The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Becoming Sweethearts [tag: zombi]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 5, 2012 21:55:50 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hoshi waited anxiously for Jin Ho's arrival, wringing her hands in her lap as her foot beat a steady tattoo against the wooden floor. She stared at the clock, feeling her body hum in anticipation for his arrival.

Tick... tock... tick... tock...

He had called her unexpectedly; it was a nice surprise, considering how busy she figured the Police Department must be. It had only been a few days since Amon showed his face (so to speak) at the ProBending Arena. When she heard on the radio that the place had been infiltrated by Equalists, she had started to shake — she and Sohee had been there the week before! She had wanted tickets to the Finals so bad and hadn't been able to get them... Someone was looking out for her, it seemed.

The city was in near-chaos. The Café had been getting less business since the attack; those that dared venture outside wore troubled expressions, huddled into their tea as if afraid of being overheard.

As an earthbender, Hoshi was worried herself. She didn't doubt that the Police Department and the Avatar were trying their best, but she also realised how Amon had tricked them into playing into his hands — making that demand on the radio to shut the place down, then infiltrating the arena and humiliating Chief Bei Fong. She wondered how Jin Ho felt, having his esteemed Chief replaced.

Tick... tock...

His phone call to her had been brief; she had just gotten out of the shower when he called, presumably after a shift. She was worried. His voice sounded... off. Not bad, just different. Had something happened?

Her little clock began to chime seven, its dainty peals in sync with the beating of her heart. She had hot water and tea leaves already set up on the living room table; hopefully Jin Ho would arrive soon.

She sat on the couch, dressed a comfortable "home dress" made of a light blue, pinstripe fabric and her house shoes; her hem was getting wrinkled as she crumpled it over and over again.

About five minutes past the hour — thank goodness, the water was still hot! — she heard Jin Ho's familiar rap on the door. She stood and let him in, a warm but nervous smile on her face. "Hello!" she said, trying to sound as pleased to see him as she felt, minus her nerves. "Come on in, I've got tea waiting."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 13, 2012 18:28:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 13, 2012 18:28:24 GMT -6

Jin Ho was, to put it mildly, exhausted. He'd been working overtime since the Arena incident, fearful for his family and the people he loved. He'd taken overnight shifts on the streets, determined not to let anything happen to his people. As a consequence he hadn't seen his boyfriend in days and he had lovely dark circles going under his eyes. His braid was a bit of a mess and he had forgotten to eat at least twice that week, resulting in some dizziness around midnight. The anxiety was in full force, naturally — he'd stopped being able to pretend he was all right with anything but foot patrol. Luckily, his superiors for now were thankful to have him volunteering to be on the streets, so no one asked questions. That detective worried him, though... out of that sense of worry, Jin Ho worked harder than usual and found himself entirely unable to sleep at night.

Of course Mizu was busy with the restaurant. Of course. He didn't want to get in the man's way, and he knew that the Waterbender had no idea how to respond to his nightmares. It was embarrassing that he had them at all. So the police officer attempted sleep by himself in his apartment and found the effort even more exhausting. Jin Ho was constantly worried about pleasing Mizu, convinced that no matter what he did, he was probably doing it wrong. The other man was so... moody, so often. The policeman often felt as if he upset Mizu most of the time. He'd taken to trying not to sleep around him at all because it seemed like it might upset him less if Jin Ho was more... normal. But he couldn't sleep, and so he was just worn out, cobbling together the few minutes he could here and there.

Out of desperation he'd called Hoshi, needing to see her. He'd come to the realization that he simply could not possibly live without her, whatever that meant. She understood him in ways that no one else did, and he wasn't sure anyone really... could. She was on his mind equally as often as his boyfriend. He just needed to see her.

As soon as he stepped through Hoshi's door he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close and breathing in her smell. It was comforting, warm, familiar — all things he desperately needed. Jin Ho smelled like coffee, which he hated, and metal lubricant and hot black pepper. He was aware that he looked awful, still in uniform, and chose to bury his face in his oldest friend's hair for a moment, seeking... something. His grip on her was quite tight and he took a deep, almost shaking breath.

I've got tea waiting

Ah, right. Of course she had tea. Hopefully one of her herbal ones to calm his nerves. He really needed a hot shower, a decent meal, and about fifteen hours of deep sleep. But tea would have to do. He pulled away from her finally and sighed. "Tea sounds great," he said.
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Nov 15, 2012 0:42:21 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 15, 2012 6:01:11 GMT -6

Jin Ho pulled her into a hug, burying his face into her shoulder. A little surprise, she reciprocated the hug, rubbing his back in a soothing manner. Something was wrong. He smelled like coffee. He hated coffee. His hug was longer than normal and just a little bit too tight. But he seemed to need it, so she stood there, rubbing his back, waiting for him to let go.

At the mention of tea, he did, sighing. Hoshi's brows knit together in concern. What was wrong? She slipped a hand on the small of his back, urging him into the living room.

"Have a seat, honey."

She walked quickly into the kitchen, throwing open her cupboard and grabbing a tin. The tea she had set on the table was a bit of a heavier autumn tea, and Jin Ho really looked like he needed to relax. She brought over the new herbal blend, deftly spooned the leaves into a silver strainer balanced on the porcelain cup, and poured hot water over it.

"You look so exhausted," she murmured, fixing her own tea. She kept the autumn blend for herself. "Are you taking care of yourself?" Hoshi looked up, concern written in her emerald eyes. She reached over and patted Jin Ho on the arm. "I don't want you getting sick from overwork."

