The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Love is in the Air Acolyte [tag: Kami]

Anonymous
May 31, 2012 22:57:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 31, 2012 22:57:57 GMT -6

Hangetsu pulled out the "Do" and "Do Not" list from the inner pocket of his black jacket his sister had thoughtfully prepared for him and relentlessly drilled him on.
Do not wear that white suit. If you spill something on it you're screwed.
Do pull her chair out for her.
Do not talk about work. Your job is boring.
Do ask her about HER work.

The nervous cop's sweating hands smudged the rest of the rest of the tips. Knowing his sister and her perverse sense of humor the last few were more than a little smutty. The smudged ink traveled from the note card to his palms and finally to his forehead as he wiped his sweating brow. A passing waiter was kind enough to tell him of the final resting place of the ink on Izumi Tsukishima's lewd list.

Vigorous, almost skin breaking, scrubbing ensued and led to Hangetsu closely examining his face for other imperfections...imperfections not due to unfortunate genetics. It took a while to look past his regular insecurities to find new ones but there it was. A tiny patch of stubble just below his chin.
As much as he tried to think of a place where he could find something sharp enough to shave off the offending follicles all he could do was swear repeatedly in the confines of his own head.

The awkwardly smiling police officer stared into the mirror once more to practice.
"Yes, I missed a spot shaving. No, I don't have any brain damage. Yes, I will never bother you again. Sorry to have wasted your time."
For Hangetsu there was only one option left and it was one he despised when used by other people. Frivolous prayer.

Using a pen from the inner pocket of his black jacket Hangestu wrote his prayer on the ink smudged bit of paper that had caused this calamity. He then spoke the words out loud.
"Please, God of romance...let her change her mind, find a better looking guy...anything. Just get me out of this."
The cheap brushed metal lighter used in this ritual set fire to the paper containing his prayer and sending it on plumes of smoke to the spirit world where he hoped it would be answered post haste.

It didn't help his nerves leaving the bathroom only to pass a man with a distinct "What is that awful burning smell?" look about him. The fidgeting metal bender almost asked the man if the matching cuff links and tie pin in the image of the Air Nomad's symbol was too much.

In order to keep his hands busy and not checking his pocket watch every few seconds Hangetsu used his metal bending skills to fold a thin piece of metal into a crane over and over, grinding his teeth in sheer panic as he did so.
In two minutes was the eight o'clock deadline and an hour after that Hangetsu would consider himself officially stood up and drown his sorrows as well, as express his relief, with cactus juice slammers at the bar in Lemurland while listening to severely depressing jazz songs.
This user is a former member
Last edit: Jun 1, 2012 0:07:25 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 1, 2012 0:01:06 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
"Excuse me... sorry... oh, I'm terribly sorry...." With ink-stained fingers and a pen tucked behind her ear, Ren gingerly navigated through the Republic City, clutching her gold and scarlet robes about her. For once, she didn't mind being stared at: her attire screamed "AIR ACOLYTE!" and she knew it was rare to see one outside of Air Temple Island. She had been given leave for a once-a-month excursion, and now the grey-haired woman scrambled to make up for her inability to keep track of time.

Arriving at the restaurant somewhat breathlessly, Ren paused to look at her reflection in the mirror. Her glasses had slid down her nose again, and she noticed belatedly the pen tucked by her ear. Her braid was in more disarray than usual, but there was no time to attempt to fix it. Looking immensely ruffled, she stepped inside the establishment. What am I doing here? she wondered, her grey-brown eyes scanning the patrons for her date. Date. She rolled the word around in her head, finding it strange, yet a little exhilarating. Of course, she would have to tell him she wasn't... exactly interested in men, eventually. And the other thing was bound to pop up eventually, too.

There was no point in lying to herself: she was damn scared. Everyone at Air Temple Island had known, especially when she was required (unfortunately) to go in one line versus another for their medical check ups. But no one cared. They understood, as she had hoped they would, the discord between her true self, and the outward appearance. She hoped this Hangetsu would understand. If not... well, that would certainly teach her to try and meet people off the Island.

Finally, she noticed him. He was folding a paper crane — Silver paper? she wondered absently — over and over and over again. She fumbled for her pocket watch, and noticed with much embarrassment she had only thirty seconds to spare. Waving off the maitre d', the tall, lanky woman made her way to him.

"I am so sorry," she said by way of greeting, her voice husky and melodious like wood-smoke and honey. "I was transcribing some lessons today and lost track of time." She smiled, sheepishly and apologetic. "I hope I did not offend you."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 1, 2012 1:41:46 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 1, 2012 1:41:46 GMT -6

When Ren entered the restaurant Hangetsu forgot how to breathe. The fact that she wore the same clothes as he asked her out in had to mean something. Was she not interested? Was she just casual? Was it an Air Acolyte thing?
He decided to assume it was the last. Now his matching tie pin and cuff links of the air nomad symbol made him feel self-conscious. He felt like a poser saying "I like your jewelry but don't care for your culture."
The cuff links could be hidden easily but the tie pin would be something easy to notice.

Swiftly standing up to greet his date Hangetsu's thighs slammed into the bottom of the table causing some muffled swearing. He assumed it would not be the last time he'd do that during the course of this date.
"No, no it's fine. I just got here a minute ago myself. I work around cops and criminals. So it takes quite a bit to offend me."

The short cop slid out the chair of the much taller woman did his best not to make two crucial errors. Sniffing her hair and pushing her too far into the table.
Some solace was taken in that at least he pushed her in right.

A nicely dressed young waiter joined them and asked about drinks.
"Cactus slammer." Hangetsu paused. Did Air Acolytes drink?
"Do Air Acolytes drink? Alcohol, I mean. I'm sure you drink other stuff but is alcohol okay? I can change my drink order if you want."
After Ren placed her drink order and the waiter stated that he would return for their food orders Hangetsu had questions about their diet.
He decided to have them answered at once.
"Tell me what it's like being an acolyte. Why did you join?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 1, 2012 10:02:23 GMT -6

She had to smile at his nervousness. It was rare to find someone more nervous than she, which, truthfully, put her a little more at ease. Ren waved her hand. "The subject of alcohol doesn't come up much," she admitted. "I don't think it's prohibited per se, but I don't think it's used beyond special occasions or rituals." She glanced around. No one was really looking at them. Good. Smiling up at the waiter, Ren asked for a glass of wine. "Just one," the woman specified. "A red wine, please. Doesn't have to be your best, but not terrible either." She would really have to watch her budget here. Most of her money was left over from home, and it wouldn't do to spend it all in one place.

