The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Last-Minute Friendship [tag: Sohee]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 17, 2012 22:40:00 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Sohee excused herself due to the time, and with a happy look Hoshi boxed up the rest of the cake for her to take home, slipping a sampling of both teas the girl enjoyed into the box. As the earthbender handed her the box, Sohee asked her to meet her parents; Hoshi happily agreed, feeling much better about the situation if she could just reassure the girl's parents that she wasn't some suspicious individual. Hoshi wrote down the address that Sohee gave her, then waved enthusiastically as the girl disappeared down the street and from her view. With a contented sigh, Hoshi put her shoes back on and gathered up her things, locking up the café tight.

A few days passed, and Hoshi spent them as she usually did: working. She had plans to meet Jin Ho at some sort of fancy-dress party Mizu was throwing or something, so in her spare time she was trying to find pieces for a costume. She hadn't wanted to go, of course, but Jin Ho just looked so eager that she couldn't say 'no'. Aside from having to deal with that Mizu again, she had no apprehension about the upcoming event, despite still not having told Jin Ho that the two had met. She knew the metalbender would be disappointed, but she was certain she could just explain to him what had happened.

More importantly, the next few days were exciting for Hoshi as she counted down to the first non Jin Ho-centric outing she'd had since that disaster with ... well, no use thinking about him. The day arrived for her to meet Sohee's parents, and luckily it fell to her only day off. She spent about two hours getting ready - she wanted to make the best impression on the girl's parents, that she was a responsible, respectful adult who wanted nothing more than to be innocent friends --and later co-workers-- with their daughter.

Right. Well. That was... skeevy-sounding, even to her.

So she spent more time than normal preparing for the trip. She did her short hair up in curlers for a light, fluffy look; she used a small amount of make up, very sedate, to enhance her best (in her opinion) features (eyes and mouth). The thing that took the longest was deciding on an outfit. She wanted to appear professional, but not too formal or "adult". After a lot of trying on different blouse-and-skirt combinations, Hoshi finally settled on a muted-hued, dark pink pleated skirt with a pale, almost white green blouse. She rolled skin-tone seamed stockings up her legs and slipped on some black flats. Black went with everything, right?

It was slightly after noon when Hoshi finally left her flat; she ate a light lunch, just a small salad to stave off any embarrassing hunger pangs, before brushing her teeth and leaving her abode to hail a cab to the place Sohee had written down. As the cab drew nearer to its destination, the woman began to feel some slight butterflies of nervousness. What if they didn't like her? Sohee seemed like a mature and fun girl, even if they were almost a decade apart in age — which didn't even matter to her, really. Hoshi was so short she often still passed for younger than her twenty-six years, but sometimes public perception differed from personal opinion.

The cab finally arrived, and Hoshi exited gingerly, paying the driver his due and a little extra for tip. Hoshi walked up the stairs as instructed, and knocked on the door, her heart thudding.

"Hello!" she said when the door opened, trying to be as pleasant and respectful as possible. "Good afternoon. I am Jeon Hoshi, I met Sohee a few days ago at my café...?" She trailed off, waiting for a reply.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 19, 2012 22:14:50 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 19, 2012 22:14:50 GMT -6

Sohee didn't say anything, but she gave Hoshi a smile. This was up to her parents to do. Hopefully it would all go over rather smoothly and the "interview" wouldn't last too long. Sohee hadn't had a chance to spend time with Hoshi since that night, and she didn't want to wait until the night of the match. It was fine if she had to, but she found herself kind of hoping that there would be time for one more outing first.

Her father whipped out an extra long piece of paper that fell all the way to the ground, then took out a pair of glasses and put them on awkwardly with one hand. He had an emotionless expression on his face, and he peered over the rims of his glasses at Hoshi, looking her up and down before giving her a nod.

"So you did, so you did. I heard all about it. Sohee tells me you're a nice woman. I trust her, but as her father I am obligated to make sure of that myself, I'm sure you understand. Now I have here a list of questions that I will be asking you on various subjects to see if I can find you trustworthy. When my daughter came home and said she made a friend that was one thing, but one who will be taking her to a sports match and night and potentially employing her at that is quite a different story. I'll just have to make sure I can trust my daughter with you."

Sohee froze. Oh. My. God. DAD. Are you interrogating my future boss? What is wrong with you?! Her mouth hung open in horror.

"Right, now let's begin with item one on this list. Hmm. For some reason everything seems to be blurry."

"Sweetheart, please give me back my glasses, they're not for you. And please, for goodness sake, put the paper towels back in the bathroom."

Oh, right, yes. This is my father we're talking about. I'm finally about to do something serious and he interviews my friend and possible employer with bathroom tissue. I'm so glad he cares about me.

Without any hint of embarrassment, the man returned his wife's glasses and vanished into the house. Sohee's mother simply rolled her eyes and put her glasses away in her pocket. "It's nice to meet you, dear. Sohee hasn't been able to stop talking about the other night. Incidentally, is that chocolate cake yours? If so, I must compliment your culinary abilities, it was all I could do to avoid eating all the rest of it."