The short-haired woman wondered what could be bothering him. He looked like he had something on his mind; his normally neat braid was a little dishevelled, and he seemed to have come straight from work since he hadn't bothered changing out of his uniform. It was most unusual.

She leaned forward, trying to look into his eyes. "Sweetheart, are you okay?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 15, 2012 21:24:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 15, 2012 21:24:21 GMT -6

As ordered, Jin Ho sat. When she offered a tea cup, he took it and wrapped long fingers around it, savoring the warmth. It smelled like an herbal relaxation blend, the type she always had on hand for his too-sensitive nerves. He could always trust her to know exactly what he needed. Relieved, the police officer settled into the sofa, letting himself relax for the first time in what felt like weeks.

"You look so exhausted. Are you taking care of yourself?"

Leave it to Hoshi to state the obvious. Jin Ho chuckled humourlessly and looked down into his tea. "Yeah," he said. "I'm —" but he found that as usual, it was impossible to lie to her. He focused on drinking the tea instead, closing his eyes for a moment. He felt almost dizzy with exhaustion, the way he'd been feeling for the past few days. He lifted the cup to his face, pressing his cheek against the porcelain to feel its warmth. He was trying to take care of himself. It's just that it wasn't working very well.

She leaned forward and he leaned back, not feeling ready to meet her eyes yet. "I'm... mostly okay?" he replied. "I've just been worried lately. About Mizu. About you. My parents. The city. Amon." The list went on and on. The Equalists showing their strength had terrified everyone, and they'd abducted many of his fellow metalbenders. To make matters worse, his beloved Chief Bei Fong, in whom Jin Ho had always had an unshakeable faith, had been replaced by a man he barely even knew, let alone trusted. Park Jin Ho truly felt like his world was falling apart and there was nothing he could do about it. Pressing a hand to his face, he sighed.

"I haven't been sleeping," he confessed. "And I'm the worst boyfriend ever and a cowardly policeman, and now I've come here and I'm worrying you too." This wasn't right. He didn't want to upset her. He should've just gone home and taken a shower for a while...

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 16, 2012 21:02:46 GMT -6

I haven't been sleeping. And I'm the worst boyfriend ever and a cowardly policeman, and now I've come here and I'm worrying you too.

"Stop that." Hoshi set her cup of tea down and wagged her index finger at Jin Ho. "You stop that, right now." She stood up and moved to the hallway closet, talking as she grabbed a blanket and some of Jin Ho's clothes. "You know you shouldn't talk down on yourself like that!" But, of course he wasn't sleeping. With the city in a state of political and emotional turmoil, what police officer would? And Jin Ho's situation was worse — mainly the loss of Sweeper. How could she have been so blasé as to not check up on him more frequently? His nightmares had to be back, without Sweeper there to comfort him and wake him if he sensed one coming. No wonder he wasn't getting any sleep, with all these worries piled on top of his trauma.

She handed him a change of clothes. "Go take a shower," she ordered, one hand on her hip, the other pointing in the direction of the bathroom. "Take as long as you need. I'll make you some dinner. You haven't eaten, have you? Go on, get to it."

The poor thing. He looked so tired. Well, if he needed taking care of and he came to her, then by golly, she was going to take care of him; it was the only way to show her love. While Jin Ho showered, Hoshi rolled up her sleeves and got to work in the kitchen. What did she have? Well, let's see... a lot of vegetables, some cubed cowpig, some soup stock, tofu, eggs, and of course, rice. She grabbed one of her larger flat pans from the cabinet and set rice — two parts water, two parts rice — on the stove in a metal pot to boil, on a high heat so it would cook more quickly. She cut up everything into even cubes, and by the time the rice was done everything was ready. Quickly, so as to make sure the rice didn't over cook or burn, she took the pan off the stove and set it aside to cool. She put a little oil in the flat pan, and quickly cooked the vegetables, meat, tofu, and eggs together in a very quick stirfry.

By the time Jin Ho was done with his shower, she had the kitchen table set; the stirfry was in a large clay serving pot, and the rice in a smaller clay pot. The bowls and utensils were out, and their tea had been moved from the living room to the table. The cooking dishes were already soaking in the sink for quick cleanup after the meal, and the scents of good cooking filled the air.

She smiled at Jin Ho as he came out of the hallway. "Feeling refreshed?" she asked, then gestured to the hastily thrown-together meal. "Sorry, it's just a little something." She stood on her tippy toes and grabbed the jar of kimchi from the shelf, then set that down on the table too. "Come on, sit," she invited, sitting at the table herself. "I'm sure you're hungry."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 17, 2012 1:31:04 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 16, 2012 23:04:02 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 16, 2012 23:04:02 GMT -6

Green eyes widened as Hoshi shoved a pile of his old clothes into his arms. Jin Ho had almost forgotten for a moment that he left a set of clothing at her house all the time — it had come in handy more than once before. They were just old things really; a faded, wooly jumper with patches on the elbows, a pair of red socks, and a pair of nondescript grey trousers. Jin Ho wasn't terribly fashion-forward and never had been. Hoshi ordered him to take a shower with a no-nonsense tone to her voice. Meekly, Jin Ho took the clothes and set down the cup of tea.

"No," he said, "I haven't eaten." He felt bad to just desert her and take a shower, but the hot water was too inviting. He needed to wash his hair, too, and he knew she wouldn't mind his using her shampoo. That was a true friend!

