The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Questioning Beliefs [tag: Fukui]

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 30, 2012 9:49:27 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Hair done, check. Shower taken, check. Clothes pressed —— Ling looked down at her clothes. They weren't pressed, no. But they didn't look that bad, did they? She turned around in Mei's full-length mirror, wondering if she ought to ask her sister for an outfit to borrow. Looking dismally at her chest, the young woman decided against it. Mei was definitely the more well-endowed of the Yao sisters, and it would take too much time to tuck things in to fit Ling properly.

It had been about five days since she had met Rayea at the Fan. Since their meeting, she had gotten the paper work for the Agency, met Hyuk-jae (and re-met him), and Mei and Iluak had gone on their date. Now, it was her turn, and she was a right mess.

Makeup? Should she wear make up? She glanced over at Mei's table, and wondered if her sister had some cosmetics. Ling squinted at her face, noting her pale complexion (in stark contrast to her freckles) was relatively smooth. She decided against any cosmetics — Ling didn't know the first thing about them, and would likely wind up doing something wrong and looking foolish.

So she wore what she always wore. A neutral brown-and-khaki ensemble: shirt, pants, and waistcoat. Her overcoat went on over the whole thing, coming to about her knees. As usual, her knives were hidden and strapped on; date or not, you never knew when you'd need to protect yourself.

She had arranged to meet Raeya at a jazz bar called Lemurland. It wasn't exactly her usual stomping grounds, but by all reports it was a lively place. Like the Fan, but with significantly less fighting and gambling. With a glance at the wall clock, Ling grabbed her keys and wallet and headed out into the night.

—-

The cab rumbled to a stop right at the entrance of the bar; stepping out, Ling could already hear the jaunty brass tunes and couldn't help but grin. She paid the driver, including a small tip, and glanced around for her date. Oh good. She was early. Or something. Trying to act casual, the freckled woman peered inside the club, trying to see if the other woman was already inside, her cowlicks bobbing as she tried to crane her neck for a better view. Not seeing her date, Ling took a deep breath and tried to look nonchalant as she leaned up against the building exterior and waited.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 3, 2012 17:30:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 3, 2012 17:30:25 GMT -6

[OOC: I really hate how one day goes by and it actually turns out to be 4 days. >.<]

Raeya was never one to get too formal--not in her own eyes anyways, but she didn't mind finding something a bit prettier than her usual getup to wear to a special occasion. Besides, it seemed that Ling was quite smitten with her. While she was unsure why, she didn't necessarily oppose the notion. being attracted to a woman--or having a woman be attracted to her--was not a new notion to Raeya either.

Raeya didn't think she had *quite* the same feelings for Ling, but there were several reasons behind this--foremost, perhaps because Ling seemed rather smitten with her. Raeya was certainly not unimpressed with the other woman, but it seemed she kept her composure slightly better. she chuckled at the thought. she had no real negative thoughts about her date--or *the* date she was going on.this was all little more than a few idle musings.

This time around she decided to wear a lighter blue, slightly more traditional Water Tribe dress and shoes. she remembered when she "obtained" it. eh... laws were for people who liked being bound down by foolish traditions or customs. there was an opening on the right side that went clear up to her hip, but she also wore an overcoat which dropped at least to her lower thigh. her clothing was simple, but not boring--just the way she liked it.

she had heard a bit about this place, Lemurland. surely she had frolicked through it at one point or another, no less, though she was more attuned to seedier places like The Fan... the drinking, the gambling... the fights. it was all good fun.
deciding to stick to her old traditions, she reached through the slit in her dress and strapped a couple of knives to her own thighs. she didn't think they'd need to be used, but who knew what sort of back-alley business she'd get into after the date? heh.

by the time she arrived, she noticed a woman standing outside waiting. hopefully she had not been there too long. Raeya strode up to her with her usual swagger, and greeted her with her happy smile and upbeat tone.
"I hope you weren't waiting too long," she cooed, "though I must say that you do look dashing tonight."

maybe dashing might not have been the greatest choice of adjectives to use, but the freckled girl certainly didn't look bad by any stretch of the imagination. 'cute' might have been a good one, but that just sounded cheesy. Maybe Raeya's humor needed to be touched up a notch.
"so," she raised her eyebrows, giving her usual charming smile again, "shall we go in?"

~Raeya~
This user is a former member

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 3, 2012 20:40:05 GMT -6

Raeya looked gorgeous. Of course she did. Ling's breath caught in her throat as the woman greeted her. "Hi," she managed to say, wondering why her normally-flirtatious tongue always decided to vacate when the waterbender addressed her. She hoped Lemurland served drinks; the freckled woman didn't think she could last the night without one.

She shrugged in what she hoped was a casual manner when Raeya asked her if she'd been waiting long. "Not particularly," she said, feeling jittery right to her toes. "The cab driver might as well have been been driving a Buffalo-yak." Ling attempted a smile, trying to calm her nerves. "I'm sorry. I'm a little nervous," she found herself admitting. ... What on earth possessed her to do that? Ah well. What's done is done. She forged ahead. "I've never uh... asked anyone out before." Sheepishly, the young woman tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "A quick romp in the hay, sure. Maybe a reoccurring thing. But dating isn't really something I'm all that familiar with." Pulling herself off the wall, Ling crossed over to the doorway and held it open for her date. "After you," she said, feeling the smile come a little easier. After you, indeed, she thought to herself.