Sohee's father returned, his intimidating, blank expression replaced with a jovial smile. "It wasn't your will that prevented you from eating it, it was the fact that Sohee and I got to it first," he chuckled. "But anyway, I'm Sohee's father, as you might have guessed. It's good to meet you finally. So I hear you're looking to take Sohee out to a probending match in the near future, is that right? And perhaps what I'm more interested in is the whole job situation. Not that I have any doubts about my daughter's abilities, but what got you interested in looking at her as a hire? I'm sure she told you she hasn't worked before." Thanks dad.
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 19, 2012 22:56:28 GMT -6

Her smile froze in place as the man — Sohee's father, likely — pulled out a scroll-type thing (who used scrolls in this day and age?) and glasses in preparation for interrogating her. When it turned out to be a joke, Hoshi couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief, chuckling a little at her own gullibility. With a little bow, she addressed the girl's parents.

"It is wonderful to meet you," she said, blushing at the compliment about her food. "Yes, I baked the cake, but it is my umma's recipe." Hoshi couldn't take the credit for something her mother came up with. She had yet to blend her own tea, or even come up with her own cake recipe; she had been putting it off, being too busy with the management of the store itself to make it uniquely her own.

Sohee's father addressed her, and Hoshi bowed again. "She is a very bright, and kind person," she replied earnestly. "who is passionate about the things that interest her. She showed an interest in tea culture, and everything else can be learned." She straightened, smiling a little. "Besides, how is one to gain experience in order to work if they are never hired?"

The earthbender stood awkwardly at the doorway, wondering if she'd be invited in. It would be too impolite to bring it up herself, so Hoshi stayed where she was, her smile starting to strain just a little.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 19, 2012 22:58:19 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 20, 2012 2:14:20 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 20, 2012 2:14:20 GMT -6

Hearing anyone talk nicely about her or give her compliments was pleasant, albeit awkward. She loved to hear how people thought of her, though a voice in the back of her mind told her that they were just exaggerating because they were right there with her. Oh the things they probably said behind her back! But she knew that was paranoia talking. After all... Hoshi had come of her own free will. Someone who didn't like her would have made some excuse.

"I like the way you think," Sohee's father said. "But before we continue, come in! We don't have a large amount of space inside, but sitting is much more pleasant. I can't imagine your feet get much time to themselves with a job like yours, at any rate."

The group walked inside, Sohee pulling out a chair for Hoshi next to her. This was also rather awkward. Sohee had no part in this conversation, but she didn't want to just leave. That would be weird. But so would sitting there, not saying anything, listening to everyone talk about her as though she wasn't there. She wished there were an 'in between' phase, but of course, there was none. She just hoped it didn't last too long.

After her family had taken a seat, her mother setting down glasses of water for everyone, her father spoke again. "I honestly don't have too much to cover. Like I said, I trust my daughter, and I can see you're a responsible adult. And even if you weren't that'd be fine with me, Sohee's childhood has been lacking in shenanigans. I just once wanted to hear that she had set some old man's cat on fire with the neighborhood kids, just once gotten into some sort of misch — ahem, sorry my dear. But yes, I have no problems with her working as long as it doesn't interfere with her schooling."

"Did you have any specific plans for her in terms of hours and duties?" her mother asked. Sohee sat by twiddling her thumbs very obviously, already impatient and hoping someone would remember she was there.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 20, 2012 22:51:52 GMT -6

She was very relieved to be invited inside, and she seated herself on the chair Sohee got for her. Hoshi smiled at her new friend, grateful for the rest. Sohee's father seemed fairly astute; she didn't get much time to relax, working at the shop. More often than not, Hoshi ended her day with her feet soaking in warm water and salts to ease the soreness.

"It won't interfere," Hoshi promised, addressing both parents at once. "If I could know her schedule for schooling — she said she is home schooled? — then it would be easier to set a schedule." Her heart pounded. This was really happening! "I think I'd need a few days to train her, middle of the week would be best, probably sometime after lunch, to avoid a busy time." She thought for a moment, trying to arrange her business hours into a suitable schedule for a trainee. "Yes," she affirmed. "Early afternoon in the middle of the week would be best for training. Once that is done, I think the schedule would be up to Sohee." She looked at the girl sitting silently near them.

Sohee was twiddling her thumbs, and Hoshi smiled at her. Kindred spirits, the earthbender thought. She hated being spoken of as if she wasn't in the room, and felt like Sohee might be the same way. "Do you have any preferences for working hours?" she asked. "The busiest hours are between nine and ten in the morning, and one and three in the afternoon. I think you'd be best working a few days at first, just to get the hang of things after your training."

She kept her tone light, but Hoshi really wanted to discuss going out to a Probending match. But when would be an appropriate time?
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 20, 2012 23:47:24 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 20, 2012 23:47:24 GMT -6

Sohee was starting to feel like she was a student in a meeting with her parents and instructor. She pictured it going something like this, anyway. Worries about academics, schedules, all that stuff, and she was supposed to sit there and deal with it. She couldn't wait for her birthday.

It took her by slight surprise when Hoshi turned to her and asked her a question. Wasn't that breaking some code? Wasn't she to remain dutifully silent until they had finished talking? Oh wait, it got worse. Now she had to come up with an answer to her question. No time to think. No time to ponder. And in public, too. Damnit.

"Well, I'm usually done with any school work by two in the afternoon, so any time after that I would be free. Maybe I could possibly make some morning shifts if I wasn't busy and if you really needed me, but... I..." her voice became softer, close to a whisper, and though she knew her parents could still hear, her response was to Hoshi alone instead of the room at large. "I'm nervous. I'm really nervous. I haven't worked before, much less around a lot of people in a busy environment like that. I'm scared I'll do something wrong or someone will get mad at me, or..." she had to stop herself before she sounded too pathetic. But it was true. One, she was terrified of lengthy social interaction. Two, this was all very unfamiliar to her. Three, she had seen how people treated those in charge of serving food and drink, and while most people were fine, some... weren't. She had seen servers burst into tears when they thought no one was watching. She didn't want that.