The policeman stood under the hot water for a long time, eyes closed and hair loose. He let himself finally relax a little, shoulders slumping. The smell of her soap, plain and clean, was just as comforting as the water itself. Her shampoo had the tang of lavender to it, a relaxing scent. He felt like he could almost fall asleep in the shower! Unfortunately, his exhaustion crept up and the young man felt a bit dizzy as he began to rinse his hair. He'd do better to go ahead and get out.

As soon as he got out of the shower, Jin Ho put a hand to the wall to steady himself. No doubt about it, he needed to eat and sleep, in that order — and soon. He dried quickly, the aroma of food already filtering into his awareness. His stomach growled loudly as he pulled the sweater over his head. It was a deep olive-y green, made by his mother. The young man put the socks on chilled feet and slipped out in the hall again, still wringing water out of his hair into a towel.

The sight of rice and kimchi made his mouth water. He sat instantly, staring longingly at the food. Of course, he'd wait for her permission to eat. As soon as she gave it, he dug into the meal with gusto, entirely silent due to hunger. Only after he'd gotten about half of it down did he pause to drink more tea and speak. "Ah — thank you," he said. The dark circles were still prominent under his eyes, but he obviously already felt much better.

"I don't know what I'd do without you," Jin Ho said fervently, giving Hoshi a warm, loving look. He wished, not for the first time, that they lived together. Life seemed much easier and less anxiety-provoking at Hoshi's house. There was something about her presence that was just... grounding. Right. He smiled and looked away, mindful of his thoughts. Pretty heavy stuff to say to a person one wasn't sexually attracted to, wasn't it? He had no idea how she'd take that. Or what Mizu would say if he told him he wanted to love them both. Was that even possible?

It felt so crazy. Jin Ho was genuinely concerned about himself half the time. He was abnormal. Something had to be wrong with him, right? How could he want more than one person equally as much, but in entirely different ways? And who would ever put up with such a relationship?

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 20, 2012 21:54:59 GMT -6

He looked really, really tired. She'd seen it before, but now that they were sitting together for dinner, the dark circles under his eyes were really prominent. He scarfed down half of his food before even looking up; she smiled a little to herself. She loved it when she made things that he enjoyed, when she was able to help him and take care of him. Maybe it was selfish, this desire to be needed, to want to have Jin Ho turn to her if he needed someone. She stared down at her food, taking dainty bites.

I don't know what I'd do without you.

She looked up and smiled a little lopsidedly. "It's more what I'm worried what you'd forget to do," she teased gently.

But there was still something wrong. He didn't meet her eyes; he just smiled and looked away. Hoshi tilted her head to the side trying to read his expression, his body language. Setting down her utensils, she folded her hands in her lap and looked at him curiously.

"Jin Ho," she said, trying to keep the concern in her voice minimal. She didn't want to upset him or make him withdraw further. "Is there something you're not telling me?" There was just something off, something not-quite-right. He called her, and came over without even showering. It sounded urgent, but now he was just... eating dinner, like there was nothing wrong, except there was something and they both knew it. What was he not telling her?

She tilted he head again, this time trying to get him to look at her. "Did something happen at work?" She paused. "Or... or with Mizu? Are you and Mizu doing okay?" Even if she didn't particularly care for the waterbender — not that she disliked him, per se, but they definitely didn't click well — she still hoped their relationship would succeed. Even if it meant she had to move aside, as long as she could be there for Jin Ho in some way, she wanted the relationship to flourish.

Feeling like she may have been pushing the subject too far, she held up her hands. "I'm sorry. If you don't want to talk about it right now, I understand." She reached over to pat him on the arm. "But I'll be here whenever you feel like talking." Hoshi smiled tenderly.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 20, 2012 23:36:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 20, 2012 23:36:43 GMT -6

Thick black hair, heavy with damp, sat over his shoulder and pooled down in his lap. He was thankful for his thick jumper and socks, and for Hoshi and her warm, homey flat.

"Is there something you're not telling me?"

"Oh Hoshi, you worry too much." Jin Ho smiled at her again and looked back down at his food, by now almost gone. His stomach full, he focused on sipping his tea. Of course, Hoshi was perceptive. She knew him too well to let his mood go unnoticed, and she wasn't the type to let it go without a comment, either.

"Did something happen at work? .... Are you and Mizu doing okay?"

Jin Ho's head snapped up. "I — we —" Well, they were okay. They were better than okay if they were talking about the bedroom... really, the way that man could — Jin Ho shook his head. No time for that now. "We're fine," he said. "Mizu and I, I mean. We're fine. It's just..." he sighed. How could he say this to her? "I'm happy with Mizu," Jin Ho said, with some difficulty, "but there's... something else. Something I'd like to talk to you about." He held his cup tensely.

This can't go that bad. Hoshi is understanding. If you can't talk to her, you can't talk to go anyone. Jin Ho took a deep breath. "I, um. I'm happy, with Mizu. But — recently, I... I've been thinking. About you. And... and..." he glanced up at her, green eyes serious and dark. "Do you think it's possible to be in love with more than one person?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 25, 2012 5:03:27 GMT -6

But — recently, I... I've been thinking. About you. And... and.. Do you think it's possible to be in love with more than one person?

Her heart thudded in her chest, then did a funny thing where it sank in her stomach then lept into her throat. She blinked, noticing that her mouth had become dry. She took a sip of tea, her hands shaking a little as she picked up her cup.