After the waiter took his leave, Hangatsu jumped on the questions. Her smile froze, her heart hammering in her chest. After a split second, she chuckled weakly. "I... wow, uhm. That is a loaded question." She fiddled with the napkin on the table, running her fingers along the cloth edge. Ren slid her glasses back up, a futile attempt at getting them to stay. How would she answer? The 'why' was tied closely into that, and it seemed a bit soon to be announcing it. The woman decided to go for generalities. "Simply put, I needed a place to... well, to soothe my soul." She cringed, well aware of how horrible and cliche it sounded. "It's ... It's a long story." She smiled down at him; even sitting, she stood (sat?) at least an entire head taller. "Perhaps we can revisit that particular question later?"

She paused as the waiter return setting down their respective drinks and asking for their order. Glancing at their menu, Ren toyed with the idea of ordering a meat dish. Her responsible side won out for a change, and she ordered a simple noodle-and-vegetable dish. Handing him her menu, the waiter then turned to Hangetsu, who ordered.

Once he had left again, Ren continued. "Being an Acolyte is... satisfying. Safe. You know what to expect, usually, and when to expect it. You have a routine." She paused, sipping her wine. It wasn't bad. It wasn't great, either, though, so Ren guessed it was their most affordable not-watered down wine. The woman gestured with her glass carefully. "It's not dull. There are different families up there, single people, people who are dating. Our job is to learn and preserve the Air Nomad way of life." She held up her left hand, the fingers blotched with black ink. "I am a transcriber. I write down lessons in books so we can preserve them for future generations. I'm not the only one, I don't think. There is a lot to learn and record." She took another sip of wine, making a mental note to also ask for a glass of water.

"We do have mediation a couple times a day. The Nomads were --are--" she corrected herself, "--a very spiritual people, so meditation plays a big role in connecting with each other and the Spirit Wold. Not," Ren clarified, "that anyone really has. I think that's more of an Avatar thing, or a really special mortal." The legend of the Dragon of the West was commonplace knowledge, even so many years after his death.

Flagging down their waiter, Ren requested a glass of water, her hands fiddling nervously with the sleeve of her robe. The waiter was looking at her oddly, and she knew that look well. It was the same look people usually got when they were close enough to look at her — that Yes-or-No they played inside their heads, or with their friends. To his credit, the waiter didn't openly stare, just gave her a once over before nodding at her request. She sighed, slumping in her chair. Please don't let it happen, she prayed silently but fervently. With a small smile at Hangetsu, she turned the question around to him. "And what is it like policing this fair City?" she queried with interest.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 1, 2012 10:03:25 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 1, 2012 13:38:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 1, 2012 13:38:38 GMT -6

The drinks came and Hangetsu added another horrible date-ending mistake to his ever growing list of woman-banishing screw-ups. She ordered something classy and sophisticated and he ordered a drink of fermented cactus juice and soda popular with people looking for quick inebriation. He wanted badly to explain himself but couldn't summon anything beyond the fact that he just liked them and didn't care for wine.

Ren's timid response immediately made the nervous bender feel like an ass. Great detective work, idiot. Just offer her a way out and cut your losses.

"Simply put, I needed a place to... well, to soothe my soul.It's ... It's a long story. Perhaps we can revisit that particular question later?"
"Oh! Yeah, yeah...definitely. No problem." He wondered if he needed to further express that coming back to that topic would be no trouble just in case he didn't plainly state it before.
"When I want to soothe my soul I go shopping or write letters. These days it's more letter writing than shopping."

When Ren ordered a vegetable dish Hangetsu felt an icy grip on his very soul. Was she a vegetarian? Were all Air Acolytes? Would a meat dish earn him a lecture and a glass of wine to the face? No, he assured himself that wouldn't happen. He assumed that was what the water was for.
A startled squeak emerged when the waiter asked him for his order. To his surprise Ren had not yet made an excuse to leave.
"I'll have the same," the squeaking cop said in a meek voice that almost required subtitles. Usually his confidence with women wasn't that low but then usually he couldn't get so far into a first date. As he felt the waiter gently tug on his menu Hangetsu finally released it from his grip.

As Ren held up her ink-stained hand Hangetsu did the same with his hand unconsciously and pressed it against her's to compare the size and immediately went into a full body blush. He desperately wanted to go outside and punch himself in the face repeatedly. Yes, it was a large hand but that gave him no right to remind her of that. He reminded himself that it was a miracle enough that a woman of her stature was willing to be seen in public with a much shorter man.
"Ssssssssorry." That first "S" took it's sweet time exiting Hangetsu's mouth and he could feel every fraction of a second it took. He prepared himself for the date to end with a face full of water or wine.

It was no coincidence that Hangetsu remembered his drink after Ren asked about his job. He nervously placed the small piece of paper that came with his drink of over the mouth of his glass and banged it on the table. The contents threatened to fizz over and make a mess but were gulped down before that could happen.

"Actually, since I passed my metal bending test I haven't been on the street much. In fact, most people don't even consider me a cop anymore. I, uh, work in I.A. Uh, that's the Internal Affairs Division. I, um, investigate other cops. I police the police."
Once more Hangetsu expected a thrown drink and a swift exit. Who would date a man from the Rat Squad?
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 1, 2012 16:29:03 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 2, 2012 15:57:44 GMT -6

Ren flinched her hand back as skin touched skin, her fingers dwarfing Hangetsu's by a lot. The man flushed and reached for his drink, clearly embarrassed. She smiled a strained smile, reminding herself that he probably didn't mean anything by it, especially with that reaction. Even without that playing into it, she was just a tall person in general. Taller than the average woman for sure, and often taller than many men. Hangetsu seemed on the less-than-average side of height, and Ren was probably an anomaly in his daily routine.