"That schedule works fine for us, and if she's getting her first job, we can be lenient," Sohee's mother interjected, not unkindly. "Homeschooling does have an advantage of not having set hours. So if you need her for set times, we can work around that."

"There's also the matter of the upcoming probending match!" Sohee's father spoke up, looking happy. "So who's playing? Who's your team?" At a look from his wife, he cleared his throat. "I mean, how will you be getting there, and how late do you expect to be out? I'm assuming you'll be with her the whole time."

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 22, 2012 18:45:20 GMT -6

Hoshi bit her lip when Sohee expressed concern about dealing with people. While she had no such qualms herself, she definitely understood from Jin Ho that not everyone liked otherwise meaningless interaction. She smiled kindly at the younger girl and tried to assuage her fears.

"The café is a pretty relaxed place, just busy at times." Her hands were animated as she spoke. "Most of my customers are the elderly lot, who are just quiet. Not a lot of those cranky-types coming in. Occasionally we do get that one drunk that doesn't have the sense to stay home" — Hoshi made a face, remembering Mizu stumbling into the café— "but they're just there for what my mother calls the Debauchery Special, which is a tea with lemon and honey said to work wonders for a hangover." The earthbender rolled her emerald eyes. "It's not very frequent though; the most you'll have to be dealing with is a bunch of soft-spoken old people that like to tell you about their cats. And, of course, if there's any trouble I or my mother will always be there."

She rummaged around in her purse for the small notebook-calendar she kept. "Let's see... in a few weeks time, there will be the annual fall festival; the shop tends to slow down a lot since there are other places to eat, so why don't we do the first, third, and last workdays of the week, around one in the afternoon? That way," she turned to Sohee again, "you can have a day in between to regroup."

Sohee's father interrupted then, asking about the probending match. Instantly, Hoshi's face lit up and she turned to him excitedly. "The White Fall Wolf-Bats will be facing the Republic City Armadillo-Wolves." Her gesturing became more animated as she ticked off the specifics of their outing. "I am a huge fan of the Wolf-Bats, of Tahno especially. We'll go by cab, the match starts just after sun-down, so I'll come with a cab to pick up Sohee and we'll go there together. Matches are short, so barring anything happening it shouldn't take more than half an hour. But I was hoping we could go out for dinner after, so I'm thinking I'll drop her back off around eight in the evening. And, of course, I will be with her the whole time, barring bathroom breaks." Because a girl had to have some privacy.

Hoshi held up her hands and spoke again. "Also, please don't worry about cost. I am more than happy to pay for everything, I was able to get some tickets cheap off of one of the café patrons." She grinned at Sohee. "We've got box seats, can you believe it?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Sept 24, 2012 23:35:48 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 24, 2012 23:35:48 GMT -6

Sohee began to feel at ease. She knew it was probably one of those situations that seemed bad until you actually got into it, but that didn't really help her for the moment. But Hoshi seemed confident, and that was fine for her. In her mind, she uttered a statement she was pretty sure only a handful of people her age had ever thought throughout history: Oh, thank goodness. Old people!

"That sounds fine," she said, trying to sound confident while already kicking herself for her momentary display of weakness. "I hope to pick things up quickly and be able to help you out more than I hinder you."

It seemed that probending was now the topic of discussion, and she could tell that she would probably have to pull Hoshi (or even her father) away from the table before they became so enveloped in their discussions that they wouldn't notice an earthquake. But they could have a few minutes.

"Aha! A Wolf-Bats fan. You must come over some time. They're not my team, but I recognize a talented team when I see one. I'm a Fire Ferrets man myself. Oh the rivalries! You know, I like you already. I've been a probending fan for quite some time, could never get the ladies into it quite as much. But if you convert my daughter it'll be well worth it. I've got my team, but I'll watch any match. I'm an open-minded type of guy, see."

The lady of the house already appeared bored, and although Sohee was interested, those two were in a world of their own. But she was happy. Box seats? Goodness. Now that was definitely a way to get introduced to a sport.

"Honey, let's not keep our guest for too long, I'm sure she has other engagements today," Sohee's mother said from the side, and Sohee translated that as a polite way of saying, "Honey, your mouth needs to shut, and it needs to shut now." He nodded in agreement, quite used to that tone.

"Well, everything does appear to be in order," he said. "For the record, I'm envious. But I'm sure you two will have a great time, and I expect my kid to come back with proficient knowledge of probending. I also expect her to like the teams I approve of. Just kidding, sweetheart. But seriously."

Unsure of whether it was time to go, Sohee stood up anyway. If they were done, Hoshi probably didn't want to stick around, and she couldn't blame her. That said, it was a bit unfortunate that most of the conversation had been with her parents. And they haven't even asked all that much in the first place. Not even her mother! Hey, if they were happy, she was happy. And she was definitely happy.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 25, 2012 0:51:44 GMT -6

Hoshi bristled visibly. Fire Ferrets, again. Sure, they were up-and-coming new stars. She didn't begrudge them that. But to compare them to the Wolf Bats! They had the Avatar, for goodness' sake. It wasn't cheating, but it was like cheating. Somehow.

