwear.

————————————————————

She felt better after a good night's sleep. The shop was too busy for her to dwell too much on the night before, and before she knew it Hoshi found herself asking to be excused early. Umma said no, at first, until Hoshi explained that Jin Ho would be coming over for dinner. No sooner were the words out of her mouth than her mother insisted she hurry up and go home.

Having no time to stop by the marketplace, Hoshi took home a teapot from the shop.

Quickly, she showered and did her hair; she had wanted to do finger waves, but she wasn't sure when Jin Ho would get out of work; instead, she let her pixie-cut hair air dry and brushed out the ends until her hair was fluffy, but not frizzy. Very carefully, she put purple eye shadows on to accent her eyes and make them pop, adding a brown eyeliner. She was careful to use a light hand on her eyeshadow; she didn't want a very dramatic look.

Satisfied that her eyes were as green as possible, she added a light blush to her cheeks and a coral-coloured lipstain.

Clothes, on the other hand, were a much more difficult choice. Eventually, she decided on a cream-coloured blouse with a ruffled trim and a pleated plum-coloured skirt. She slipped into seamed stockings, but left her house shoes on.

She had just decided to put on a pair of faux-pearl earrings when Jin Ho came to the door. Quickly, she shut the door to her room — her rejected outfits were all tossed on her bed — and opened the front door for him. His arms were full of groceres, and he smiled at her.

I thought I'd make dakjuk for you. Perfect weather for it, huh?

Hoshi smiled, closing the door gently behind him. It was her favourite dish, and it was perfect weather for it.

"The kimchi is in the usual cupboard," she replied, waving her hand, unable to keep her smile stretching across her face as Jin Ho busied himself in the kitchen. Hoshi pulled out some branded glasses from the dishware cupboard and poured the soju for the both of them. She handed Jin Ho a glass and raised hers to clink with the edge of it.

"You look much better today, sweetheart."

He did. His hair was back in its usual braid, he'd shaved, and he smelled of sandalwood. He still looked weary — considering the long hours he'd been working, a shower and grooming would only do so much — but definitely better, and in a more pleasant mood. It was infectious.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Mar 18, 2013 2:45:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 18, 2013 2:45:23 GMT -6

Jin Ho smiled a little. He pressed a sweet kiss to Hoshi's forehead as she tipped her glass before taking a drink from his own. "I got some sleep," he said, "miraculously. I could use more, but I'm at a point where anything is better than nothing." He set the glass of soju aside and began washing leaves for the salad — lettuce, perilla, chrysanthemum leaves, all of them turned over in Jin Ho's strong hands as he cleaned them slowly. He left them wet and tore the lettuce and chrysanthemum leaves by hand into bite size pieces. The perilla he cut into strips. "So," he said slowly, "tell me about your new friend again. I'm afraid I was out of sorts last time." He looked up at her and smiled. "A boy friend, right?" Was his jealousy obvious?

Probably.

The policeman set to work on the dressing, mixing soy sauce, vinegar and sugar together. He whisked them steadily until the sugar dissolved and then added sesame seeds and oil, hot pepper powder, and other seasonings to make the dressing taste just right. The greens were tossed with the sauce and then the whole bowl was put aside, waiting on the chicken to cook. They had hours now to talk. Normally that didn't even give him pause. Why was he so nervous around her lately?

Going to the table, Jin Ho took a seat across from Hoshi. "I have to tell you something," he said, "and I don't think you're going to like it much. But I —" he rubbed at the back of his neck, nervous. "I've been feeling awkward lately and I know you've noticed. I didn't mean to make you so angry with me yesterday, but I realize I did." There was no use in her denying it, either. Jin Ho knew her like the back of his hand.

He wasn't sure how to get around to spitting it out. The trouble was that he wanted to say he'd broken up with Mizu after their talk about him loving her, but he didn't want her to think that he meant that he liked women. Jin Ho was more sure than ever, now that he'd had a boyfriend, that he was attracted to men and men only. The thought of sleeping, sexually, with Hoshi was.... well, boring. It didn't bother him, that is to say, he did not find the thought off-putting. But it didn't excite him. It was the same as thinking of doing laundry. Jin Ho was sure he couldn't say he likened sleeping with her to doing laundry to her face and have her be pleased. So what could he say?