In more ways that one, she joked blackly to herself.

Hangetsu told her that he worked for "Internal Affairs". A police of police. He seemed a bit mortified at the admittance. Ren scootched her glasses up again and looked at him curiously. "It seems like a noble position, and a difficult one," she told him kindly. "I can't imagine it gets too many favourable opinions outside of your department. But people have to be made accountable." She reached for her wine and took another sip. "Who watches the watchmen?" she murmured, unsure of where she had heard the phrase. It seemed fitting, though.

The waiter finally brought by her water, and Ren felt herself turn red as he stared, even more openly this time. He glanced back at some other waiters, then back at her. "Is... is there a problem?" she asked nervously, her fingers fiddling with the ends over her sleeves. The waiter shook his head, muttered something about their food being ready soon, and walked off. Hazel eyes watched keenly as he headed back to his co-workers, and they huddled together, whispering. Her cheeks felt very hot as she turned her attention back to Hangetsu and tried to smile.

"So... erm.... What made you decide to be a police officer?" Ren tried to keep her voice light, though there was a slight quaver of nerves in the normally pleasant husky voice.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 2, 2012 22:17:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 2, 2012 22:17:34 GMT -6

Hangetsu wished Ren would stop pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. It was unbearably cute. To cover his blushing the nervous Internal Affairs officer pushed his own glasses up with the heel of the palm of his right hand. To further cover the embarrassing red areas of his face he cast his look downwards.

When Ren used words like "noble" and "difficult" to describe his work Hangetsu resisted the urge to take her large hand and kiss it...then work his way up...then...
He abandoned that line of thought immediately with a couple of deep breaths. When he heard her mutter about watching the watchmen Hangestu was elated to have something to distract him.
"Well...I haven't actually arrested anyone yet or done much watching. It's more like I read files on the watchmen and the watchmen urinate under the crack of my office door." There was a tiny bit of self-deprecation in his chuckle but there was some amusement to be had at the juvenile antics of the police the general public did not see.

Then came the muttering and whispers from the corner.
For people in the service industry the waiters did a poor job keeping their whispering subtle.
When Ren asked if there was a problem Hangetsu's eyes narrowed and shifted toward the waiter. Things were awkward enough without people in the service industry whispering about the pretty tall lady with the short, green-eyed troll.
Ren looked embarrassed and Hangetsu's sense of chivalry was activated. After the two plates were placed on their table the metal bender looked up to his waiter while holding up a warped piece of metal.
"My napkin ring has contorted unexpectedly...can I have another?"
For the first time that evening Hangetsu Tsukishima was not the most nervous man in the restaurant.

Ren's question of what inspired him to become a police officer put Hangetsu at ease for the first time in hours.
"I was about eleven. My grandparents moved my sister and I to Republic City earlier that year. My grandfather took me to the park and like a dumb kid I started bending a pit to play kuai ball. Then wham!" Hangetsu slammed his fist into his palm with a huge smile. "There she was giving me a lecture on where not to bend. Lin Beifong. That was the moment the opposite sex stopped becoming icky and became something new entirely. She bended me into puberty."

Hangetsu couldn't help but laugh at his younger self as well as his current self. "Naturally, I assumed that if I became a cop I'd have a chance with this metal bending goddess. Because, you know, the Chief of Police falls for any young recruit with a crush. I learned to fight, my grandmother taught me to investigate and eventually a crush turned into a love affair with becoming a cop. I was so obsessed with training to become Mister Beifong that I sacrificed things like...well, dating. Now, here I am...living the dream."

More wine and another cactus slammer came, along with a fresh napkin ring and a more somber waiter. Ren seemed reticent about her motivation to join the Air Acolytes causing Hangetsu to change the subject to something a little safer.
"So, tell me about yourself. Any family? Have you gotten to ride a sky bison yet?"
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 3, 2012 10:08:50 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 3, 2012 13:33:08 GMT -6

Their food arrived, and Hangetsu made some soft remark about his napkin ring being contorted. If you could really call it "contorted", it looked more ... smashed, than anything. Ren blinked, and felt a little silly: of course he was a metalbender. He was part of the police force, he HAD to be! She could've smacked herself for not thinking about it. The waiter looked quite nervous, and it was clear Hangetsu had the upper hand. The prematurely grey-haired woman felt a blush creep up on her neck and onto her cheeks. Never before had anyone come to her defense.

But would he have, if he knew? whispered a dark, ugly voice inside her head.

Ren ignored it (for the most part), listening instead to Hangetsu's story about his crush on Chief Bei Fong. She giggled, not an unpleasant sound, at the thought of a younger Hangetsu scampering behind the Head of Police with a love-sick look. It reminded her of a story the veteran Acolytes told, about a certain Airbender and the Chief...

More wine was poured into her glass, and Ren looked up. The waiter was distinctly avoiding her eyes now, looking at her glass, at Hangetsu, here, there, everywhere but her. As much as she didn't like being treated as if she didn't exist, as something to be avoided, it was much more preferable than being the subject of stares and whispers. The acolyte didn't doubt, however, that the whispering would continue after they left — if not outright discussion. Oh well. It's not like she came out to this part of the City often anyway. And even if one of them mustered up the courage to ask at the Island, no one would give them the time of day. Not on the subject of her, anyway.

Ren was mid-way through her third bite (the food here was good, even if the servers were less than tactful) when Hangetsu asked about her. Choking a little, she washed her mouthful down with a bit of wine. Absentmindedly, she scrunched up her nose and wiggled her glasses back up her face. "Let's see... I have a mother and a father," the woman began. "We don't talk much, though." She smiled, a bit wistfully. "Not in a bad way or anything, we've just never really seen eye-to-eye on some matters. I am told I had a twin sister, though she passed on shortly after we were born." Ren tapped her nose in thought. "There are a few old photographs of us at birth — even I can't tell us apart!" She giggled. "Sometimes, I wonder what it would've been like, to have a sister."