The inside of the jazz club was loud. Not so loud that conversation was impossible, but it was definitely a lot less rowdy than the musical scenes at the Golden Fan. And there was a maître d'. Damn, this place was swanky. Ling threw back her shoulders and lifted her chin confidently. She headed for the suited older gentleman and gave a million-yuan smile, showing off that gap in her teeth. "Good evening!" she said, the brightness in her tone belying the nervousness she felt. She hadn't thought to check reservations. "Could we get a table for two, please?" Luckily, the maître d' just nodded and grabbed two menus. He gestured forward and Ling nodded her head, stepping to the side to let Raeya walk with her to the table.

Once they were seated, Ling ordered a bottle of wine to be brought to the table. As they browsed the menu, she apologised to her date again. "This isn't exactly ... a comfortable scene for me," she admitted, tapping her foot to the brassy melody. "My sister mentioned it might be a better first date than the Golden Fan..." She trailed off.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 4, 2012 7:24:42 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 4, 2012 7:24:42 GMT -6

[OOC--I know I post these all the time, but this time, I actually had 2/4 of a post done before my browser closed for some stupid update that ended up BSODing my whole computer... so yeah. I lost it all T.T]

Raeya chuckled. "well, if he was driving a buffalo-yak, then I must have been terribly slow."
perhaps Raeya's humor wasn't appropriate. either way, she chuckled at her own joke, and thought little of it if Ling--or anyone for that matter--disliked it. "whatever the case," she continued, her typical upbeat tone and smile still occupying her face, "it seems that neither of us have a need to wait for each other anymore, no? oh, and there's no need to be sorry. everyone has had a first time for anything they do , including a quick romp in the hay. don't worry, it'll be fun. trust me!"

she tried saying that encouragingly, as most of her dates were fun. After all, if it didn't sound fun, she'd decline the offer, sometimes polite--other times not so much. she trusted that Ling knew what she was doing when she had asked Raeya out. if not... well, nothing wrong with going out on a limb.

the swarthy woman nodded at Ling's remark, entering the building before her date, but waiting for her once she was inside. well, this place had some class... definitely much more than The Fan, but then again, that was the kind of seedy joint that Raeya loved--the gamblers, the drinkers, and even the brawlers. she was a bit of all three, but usually classified herself in the 3rd category. she won some, she lost some, and usually had fun anyways. still... this place was classy. the waterbender approved.

as they sat down and Lin ordered a bottle of win, Raeya swung one of her feet to the beat as well. she didn't think she'd accidentally touch Ling's feet or start playing footsies or anything, but if it happened, well, it would depend on her date's reaction. the beat was a catchy one, and Raeya always liked swinging her feet, tapping her fingers, or lightly nodding her head to a good, solid beat.

her eyes met with Ling's for a moment, and she smiled again. "I'm not complaining," she chuckled, and it grew into a hearty laugh when she mentioned the Fan. "and frankly, as long as you're not looking for a riff-raffy place, it's pretty easy to beat The Fan. I frankly like the place... but not when I'm looking for class."
she could tell that Ling was nervous though, even without her saying what she had said. She didn't want to come off as *too* forward. not everyone could be as confident as her all the time.
"but..." she added, sounding a lot gentler than frivolous this time, "if it makes you feel any better, I'm liking the date so far. Let's see what this place has to offer, shall we?"

~Raeya~

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 4, 2012 13:36:01 GMT -6

OOC: Ugh, I hate that. But I understand. Don't worry about it! Sorry this is a little short; the next post should be a little better.

Ling smiled in relief. "Oh, good," she murmured, wishing that the words would flow a bit more. Luckily, the waiter arrived with her wine choice; the freckled young woman nodded her thanks, her cowlicks bouncing up and down. She shooed the waiter away and poured some red wine for herself and her date. Raising her glass to the waterbender, she took a sip, allowing the robust, woody flavour to wash over her tastebuds before swallowing. "Nice wine," she murmured. A good choice, in hindsight; normally, Ling drank ale or a lager — but those were the drinks of rowdier establishments. It would be a lot harder to get tipsy off of wine, especially if she paced herself.

The band struck up another lively tune, and a few couples headed for the dance floor; the men were in suits of varying design - mostly pinstripe - and the women were in straight, beaded dresses and feathered headbands. Ling eyed some of the dresses, vaguely imagining them on Raeya. For some reason, she doubted they would hang quite as straight as they did on the other women. Averting her eyes, Ling smiled at her date and opened her menu.

"So... uh..." Damn. Tongue-tied again. "Do you live in Republic City? Or are you just visiting?" Ling could've kicked herself. What a boring question! Still, she hoped that the darker woman would answer favourably. There was just something about her Ling couldn't shake; something about Raeya made Ling want to be with her. It was just a strange, gut feeling — but there were very few times where her gut had steered her wrong, so Ling was inclined to listen.

She glanced over the menu. "This stuff's kind of... swanky, innit?" she muttered. "I mean, look at this: 'Roast of lambpig with a balsamic reduction'. That's just fancy talk for a thick balsamic sauce..."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 4, 2012 13:36:27 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 4, 2012 14:51:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 4, 2012 14:51:38 GMT -6

[OOC--okie dokie then ^^]

Raeya took the wine once it was poured, raising her glass with Ling. It was difficult to get the woman into a foul mood, and giving her wine was one of many ways to prevent that from happening anyways. It was definitely classier and not as strong as the stuff she was personally used to, but it was a nice kick to wash down, and she very much liked it. Frankly, she hoped to get tipsy, but wouldn't shoot for it--not this early on anyways.

she nodded her head slightly to the beat for a moment as the band hit up a lively tune, and her foot continued to shake to that beat underneath the table. Raeya liked herself a good tune. anything that sounded or felt lively and free was always easy to use to gain Raeya's approval. the less constrained she was, the happier her aura generally appeared. it was a simple rule that applied to her in almost any situation.