What did she have to do with anything? Surely, Jin Ho wasn't suggesting that... no, that couldn't be it. The two of them crossed this bridge a long time ago. She was just getting her hopes up, that was all! There were plenty of other explanations as to why he'd say he'd been thinking about her and asking about loving more than one person. Maybe... maybe he thought that she wasn't moving on, or something! Maybe, maybe it was his way of saying it was okay to move on and still love him.

She had moved on though.

... Hadn't she?

Taking a deep breath, Hoshi put down her tea, folding her hands in her lap to keep them still.

"I... I don't know," she replied honestly. She felt a little anxious, like there would be a right answer and a wrong answer, and she felt like she needed to make the right one. This was obviously a very important question to Jin Ho. Why else would he pretend that there was nothing wrong, or come over without taking care of himself first? She fiddled with the tip of her index finger.

If Jin Ho was talking about her loving him and finding someone to marry, then she wasn't so sure. Could she do it? She hadn't met anyone who could compare to him. But... maybe there was someone. Republic City wasn't the only place in the world, after all. Plus it got a lot of immigrants. Maybe ... maybe she could.

But do you want to? asked an annoying little voice in her head. She shooed the thought away. She should, really. It would probably make Jin Ho stop worrying about her, and make Umma happy.

"Maybe... maybe not impossible." It was a bit of a backhanded answer. The thought of loving more than one person never really crossed her mind before he asked. Sure, there was familial love — mothers, fathers, siblings, aunts and uncles. There was always room for another addition to the family.

But that's not the type of love Jin Ho was talking about. He had said 'to be IN love'. That was another pot of rice all together.

Hoshi bit her lip a little, thinking about it. "Maybe not impossible," she repeated, smiling at Jin Ho a little. "Maybe some people can have more love to give."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Nov 25, 2012 5:06:29 GMT -6
Anonymous
Nov 27, 2012 16:43:29 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 27, 2012 16:43:29 GMT -6

Maybe not impossible. That wasn't a very encouraging answer.

She didn't get it. Jin Ho laughed a little to dismiss his disappointment and looked back down into his bowl of food. How could he explain himself when even Hoshi, who always seemed to understand him, wasn't hearing the message? He swallowed quickly and moved some of his food about in the bowl.

"Maybe some people can have more love to give."

"Yeah," he murmured softly, not looking back up. Maybe that was it. He was ridiculous — of course it wasn't all right for a person to be in love with two people at once. He shouldn't have even bothered asking. The policeman knew what he ought to do: pretend everything was fine, dismiss his oddness as exhaustion, and beg to sleep it off. She'd let him, he knew that much. And he also knew he did look a little worse for the wear. Say something to make it less awkward, he admonished himself. Anything would do, really.

He gave a nervous laugh and then drank some tea. "Sorry," Jin Ho said, after another moment passed. "I don't know what's wrong with me. Forget I said anything, it was — it was stupid." He smiled a little. "I'm just a bit overworked, that's all." He'd be better after some sleep. Rubbing the back of his neck, he sighed. Hopefully Hoshi would just forget it. She'd probably think he was going a bit mad if he said anything else, and he didn't want to worry her.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 2, 2012 19:16:58 GMT -6

It wasn't the right answer. She knew by the way he didn't look at her, by the way he smiled just a little bit, the way the silence fell and stretched awkwardly — awkwardly! — after she replied. She couldn't remember a time when things had been awkward between them, not even after they had stopped seeing each other. Sure, she had needed time to grieve and heal, but that was normal. It hadn't been awkward. Things were never awkward.

Until now.

Sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me. Forget I said anything, it was — it was stupid. I'm just a bit overworked, that's all.

"Overworked," she repeated, nodding. She sipped at her tea as well, moving her food around her plate without finishing it. Pulling herself together and smiling as brightly as she could — though, for once it felt so forced — she picked up the dinner dishes and headed to the kitchen. "You must be very tired, no?" She gestured to the hallway. "Why don't you go lie down in the bed, I'll clean up here." Hoshi busied herself in the kitchen, running the water and getting it nice and hot.

"I'll keep the kettle ready, as well, just in case you wake up." She didn't have to say what for. Turning around, Hoshi's expression grew tender. "I'll be right here while you sleep. The bedroom's not too far so I'll be there if you need me."

Hoshi turned her attention back to the dishes, wrapping up her leftovers in a metal container. She felt troubled, confused. Why hadn't it been the right answer? What had he expected? What was he talking about, if not for her finding someone like he had found Mizu? Even though he had chalked it up to fatigue, she had a hard time accepting it. It was more than fatigue that brought him over to her house; it was more than fatigue that made him call her. So it meant that he was lying to her, right? Lying — about what?

It was a painful thought. She answered wrong, and now Jin Ho felt that he couldn't share whatever was troubling him. Her hands felt too big and too clumsy for the dishes, and Hoshi was glad the running water covered the sound of her sniffling. She needed to figure out what was troubling him, why her answer had been wrong.

But not tonight, she told herself firmly. Jin Ho needed his sleep, needed to get his rest. Whatever was troubling him could wait until he had a good, long sleep.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Feb 19, 2013 17:59:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 19, 2013 17:59:18 GMT -6

Jin Ho sighed a little, pushing his own food around.

"Why don't you go lie down in the bed, I'll clean up here."