If he said he had feelings for her, would she know what he meant? Jin Ho didn't want to insult his dearest friend. He wasn't even sure what he thought of her as, to be honest. Just a friend? Surely not. A lover? No. Then what? What other categories were there? He sighed, realizing his face must surely be conveying his inner torture. "I'm confused," he said, finally. "About you. And me."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 20, 2013 23:27:45 GMT -6

The kiss surprised her, but pleasantly, and she smiled a little to herself as Jin Ho resumed working on the food.

So, tell me about your new friend again. I'm afraid I was out of sorts last time. A boy friend, right?

Hoshi tilted her head at him, blinking as she tried to figure out who he was talking about. "Oh!" she exclaimed after a few moments, "you mean Shtiya? He is a boy, yes." The nature behind the question was lost to her as she began to talk about her new friend. "He's very kind — a healer from the Northern Water Tribe, who came here to help people. Isn't that sweet?" She sipped her soju a little and smiled. "I think he and I will be good friends. He's kind of quiet but I think I talk enough for the both of us." She laughed. "He was telling me about comic books, and I was thinking of picking one up. Did you know there is one about a girl learning to cook? I asked someone at the bookstore a couple of blocks from here about it and she says it is also a romance. Imagine! I thought comic books were just for children."

Jin Ho set aside the salad, and she leaned over the bowl to sniff. "Mmm..." she murmured, closing her eyes to experience the scent more fully. "I'm already getting hungry! Work was busy-busy today. I only had a moment between rushes to have half a sandwich."

Grabbing the soju bottle, Hoshi made her way to the table to wait, feeling significantly more light-hearted. This was more like the conversations that she was used to having with Jin Ho. She topped off her glass, and did the same for Jin Ho as he sat.

I have to tell you something, and I don't think you're going to like it much. But I — I've been feeling awkward lately and I know you've noticed. I didn't mean to make you so angry with me yesterday, but I realize I did.

In an instant, Hoshi's happy smile became strained. She set her glass down carefully and thought about her response for a moment before speaking.

"I have noticed, yes," she said slowly, feeling like she was walking on very unstable ground, "and I was angry last night." She almost added that it was okay, but she stopped herself. It wasn't okay. She could admit something else, though. "And I apologise, for what it's worth. I could've handled that much better than I did, all things considered."

Hoshi stopped, seeing that Jin Ho was struggling to say something. She took a sip of soju while she waited. Then another, and another. She turned the glass in her hand, waiting for him to speak.

Her heart was pounding in her ears, and she wondered if he could hear it. She jiggled her foot under the table absently. What was it? What did he want to tell her? She tried to smile reassuringly, to encourage him, but then stopped, feeling that it might look too strained.

Then finally — finally! — he opened his mouth to speak. Hoshi almost breathed a sigh of relief; it had only been a minute or two, according to the wall clock, but it felt like an eternity.

I'm confused. About you. And me.

It... wasn't what she was expecting. Not that she had been expecting anything in particular, but whatever she thought it was it wasn't that. "I... I don't understand," she said softly, her brows kitting together. "What is there to be confused about?" She reached over to pat his hand, tilting her head to the side. "I'm here for you, as always. And you are here for me, no?"

Suddenly, Hoshi was afraid the answer would be 'no'. She bit her lip, exercising all of her patience, so Jin Ho could have a chance to respond.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 9, 2013 14:22:48 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 9, 2013 14:22:48 GMT -6

"He's very kind — a healer from the Northern Water Tribe, who came here to help people. Isn't that sweet? ... He was telling me about comic books, and I was thinking of picking one up. Did you know there is one about a girl learning to cook? I asked someone at the bookstore a couple of blocks from here about it and she says it is also a romance. Imagine! I thought comic books were just for children."

Of course they weren't just for children. Jin Ho happened to own quite a few ah... romantic... comic books of his own. He flushed a little but just nodded. "I'm sure you'll enjoy it," he said. "It sounds like it's right up your alley, doesn't it?"

He smiled when she said she was always hungry.

What is there to be confused about? I'm here for you, as always. And you are here for me, no?

Jin Ho sighed and rested his head in his hands so he didn't have to look at her. "Of course I am," he said mournfully, "it's just that I — I wasn't truthful with you, entirely, about why Mizu and I broke up. I — " Now that the words had started, he found he couldn't stop. They came pouring out. "He said it was like I was also in love with you, and at first I thought that was ridiculous, but I — maybe it's not, and maybe I am, except I don't... I'm still not... we can't...." oh, stop talking, Jin Ho! This was going even worse than he'd feared. "With the sex. I'm not really.... you know." Instantly he got up to go and stir the soup, trying to regain his composure.