She took another bite of noodle, savouring the rich flavour. Another sip of wine, and she was ready to continue. "The sky bison don't really allow just anyone to ride them, though they do love being brushed and spoiled." Ren grinned, putting down her chopsticks and gesturing with her hands. "The younger bison especially. They're a very trusting lot, and it's not uncommon for some of the younger calves to steal away something from whoever is nearby and fly away as a joke." She laughed outright, covering her mouth shyly with her hand. "I think they know that we can't airbend," she added, "because they always fly ju~u~u~ust out of reach. They do eventually come back, though. It's all fun and games." Ren smiled again, the corners of her eyes crinkling. "They are beautiful creatures."

Picking up her chopsticks again, she waved them playfully at Hangetsu. "Your turn again. What was it like, realising you could earthbend?" The woman was genuinely curious. She knew from her studies that everyone had 'chi', or vital energy within them; she knew that with benders, this energy allowed them to commune with their respective elements, while in non-benders it lay... not quite dormant but at the very least it wasn't noticeable unless pressure points were blocked. "Does it feel like anything?" Ren leaned in, her eyes bright with the prospect of new knowledge, a scholar through and through. "What does it feel like when you bend, when the earth responds?"

Without realising it, Ren's left hand flew up to the pen tucked behind her ear and brought it down to the table, poised as if to take notes.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 3, 2012 15:43:48 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 3, 2012 15:43:48 GMT -6

When Ren giggled Hangetsu's heart nearly stopped and almost started chuckling himself. It was a nice reaction compared to the typical "Really? Her?" that came with mentioning his first crush.

The nervous police officer kept his eyes locked on Ren's as she told her story and only cast them downward slightly when she mentioned losing a sister. He couldn't even choke out a word of sympathy before the pretty air acolyte giggled and proceeded to brighten the entire restaurant.
"Sometimes, I wonder what it would've been like, to have a sister."
Hangetsu barked out a short and far too loud laugh at Ren's musing.

"I'll give you mine if you want. She'd pick on me and dress me up like a girl and tell everyone within earshot about my crush." He smiled thinking about his big sister's bigger antics. "But as much of a pain as she is she always has my back...even when I don't want her to." He pulled the torn note card from his pocket missing the more risque instructions and handed it to Ren.
"Always looking out for her little brother."

Hearing of the young sky bisons teasing people caused an awkward, open-mouthed but silent smile as he closed his eyes. His chest heaved a few times with laughs that refused to leave in anything other than gasps.
"They're the big sisters of the animal world."

"What was it like, realising you could earthbend? Does it feel like anything?"
Hangetsu jokingly waved his own chopsticks at Ren while rolling his eyes at his date.
"Well okay then. If you're going to shove utensils in my face I'll talk."

Hangetsu's smile faded while he heaved a deep sigh as he tried to put into words something that he never could before. She might as well have asked 'When is purple?' or 'Why is lemur?'
His cheeks puffed out as he exhaled deeply.
"Okay...um lean forward and close your eyes. Uh, please. I'm not going to try to kiss you..." his mind trailed far off course until he shook his head. "Just please trust me."

The earth bender cupped his hands in front of his mouth and exhaled slowly then rubbed his hands together and placed his warm hands on Ren's cheeks, making sure her eyes were still closed behind her glasses.
"It's like this...only you feel it inside. Like there is, um, like a womb and in that womb instead of a baby is your spirit. You take this womb with you where ever you go. At the right time and in the right place you feel tiny, but not insignificant. Like you know that you are part of something massive. Every rock, every speck of dirt, all the metal the surrounds us...they create this huge, complex, beautiful world and you're just happy to be in it."

Hangetsu's hands dropped to the table and covered his face for a moment.
"I'm sorry. Please don't write that down. My sister is the word smith in the family. I just move rocks around...some of the time. Please forget what I said and tell me something else about yourself."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 5, 2012 18:46:50 GMT -6

Her smile was wistful as she skimmed Hangetsu's note. It was clear that, no matter how teasing or difficult his sister may be, she cared for him a lot. A small part of her wondered if things would have been easier had her twin survived — or if she would have been just like the others, and rejected her. Thinking it over, Ren decided that maybe it was better not knowing; at least, this way, she could imagine that they would have been the best of friends.

In response to her query, Hangetsu asked her to lean forward. With a curious look, she obliged, and he put his warm hands on her cheeks. She flinched, slightly, unused to human contact. Handshakes and Hangetsu's earlier faux pas aside, Ren couldn't remember the last time someone had touched her. His hands were warm, and she felt the warmth spread across her cheeks — though that might have been her blushing, who knew. He went on to explain how he carried around this feeling inside him, and the woman felt a small spark of good-natured envy. Inherently, then, all benders were connected to their element, and each other. Even if they didn't know someone was also a bender, they all carried around this feeling of connection, of unity — even when they were divided.

Hangetsu's hands dropped, and he hid his face. Ren's eyes fluttered open, and she let go of the breath she didn't even know she was holding. The man apologised, clearly embarrassed, once again belittling himself and his abilities. Her grey eyes were kind as she tucked the pen back behind her ear and reached over, placing her hand on top of his. "That was lovely," she said simply.

Ren pulled away, thinking about what else to say about herself. She took another bite of noodle, mulling it over. Hangetsu shared something fairly complex and intimate... but she still wasn't ready. Not yet. Not here. She still had no idea how he'd react. Even the nicest people had recoiled once they found out, looked on her with disgust and disapproval. Ren had never understood it — did the state of her body really change who she was as a person? Everyone seemed to like her until they found out.

No, she couldn't tell him.
....Yet.

"Let's see," she started, looking upward and nibbling on her lower lip in thought. "I don't think I have anything as wonderful to share as that. Though... " Ren looked at Hangetsu, and realised her glasses had slid again. Dratted things. Hangetsu's top half was a blur. She slid them back up and continued. "Have you ever ridden the train?" the young woman smiled, remembering. "I had to ride one to get here. It was a little scary, at first, but once it got going it was really pleasant."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 6, 2012 14:43:20 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 6, 2012 14:43:20 GMT -6

Hangetsu was a fast eater when he was nervous. Ren only exacerbated the problem by looking at him over her glasses and then pushing them up her face. Before he'd never given any thought to women who wear glasses one way or the other. That night he found that he was highly vulnerable to women pushing them up and looking at him over them. The push upward said "I am cutely awkward, please hold me" while the look over said "I am keenly aware of the power I have over you. Be glad I don't use it to destroy you."
Ren biting her lower lip said nothing, it just provoked a full body throbbing sensation.
By the time he got around to noticing she put her hand on his Ren had already taken it away.

