The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

[Spoilers] Episode 10

Anonymous
Jun 22, 2012 14:42:05 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 22, 2012 14:42:05 GMT -6

...I think they meant Zuko's daughter, who's now the Fire Lord. Iroh's Zuko's grandson, so he's the Fire Lord's son, so he's a prince.

The Fire Lord's daughter, whom I hope is voiced by Grey DeLisle (voice of Azula... and Asajj Ventress in the first Clone Wars series). I seriously want her and Jennifer Hale (voice of Jun and Kyoshi... and fem-Shepard) to be back in this !!
This user is a former member
hotaru
Jun 22, 2012 14:48:44 GMT -6

Post by hotaru on Jun 22, 2012 14:48:44 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
joychmi Avatar
...I think they meant Zuko's daughter, who's now the Fire Lord. Iroh's Zuko's grandson, so he's the Fire Lord's son, so he's a prince.

The Fire Lord's daughter, whom I hope is voiced by Grey DeLisle (voice of Azula... and Asajj Ventress in the first Clone Wars series). I seriously want her and Jennifer Hale (voice of Jun and Kyoshi... and fem-Shepard) to be back in this !!

I wasn't sure if Zuko had died by now :l but if he is I have General Iroh to listen to now
This user is a guest
azn
Jun 22, 2012 15:36:59 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 22, 2012 15:36:59 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Lin quickly became one of my favorite characters, and I legit almost cried when she was on her knees in front of Amon. You just know what's coming next.

Again, almost cried, this time from LAUGHTER, when Meelo comes in with more Fart-bending ^_^ lol (and the slow motion RAAWWR!)
PS: the avatar's granddaughters remind me a lot of Mai and Ty Lee. Their entrance was a little campy, still, Team grAangchildren was awesome.

I have to say that the whole book feels rushed. I know it wasn't even supposed to be a full-length sequel, but since they DECIDED to make it legit (at least for 1 book) they could have done a little more development. In it's lack of character development, I'm hoping the hour-long season finale is at least 15 minutes of straight bend-fighting, or I will be disappointed :(
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 22, 2012 16:08:12 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
azn Avatar
Lin quickly became one of my favorite characters, and I legit almost cried when she was on her knees in front of Amon. You just know what's coming next.

Again, almost cried, this time from LAUGHTER, when Meelo comes in with more Fart-bending ^_^ lol (and the slow motion RAAWWR!)
PS: the avatar's granddaughters remind me a lot of Mai and Ty Lee. Their entrance was a little campy, still, Team grAangchildren was awesome.

I have to say that the whole book feels rushed. I know it wasn't even supposed to be a full-length sequel, but since they DECIDED to make it legit (at least for 1 book) they could have done a little more development. In it's lack of character development, I'm hoping the hour-long season finale is at least 15 minutes of straight bend-fighting, or I will be disappointed :(

This comment kind of annoys me, actually. Not you as a person, but I keep hearing this / seeing this online. Do you guys realise how much work each episode is? Literally thousands upon thousands of finished pictures per frame, not including any CGI they have to do for the vehicle / airship scenes! As someone who deals with only still pictures, let me tell you that having to do in-between frams for animation is extremely time-consuming and difficult. Mike and Bryan talk about the animation process (second link). Keep in mind that they also have to send a lot of the work to their Korean studio — who still operates in traditional art methods.

A single episode, including voice work, can take anywhere up to eight months to produce! Considering the fact that it was originally meant to be a mini-series, I think they're doing a bang-up job extending it, and have confidence that they will fix most of the plot holes in Season Two.

Keep in mind, as well, that in twelve episodes they have to set up another War in its entirety. Unlike the War in AtLA, this hasn't had 100 years to become common place! It's happening NOW, and seventy years since we last saw the world, so they have to do villain exposition, main character exposition, ability exposition for multiple characters, era exposition, relationship exposition, history exposition — all the while trying to keep an interesting show with no lag to justify a second season, when so many shows are being cancelled.

Being disappointed there isn't xyz sequence or information or whatever that lasts x amount of time —- just go with it for now. It's not done, we have another 12 episodes after the season break. Judge it as a complete product, and try and give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 22, 2012 16:09:53 GMT -6
azn
Jun 22, 2012 16:43:00 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 22, 2012 16:43:00 GMT -6

Guest Avatar

A single episode, including voice work, can take anywhere up to eight months to produce! Considering the fact that it was originally meant to be a mini-series, I think they're doing a bang-up job extending it, and have confidence that they will fix most of the plot holes in Season Two.

Keep in mind, as well, that in twelve episodes they have to set up another War in its entirety. Unlike the War in AtLA, this hasn't had 100 years to become common place! It's happening NOW, and seventy years since we last saw the world, so they have to do villain exposition, main character exposition, ability exposition for multiple characters, era exposition, relationship exposition, history exposition — all the while trying to keep an interesting show with no lag to justify a second season, when so many shows are being cancelled.