Damn! Now he had ruined everything! That was the single least graceful way to air that laundry!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 9, 2013 14:49:16 GMT -6

I-- I wasn't truthful with you, entirely, about why Mizu and I broke up. I--

Hoshi's grip tightened around her glass. What? she thought bewilderedly as words tumbled out of Jin Ho's mouth like water from a broken dam.

He said it was like I was also in love with you, and at first I thought that was ridiculous, but I — maybe it's not, and maybe I am, except I don't... I'm still not... we can't.... With the sex. I'm not really... you know."

Abruptly, he stood from the table and headed into the kitchen. Hoshi barely registered the movement, her mind still reeling. He might still be in love with her, except... what, they couldn't what? She stared at the soju in her glass, trying to piece together Jin Ho's ramblings.

After a few moments, Hoshi also stood from the table and made her way to where Jin Ho was stirring the soup, his back turned to her. Hesitantly, she reached up to touch his back; then she paused, thought better of it, and slipped her hands around his waist.

"I'm not sure I understood everything about that," the woman said slowly, her cheek resting against his back, "but I love you. I don't care if we never do that. I can't be like that for you. That's okay. That you love me back, like this, at all is enough." Her heart thumped loudly in her chest, and Hosh was certain Jin Ho could feel it.

So it wasn't the love confession of her fantasies. When did anything turn out like that, anyway? But it was something, more than what she had ever expected or dared to hope for. She could live with only this, even if it meant sharing Jin Ho or letting him go if he found someone that could be everything for him.
This user is Mod
Last edit: May 9, 2013 14:50:29 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 9, 2013 16:51:54 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 9, 2013 16:51:54 GMT -6

He startled a little when she slipped her arms around him, but relaxed instantly. He was still on high-alert, even now. It was frustrating to always be on the lookout for something. He swallowed as he stirred the soup. Yes, he loved her. It was pretty obvious, though he'd been trying to avoid saying so. She made him happy, comfortable. She understood him. He felt that he was a better person when he spent time with her. All of those things were what love was supposed to be. Love didn't have to be sexual to be romantic, did it?

" love you. I don't care if we never do that. I can't be like that for you. That's okay. That you love me back, like this, at all is enough."

"Well I don't care," said Jin Ho without thinking, "if you have a lover on the side to satisfy you outside the marriage. I mean, I probably would." Suddenly realizing he'd just spoken assuming she understood him, he flushed, but couldn't get anything else out. How presumptuous! What sane person would agree to such an arrangement?

Although, given how often monogamous couples seemed to cheat on each other, it might seem like a great idea to plenty of people. They could both have the stability of a home with someone they loved, children, loving families... but they could also both enjoy whatever they liked outside of that, within certain boundaries. It would probably take a lot of work, but wasn't it possible? Surely it was possible. Jin Ho bit his lip. "This will be ready soon," he said, even though it wasn't really all that 'soon' that the dakjuk would be ready. It still had an hour to cook at least.

Pulling away from her, he wandered into her living room and flopped onto her sofa. While he was only average height, he could still take up a whole sofa when lying across it. Absently, Jin Ho toyed with his hair. Wouldn't his parents be happy if he married Hoshi? It would be their dream come true!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 17, 2013 19:24:52 GMT -6

...outside the marriage.

Hoshi blinked, her hold on Jin Ho's waist loosening as he muttered about the soup being ready soon and pulled away. She stood in the kitchen for a few moments, stock-still; maybe she had misunderstood him. Shaking her head as if to clear cobwebs from it, Hoshi walked back to the table and grabbed her glass of soju. She joined Jin Ho in the living room, sitting on the ottoman, and took a quick gulp of her drink. Her eyes watered a little as the alcohol burned its way down her throat, and Hoshi had to blink a little to get her vision back.

Jin Ho was playing with his hair absently, draped across the sofa like a cat drapes itself on a window sill. Hoshi looked at him for a few moments, unable to stop the corners of her mouth from turning up into a small smile.

But back to business.

"Sweetheart, I'm... I'm not really sure I understand what's happening." Hoshi tilted her head to the side, her legs wiggling up and down as she shifted her leg weight onto the balls of her feet. "What did you mean, outside the... the marriage?"

Despite herself, Hoshi found she could only whisper the word, her throat suddenly dry and constricted. Was Jin Ho ... asking... no, he couldn't be!

Right?
This user is Mod