But she smiled, laughing it off. "I've been a Wolf Bats fan for a while now, it's just hard to see a new group try and usurp them." The earthbender grinned, leaning in closer to Sohee's dad. "But, Avatar or no, the Wolf Bats will take the championship home. They've got the experience, they've got the youth, they'll out-play the Ferrets!" Hoshi pumped her fist enthusiastically. "You'll see! They'll win." Of course they would. It was almost inconceivable otherwise. Or maybe that was just her fanaticism talking.

Hoshi stood at Sohee's mother's words, feeling that she had overstayed her welcome. "Er, yes, I do have to get back to the shop to, ah, check in with my mother." She brushed out her skirt, and gave a little bow. "Thank you very much for your permission," the short woman said. "I will be here to pick up Sohee for the match next week."

As she made her way to the door, Hoshi looked back with a small smile. "If you're ever down my way, come to the shop for dinner and a tea-tasting sometime! My mother and I would be happy to serve you." She bowed again, and with a wave to Sohee, left the apartment, taking a cab back to the shop.

When she got there, she was all smiles. Her mother looked at her impatiently, carrying a tray to table seven. "Don't just stand there," her mother said, gesturing to the tables. "Help." Hoshi grinned and went to the back counter to set down her purse. Her mother joined her shortly. "How was it?" she asked softly. "Were they nice people?" The shorter woman nodded. "The father's funny, a little strange. The mother is soft-spoken, but seems nice too. They said we could go, and I invited them to come by the shop at any time." Her mother nodded in approval. "Good. I want to meet them, too."

"Umma!" Hoshi protested. She wasn't a little girl anymore! "They're good people! You don't have to meet her parents!"

"If they are good people, why can't I meet them?" her mother retorted. Hoshi snapped her mouth shut, and Mrs. Jeon smiled in satisfaction. "Exactly. Now go pick up table eleven's check."

——-

A few days passed before Hoshi heard from Sohee again. She had given the girl her home number, and a few days later Sohee had called in the morning to tell her — warn her, almost? — that her parents had decided to take Hoshi up on her offer of dinner at the café. When Hoshi told Umma, however, the older woman decided to close down the shop for that day and serve them a home-cooked meal and tea. Futilely, Hoshi protested, but ultimately rolled up her sleeves and got to work, helping Mrs. Jeon create an elaborate bulgogi using the finest ingredients purchasable from the market place. The two women then arranged the café to be more cosy and home-like, pushing up the other tables to the wall and combining two tables together for the five of them, as well as for the food.

Mrs. Jeon pulled out all the stops, and Hoshi could tell she was happy she had found a friend — even if that friend was nearly a decade younger.

While everything was marinating, Hoshi got ready for company, heading back to her flat for a shower, makeup, and a change of clothes. She wore a simple dress, a pale green in colour, with a dark brown shawl and flats. Her hair was done in a finger-wave style, and she wore a minimal amount of makeup. Conversely, Hoshi found Mrs. Jeon in a traditional hanbok upon her return to the shop.

"What are you wearing?" she demanded of her daughter, who sighed.
"Umma, this is fine. I only have one hanbok, and you told me it was for special occasions."
"What is not special about my daughters first new friend?"

But ultimately Mrs. Jeon conceded. "You look pretty, at least." Hoshi rolled her eyes. "Thank you, Umma."

Dinner time finally rolled around, and Hoshi stood next to the makeshift "Closed for Private Affair" sign outside the door. Where were they?
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 25, 2012 1:08:04 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 30, 2012 1:35:23 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 30, 2012 1:35:23 GMT -6

"Dad please."
"No."
"Dad we went this way three times before."
"It doesn't look familiar to me, so we're going this way."
"You're old, that's why!"
"What? My goodness you're right. Lead the way then!"

They weren't that late, but for Sohee, even being on time was late. You either get there at least ten minutes before (and that was pushing it) or you arrived in a panic because you were just barely cutting it. Now that they were a few minutes late, it was almost unbearable. It wasn't all her parents' fault, though. She had told them confidently that she knew the way because she had been there before, and then the instant she had a moment of indecision, it snowballed from there. But she had gotten them close, and now things were starting to look familiar. She saw the familiar sign and pointed to it.

"That one!"
"It says they're closed for a private affair."
"That's us. See? Hoshi's there."
"Oh."

They walked up to her, Sohee giving her a wave as they approached. She hoped that Hoshi was standing outside simply to greet them, and not because she was looking at everyone passing by because they were late. She was worried about making a good first impression, and they had a mark against them before they had even arrived. She quickly made sure she looked presentable, then checked to make sure her parents were behind her. They had dressed nicely, but nothing too overly fancy. Sohee wasn't expecting an elaborate, fancy dinner, but she wasn't too sure of it now. The whole place closed for a private affair? And Hoshi looked good tonight. The girl had to try not to stare.

"I'm sorry for being late," she said as they approached, not sure if Hoshi was annoyed at their belated arrival. "We got a little... kind of lost on the way." She paused for a minute, then nodded behind her. "You've met my parents, so there's not much introduction to be had, but..." Hmm. How on earth do I finish this sentence. It's kind of open-ended and awkward. "Yeah, we're here!" ...better luck next time.
Last edit: Sept 30, 2012 2:02:34 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 2, 2012 0:16:49 GMT -6

Ah, there they are. Sohee waved at her, and she waved back. They were a little late, but it wasn't anything drastic. Sohee seemed concerned, though, apologising for their tardiness. The short woman waved her hand. "Don't worry about it," she reassured the girl. "We haven't been waiting long."