Looking up, Jin Ho raised an eyebrow. He was making her that uncomfortable? He didn't want to go lay down by himself. That was more than half the problem. He needed her. Why would she offer for him to go to sleep? It never worked out that easily. Instead, the young man sat himself on her sofa and slowly worked on combing through his hair, remaining silent. He waited for Hoshi to come and sit next to him, smelling like soap and lavender, before flopping down and placing his head in her lap, face pressed up against her belly. Letting out a long breath, Jin Ho closed his eyes.

He could stay that way, right? Just for a little while? He could pretend that she hadn't answered incorrectly, that she understood him. He could pretend everything was okay. He could try to ignore Amon and the new police chief and the ever-changing world outside. Eventually, lulled by the scent of her and the sound of her breathing, Jin Ho fell asleep, hands clutched in Hoshi's dress.

The policeman slept deeply for the first time in a week.

——————————

It only took a few days for the inevitable to take place: Mizu broke up with him. Citing the fact that they never saw each other and Jin Ho's devotion to his work, Mizu suggested they not see each other any more and, exhausted, Jin Ho agreed. He numbly collected the few things he'd kept in the Waterbender's flat and took them home to his own, leaving Mizu's things in a box in the back of the restaurant for him to find later. He wasn't sure how he was feeling about all of it. Instead of thinking about it, the young man decided to throw himself into work.

He patrolled with a new vigor that evening, determined not to think about his life in general and how very disappointed he was with it. The regular citizens who saw him along his route seemed to sense that he was upset, and everyone gave him a wide berth. Jin Ho pulled several extra hours before going home to his empty apartment, curling up around a pillow and hoping for sleep. It didn't come. Finally, at two in the morning, he gave up and went to his phone, calling for Hoshi with a sinking feeling in his stomach.

She hadn't liked Mizu to begin with, so Spirits only knew what she would say when he told her they'd broken up. Obviously it was his fault — he had been too busy for the other man, and possibly not good enough at pleasing him — but he didn't need to hear it from her. Maybe she'd let him just come over and sleep. He waited until she finally picked up, sounding quite sleepy and cross.

"Hey Hoshi," he said, trying to keep his voice light. "It — It's me, Jin Ho. Do you mind if I come over?"
Last edit by Deleted: Feb 20, 2013 9:31:21 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Feb 20, 2013 2:25:46 GMT -6

They never wound up talking about it after, she realised. She had awoken in the middle of the night to hear him crying out from the living room. Instantly roused out of sleep, she ran to him, calling his name, grabbing his hand and trying to wake him from his dream. He jerked out of sleep, his eyes wide and disoriented. She shushed him, her heart aching, as he came to full consciousness; she could see the beads of sweat on his forehead, and once she was sure he knew where he was and that it had been a dream, she got a towel to mop his brow then stepped into the kitchen to boil water and make tea. She had stayed up with him in the living room, holding his hand and stroking his hair until he fell back into an uneasy sleep.

Hoshi tried to stay awake, to keep an eye on things but eventually sleep claimed her too. When she woke, she had somehow wound up back in bed. Her neck felt a little stiff from sleeping upright, but Jin Ho had thoughtfully carried her to bed. She sat up and found a note on her night stand, written in Jin Ho's tight, controlled handwriting, saying that he had an early shift. It was signed, as always, Your Jin Ho. The woman smiled a little, tucking the note into a striped hatbox full of things she received from or associated with Jin Ho.

It was days before she heard from him again. She was agitated, confused, until her mother told her sternly to go work her rear end off at the shop. It was a welcome distraction, and she had even made a new friend because of it! In the back of her mind though, Jin Ho and his strange behaviour were looming, compounded by her worries for his safety in the line of duty.

The day he finally called was a day like any other. She had gone to work, worked hard, and tried to keep her mind occupied with serving tea and thinking up of discussions and music and activities she and her new friend could do. She even took over her mother's shift, determined to keep just as busy in the shop as Jin Ho was in the streets. Or wherever he was. She always imagined streets though.

It was late by the time she got home. She had spent after-hours prepping the store for the next morning, making the different batters for the cakes and pastries umma would cook before opening the shop. She had given the place a good scrubbing from floor to ceiling, and had sat the phonograph on the counter next to a thin, glass vase with three sprigs of baby's breath in some water. She wanted to bring music back to the shop, for everyone, not just snooty customers with too many yuans and not enough sense.

She didn't even bother cooking dinner or making a cup of tea when she came home; she was dead on her feet. Instead, she brushed her teeth, set her hair in curlers, changed into her shift, and climbed into bed.

No sooner, it seemed, than she had fallen asleep — though she had been asleep for a couple of hours — did the phone ring, startling her out of a dreamless slumber. Grumbling to herself, shoved her feet into her house slippers and ambled to the phone. "I'm coming, I'm coming." Picking up the receiver with her eyes still half-shut, she answered.

"Yes, hello?" she demanded, stifling a yawn.

Hey Hoshi. It — It's me, Jin Ho. Do you mind if I come over?

"Jin Ho! Hello!" Hoshi hastily rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, forcing them wide open. "Sorry, sorry, I didn't mean to be quite so rude. Of — of course you can come over!" Her hand flew up to her curlers. "Yes, come over right away if you'd like. I'll put the kettle on."

They exchanged goodbyes and Hoshi set about as if wings had sprouted on her ankles. First, the pot. She filled it from the tap with impatience, tapping her foot as she waited for the water to fill to an acceptable level. She slammed it down on the stove, turning on the burner and then speeding off to the bathroom, where she hastily removed all of her curlers and fluffed out her hair. Her stomach did strange flip-flops as she lined her eyes with black and pinched her cheeks in lieu of wearing rouge. Biting her lips a little, she hid her plain cotton shift under a fluffy golden-brown robe.