"So... uh... Do you live in Republic City? Or are you just visiting?" Ling asked her. it was a typical opening get-to-know-you type of question, but that did not mean it didn't have its uses. It never hurt to know a bit about the places one had been, or even the areas in which they lived. it didn't tell everything about a person by any means, but it did a lot of other things.

"I live in a small place in town," she remained smiling, "originally I thought I was just visiting, but some housing seems cheaper than I anticipated."
Her residence was certainly not anything impressive, but Raeya didn't need it to be. it was simple and served its purpose, even though some might call it a slum. that was a bit of an exaggeration, but it was definitely not one of the prettier parts of town.
"How about yourself?" she asked. it was no more of a creative reply than Ling's original question, but it served the same purpose, and creativity in one's style of inquiries was not always necessary.

a glance at the menu however, affirmed her date's words. this place was swanky... classy... there was an aura of style here, and not just in the place's style of menu-writing.
"I've never understood fancy-talk, myself," She confessed, "I've never heard people say so much while saying so little... you know?"
scanning her menu again though, a lot of these items were new to her--perhaps were some of Republic City's own doing. it was funny what sort of things, both edible and otherwise, people could create when you threw folks from all four corners of the world together into one place. That was certainly one thing Raeya liked about Ol' Republic.
her curious eyes darted around the place again, ending up looking back into Ling's eyes. she might have lived in Republic City, but she hadn't for very long, so much of it was still new to her--or rather, she didn't explore much. the seedy slums, bars, and alleyways were her usual haunts, and she had not often felt much of a need to venture out past them. this was a rare occasion, and with a pretty face looking back at her, she couldn't help but smile sweetly back at her.

~Raeya~

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 4, 2012 19:46:21 GMT -6

"It can be a useful skill to have, though," Ling said matter-of-factly. "Talking about nothing, while seeming to talk about everything — it puts people at ease, if you want them to be. Loosens their tongues." She grinned, feeling that Raeya was a kindred spirit and would understand. "Some people are just incredibly dreary about it though. I was over at City Hall a few days ago; while I was waiting to be seen, these two suits came out of an office talking about absolutely nothing. I don't even think they liked each other, but they stood there, pretending to be friends." She rolled her eyes, then glanced down at the menu again.

The prices were a little more expensive than the Fan, but they were by no means unreasonable. It was a club, so it was a little less selective about its clientèle than, say, Kuang's Cuisine. The waiter came by, and Ling ordered a small appetiser — steamed pork dumplings, and went ahead and placed the order for her entrée, the aforementioned lambpig roast, with vegetables and rice. The waiter took Raeya's order, too, then went away.

Raeya smiled at her, and Ling's heart skipped a beat. She smiled back; it was an infectious grin. "I live Downtown here," she said, finally answering the question Raeya posed. "My sister and I were born outside of the City, but we moved here when we were little. It's just Mei, Ma-ma, and me, now." The loss of her father three years prior had been difficult on Mei and Ma-ma more than Ling. It wasn't that Ling hadn't been said — she loved her father fiercely. She just had trouble expressing that sort of emotion. "We live in a three-bedroom flat above a shop. It sounds lush, but the bedrooms only fit a single-person bed and a closet full of clothes." She laughed, a light, pleasant sound. "Mei has a mirror, but that's about it. There's a small living room/kitchenette thing, and a bathroom. Not bad, but not great, either."

Ling took another sip of her wine, swirling it around just a little bit. She had heard this helped with the taste; how, she had no clue, but 'When in Ba Sing Se...'. She set her glass down, rested her right elbow on the table, and propped up her face with her fist. Not exactly a classy pose, but Ling wasn't really one for formalities. "How much of the city have you seen?" she asked her date. "It's not a very old city, but it is the capital of the United Republic. It's heralded as one of the most technologically advanced places in the world."

The younger woman hated small talk. She wanted to get to know Raeya, not Raeya's opinion of the city. But she didn't feel it would be appropriate to send a barrage of questions at the other woman.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jul 4, 2012 19:47:37 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jul 5, 2012 3:20:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 5, 2012 3:20:26 GMT -6

"ah..." she nodded, "aye, that's what I was thinking of--those fools who just drone on and on and one without ever actually saying anything. it's a great way to induce sleep if you're deprived though. sit through one meeting at City Hall, and I'm asleep for hours. then again, silly things like laws and politics are a bore anyways, so I suppose it would be expected."
it wasn't to say that she was a criminal--okay, maybe she was, but her line of work were just shady black-market businesses and some thievery, depending on the situation. people weren't going to die from a lack of yuans.

Raeya wasn't lacking in yuans either. she just didn't like unnecessarily parting with them. this, however, was not an "unnecessary" time. she made her order, and then the wait began for the appetizer, as well as their meals.
"I can't say I know the location of my own folks," she replied, "I haven't been back to the Northern Water Tribe since my 16th birthday when I left. I dare say it's a bit warmer down here though."