With a formal bow, she gestured to the door. "Welcome to the Lotus Café! Please come in." Straightening, Hoshi led the way; she stopped for a moment before opening the door. "I'm sorry," she muttered in a soft undertone. "My mother is incredibly excited to meet you, and I apologise in advance if she's..." How to put it? "... abrasive." With that, she opened the door, stepping aside to let Sohee and her family pass through the doors first.

The tables and chairs had been moved aside and along the walls, forming a sort of half-circle around the centre of the room. Umma stood facing them, her hands held low and clasped together; when they approached, the middle-aged woman bowed. "Umma, this is Sohee and---er..." Hoshi trailed off, realising she hadn't asked her parents' names. "...and her parents. Everyone, this is my mother, Jeon Soo Jin."

"Welcome. Please, excuse my daughter's manners. She is so impolite, forgetting to ask for your names."

To an outsider, Mrs. Jeon's words might have seemed rough, or unnecessary; but it was something Hoshi was used to. She and her mother were actually quite close, especially after her father's passing. Mrs. Jeon just wanted Hoshi to be a sweet, polite girl, and sometimes Hoshi just... wasn't. The words, while themselves harsh, were spoken with love and a bit of reproach. Where are your manners? the earthbender could almost hear her mother's voice in her head. It had been carelessness on her part, having been so excited about meeting Sohee and probending and —-

"Hoshi."

Mrs. Jeon's sharp voice interrupted her thoughts. "Oh! I'm sorry." Hoshi quickly pulled out a chair for Sohee's mother, located directly across from Soo Jin, who sighed at her absent-mindedness.

Once they were all seated, Mrs. Jeon motioned for Hoshi to pass out teacups; when she poured the tea, an earthy, wholesome scent filled the air. "Shui Hsien oolong tea, blended with ginger," Hoshi informed them, taking a deep breath and allowing the fragrance to envelope her. "It's a heavy tea, and can be a little bitter, but it should go well with our meal tonight — especially the ginger blend." She gestured to the table. While the meal was traditional Earth Kingdom fare, Mrs. Jeon had made the choice to serve it on modern dishes - plates instead of bowls, serving utensils instead of a free-for-all grab.

Mrs. Jeon placed marinated strips of cowpig meat on the grilling plate in the centre of the table, then served some gimbap as an appetiser. The centre of each piece of gimbap was filled with eggs, vegetable, and a small cube of sausage. The meat strips sizzled, and Mrs. Jeon turned her attention to her guests.

"So, what do you do?" she queried bluntly. "You take care of your daughter? Your family?" Her aged brown eyes glanced at the family of three keenly, and Hoshi rubbed her temples. "Umma..." she said wearily. "Let them breathe."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Oct 11, 2012 22:21:06 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Oct 11, 2012 22:21:06 GMT -6

Sohee could instantly tell that the place looked much different from when she had been there last. It hadn't been that long; had they gone through a remodel already? It took her a few moments to realize that the furniture's movement probably had something to do with the fact that they were having a nice dinner together. Wow. All of that for us? I'm... I'm impressed.

However, while her eyes were processing this new change, her senses of hearing, taste and smell were beating it into submission as she took in the scents of what was obviously going to be an extremely tasty meal. She glanced around to see what was cooking, but then she remembered that she had to meet Hoshi's mother, and she suddenly felt anxious again. Meeting adults in a formal setting like this, where she was often perceived as being unequal — as opposed to casually talking to an older person on the street — was nerve-racking. This was one of those moments where she needed to try extra hard to make a first impression. She went over the rules in her head. Don't talk too much. Mind your manners. Don't eat too much. Eat slowly with small bites. Don't stare.Don't laugh too hard, your laugh is seriously annoying.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. Ah, thank you dear," Sohee's mother said as Hoshi pulled out a chair. "My name is Sun Ji-Yun and this is my husband, Sun Jin-Taek. You have a wonderful place here."

Sohee couldn't help but think that their mothers would probably get along quite well. Hoshi's mother seemed strict and relatively intimidating, so she was sure the women would have lots to talk about. This thought was lost on her as she sat down, however, and the food. Oh goodness, the food. Sohee's family didn't often have things like this. Her parents were decent cooks, but they didn't like to experiment with new things too often. This stuff on the table, even though there were a few things she didn't recognize, was exactly what she was looking for. Hoshi's mother was talking, and it took a few moments for Sohee to remind herself to look up and pay attention to the conversation instead of stare at the food.

"Well, I work in an auto factory, and my wife typically stays at home to manage the house and take care of Sohee's education," Jin-Taek said, looking as though he would like to get well-acquainted with the meal as well. "She's quite the teacher. I daresay she's done a better job than I could even hope to do. It's just the three of us, you see, but we are content with what we have and what we do."

Sohee couldn't last any more. She started on the appetizer, which was deliiiicious. The tea wasn't too bad, either. It was heavy, certainly, but better than she expected.

"So is it just you and your daughter that manage here?" Ji-Yun asked after taking a sip of tea. "This is quite good. Admittedly I don't come to this area often, but now that I know this is here I may need to make an exception."

Typical boooring adultspeak. Get all the polite, pleasurable conversation out of the way and let's talk probending or something. What I wouldn't give for a 'kid's table' for Hoshi and me. Wait, oh no. If I'm hired, does that make this woman my boss? I'd really make a good impression tonight.
Last edit: Oct 11, 2012 22:29:07 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Oct 28, 2012 22:53:57 GMT -6

Hoshi kept silent as her mother exchanged pleasantries with Sohee's parents. She wasn't sure where she fit in the conversation — on the one hand she was an "Adult". She did Adult things and had Adult responsibilities, but the parents were taking. She glanced over at Sohee, who seemed just as out of place as she. Mrs. Jeon began talking animatedly, and Hoshi wordlessly took the cooking utensils out of her mother's hands and took over the grilling duties.