Satisfied that she looked decent, despite being woken up suddenly, Hoshi sat on the couch and absently thumbed through a magazine, not paying a bit of attention to it, waiting for the familiar rap upon her door. When it came, a good ten, fifteen minutes later, the tea was ready and had just been poured. It was a light, somewhat citrus-y tea, just strong enough to be sipped with ease in polite conversation without being overwhelmingly relaxing.

Taking a moment to compose herself, Hoshi opened the door to let Jin Ho in. "Good evening, sweetheart." Her tongue fumbled over the words. He looked — in absolutely no offence meant — horrible. He looked thinner, like he had lost weight, his cheeks a bit gaunt from when she saw him last. There were dark circles under his eyes, and his normally well-kept appearance seemed dishevelled. He hadn't even shaved in at least a few days, she saw. Her hands flew to her cheeks in dismay as she took in his appearance, green sweater, brown trousers, and all. "Oh, honey," she breathed, taking him by the hand and pulling him into a hug before leading him inside.

"Sit, sit!" she encouraged, doing the same herself. The tea was already on the table. "Darling, you look a mess!" she exclaimed softly, her voice full of concern. She put a hand on his knee. "Have the nightmares been getting worse?" She couldn't think of another reason he'd be calling without warning in the middle of the night.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Feb 20, 2013 22:32:40 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 20, 2013 22:32:40 GMT -6

The metalbending police officer knew he looked like hell lately — he had a face full of shadow and he needed to eat more — but Hoshi's shocked face somehow made him feel worse about it all. He needed a trip to a hot springs or something, truly. A day full of relaxation and food and sleep, that's what he needed. Not that he'd be seeing anything of the like any time soon! Not a chance.

Is it the nightmares she asked, and he had to laugh a little. Oh, sure. The nightmares. They were always there. Shouldn't he be used to those by now? One would think he'd at least dream about the Equalists these days, but no. It was the wreck. It was always, always the wreck. Amon didn't even seem terrifying in the face of a Satomobile to Park Jin Ho.

"Sure," said Jin Ho, "there's that. And, you know, the very overwhelming threat to the city, my boyfriend breaking up with me, and extra shifts at work. There's all that, too." He let her lead him into the apartment and sit him down at the table. The tea was hot in the cup in his hands, warming the muscles. He held on to it with both hands, breathing in the smell of it. "I haven't been sleeping," he said in a voice meant to be light. "As I'm sure you can tell."

He paused. "You look pretty," he said. "Did you put on eyeliner because I was coming over?" Normally he wouldn't have noticed, but he had been thinking quite a lot about Hoshi lately... Hoshi and their strange relationship. Now that Mizu was entirely out of the picture, Jin Ho had to ask himself if he shouldn't just suggest that they get married. It would make both their parents extremely happy. It had been the plan ever since they were born! But, he'd thought of that scenario before... and how could he doom Hoshi to a sexless marriage? While Jin Ho knew he'd be able to procreate with her due to his desire for children, he also knew that due to his sexual orientation, he wasn't going to want to be physical once those children were achieved. Who in their right mind would agree to something like that? Who would marry a man that needed to step outside of their marriage to fulfill his physical needs?

The policeman sighed and sipped from his tea. "Mizu said I'm too devoted to work," he told Hoshi, knowing that she was wondering, "and that we never see each other so we might as well not be dating anyway. But I'm sure it's more like I wasn't..." how to be tactful? "... pleasing enough, maybe. I don't know." It was true that Jin Ho had no idea what he was doing when it came to the other man. He had no experience! But he'd thought that things would go, well, better. Given Mizu's history with having multiple partners and everything, though, he should have known the man wasn't interested in a long-haul relationship. Too bad that Jin Ho was a very long-haul guy.

Clearing his throat, he tried to relax his muscles. "How's the shop?"
Last edit by Deleted: Feb 20, 2013 22:38:23 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Feb 23, 2013 6:40:49 GMT -6

The sarcasm stung, but Hoshi bit her lip against a rebuttal. He changed the topic when they sat, saying she looked pretty and asking if she'd put eyeliner on because he was coming to visit. The woman said nothing, but her blush said it all. She was about to change the topic back to Mizu when Jin Ho did it for her.

Mizu said I'm too devoted to work and that we never see each other so we might as well be not dating anyway. But I'm sure it's more like I wasn't... pleasing enough, maybe. I don't know.

The pink on her cheeks spread and deepened into a crimson flush of anger. Her green eyes flashed as she all but spat out his ex's name. "Mizu," Hoshi said, her voice quiet but as hard as diamonds, "wouldn't know a good thing to happen to him if it bit him in the ass." To say that she was 'angry' would be an understatement. "I doubt, sweetheart, that it was your ... prowess that left him dissatisfied." She waved her hands. "It is no secret that Mizu and I did not get along, but for your sake I hoped he would prove against my worries and doubts. I fear that he is too much like water, like his name. He revels in change, swift and constant, rather than the steadfastness of earth." She reached over to grasp Jin Ho's hands in hers, the anger in her gaze melting away into concern for the most important man in her life. "I will speak no more ill of him," she said softly, "or of him at all, unless you want me to."