Raeya took a hearty shot of wine, really downing it. it was good, and she was still far from becoming tipsy. "I admit to having not seen much of it actually. my favorite haunts are the back-alley districts and other such places... so I suppose you might say I hand with the riffraff that blows in. I'm not entirely sure what that makes me... but those are the places where I have the most fun... which is why I go back. Sure, you win some and lose some, but when it all comes down, it's quite hard to beat a little rough-and-tumble brawling and some dice games. how about you? what's your interpretation of fun?"

It was certainly not a comparison of tastes, and Raeya had no intention of showing disdain for Ling's opinion even if it was the complete opposite of hers. As long as people respected her opinions, she was easily able to respect theirs. in this case, she doubted it would be an issue, and so it was more a matter of curiosity.

~Raeya~

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 11, 2012 1:33:08 GMT -6

"Are you a bender, then?" Ling asked curiously. She tried to remember if that was a stupid question; had she seen Raeya bending when they met? But the freckled girl couldn't quite remember. Maybe that knock to the head was a little harder than she had thought. "My sister's a waterbender, and our father was too. My mother isn't, I guess I take after her." She knew that her mother was of Galgori descent, but she'd never even so much as heard of the Galgori outside of her mother, so it seemed like a pointless thing to bring up. Instead, she took another sip of wine. "Doesn't really matter here, I suppose."

That wasn't exactly true, either. The city was plagued by the Triads: three large gangs comprised solely of benders. They gave the non-benders a run for their money, especially shop owners. For the most part, though, if non-benders stayed out of their way and didn't call attention to themselves, the Triads left them alone. It wasn't exactly a fair way to live, but one that most non-bender citizens had grown accustomed to or had grown up with.

She grinned anyway. "I can understand staying with the 'riff-raff', myself." Ling wasn't about to spill about her gang involvement, not yet anyway. "Most of the folks I work with down at the docks are a bit on the ruffian side."

The waiter reappeared with the steamed dumplings, setting down small plates along wit the bamboo steamer. Ling lifted the lid off of it, feeling her face flush a little in the heat. They smelled good, and the freckled woman handed Raeya a plate, splitting the order evenly between them.

Taking a bite out of her food, she talked around her mouthful, forgetting for a moment that it was generally considered impolite to do so. "Fun... hm. Well, Katsumi — the dancer from the other night — and I play a lot of cards, dice, and arm wrestling at the Fan." Ling swallowed, then took another bite, pushing it into her cheek so she could continue speaking. "But I like playing cards and gambling, even though my sister would likely prefer I didn't." She mulled her next words over as she chewed. "Maybe a recreational romp, if you know what I mean...?" Ling phrased her words carefully, trailing off. She didn't want Raeya to think that she was JUST interested in her body, though admittedly that was a factor. She would be very interested, if Raeya was too, but it wasn't a necessity.

Luckily for Ling, the food arrived and saved her from further embarrassment. She grinned when the waiter set her plate down in front of her — definitely more upscale than the Fan, but it wasn't those itty-bitty, bite-sized "portions" (if you could really call them that) she heard Kuang's served.

The band struck up another lively tune, and Ling couldn't help but tap her foot to the beat. "I love music," she said, then took an experimental bite of food. It was good! "What do you think of this whole 'jazz' thing?" the freckled woman asked her date. "My sister is big time into jazz, but I like ragtime a little more."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 15, 2012 1:57:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 15, 2012 1:57:49 GMT -6

"I am indeed." she replied, "water, as you may have figured, although a pair of hands with daggers in them is my preferred choice of fighting, if not the bare fist itself."
she made a fist and looked at it, before releasing it and continuing. "there's nothing quite like that good ol' Water Tribe stock if you ask me... though I don't tend to judge people on such things... water, earth, or fire... bender or nonbender... each one's got its good and bad sides. neither one is inherently right or inherently wrong."
she chuckled, almost musing to herself where she would fit in... probably with the riffraff, but even if so, the thought didn't bother her. some people apparently didn't like nonbenders, while others hated the benders. surely this was some silly political matter that she had no interest in. she would only care when someone tried shoving their beliefs down her throat. then it would get ugly.

Raeya smiled when Ling mentioned the riff-raff, as if her thought had triggered the other girl's words. "well, then perhaps you and I will get along just dandy then!" She beamed, "those are my kinds of crowds... especially by the docks, which is also where I work, you might say... we might have even crossed paths without even knowing it till today."

granted, Raeya's "line of work" was far more dishonest than she assumed Ling's was... but it paid her bills, and she didn't strike often. She had enough to live comfortably, but never extravagantly... too much hassle, and far too much attention.

The waiter reappeared with the steamed dumplings, setting down small plates along wit the bamboo steamer. Ling lifted the lid off of it, feeling her face flush a little in the heat. They smelled good, and the freckled woman handed Raeya a plate, splitting the order evenly between them.

Raeya took the plate, nodding a thanks before she started cleaning it. as for manners... they were more just "suggestions" rather than things that were considered rude not to follow. it didn't offend this waterbender anyways. she grinned, swallowing a rather large bite of food herself.
"cards, dice, arm-wrestling? add some drinking and brawling into the mix and there's the story of my good evening."
she chuckled sweetly after noticing Ling trail off. "recreational romp?" she raised her eyebrows, "well, if that's what I think it is, then that's definitely a great way to end any night... provided you find yourself a good enough man... or woman... or whatever takes your fancy. hopefully that sort of thing doesn't offend you."
gender wasn't much of an issue with Raeya, but it sometimes hit a sensitive nerve with some people. she wasn't about to apologize for being that way, since she was not about to take her morals and replace them with someone else's, but in the case of a friend, she could at least be polite if she had turned things awkward. if she hadn't turned anything awkward... well, more power to them both, perhaps.