Her portion of gimbap remained untouched. Hoshi didn't mind; she would rather eat appetiser with her meal than allow the meat to be burned.

Soo Jin, on the other hand, was too busy talking to eat. "Oh yes, it is just Hoshi and myself," her umma sighed, not unpleasantly. "My dear husband started the café with me, and the teas here are mostly of his creation. He passed on, my Kwan." She paused, and Hoshi patted her hand in sympathy. The loss of Kwan Jeon had been hard on the little family, especially Soo Jin who did not have too many close friends.

Hoshi turned the meat over, the delicious scent wafting through the shop. She gave Sohee a little smile, and cleared her throat. "Sohee," she started, trying to include the girl into the conversation. "Are you excited about the probending match?"

"Aishhhhh," her mother sighed, grabbing the cooking utensils from her hands and doling out generous servings of meat, vegetables and rice to their guests. " 'Probending', again? It's like you don't have anything else to worry about." Mrs. Jeon glanced meaningfully at her ring-bare hand. She snatched it away, putting it in her lap. That was not a subject to go into!
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 1, 2012 0:21:33 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 1, 2012 0:21:33 GMT -6

Oof. A loss in the family. That was a really awkward way to start that conversation. It could have gone any way, but it had to be something sad. It wasn't like that was a bad thing, but when she encountered situations like this it was just so very painfully awkward. What do you even say to that? Sohee felt for them, though. Soo Jin didn't look it, but Sohee was sure she ached inside. And what of Hoshi? Oh, if Sohee lost one of her parents she didn't know what she would do.

"I'm so sorry," Ji-Yun said. "He was clearly a man who knew his craft."

Any further awkwardness was brushed away by Hoshi, and it was Sohee's time to shine. She set down her tea and made sure she wouldn't knock anything over if her movements became too animated.

"Oh, yes. Yes! I am ridiculously excited. Every time I think about it I start getting excited."

She paused for a moment as Mrs. Jeon started placing food on their plates. She wasn't sure why she stopped talking whenever someone did that, but it was a natural reflex. It all looked delicious, though, and she almost wished that her plate hadn't been graced with its presence; now she would have to stop talking and eat when she really wanted to talk about probending. Oh the troubles of modern youth.

Hoshi's mother didn't seem as excited about probending, though Sohee couldn't say she was surprised. It was a stereotype, she guessed. Older people and probending didn't seem like a likely combination. But there seemed to be something else going on, and Hoshi's sudden movement made her think that the older woman was hinting at something quite uncomfortable. Determined not to let it become awkward again (twice in just a few minutes was not a good record), she continued.

"You know, I've been thinking about probending. I'm not a bender myself, but I was thinking about getting back into martial arts if I could. I took a few lessons when I was younger, but I think I might want to get into it again. I think probending might give me some motivation as well!"

"Good idea, honey," Jin-Taek said after swallowing a massive mouthful of rice. "I was beginning to think your completely sedentary lifestyle would start affecting your health. Next thing you know we'd be pushing around a carbon-based blob in a wheelchair."

Sohee's cheeks turned crimson. She had wondered whether her father would tone down his interesting sense of humor around their hosts. Welp, there was her answer.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Nov 14, 2012 21:14:56 GMT -6

Jin-Taek's sense of humour was... well, strange. Hoshi and her mother exchanged questioning glances. Perhaps a little rude, but he seemed to be one of 'those' fathers — the kind who thought they were absolutely hilarious but often had jokes that were incomprehensible to strangers. From Sohee's flushed face, Hoshi could see that it was a source of definite embarrassment for the girl.

"Well," she said brightly, ignoring Jin-Taek's comments for her new friend's sake, "I'm not the greatest bender in the world, but I learned from my father as well as my friend's father — he was a Police Officer, so it's fairly good training." She helped herself to some more food, and refilled everyone's tea that needed refilling. "I'm sure we can fit something into the work schedule, maybe before or after close. Or perhaps your mother wouldn't be opposed to adding it to your schooling lessons, and I can come over briefly for a short session?"

"Aiiishhhhhh," Mrs. Jeon sighed again. "I tell my daughter she should get married, why doesn't she find a nice boy? But she is more interested in this 'probending', and spends too much time working. Aigoo, what will I do in my old age without grandchildren?"

Hoshi rolled her eyes. It was a familiar speech, but she knew her mother didn't really mean all of it. She would never force Hoshi in a relationship, even if she suggested dates now and again — though after the last disaster of a date, Mrs. Jeon hadn't suggested anyone new. Hoshi thought her mother still held out hope that Jin Ho would suddenly turn around and want to marry her again.