Hoshi lowered her eyes, embarrassed by her outburst, embarrassed at showing such an ugly side of herself to Jin Ho. But really, that Mizu! To toy with Jin Ho's heart like a puppet on strings. Jin Ho was a police officer, and the city was in turmoil, froth with danger, and all Mizu could think about was what he needed? How utterly and completely selfish. Mizu benefited from Jin Ho's long work hours as well, did he not even realise that he owed his safety to Jin Ho and the other officers? As a bender, he had so much to lose should the police fail.

Perhaps she had been silent for too long, for Jin Ho asked after the shop, his voice still strained though it was clear he tried to relax. Hoshi offered a small smile. "I have kept busy," she said simply. "Sohee — the girl I hired — offers a great help when she is not busy with her studies. With her help, Umma can take more time to care for herself. Of course," she added with a small laugh, "Umma complains that she has too little to do in her 'old age'." She gestured in the air to denote punctuation.

"I teach Sohee some bending forms, sometimes," she added with a small hint of pride. Jin Ho's father had taught the both of them. "She is not a bender, but she is eager to learn nonetheless. They're just forms, so we do it here in the flat." She gestured to the living room. "We pile up the furniture on one side so there is enough space to practice. She is a good girl, so very bright."

Taking a sip of her tea, Hoshi continued. "I've brought out the phonograph again," she added, hoping Jin Ho remembered the time when her father tried to serve a more 'classy' tea ceremony to wealthy citizens. "A little bit of light jazz, just to liven the mood of the shop." Another small smile came to her lips. "I had a customer come in, recently, a young healer named Shtiya. He's smaller than me!" Hoshi laughed a bit more. "I never thought I'd see a man I could look straight in the eye without tilting my head up."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Feb 23, 2013 6:43:51 GMT -6
Anonymous
Feb 26, 2013 0:22:15 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 26, 2013 0:22:15 GMT -6

"I will speak no more ill of him," she said softly, "or of him at all, unless you want me to."

"Good," said Jin Ho, swiftly, not keen to hear her speak ill of Mizu despite the fact that their relationship was over. To be honest, he wasn't even all that sad about it. It felt like it was just something that had happened to him and it was over and that was all. He had liked Mizu a lot, but it was clear they weren't meant to be together. Jin Ho needed to be with someone he could settle down with, have a family with... someone to make a home with.

"I teach Sohee some bending forms, sometimes. She is not a bender, but she is eager to learn nonetheless. They're just forms, so we do it here in the flat."

That seemed odd. Why would a non-Bender be interested in forms? Jin Ho wasn't sure he understood, but if Hoshi was enjoying teaching then he saw at least one benefit from it. He was glad that Hoshi had hired a helper. He personally felt that Mrs. Jeon, despite her spry and active ways, deserved a bit of a break — and Hoshi deserved to have some help, as well. The Lotus Cafe wouldn't run itself and it was a lovely place, but they'd needed to hire a worker for a while. It was a welcome change.

When Hoshi mentioned that she'd brought the phonograph out again, Jin Ho smiled. "Really? That's great!" He had missed the warm sounds of music floating around the cafe. It was good timing, too, to try and put something happy or soothing into the atmosphere. Jin Ho knew that times were tense for everyone.

"I had a customer come in, recently, a young healer named Shtiya. He's smaller than me!"

As Hoshi told him about meeting a young man who was just her size, an ugly emotion uncurled in Jin Ho's belly. What was this feeling? She laughed and smiled when talking about the young man, and he could tell she'd had a nice time with him. She deserved a nice time. Hoshi deserved the best things in life. "Is that so?"

"I never thought I'd see a man I could look straight in the eye without tilting my head up."

Jealousy. That's definitely what it was. Jin Ho smiled. "Oh?" he asked lightly, trying not to sound like he cared too much. He did, however, care quite a bit. "What's his name?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Feb 28, 2013 2:37:09 GMT -6

Hoshi missed the sudden hint of strain in Jin Ho's voice, too happy to talk about her new friend. She repeated the name for Jin Ho. "Shtiya," she said again, smiling, her eyes crinkling in the corners. "He's such a dear, you know. He came in dripping wet to the shop, he looked like such a sad, drowned little mouse. I couldn't help but mother him a bit." She laughed. "He was very polite too, though I think he was scared to let me know he was a waterbender. We were strangers after all, and these days you can't be too careful..."

She trailed off, the unpleasantness of remembering Amon and his cohorts dampening the mood. What kind of world were they living in, where you couldn't tell people you were a bender? It was like trying to hide you had toes on your feet, or something equally silly.

She shook her head clear. No, she wouldn't let the mood darken. Jin Ho knew better than pretty much anyone else in the City the affects Amon and his Equalists were having.

"After that was out of the way, though, he relaxed quite a bit! We talked about ourselves, and listened to some music. That's why I brought the phonograph out again, at first. Something to play in the background while we talked. Did you know he's here on his own?" Hoshi left out the part about him not getting along with his family. It was something she didn't understand, at all, and she figured she'd do it some injustice if she tried to tell a story that wasn't hers to tell. "He came to the City from the North Pole so he could practice medicine. Isn't that admirable?"

Hoshi took another drink of tea and continued, a sly note to her voice. "Maybe you should meet him," she suggested. Objectively, Shtiya was a cutie, his delicate features and slight frame feminine and pleasing. He was a waterbender, yes, but one that — in Hoshi's opinion — had a much more solid head on his shoulders than That Mizu. It took hard work and dedication to be a healer, especially so far from home and away from family and friends in a strange, bustling city, and Shtiya clearly was a responsible young man. If his reaction to that handsome young man outside the shop window was any indication, Jin Ho would be right up his alley, as the saying went. And Jin Ho deserved to be happy, now, of all times, and especially considering That Mizu and his selfishness.