"Have you ever ridden the train? I had to ride one to get here. It was a little scary, at first, but once it got going it was really pleasant."
The awestruck cop gaped at Ren and quickly excused himself to go the the bathroom trying not to look utterly terrified. When he looked into the bathroom mirror he saw the face of true horror.
He splashed water onto his face over and over. The last thing he expected from an air acolyte was sexual inuendo involving trains. He searched madly through his pockets for any note cards his sister may have given him. None. When he searched his wallet an old one from his academy days on yellowed paper made itself known.

Innuendo. How to spot it, how to use it.
1: Transportation=Sex.
Be honest but stay within the metaphor. Try not to reference your bad driving if you get my meaning. See what I did there? Don't mention crashing or stalling.

He didn't feel he needed to read beyond that.

Hangetsu returned to the table pale and shaking. His cleaned plate had been taken away and he had nothing to do with his mouth other than talk. Talk about trains. He wasn't good at talking about trains. Train talk was a deeply personal thing, not something to be brought up in restaurants.
He sat down with a heavy sigh and tried his best to look Ren in the eyes even with his own closed.
"I...I've, uh, never ridden a train before. It's just...uh, growing up I was so focused on training and I've always been shy...and..."
He opened his eyes and read Ren's look. It said a great deal.
"....You weren't being coy...you were actually asking about trains." He reached beneath his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "I thought...never mind. You don't want to know what I was thinking."

The blushing metal bender grabbed the nearest waiter and abruptly asked for two coffees and a dessert menu. He desperately needed something to fill his mouth to keep more stupidity from flowing out.

"Ah! Trains...um, I'm okay with trains. Nothing against them at all. " On the subject of transportation a relaxing thought occurred. "Unless I absolutely have to move a lot of people at once I avoid the train. I prefer to ride the wires."
He pointed to the wooden poles that connected the grid of wires. "With metal bending I can skate across that line at the speed of a satomobile. No crowds, no traffic, it's free and it's a lot of fun. Kind of scary, though, like you said about the train."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 7, 2012 17:12:39 GMT -6

Hangetsu's reaction to her question was entirely unexpected. He blanched, then blushed, his mouth hanging slightly open. Ren could only blink has he excused himself and hurried off in the direction of the bathroom. The waiter came by to clear off their plates, eyeing her again as he did. The woman averted her eyes, feeling her cheeks burn. What had she said to upset Hangetsu? Or... was the food to blame? Ren fidgeted in her seat as she waited for him to --hopefully-- return. The seconds ticked by slowly, and she became more and more anxious. Perhaps she should just pay her bill and go? The acolyte was just fumbling in her robe for her coin purse.

She looked up nervously, her hands clenching and unclenching her robe as her date — was he still her date?— sat back down, pale as a sheet. He sat back down, his eyes closed, and started talking about never riding trains, of being too busy, and... Ren smiled politely, her face an expression of absolute bewilderment. What was he talking about? Hangetsu finally opened his eyes and looked at her. Confusion must have been evident, as he rubbed his eyes and muttered something about a misunderstanding.

He grabbed a nearby waiter and demanded two coffees (whatever that was) and a dessert menu. Ren smiled politely again as Hangetsu explained that he rode 'the wires', and she followed his gesture to look out the window. He described how it felt to skate across the wires, and a wistful look took over Ren's face. "It must be like flying," she murmured, wondering (not for the first time) what it would be like if she had been an Airbender.

The coffee and dessert menu arrived, and Ren sniffed the unfamiliar drink. "It seems... bitter?" she asked. "I only drink tea, really — I'm not sure if they serve anything like coffee at the Temple. Do I need to do anything with it?" She eyed the bowl of sugar and small pitcher of what appeared to be cream. She opened her dessert menu and found, with pleasure, that they had her favourite — cherry blossom-flavoured sticky rice. She quickly shut her menu, a signal to the waiter that she was ready to order. "What do you do when you're not working?" she asked Hangetsu, hoping to bring the conversation back to its earlier pleasant tones.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 7, 2012 22:02:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 7, 2012 22:02:13 GMT -6

Not only Hangetsu but he was sure that Ren and the eavesdropping waitstaff was glad that the subject was switched from train-based sexual metaphor to another means of less innuendo prone transportation.

"I've only ridden in an airship a few times but for some reason skating across those feel more like flying. You feel the air all around you and it feels like you're going so fast that you'll wind up in the North Pole if when you stop. I have to admit I'm not that good at it but I have a lot of fun doing it. I wish you had the shoes for it...I'd take you for a ride."
He paused and held up one finger as an indication to wait a minute and leaned over to look at Ren's feet and smiled when he returned to his position and measured the size the the metal crane he folded earlier to one of Ren's feet.
It might be a little awkward and perhaps illegal but he felt he owed her for thinking she was propositioning him sexually. He'd save that for a trump card, though.

The coffee came and Hangestu sighed. Ordering it was a habit. When Ren remarked on it's bitter taste it took actual physical effort not to launch into snobbish diatribe about how difficult it was to get good coffee.
"Cream and sugar help with the bitterness." He sniffed his but tried not to look like he was above drinking something he didn't make himself. Still, the smell provoked fond memories.

"My grandfather got up early every morning to make my grandmother coffee before she woke up. After she died he always made two cups every morning even though she was gone. Eventually, I started getting up early and drinking with him in silence. My grandfather made good coffee...not like this."

Hangetsu took a sip of his non-Tsukishima coffee absently. He tried to think of a way to describe his free time that didn't scream "pathetic loneliness".
"You know Lemurland? The jazz club? I live above there so I listen to a lot of music. I have to. I told you about my grandfather so I'm used to waking up early. Lately I have taken up skating across town on the cables for fun and exercise. I write my sister a lot. I also write my grandparents. My sister is a writer so I have to read all of her stuff and end up reading a lot of other stuff as well. When I have the money I go shopping for clothes or jewelry...that must sound funny coming from a man. I like suits, shoes, ties and cuff links. It's from when my sister used to dress me up like a girl. One day instead of refusing to play dress up I insisted she dress me like a boy. Since then I have liked dressing up."