Raeya eyed the food in front of her before beginning to eat. when the band kicked up another lively tune, she shook her leg to the beat. Raeya loved lively music, just as she preferred lively people, and lively venues. that was part of her reason for going to the Fan... despite the 'characters'... it was lively.
"I like them both, frankly," She nodded in response to Ling's question. "anything with a lively beat will keep me on my toes. I definitely agree with you on liking music. 'tis truly a wonderful thing."
she also chuckled again. "and I must compliment your choice in ordering," She indicated, given that she had ordered the same thing as her date, "it's rather divine, if I say so myself."
she grinned. so far, she was having a good time, which was quite beneficial to her approval of Ling.

~Raeya~
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 15, 2012 1:58:58 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 16, 2012 5:29:05 GMT -6

She paused mid-bite as Raeya pointed out their identical choices. It took a split second for it to sink in, but when it did, she laughed. Hard. It wasn't really that funny, though, and as she cracked up she waved her hands stammering out an apology between stifled peals of laughter. "I'm-—- I'm sorry," she gasped. Maybe it was just the stress of the whole endeavour finally coming to a head that affected her; it had been an ordeal, working up the nerve to ask an obviously confidant woman --who could have her pick of suitors, male, female, and/or something in between-- out to dinner. Truth be told, she didn't even know what she wanted out of this outing. A second date? A romp? Both? Ling wasn't exactly one to make concrete future plans; she knew better than most that time was a shifting, ever-changing thing, free from the rules and expectations of people. For instance, none of the Yaos expected Kuan-yin to die. It had shook them all in different ways; he was supposed to be there for them — Ling had foolishly and naively though her father was invincible. Time, clearly, had other plans.

Wiping tears of mirth from her eyes and still murmuring apologies for her awkward laughter, Ling stared down at her food, marvelling at how she and Raeya seemed so much alike. The other woman seemed a little more... worldly, perhaps, but their interests and hobbies and even their first choice of meal together were identical. Raeya didn't seem like the type to settle down, though; Ling wasn't entirely sure if she was either. At the very least, though, the two could have fun before one of them moved on. The freckled woman wondered, briefly, if there could be more... but that bridge would have to be crossed once they got there. At the very least, before Ling could even broach the topic, they needed a ... 'trial run' so to speak, of an activity most commonly reserved for the bedroom. It wouldn't do to be compatible socially but not physically. Sometimes the initial attraction was not well reciprocated, or reciprocated to Ling's liking. Sometimes, they stayed friends; other times, it just became awkward and Ling moved on, leaving them behind with little regret or sorrow.

She took a few eager bites of her meal; she hadn't realised just quite how hungry she was. Her mouth full, she glanced around the jazz bar and noticed for the first time that the decor was quite neutral, leaning towards modern and influenced little by traditional 'national' design. It was also on the shabby side; not too much, but it was clear this set-up had been designed to attract customers and was infrequent. The tables were collapsible, the floor and bits of the wall worn. Perhaps she had been to nervous to notice it before. Still, she commended Lemurland for trying to at least do SOMEthing to pick up business.

It seemed to be working, a little; the joint was no where near capacity, but it definitely had the din of a 'proper' club. Ling looked at the band, and as if waiting for her glance they began to play a slower tune — still jaunty and positive, but not as rapid as the one preceding. The freckled woman cleared her throat, bouncing her leg under the table anxiously. "Say, Raeya," she said nervously. "How'd'y'feel about a dance?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 16, 2012 17:48:21 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 16, 2012 17:48:21 GMT -6

Raeya simply chuckled again. "no need to worry," she reassured her friend, "I'm not exactly quiet when something bothers me, and nothing you've done thus far fits that bill."
she grinned. sure Ling was having a good amount of awkward moments, but Raeya found them cute and slightly amusing more than anything. she certainly didn't find them annoying. it seemed Ling was rather stricken with her, and while Raeya herself didn't act in such ways, she knew that it made people stutter and fumble with their words. As long as people didn't feel a need to point out Raeya's flaws, she felt no need to point pout the flaws of others. besides, she knew that she was one of the more confident individuals out there. she'd be fair to those without that talent.

Ling had mentioned romping, and Raeya had heard the term many times before, sometimes in different forms, but whatever the form, the meaning seemed to persist. This would certainly not be her first time, (or her last), but she was definitely fine with it. she knew that it would be a tricky question to ask, and so she needed to convey that she was giving the green light for it without popping it out at the wrong time. it could definitely kill a moment if presented incorrectly. Oh well... she'd wait it out, as she was in no hurry. while the prospect did sound fun, it wasn't like she was bored at the moment either.

Raeya continued eating, still swinging one of her feet to the beat of the song that was playing. she looked up when she heard Ling speak again.
she swallowed her food. "I love the idea." she smiled, "I'd personally like to finish my food so I don't come back to a cold plate, but if you're willing to wait till then, then you've got yourself a dance!"
she was more than half-done at this point anyways, and so it wouldn't be long. Freedom one was of a few virtues that Raeya highly cherished, and the free movements of certain dance forms were certainly on her list of likes. she continued eating, realizing how hungry she was after remembering that booze and barfights didn't exactly help one's hunger too well. still, this was a nice break from the ol' grind and Raeya hoped her date was enjoying it at least as much as she was.