Being disappointed there isn't xyz sequence or information or whatever that lasts x amount of time —- just go with it for now. It's not done, we have another 12 episodes after the season break. Judge it as a complete product, and try and give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Yes, I know a full-length (that is, a season) multi-media production takes time and required a lot of artistry and such. Even with the amazing amount of technology available for artists, the content has to be fabricated on a blank canvas.

What I do not like, though, is not THAT it became a full-length series out of an idea for a mini-series, but HOW (in my opinion) they are going about it. It is almost like they took the already made episodes of a mini-series and decided to tack on more episodes and call it a full show. NO, that is 2 separate products right there.

If they got such a positive feedback, enough to turn a mini into a full series, then they could have scrapped the mini and started over. I dunno, maybe I'ts just me, but I'd rather WAIT for a full finished product.
Unfortunately, It is an industry and industries have deadlines. In order to meet those deadlines, It feels like the creators made quick changes so that it would make sense for a continuation, but are only thinking about real story-making for the next 2 books.
I think my problem is that I have a full 3-book amaze-balls Avatar to compare this one to. I already have an expectation of a squeal to a children's cartoon that was so beautifully written that it attracted audiences of all ages.
What TLOK is offering, IMO, is a 1 book teaser and a 2 book show.

THAT BEING SAID:

I love the show. I love the people making the show. I love the faux-historical accuracy in the art of the show. The architectures, technology, culture, the characters, even the probending; Everything makes a small hint at the old series is such beautifully subtle ways.
though not up to par with book 1 of ATLA (again, in my humble opinion), i think TLOK has a great start and I REALY look forward to the next seasons.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 22, 2012 16:52:25 GMT -6

I don't think that's their fault though. =/ It might be, but Nick / Viacom I think has the final say whether or not they could 'scrap' the series they had started and tried to make a cohesive show. Even if we would rather wait, even if they would rather wait, sometimes they just can't. It's not necessarily them being lazy about it.

Like I said, I think that we should give them the benefit of the doubt, at least for now. I'm willing to see where they go with it.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 22, 2012 16:52:36 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 22, 2012 16:52:36 GMT -6

You, good sir, have awfully high expectations. Which is not what I'd call a problem, just fan-tasy. But you're exaggerating when you call it a one book teaser. It's more like a one book prologue in my opinion. I mean, we still don't know how it's going to end, I'm still thinking they could go Deus Ex Machina on Amon and introduce a bigger badder guy/plot for the second season, one that was always there but concealed by the Equalists' movement - and that is only one example of the many theories surrounding... the Aftermath, as I like to call it. *bows*

EDIT: Regardless of the theories, it feels like a prologue because it's this amazing bit of story that makes you want more, and you know more is coming... But it's a real bit of story. Or you could argue semantics with me and say that a prologue is more or less a teaser, and I might hate you for that ^^ *bows*
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 22, 2012 16:54:37 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 22, 2012 16:56:06 GMT -6

hotaru Avatar

Technically, yes. Not necessarily the crown prince though.

He's too young to be Zuko's son though. He has to be his grandson, right? If he was his son then he'd be around Tenzin and Lin's age.

He is confirmed to be the grandson, yes. As Joychi mentioned, Zuko is no longer the Fire Lord — he stepped down from the throne about three years prior to the start of Korra in favour of his daughter, who is now the Fire Lord.

hotaru Avatar
I wasn't sure if Zuko had died by now :l but if he is I have General Iroh to listen to now

Zuko is alive, yes. He works as a sort of Ambassador of peace.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 22, 2012 17:00:29 GMT -6
azn
Jun 22, 2012 23:55:27 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 22, 2012 23:55:27 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Did anyone notice that Mako didn't do the waterbending-styled redirection of lightning? He sorta just absorbs it and then shoots it back out rather crudely...
This user is a guest
salv
Jun 23, 2012 2:15:57 GMT -6

Post by salv on Jun 23, 2012 2:15:57 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
azn Avatar
Did anyone notice that Mako didn't do the waterbending-styled redirection of lightning? He sorta just absorbs it and then shoots it back out rather crudely...

Oh, I noticed. He used the basic principle, at least: in one arm, presumably through his 'sea of chi', I think it was called, and out the other. I'm more worried about how he knows such an exclusive skill in the first place. With lightning generation being more common, lightning redirection wouldn't bee too far behind, either, I suppose...
This user is a guest
Last edit by salv: Jun 23, 2012 2:22:09 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 23, 2012 2:55:04 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 23, 2012 2:55:04 GMT -6

That would be one way to see it, though lightning redirection is more accessible to Firebenders than lightning bending. To bend lightning you need to be at peace with yourself and able to make positive and negative energies collide then guide that energy. But redirecting lightning only involves letting it flow. You have a higher chance of dying, though >.>

Maybe Mako uses another way - a new way - of redirecting lightning. It's easy to forget that things tend to evolve from the gAang era... Or maybe it's because it was electricity and not natural lightning, or bent lightning. Or, my favorite, maybe it's because the electricity shocked him before he actually redirected it. I offer you this (not) wisdom. *bows*
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 23, 2012 3:22:59 GMT -6