"Umma, let's not bore our guests," she said lightly, turning back to Sohee and piling more food on her plate. "I hear that there's a considerable amount of support for the Armadillo-Wolves," she continued, turning the subject back to probending deftly. "The team is kind of curious, I saw their full name was "Republic City Armadillo-Wolves", and I found it odd considering the Fire Ferrets are thought of as this city's hometown." She put some more food on the grill. "I think they're all just from Republic City, but several magazines have speculated they're trying to overthrow the Fire Ferrets as the city's favourite — what do you think?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Feb 19, 2013 7:59:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 19, 2013 7:59:27 GMT -6

When the possibility of being taught, by Hoshi no less, came up, Sohee felt excitement again. And she was serious! Oh, this was fantastic. Everything was going so well. And she knew her parents would undoubtedly approve of Sohee making a friend. She knew they would especially approve if they got to get a free meal every time it happened. Her thoughts drifted to what her father would do for a free meal and didn't want to think about that anymore.

"That sounds..." she started excitedly, then look at her parents, trying to read their expressions. Usually there would be a nod or shake of the head, telling her how to answer the invitation before they had to step in themselves. This time, after a quick look between the two, they looked back at her and gave her a very slight nod. She was thankful for their effort not to embarrass her. "That sounds great. I'd love that so much."

And she meant it. She was already picturing it in her head. Hoshi standing next to her, showing her the proper postures, demonstrating how to move, Sohee following suit, her hands moving slightly farther than they should, Hoshi holding her bloody nose — Brain, stop it. It will be fine. Okay? Fine.

At the mention of marriage, Sohee looked over at her parents. Ji-Yun was looking at Hoshi's mother sympathetically, though silently. Jin-Taek, on the other hand, was looking at Sohee with a smile, giving her a subtle wink. She glared at him briefly and looked back while the others were still preoccupied.

As more food spread around, the subject inevitably turned back to probending. Sohee liked it, but she would have preferred to be a spectator to the conversation. She knew very little, and certainly not enough to answer the questions.

"Well, I... it's weird that they both... well..."

"The magazines are absolutely right, is what they are," Jin-Taek interjected, giving Hoshi a knowing look. "That's what they're up to. Maybe they think that with a name like that they can get more support, psychologically boost their players, extra morale, you know. Not going to work, in my opinion! The Fire Ferrets are the favorite, always will be. Can't get around that with a cheap trick like a name change, you know! I mean, you've seen their players, they really..."

Yeah, this was why she couldn't answer. She had a lot to learn. But that was fine. Because if it were Hoshi teaching her fun things, what could go wrong? And so she said as much.

"You'll definitely have to teach me all this," she stated after a few delicious bites. "I don't know enough to say! But the match will be a great place to start. I will bombard you with questions, so be ready!"

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Feb 20, 2013 0:31:10 GMT -6

Hoshi gave Jin-Taek a sceptical look. "You really think so?" she queried with a shrug, as if it was of little consequence. "They'd have to do a lot more to win over the City, don't you think?" She gestured vaguely as she spoke, turning the meat carefully to sear on the other side. There was plenty more food where it came from, a typical gesture of hospitality in Earth Kingdom culture.While most normal at-home meals were very well moderated and filling but not overly so, meals with guests were an exercise in gluttony. They'd eat until everyone got tired of it, linger over conversation and tea-and-something-sweet, then say prolonged goodbyes at the door.

She wasn't sure if she'd last with all the eating.

"The Ferrets have three things going for them. One," Hoshi ticked off the items with her fingers, "they have the typical underdog story. Two orphaned boys, rising from the streets and poverty into world class fame and popularity. It doesn't hurt that they're not bad to look at either. Their firebender seems especially popular. Two," she ticked off another item, "they have the Avatar on their side. She's a natural, or as natural as one can be with dozens upon dozens of past lives at your back. And the people love her. She's earnest, enthusiastic, and puts on a great show. And three," here Hoshi emphasised the word, "they have the backing of the ever-popular Future Industries. Was it a calculated move by Mr. Sato to sponsor them, or was he simply thinking about exposure? I'm inclined to think the former — anyone who doesn't know what Future Industries is and what its responsible for will learn quickly. The Armadillo-Wolves can't hope to counter those three factors with a name, even if it is supposed to tug at some patriotic heartstrings."

Whew, what a mouthful. Hoshi sucked in a breath, unused to having someone with which she could banter probending at such an informed level. Neither Jin Ho nor her mother cared much for the sport, and it wasn't until Sohee graced the Café's doorsteps that she even entertained the notion that she ever would.

You'll definitely have to teach me all this. I don't know enough to say! But the match will be a great place to start. I will bombard you with questions, so be ready!

The young woman laughed and clapped her hands delightedly — a gesture that would have looked contrived on others, but appeared completely natural to Hoshi. "Oh, I look forward to it!" she said, the delight in her voice apparent. "We'll have to go over the basics of the match, of course, before we go. And I'm sure we can squeeze in some earthbending practice too. Oh! And there's shop training, of course. We can-—"

Hoshi broke off, then looked sheepishly at Sohee. "This is a lot to take in. Are you sure you're okay with it? I mean, you, personally."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Feb 20, 2013 0:32:14 GMT -6
Anonymous
Feb 24, 2013 16:50:28 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Feb 24, 2013 16:50:28 GMT -6

As dinner went on, Sohee began to feel full. And not just any kind of full. Absolutely stuffed. Which was a shame, really, because this food was absolutely delicious. She was rather small, but she could certainly eat a good amount if she wanted to. In this case, however, it still wasn't enough. She began to slow down and pay more attention to the conversation, listening intently on the probending discussing between Hoshi and her father. She understood vaguely what Hoshi was talking about, and it began to make sense to her, but the delivery made it sound almost political. Influence and patriotism and company backers. She wanted to hear more about the cool moves the players could perform, and without a team to fangirl over, she didn't have any bias to prevent her from liking everybody in the sport.