~Raeya~

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 21, 2012 2:51:37 GMT -6

OOC: some slight NPCing, I couldn't progress the story without having Raeya finish. I'll leave it as open-ended as possible though!

Ling nodded politely, and tried to pace herself as she finished the rest of her food too, matching her tempo with Raeya's so they would finish together. She tried to hide her smile at the thought, thinking of other things too. The food was good, but now that Raeya had agreed to dance the freckled woman could barely taste it, eating almost mechanically as she surreptitiously tried to gauge how much food the waterbender had left.

By the time the band struck up another tune, Raeya completed her meal, and Ling stuffed the last bitefull of her's in her mouth. Washing it down with a quick, unrefined gulp of wine, and stood from her seat, moving around the table to Raeya's end and holding out her hand.

When Raeya took it, Ling lead the beautiful woman to the dance floor, ignoring the glances — with some open-mouthed stares mixed in — of the other dancers already there. Without asking, Ling assumed the lead, more comfortable in a role more traditionally associated with 'a man's place'. She lifted the hand already holding Raeya's, placed her other hand on the woman's waist, and began to lead her around the dance floor in time with the music. She leaned her head in just slightly so Raeya could hear her over the music.

"My father and mother used to dance all the time," she said as box-stepped to the beat. "Father taught Mei and me, though Mei took a much keener interest in it than I did." Silently, Ling begged Lady Luck to not let her step on Raeya's feet. "Where did you learn how to dance?" she queried, feeling somehow that Raeya might have dabbled in a little bit of everything ever. The other woman seemed so worldly, so... travelled. For someone like Ling, who had been raised on the 'mainland' of the United Republic of Nations / Earth Kingdom, the waterbender seemed so detached from the people she normally associated. Something about her seemed wiser and learned, yet at the same time more carefree and perhaps devil-may-care.

It was intriguing. Alluring. Ling didn't know why she had taken such a shine to the woman, feeling such a heavy crush so instantly with just a moment's glance, but if she had to guess it would be that. Raeya wasn't just a beautiful woman; she was dangerous and moved like the wind, never staying in the same place for long. She thrilled Ling, to her very core.

It was not a wholly unwelcome feeling.

A trumpet sounded in her ear, and suddenly Ling realised she had danced almost next to the stage. She grinned sheepishly, steering them back to the centre of the floor. "Sorry about that!" she apologised. "You were saying?
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 21, 2012 5:40:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 21, 2012 5:40:43 GMT -6

[OOC--it's all good. I'm generally pretty lenient with that sort of thing anyways, especially on literate sites such as this one.]
[OOC2--whoa this post was longer than I thought. o.o]

Raeya continued eating, still swinging her foot to the beat. She was not keeping track of her own pace, just eating as she went along, finishing when she would. it just happened that she finished at the last seconds of the band's song. when she looked back up at Ling, she was close to finishing as well. either one or both of them had good timing... or something. the waterbender thought little of it.

Ling seemed quite eager to dance. Raeya's enthusiasm was not shared, but only because she felt no need to rush into it. Had she been against the idea, she would have said so flat-out. If there was any reluctance... heh. reluctance was a silly thing that Raeya knew nothing about. She was either game for doing something, or wasn't. She took a classy shot of wine before standing and taking her date's hand. all in all, the wait had only been a few seconds. there was a difference in not wanting to rush, versus being rude.

Raeya's confident stride did not cease even out on the dancefloor. Shame, like reluctance, was a foreign concept to her. She was a firm believer in her old mantra: "say what you mean, mean what you say; do what you mean, mean what you do." No in-betweens here.

Her eyes curiously darted around just to get a good look at the place, the dancers, and the band, but she didn't mind their expressions or reactions. It was just a sense of curiosity. She also enjoyed the sense of touch, and so having her hand held was one of the small things in life that she took joy in. moreover, feeling the hand on her hip gave her the same happy tingle. as bold as the waterbender usually was, in situations like this, she identified better with her gender and affinitive element, going with the flow like water, and, as the case may be, retaining her female role. it was obviously much easier to do when her partner was male, but in this case, it seemed that the two of them preferred opposite roles, and so there was no problem to speak of.

The dark-skinned woman nodded to acknowledge that she was paying attention to her partner and had heard what she had said. as for Ling's question... well, Raeya had technically never learned to dance... not by traditional standards anyways. She had her own variation that she followed, which usually just went by the beat of the song. Of course, ti wasn't like she had never seen dancing, so she had ideas of a few moves, but close enough observation of her steps and movements would serve as evidence that she was freestyling it.

"To be honest," she replied, giving her commonplace friendly chuckle, "I just observed. It built the framework, and I freestyled the rest. It's how I learned most of my skills, really. I pick up the basics from observation, throw a little trial and error into the fun, and top it off with some Sakagami-style."
Her first name... now that was something she didn't mention often, although that was simply because she preferred being addressed by her middle name. two syllables rolled off the tongue easier than four, but "Sakagami-style" had a better ring to it--probably that alliteration. If Ling asked about it, she wouldn't mind explaining. it was just a name, and Raeya was not ashamed of hers.