The egg custard tart Hangetsu ordered arrived which he split in half and slid in the middle of the table to share with Ren.
"I hear Air Acolytes are the best when it comes to baking. Did you join to discover the secret to the perfect tart?"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 8, 2012 18:24:28 GMT -6

I wish you had the shoes for it... I'd take you for a ride.

Ren smiled quizzically as Hangetsu measured her feet, feeling somewhat self conscious at their large size. "It's... uhm... hard to find shoes that fit," the woman said apologetically. "I'm not sure I'd do very well on the wires, but it does sound fun!"

Carefully, she added the cream and sugar as told, stirring gently and sipping gingerly. She made a face. "It's not bad," she said, "but it seems it might be an... acquired taste." Hangetsu seemed to be dissatisfied with the coffee though. "Or perhaps it's just here?" Ren looked at the now-paler brown liquid in her cup. Strange to think that some people preferred this over tea! She listened with interest as Hangetsu told her about how he started drinking coffee, and her eyes misted over. It was a touching story. She wished she had one to share too.

Then Hangetsu asked her about Lemurland. She shook her head. "Sorry, no. I haven't been in the City long, and I pretty much headed straight for Air Temple Island..." The grey-haired woman trailed off, absently fixing her glasses yet again. "I don't think it sounds weird at all," she told him when he talked about enjoying shopping. "Where's the harm in wanting to buy things to make yourself look good, the way you feel you look good, instead of the way others think you ought?" There was a sudden fire and spirit to her voice, and she looked at him fiercely, a glint in her eye. "Why do activities have to be designated as 'man' and 'woman'?" She thumped the table with her hand. "It shouldn't matter!"

The waiter arrived with their desserts, and Ren fell silent, snapping her mouth shut. He looked at her curiously before setting down her cherry blossom sticky rice and Hangetsu's egg custard tart, which Hangetsu split with her. She smiled, and split her sticky rice with him. "I'm sorry about that," she said, feeling her ears grow hot. "It's... a pet peeve of mine, if you will."

Hangetsu asked her about the Air Nomad baked goods, and she laughed, shyly covering her mouth with her hand. "Not really, but it's definitely a perk!" She pointed at the egg custard. "There are several different ways to make this, you know," Ren informed him. "I know of several that are sweeter, with fruits and syrups, and some that are more savoury. They're all very delicious!"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 8, 2012 21:49:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 8, 2012 21:49:27 GMT -6

Hangetsu was visibly shaken when Ren hit the table. That reaction was much stronger than he expected. Then again dating was uncharted territory for him. His plans and preconceptions were as useful as carrying a weapon to fight off space dragons should he fall off the edge of the world.

As surprising as it was it was even more shocking for the tense man in the black suit to find himself even more attracted to Ren. He liked women with fire. Part of him wanted to stay on the subject of gender roles and see more of his date's passionate side.
Then the subject turned to tarts. Interesting, but hardly sexy. He felt dumb for bringing it up.

"I can't bake for some reason. My grandfather tried to teach me, but things either turned out so soupy you could waterbend with it or so hard you could earthbend. Stir fries, spring rolls, soups, salads, I can make just about anything that doesn't involve baking. My grandfather convinced me that if I wanted a woman to stick around cook for her."
Had it been humanly possible to double-smile Hangetsu would have done so. He found his segue back onto the subject of gender roles which he hoped would aflame Ren's passions once more.

"Back onto the gender roles thing...I never really thought much of it. My grandmother did dangerous detective work and my grandfather cooked, cleaned and made sure me and my sister weren't run over. Plus, my bending teacher was gay and he seemed like the toughest person alive when I was a kid. And let's not forget Lin Toughest Woman Ever Beifong. If my boyhood dream came true I don't think I could play the traditional man role to a woman who could easily kick my ass."
He took a bit of sticky rice and then a bit of tart and chewed them slowly.
"Can you imagine me pulling that alpha-male crap with Lin Beifong? 'Where's my newspaper and martini, woman?'"
He mimed being choked by metal tendrils.

Halfway through chewing his half of the tart Hangetsu began speaking but stopped before he could cover his date in crumbs.
"What I meant to say...instead of "mfbgrsbrl" was that the Air Temple should hand out those tarts on tours. Or hold a bake sale. They owe the rest of us for keeping all the good pastries and pretty women for themselves."
Damn. He started talking about tarts again. Hangetsu had a wonder what they had against him making progress in this date.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 9, 2012 16:12:24 GMT -6

Gender roles. It seemed fated to be brought up again. Ren fidgeted in her seat as Hangetsu talked about his grandparents and his family and his teacher, trying so hard not to climb right on that soap box and start lecturing. Her smile grew strained as he talked about Lin Bei Fong being bossed around by a man. Now was as good a time as any to test the waters for that she supposed. The date seemed to be going fairly well, barring a few misunderstandings. Ren chewed her lip, trying to think of how to broach the subject.

"The problem with gender roles," she began slowly, "is that they perpetuate the idea that men have to act in one manner, and women have to act in another. It's more acceptable for a woman to take on the role traditionally associated with men, because there is no shame in being a man." She took a bite out of her sticky rice. It was good, but not as good as her mother's — or the Air Nomad recipes. Still, it was pleasant, and she took yet another bite before continuing. "There have been strong women all over our history, good and bad — Katara, Avatars Kyoshi and Korra, former Princess Azula, Toph Bei Fong — who have eschewed their assigned 'role' for something that puts them on par with "the men". She gestured at Hangetsu, her ink-stained hand referring to his outfit. "But put a man in a dress, or makeup, have him walk down the street." Her words came faster now, the fire back in her eyes. She leaned forward, her brows knitted together. "Have him walk down, in front of everyone, in front of mothers and fathers and children and vagabonds and city leaders and see how fast they shun him. How they look at him, how they whisper, how they pull the young ones away as if this affliction of women's attire is something deadly and contagious, how they mock him and question his reasoning. Is he gay, maybe he's sick in the head, maybe it's on a dare or a bet, maybe he's weird, stay away, stay away from him you don't know what he's like, he might hurt you."