Finally she sat back a little, unable to eat any more; though, of course, there was always a little room for dessert. It was a biological thing, she figured, and humans had been created to always save space for delicious things after large meals. Hoshi seemed excited enough herself, and she was talking about things Sohee could relate to. Now that Hoshi was putting it all in list form it did seem a little daunting, but she ignored the anxious feeling in her stomach. Times were changing, and she wasn't going to get anywhere by hiding.

"I'm okay!" Sohee affirmed with a smile. "I really look forward to all of it, and I can't wait to start."

"When do you think Sohee will begin?" Ji-Yun asked Hoshi. "I know you may not need her for the shop right away, but I'm sure you will want her for other things." Beside her, Jin-Taek finished all but one bite off his plate, then sat back, looking satisfied — though he was also look around casually, trying to appear as though he weren't searching for something sweet to finish the meal.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Feb 28, 2013 2:17:57 GMT -6

After a moment's pause and a glance at her mother, Hoshi answered. "I think after the Probending Championships. The shop will be really busy until the hype dies down,I think, and while the help would be useful I don't want to stress Sohee out." The woman smiled across the table. "Umma and I can manage for the next two weeks, so the week after I'll give you a call with a schedule. Do you have a phone?"

The next few weeks passed quickly. After the Jeons and Suns exchanged numbers, the dinner wrapped up quickly, Hoshi begging tiredness. If it were left up to Umma, the night would've gone on until the Sun family called it quits first. The days flew by and before Hoshi knew it, it was time to go to the Armadillo-Wolves / Wolf Bat match.

It was an amazing game; the Wolf Bats completely decimated the so-called 'Republic City' team, though Hoshi thought to herself that they did pretty well, considering their opponents. The one-armed Earthbender, Ryari, was especially impressive, using an ingenious method of bending to compensate for her missing appendage. Sohee looked like she enjoyed the match as well, despite the fact the two had to strain to hear each other over the excited yelling and Shiro Shinobi's amplified voice. Hoshi practically had to shout into Sohee's ear to explain the rules, and the terms, and the referee calls. They left the match feeling pumped up, went out to a quick dinner — not at the shop, naturally — to recount the amazing game they had just watched, before Hoshi dropped her new friend off at home and returned to her own flat.

And the following week, everything came crashing down. Amon, as he promised over the radio a few days prior, attacked the Wolf Bats at the end of their Championship match against the Ferrets, accusing the City of elevating cheating benders onto pedestals, exemplifying everything wrong with their society. She had been at home, listening to Shiro's broadcast on the radio when Amon took over the stage; Hoshi had cried out when she heard, faintly through the microphone, Tahno begging Amon not to take his bending away. Even Shiro had been attacked in the announcer's booth, despite the increased security at the Arena.

Amon had escaped with his followers,and the Arena was out of commission until further notice. Rumours floated around on the street about how Tahno had stopped going to the Noodlery, avoided everyone, and spent his days at the police headquarters, waiting for news about Amon. She hadn't seen him, when she had made the long trek to try and catch a glimpse of her fallen idol, but the whole town was abuzz that the entire team had their bending taken away. It was horrifying, and Hoshi didn't try again to find Tahno.

Of course, with the Equalists declaring their hand so openly, Jin Ho had become busier than ever, having no time for her — or Mizu, according to the infrequent calls Jin Ho made to her. She had been shocked to see him on her doorstep looking haggard, still in his uniform, wanting to talk about something. They wound up not discussing it, and Jin Ho slipped away before she woke up the next morning, citing an early morning shift.

Which was just as well. Sohee was supposed to be coming over for her first "earthbending" lesson. The young girl had picked up the duties at the shop quickly — taking and bringing orders, clearing tables. Hoshi or Umma did all of the brewing still, though Hoshi hoped to teach Sohee within the next couple of months. Her young friend was incredibly quick on the uptake, and Hoshi was thankful. She was a patient woman, usually, but wasting tea and valuable shop time was not something she could tolerate for long. To her great credit, Sohee broke less of the porcelain teaware than Hoshi did when she first started working, so that was a definite bonus.

Sohee was supposed to come a little after ten in the morning; after a good breakfast, hopefully, but late enough after to avoid cramps or getting sick from exertion. Around nine, Hoshi re-arranged the furniture in the living room, pushing everything to the far wall to clear a decent amount of space — just enough for the two of them. Foregoing the usual tea, Hoshi put some water in a pitcher. She left it at room temperature; cold water encouraged muscle cramps, she had found.

After calling to confirm the Suns knew her address and would be dropping Sohee off at ten-ish, Hoshi got ready.

She slipped into traditional Earth Kingdom clothes, something she hadn't worn in years. The fabric felt familiar and cool against her skin, and just as freeing as her skirts and dresses. She buttoned the seven buttons down the front, creating seven horizontal lines across the middle of her chest. The pants — pants! She hadn't worn pants in years! — were loose fitting, billowed out ever so slightly, and then drew together at the ankles with a ribbon. She left her feet bare — no shoes in the house! Especially not her old earthbending shoes, as they were still fairly dirty.

Looking in the mirror at her pale, olive-green ensemble, Hoshi nodded with satisfaction at her appearance, adding only the slightest hint of eyeliner to her eyes and adding two clips to the left side of her short, bobbed hair.

Turning around a few times in the mirror, she deemed herself ready and flopped down on her bed with a magazine, keeping an ear out for an expected knock at the door.
This user is Mod