A trumpt sounded in Ling's ear, and Raeya couldn't help but chuckle. While things *were* in fact always funnier when they happened to someone else, no harm had been done here, and the waterbender would have very likely given that same laugh if it had been her ear that the trumpet blared in.
"no worries... no harm done." she nodded. "I was just saying that freestyle is my weapon of choice when learning skills... although now that I stop and think, I just realized that I must sound utterly disinterested... how rude of me to not ask questions about you, myself. I apologize."
Raeya let out another chuckle, because this type of silly rhetoric was just her preferred way of communication. she doubted that any harm was done in her lack of asking questions, but she did want to ask a few about her date as well. After all, she was far from disinterested, for if she truly lacked interest, she would not be here.

"So what inspired you to ask me out?" she asked with a curious smile. it was a very bold question, and Raeya was well-aware that not everyone could answer it as confidently as she would have been able to. "surely it wasn't my bleeding nose or my purple eye sockets now, was it?"
keeping the mood light was a linguistic weapon of choice for Raeya, especially in potentially tricky inquiries like this. It usually just gave off the message that such curiosities were not about to shake the waterbender's opinion of the person answering them, and that they were just curious remarks. All the while, she continued the dance. most of the time her eyes focused on her partner, but too much eye contact usually got awkward, especially when a question was asked, and so she kept a careful balance. there was certainly no need to alienate such a friendly woman.

~Raeya~
Last edit by Deleted: Jul 21, 2012 5:41:08 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 2, 2012 13:21:20 GMT -6

OOC: Sorry this is a little short. As per our PM convo, I'm going to wind this down just a little so Raeya and Ling can spend a little more time getting to know each other. :] Thanks for your patience!

—-

So what inspired you to ask me out? Surely it wasn't my bleeding nose or my purple eye sockets, now was it?

"Actually..." Ling grinned teasingly, "I thought they were lovely additions to your Water Tribe garb." She laughed, then shook her head. "No. Truth be told, I didn't even notice them, not really. You were just amazing, though. Beautiful, sultry, and just a hint of power radiated from you." She paused, feeling slightly sellf-conscious. "I was struck by your looks, then your nonchalance at my own predicament and beat-up face."

Ling moved her arm to spin Raeya out, then reel her back in. When the other woman thudded softly against her chest on the return spin, the freckled woman felt her heart do a little flip-flop. "Thank you for saying yes," she said suddenly. "Even if this doesn't go beyond the bedroom--" Ling felt she might as well be frank; it was definitely on her mind, though Raeya was intriguing enough to want something more, "--I think this was a good experience." She fumbled over the words, feeling as though they sounded wooden. A good experience? Something about the waterbender made Ling's silver tongue feel like lead.

She tried to smile brightly. "What I mean to say is that you seem like such a wonderful woman, and I am making an arse out of myself by moving perhaps a little too quickly and too forwardly. You seem like the kind of woman that I could spend years trying to get to know, and there would always be a little something new tucked just out of sight, waiting to be discovered." She moved to dip Raeya in time with the music, her well-conditioned muscles fully capable of supporting the other woman's weight. "And I'd like to take it easy, and not mess things up."
This user is Mod
Last edit: Sept 2, 2012 13:22:09 GMT -6
Anonymous
Sept 18, 2012 16:42:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Sept 18, 2012 16:42:52 GMT -6

[OOC--sorry it took so long... life, laziness, and the pursuit of... erm, yeah. xP]

Raeya chuckled. "well," she joked, "I suppose the absence of unsavory blemishes only improves the situation, no?"
her playful tone subsided slightly, replacing itself with a more friendly demeanor upon hearing her other remark though. it made her smile, especially because it was sincere. that was perhaps what she enjoyed the most about it.
"although, I do love me some sincerity. thank you."

Raeya seemed to enjoy the dance with its twirls and movements, and she grinned sweetly as their chests thudded against one another. "my pleasure," She replied, "I'm glad you asked me; this has been an enjoyable night and I wouldn't take back a moment of it."
she didn't seem bothered by the mention of the bedroom; at this point she had nearly anticipated it, and didn't think that it had to be the end, nor that it would have to imply that there was some deeper commitment between the two.

she listened sincerely to Ling's words; her proposition. it made sense to her, especially because she was not the type to go so readily into commitments, let alone on the first date.
"I am fine with such an offer." she replied, "there's no reason to take on everything all at once, or to move so swiftly. I'm fine with taking whatever pace you feel is right."
she said that because she had had faster relationships and slower ones alike, and everyone had different preferences. Raeya's own range of preferences was wider than most people's, which was why she left the choice to her partner.

~Raeya~

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Sept 28, 2012 3:50:09 GMT -6

OOC: No problem. :] I'm a little thankful to have a thread that I can take easy. xD

——

She gave the waterbender a grateful smile, flashing the gap between her teeth. "Thanks," Ling murmured, feeling very lucky to have met such an understanding woman. The song ended, and she brought the other woman back up and clapped politely. "What say we go have a seat again? I'm suddenly thirsty." She held out her hand to lead Raeya back to the table.

When they were seated again, the young woman was surprised to notice they had been at Lemurland for an hour already. Where did the time go? She flagged down a waitress and asked for a glass of water. It arrived moments later, and despite being on a date Ling couldn't help but glance appreciatively at the waitress's swaying gait as she walked away. Guiltily, she ducked her head and grinned sheepishly at Raeya. "Sorry about that," she said, feeling like any explanation would just sound even more stupid out loud than it already did in her head.