Ren laughed bitterly. "Because a man dressing like a woman, looking like a woman, that's on par with a disease." She adjusted her glasses again, her hazel eyes stern but obviously hurt. "It goes beyond just what men do, or what women do, but inherently there is less issue with a woman taking on a man's role because men are seen as the norm."

Hangetsu seemed to have trouble swallowing his tart then, and started coughing. She grinned lopsidedly, sliding her water glass closer to him. "Have a drink," she said kindly. He recovered, and made a mention of the Air Acolytes making tarts and confections for profit. As payment for keeping them... and "pretty women" for themselves. It was a silly thing, a flippant comment, but Ren blushed. He thought she was pretty?
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 10, 2012 5:18:53 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 11, 2012 15:51:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 11, 2012 15:51:04 GMT -6

Hangetsu knew enough about human nature to tell the difference between a person's passionate beliefs and their passionate beliefs formed by their own experiences. In his line of work he had to study people and added with his own sense of empathy the differences were as stark as fire and water.
Choking and changing the subject to tarts kept the awkward feeling bender from shaking his date to get her to finally stop dancing around the truth.
Then she blushed and the entire subject was wiped from his mind entirely. The only thought that remained was: Damn, she's cute.
He finished the water to keep that thought from being blurted out through the perpetual stupidity generator he called his mouth.

While ordering another water Hangetsu absently tapped his unbent napkin ring against the table but stopped when he noticed his waiter's agitated body language.
"I'll bring you your bill."
He grinned a little as the waiter left.
"I have a feeling he's been waiting to say that for a while."

The slight lull in conversation became almost painful despite it's short time. Hangetsu searched his mind for something slightly interesting but could only come up with something about himself.
"Did I mention I work part time helping out a detective? I make the coffee and write up case files, clean up, that sort of thing. She also helps keep my observation skills sharp."

Hangetsu smiled slyly as he tilted his head to one of the waiters that was snickering earlier. How he held his stomach and the tiny red dots on his sleeve told the detective's assistant part of the waiter's story.
"Before he came here he ate an Agni Kai special at Mr. Udon's at the station. His shoes are buffed to a high shine, he keeps checking his watch and slipping peeks at a photo in his pocket so it looks like he has a date tonight."

"Now, as for you..." Hangetsu said with a roguish grin he'd seen on other men but never thought he could pull of until then. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply through his nose, taking in the ambient scents around his date.
"If you hadn't told me before I could tell what you do for a living because of the ink stains and the smell of paper. Um, you have a habit of brushing loose hairs back with your left hand normally but you've been trying to curb it tonight." He reached across the table to Ren and pulled a white hair from it.
"You were buzzed by a baby sky bison before you left the island." He pointed to a tiny part of Ren's sleeve with a bit of white powder. "You ate something with powdered sugar and you really, really wanted meat tonight. Also, you're pretty, kind, and have an infectious laugh...but anybody could tell you that."

That was it. Any time he pulled out his detective tricks the date ended, but this time he had a hidden weapon.
"As for me I'm afraid of frogs and I haven't been able to earth bend at will since my grandfather died."
As a means of keeping his gaze away from whatever facial expression Ren might have made Hangetsu reached into his wallet counted out what was necessary for the bill with a minimal tip.
It seemed fair to divulge the secret that would cost him the job he wanted since childhood considering what he already knew about Ren.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 11, 2012 21:03:57 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 11, 2012 20:38:26 GMT -6

The waiter looked relieved to bring them the cheque; Ren wasn't surprised. They were probably eager for the two to leave so they could discuss it among themselves. How it was any of their business, she had no idea. She smiled a little at Hangetsu, the pit of her stomach twisted in knots. The date had went well. She almost wished it hadn't. If it hadn't, she'd never have to see him again. Would never have to tell him.

In a perfect world, this would be no big deal. She could just say it, like commenting on the weather or how much she liked his socks, and no one would pay any mind. But the world was far from perfect. Far from perfect. Ren thought back to her hometown, to her parents and her neighbours. How she went from being sweet, kind, somewhat weird kid straight to town pariah; the cold, unfriendly stares and jeers as she walked down the street.

Sure, Hangetsu was sweet now. If the world was perfect, Ren could even see this going somewhere — a possibility she'd never before entertained. She didn't like men. Right? ... Or maybe Hangetsu was just special. Or maybe she'd never let a man get so close to her before — which was definitely saying something, they had just met! She took a sip of her water as they waited for the cheque, her hand shaking slightly as she brought the glass to her lips. She'd have to tell him. If there was going to be any sort of relationship here — friendship or otherwise — she'd have to tell him the truth.

Hazel eyes glanced over at Hangetsu, noting that he looked uncomfortable in the short silence. Ren bit her lip. Were her emotions coming through? The metalbender decided to break the silence first, asking her if she knew he helped out a detective. Ren shook her head, her relief etched in her smile. A delay in the inevitable. Good. The acolyte listened with with rapt attention as he dissected the waiter's ticks and clothing, genuinely fascinated by his attention to detail. She would've never noticed those things if he hadn't pointed them out. Details weren't exactly her forte. Maybe clerical errors, or calligraphy mistakes, or typist errors — but not details on people, or places.

But then he turned his attention onto her. Instantly her spine stiffened, her smile became forced. What about me? she thought nervously, fiddling with the edges of her sleeves. ... Was he smelling the air?

Hangetsu smiled at her with a look that could only be described as roguish. Ren thought her heart skipped a beat. At the very least her breath caught in her throat. Her smile grew genuine as Hangetsu rattled off facts about her based on his observations. She smelled of paper? That would make sense. Of course, her fingers were pretty gross too. She glanced at them a little self-consciously. Maybe there was a way to get ink out? He mentioned her hair, and her left hand flew to the sloppy braid. She blushed again, tugging at the mess. He was right, of course. She could never get that darn thing to tie up neatly, even if she was able to plait it properly. Once the tie went on, floomp, it was a mess.