"He's a bit young," Hoshi continued. "I think... maybe early twenties? I'm not too sure." Age wasn't something she brought up with people, usually. She didn't like being asked or giving out her age; no one believed her anyway. There was something about her that made people think she was younger than she really was.

She patted Jin Ho's knee, smiling again. "I think you'd like him, sweetheart."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Feb 28, 2013 23:37:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 28, 2013 23:37:28 GMT -6

Jin Ho gritted his teeth as she said the man was 'such a dear'. And a Waterbender, too? His mind briefly wondered if this... Shtiya... was as good-looking as Mizu, but he immediately refocused as Hoshi continued to talk about him. She'd obviously spent the whole afternoon with the man! Under what circumstances?

"Did you know he's on his own? He came to the City from the North Pole so he could practice medicine. Isn't that admirable?"

"Sure," said Jin Ho, "that's great. He sounds like an amazing person." The policeman frowned. Hoshi was certainly quite taken with this young man, wasn't she? He could scarcely believe how possessive he felt about her at that moment. Who was this guy? Did he have cause to worry? She continued on, suggesting that he meet the man and telling him that he was probably in his early twenties. Well, that wasn't that young. They were both in their twenties, after all! Why did she want him to meet him?

Jin Ho set his cup down, rubbing at his face. He was so, so tired. All he wanted to do was curl up in Hoshi's bed with his arms around her and go to sleep. Somehow at her house it was easier to achieve that beloved deep and dreamless sleep that eluded him so often. She was a panacea for his emotions, a perfect antidote to the nightmares most of the time, much as Sweeper had been.

He didn't want to talk about her new friend any more. "Hoshi," he said, closing his eyes. "Can I sleep with you tonight?" Jin Ho leaned over the table, head in his hands. "I'm sorry, I just feel like I haven't slept in months," he confessed. "I've even been drinking coffee at work lately. It's just so... stressful, and everything's off kilter since Bei Fong..." well, she knew. Rubbing his face again, the young man sighed. He needed to shave and take a shower and wash his blasted hair. But all he wanted to do was hold her and go to sleep. It wasn't fair to ask to take up her bed, but he couldn't help himself. He just... needed to. "... Please?"
Last edit by Deleted: Mar 1, 2013 0:02:31 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Mar 1, 2013 0:38:05 GMT -6

The happiness on her face changed to concern when Jin Ho set his cup down and rubbed his face. She could've kicked herself — here she was, prattling on about a new friend when Jin Ho was so worn out. She set her cup down too, and started to get up make sure the tea blend for Jin Ho's nightmares was readily accessible during the night.

Can I sleep with you tonight? I'm sorry, I just feel like I haven't slept in months. I've even been drinking coffee at work lately. It's just so...stressful, and everything's off kilter since Bei Fong...

Jin Ho trailed off. Hoshi opened her mouth to reply, but he spoke again.

... Please?

It was one word, but it twisted and tugged at her until she thought she couldn't breathe. She blinked, then picked up the cups from the table to buy herself a moment to think. She and Jin Ho hadn't shared a bed since that awful dating incident of hers a few months ago. She half-wondered if it was even appropriate, given her feelings for him. Heading to the kitchen, Hoshi kept her voice as light as possible.

"Why don't you just take the bed, sweetheart, and I'll take the couch?" She made sure to busy herself with the dishes and preparing middle-of-the-night tea things and avoided his eyes. "The bed isn't that big and you definitely look like you could use a good rest. I'll just be right outside over here and I'll help you if you have a nightmare tonight, of course." Hoshi finally looked up and smiled a little, tilting her head. "I can give you a back rub until you fall asleep, if you'd like."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Mar 1, 2013 0:42:53 GMT -6
Anonymous
Mar 1, 2013 13:25:45 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Mar 1, 2013 13:25:45 GMT -6

She didn't say anything and Jin Ho cringed a little. He shouldn't have asked. Really, he was so tired he knew that he wasn't being himself — it wasn't right. But he couldn't help it. Hoshi took the cups away and he closed his eyes again, leaning into his hands.

"Why don't you just take the bed, sweetheart, and I'll take the couch?"

"No!" It came out before he thought about it, more forceful than he realized. He didn't want to just take the bed. The bed wasn't the cure. She was. He needed her. Hoshi rambled on something about how the bed wasn't that big and how she could help with his nightmares if she was just outside and... Jin Ho shook his head. "Forget it, it's okay, I'll — I'll go home," he said, trying to get ahold of himself. He wanted to beg her, but even in his sleep-deprived state he knew that that would be going too far. "I'm sure it'll be okay." What was one more nightmare after hundreds?

It was rude to take up any more of her time at this outrageous hour. The policeman got up, watching Hoshi wash her dishes for a moment. "I'm sorry to have taken up your time," Jin Ho said. "You should go to bed. I'll go home." Jin Ho ran a hand over his uncharacteristically messy hair and found his jacket, putting it back on. He headed for her door, rolling sore shoulders a little. It wasn't that far to his place. Maybe he was finally exhausted enough that he would sleep. As he opened the door, Jin Ho looked back over his shoulder and smiled. " I didn't really need your bed, I needed you." He paused. "Thanks for always being there for me, Hoshi. I'm sure the tea will help."
Last edit by Deleted: Mar 1, 2013 17:38:26 GMT -6