Ling took a nice gulp of water, feeling very foolish. The water was refreshing after the dance, but it didn't wash away her embarassment.

"So, ah..." she struggled to find a topic, any topic, to steer it away from her faux pas. "Did you have any trouble with figuring out what kinds of people you were interested in?" Smooth, Ling. She pressed on, feeling each word like a nail in her dating coffin. "I struggled with it for a while, and how to tell my family, but they wound up being pretty okay with it."

She could have kicked herself. What if Raeya's family HADN'T been okay with it? She shrank in her seat. "Um... you don't have to answer that if you don't want to." The young woman was mortified - a rare occurence, but becoming more commonplace as the night went on it seemed. "I have this habit of being a bit of an arse."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Nov 16, 2012 15:24:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Nov 16, 2012 15:24:35 GMT -6

[OOC--hoo-ah. I... am sorry. >.<]

Raeya returned the smile, a gentle, but sincere expression on her face.
"you're welcome." she nodded, agreeing with her partner's suggestion and taking Ling's hand so they could return to their table. She too asked for a bit of water, and her eyes both darted to the appearance of the waitress, and to the appearance of Ling. she noticed she was staring as well, which made two of them. that sort of thing didn't bother Raeya. commitment had never been her strong suit.

"No offense taken," she chuckled lightly at Ling's apology as she took a sip of water. as 'free' as she was, she could not stand being a hypocrite, which is exactly what she felt like she would be if she ever called anyone out on a thing like that. it was just not in Raeya's nature.

she took another drink. water was always cool and refreshing to her mouth; the substance of life; and her elemental affinity, even if it was not her weapon of choice. her lack of skill was not for her inability to do such, but simply for a lack of trying. she preferred knives.

Raeya listened to the question presented to her, and chuckled. she hadn't heard from her family in a while, and had more or less fled from traditions in the Northern Water Tribe before coming here.
"I never had much trouble," she replied calmly, "then again, I've never really been too picky. Men... Women... some like one, some like the other, and a few such as me, like both. I see nothing wrong with it, because right and wrong are just illusions."

One area where Raeya exuded confidence was in her own personality. she was never afraid to state her beliefs in a forward, shameless manner. she never expected everyone to agree with her, or to do the same, but she respected other people's beliefs as long as they respected hers.
"So..." she lowered her voice slightly, "if it's not too personal, may I ask what your tastes are, as far as genders go. Don't feel pressured to answer that either if you don't like. I can at least repay that good turn."
she chuckled at her own joke. her question was simply one out of curiosity, though it was a deep question. while she hoped for an answer, it was unlikely that she would be upset if she did not get one.

~Raeya~

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 2, 2012 14:50:02 GMT -6

The question was not one wholly unexpected, but Ling was still taken aback. She inhaled as she took a sip of water, choking from the conflicting directives. "S-sorry!" she managed to choke out, covering her mouth with the linen napkin. She waved her hand. "I'm all right, I'm all right."

Clearing her throat and taking another (more careful) sip of water, Ling pondered the question. "Well," she began slowly. "I'd have to say women. I can spot a good-looking man well enough, but there's just nothing there, no ... oomph, if you will." She gestured, drawing her shoulders back and pushing her hands forward, palm up, back and forth. Ling smiled a little, thinking back to her first girlfriend; they had met shortly after her thirteenth birthday. It hadn't lasted long, and it certainly wasn't the most romantic relationship in the world, but it was a very special memory.

She looked up at Raeya and smiled just a bit more. "That's not to say I've never flirted with a man, or anything." The freckled woman shrugged lightly. "Sometimes it gets the yuans flowing a little more, you know?"

Ling stopped short as a waitress came up, holding two slim black folders. "Would you like some dessert, ladies?" the waitress queried politely.

She looked at Raeya. "D'you want anything?" Part of Ling hoped the woman would say yes. The date was going pleasantly enough, even if she had been a bit of a rushed tit to get here. The other part of her hoped Raeya would say no, so she could go home and soothe her strung-out nerves with a cup of tea and a good, long chat with Mei.

"My treat, of course."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jan 20, 2013 13:34:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jan 20, 2013 13:34:25 GMT -6

Raeya smiled, having never been one to be terribly judgmental. "no problem." she chuckled, shrugging, "it happens to the best of us... just don't choke and die now, y'hear?"
a lighthearted sense of humor was seldom harmful, and Raeya did not think that this incident would break that trend.

She listened to Ling's story with a bit of respect. it was one thing not to judge, but to be a good listener was another of Raeya's skills. This was the type of easy-going attitude that made Raeya rather easy to get along with.
"A fair enough stance," she nodded truthfully once Ling had finished. "I honestly cannot say that I have a preference between the two of them. "
she had explained the rest already, and so felt no need to repeat herself.

the conversation was diverted when the waitress stopped by again. Never being the one to turn down an offer for something free of charge, Raeya nodded. "dessert would be lovely, thank you."
she turned to Ling. "and thank you." she winked playfully.

Some might have had a qualm against being a freeloader, but even if this situation qualified as such, Raeya was not sorry for it at all. Her lack of a "delusion of right and wrong" as she often put it, was what set her apart in that regard.

~Raeya~
Last edit by Deleted: Jan 20, 2013 13:37:16 GMT -6