The man suddenly moved forward, and she flinched — but he only pulled away a white hair, waving it and and saying that an air bison had clipped her before arriving. Ren laughed, clapping her hands in delight. "Very good!" she said enthusiastically, grinning from ear to ear. "This week is my group's turn to take care of the herd!"

He guessed that she had eaten something with powdered sugar — she nodded again; she had snuck a small fruit tart just before leaving the Island. And he even knew about her struggling to not order a meat dish! Either he was really good, or she was just blatantly obvious.

When Hangetsu complimented her, Ren turned scarlet. "Oh, I, I, —- thank you," she stammered, wholly unused to being praised. As a bit of an anticlimactic ending, Hangetsu told her that he was afraid of frogs and that he had been unable to earthbend at will since his grandfather passed away. She made a sympathetic tutting noise, and the man busied himself with figuring out the tip.

The woman dabbed the corners of her lips daintily with the napkin, then took another sip of water. When Hangetsu put down the money, she stood. "Shall we go?" she murmured softly, her low tones jittery once more. She led the way out, pushing open the restaurant door into the nearly empty streets. She grabbed Hangetsu's sleeve and tugged him away from the uncovered window. This had to be private; there was no need for those nosey jerks to try and pretend not to be looking while watching her lips.

Once they were relatively alone (there were still people out and about, of course), Ren stopped, and stared at her feet. They seemed larger than normal. "I... I have something to tell you," she murmured, her wood-smoke voice trailing off into a whisper.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 13, 2012 19:52:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 13, 2012 19:52:59 GMT -6

Every time Hangetsu entertained any disparaging thoughts of what, sans clothing, would be a male/male relationship Ren would smile or push up her glasses and they were forgotten. It was confusing. The only people he spoke with were his detective partner/mentor whom he didn't know well enough, his sister who might put it in a story and his dead grand-parents.
More than anything he wished he had some unrelated, living friends to speak with. Male ones, if possible...but he had to admit he could use a female perspective as well.

The red of Ren's blushing face seemed to Hangetsu the perfect shade for a cosmetic for those poor women who could not naturally produce such a magnificent color. He wondered if his blushing were a fraction as cute and assumed that "Hangetsu Red" blush would forever linger on the cosmetic store shelf.

The sound she made when he mentioned his bending difficulty had sincerity and empathy. It made sharing one of his greatest secrets an almost rewarding experience. Lin Beifong aside, he didn't consider himself a man easily smitten and boyhood crushes didn't count. Even more startling to the young police officer was that his date seemed to enjoy his company, or at the last was polite enough (or hungry enough) to finish their meal together.

His black overcoat and matching fedora were brought to him which he thought odd since they didn't offer to check it for him.
They must want to get a jump on the gossip, he thought while he wondered if he could bend the fillings out of their teeth.

Once outside the wind blew in their direction and for a brief, shining moment Ren's acolyte robes clung to her creating a silhouette that caused Hangetsu's mind to blank temporarily. His date's odd, but lovely gray hair swayed in the breeze and created the image of something worthy of a great painting. It was nothing short of tragic that there hadn't been a photographer nearby.
Hangetsu took off his black overcoat and offered it to Ren for the sake of his modesty more than hers.

"I... I have something to tell you,"
If he hadn't been trying intently to look at Ren's face rather than the rest of her Hangetsu would not have noticed anything other than a breath had crossed her lips.
Her face and the mood around her told Hangestu the gist of the whisper he hadn't heard.
With a shy smile he took Ren's hand and leaned in closer to hear her next words no matter how faint.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 14, 2012 1:02:38 GMT -6

She felt weak. Sick. She was going to lose her meal, right then and there. She was dizzy. Hot. Cold. She was going to fall. She needed to sit. Her hands shook and she clutched her robes tightly to keep them still. Her chest felt tight, was she dying, why couldn't she breathe, what was that pain? She wobbled where she stood, then finally, tentatively, apprehensively, met Hangetsu's eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." the apology flew out of her mouth before she could stop it. She hugged herself, her eyes desperate for him to understand, desperate for him to just read her mind and have it done with, but she knew it was impossible, knew that she would have to talk. She liked him, she realised. She cared what he thought. She didn't know if it was a friendly 'like' or a romantic one, but Ren realised that if he rejected her it would be one of the most devastating blows of her life. Hangetsu, unassuming Hangetsu, who was so kind and polite and wonderful. She was scared, so scared of losing the first connection with another person she had made in such a very, very long time. "I'm sorry," she repeated, burying her face in her hands, her breath coming in short, ragged gasps.

Suddenly, her stomach heaved, and she turned her head, willing the feeling to pass, willing her dinner to just stay down. If there was anything to listen to her prayer, please, for the love of all that was sacred, let her just keep her meal in her stomach where it belonged. Her eyes watered, but after a few moments, she won the battle of wills. Thank goodness for small graces. Ren turned back to Hangetsu, wringing her hands.

"Please don't hate me."

Her voice sounded small, sounded alien to her. So childlike and needy. A sob escaped her, and she looked down at the ground, at her enormous feet, the leaves swirling in the gentle breeze. "I... I have a condition," she began slowly, trepidatiously. Ren struggled to find the right words.

"Have you ever felt like a stranger in your own skin?" Her voice quavered, hardly more than a whisper; if she wrung her hands any more the fingers would likely fall off. "Like there's something wrong with you, like ... like if you were born with three arms but felt like you only had two." It was a bad analogy. She tried again. "I'm not like other girls."

Instantly, she regretted it. It sounded flippant, trite. But she pressed on.

"Who I feel I am doesn't match what people see me as. What I look like." Her throat and mouth felt dry, like she had a mouthful of sand. "I'm not physically like other girls," she clarified. "I was born female. I am female. But my body..." she gestured, feeling naked despite being fully clothed. "It... it doesn't match."

Ren fidgeted anxiously. Did he understand? Her eyes searched his face, looking for any reaction. Or rejection. Something. She stood there, feeling like she was in some weird, time-exempt limbo.

Please say something, she pleaded silently.
This user is Mod