The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

[Spoilers] Episode 10

kaitokatashi
Jun 16, 2012 13:43:38 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jun 16, 2012 13:43:38 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Wow. The team behind LoK have no end to the ways they've surprised me in this episode.

- Lin is pretty much the most BA character in the show, IMO. She was willing to get over her past drama with Tenzin to protect Pema and the kids, even going so far as to sacrifice herself so that Tenzin and his family could get away from the Equalists. The Metalbending against the airships was definitely one of the most impressive displays of Metalbending (and perhaps bending in general) I've ever seen, and it broke my heart when Amon took her bending away.

- Tenzin DID do an amazing job raising his kids. I never expected that the wee ones would display such a prowess with Airbending, and the fact that they saved Lin on the island endeared them to me even further.

- Asami's jealously toward Mako and Korra makes me wonder if she'll betray them; after all, what else could make her harbor a resentment for benders?

- Am I crazy, or did I hear Dante Basco as the voice of GENERAL IROH?!

Unfortunately, this is the last episode before the one-hour season finale next Saturday. :(

<Kami edit;; link to episode ten is here for US residents.>
This user is a guest
Last edit: Jun 19, 2012 3:01:55 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 16, 2012 13:52:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 16, 2012 13:52:38 GMT -6

I have really only one thing to say about this episode.

THE AIRBENDING CHILDREN KICK SERIOUS BACKSIDE. :D

I mean, they beat the hell out of those Equalists. Full grown, trained men and women got their hats handed to them by kids of the age ten and under. How much more B.A can these kids be?! As Meelo's player, I swear I will use fartbending far more often in my posts with him. It is quite obviously lethal. xD

You were not the only one to hear his voice, Mizu, I heard it too! It took me quite off guard. And I was thinking that exact thing about Asami myself. :)
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 16, 2012 13:54:32 GMT -6
hotaru
Jun 16, 2012 13:58:03 GMT -6

Post by hotaru on Jun 16, 2012 13:58:03 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
ALL MY FEEEEEEELS

Lin getting her bending taken away was so perfectly done but also so heartbreaking. She went out like a boss, though. She protected Tenzin and his family, took down a ship and half of another, and best of all, she lost her bending with dignity. There was no crying or begging, just a resignation.

And then immediately after that, Dante freaking Basco returns as General Iroh. I don't even know how to describe my reaction to that moment.
This user is a guest
jin
Jun 16, 2012 15:15:31 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 16, 2012 15:15:31 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
This episode , what better way to describe it then amazing? I was enthralled, constantly checking my laptop to see how much time was left because I just didn't want it to end. This episode had me laughing at Pema's face when she left for Mako and Asami to talk, almost crying man-tears at the way Lin told Amon to shove it, and had me amped the way Tenzin, his kids, and how Lin bended to take out the enemy.

Everything was right about this episode, but we at least have confirmation of one thing. Zuko is not dead. That is mostly obviously his son, and he was not referred to as "Fire Lord" Iroh. I knew that Dante was voicing someone, and was really hoping to see Zuko in his throne but when Iroh came into view, and I herd him talk, I was just excited. Honestly I was really upset that this book is only one twelve episodes long, but looking at it now — it's been paced perfectly, and I don't see how it could have been done any better.

Next week, I'm calling it now, Korra is going into the avatar state when Amon tries to take her bending (We saw he at least tries in the trailer for the hour long finale). I'd personally like to see JUST Aang take control over Korra's body, but I understand that it would be all of the past lives together.

10/10 for a legit review, but 20/10 for my personal opinion. It far exceeded my expectations.
This user is a guest
Last edit by jin: Jun 16, 2012 15:16:01 GMT -6
kaitokatashi
Jun 16, 2012 15:39:14 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jun 16, 2012 15:39:14 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
hotaru Avatar
ALL MY FEEEEEEELS

Lin getting her bending taken away was so perfectly done but also so heartbreaking. She went out like a boss, though. She protected Tenzin and his family, took down a ship and half of another, and best of all, she lost her bending with dignity. There was no crying or begging, just a resignation.

And then immediately after that, Dante freaking Basco returns as General Iroh. I don't even know how to describe my reaction to that moment.

I was amazed at the grace with which she accepted her fate once Amon got his hands on her. Her simpy closing her eyes said volumes about her character.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 16, 2012 16:01:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 16, 2012 16:01:57 GMT -6

I think this episode just showed us why the Fire Nation needed the power of Sozin's Comet to wipe out the Air Nomads: FARTBENDING PWNS !!!- I mean, even Airbending kids are dangerous when protecting their own. Imagine a whole temple of them...

This episode was the most stressing I have ever seen in all of the Avatar universe. I swear, every thirty seconds I was like "Oh man !" or "Oh sh*t !!" or even "No, no, nonononono !!!" It was breathtaking. I think I pretty much hate Mako, now. Not too sure, I wish he could have explained himself so that I'd be sure - though he redirected lightning, so I can't dislike him that much. Tenzin, asking his ex to watch over his family, that was just such a cute moment... Though I can't believe Meelo still needs to be changed despite being around five years old. I mean, he's like a master airbender now !!

The Fire Nation council member's abduction was rather... funny. I feel like it softened me up for the rest of the invasion to really have an impact. I was really scared about Tenzin for a moment, but then he just pulls out his Hazmat Airbending and I'm relieved. HE'S THE MAN !!!

Was anybody else's jaw gaping at the mecha-magnets ? I think I cried on the inside, the ingenuity blew my mind. Afterwards I was mostly moved by the Lin moments. From the moment Jinora let out what's probably going to become the most legendary quote of all times, I did not dare check how much time was left. But... I feel real bad for Lin. I was posting lots of stuff about her during the day, so I felt like I had jinxed her when I saw her before Amon. I know it's not my fault but Q.Q

I'm now scared about the season finale. I want to watch it so bad, but I don't know if I want to see what happens next. I mean, the first General Iroh took back Ba Sing Se with allied forces, so I'm not worried about our new general - and holy crap, they've got wires, it makes them even more awesome - but I can already foresee that there's going to be a "Yue Harbor". And I don't see this going well without Tenzin or Lin.

Lastly... Asami, the angry girlfriend. Lurved it ^^ *bows*
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 17, 2012 12:45:20 GMT -6
hotaru
Jun 17, 2012 14:27:19 GMT -6

Post by hotaru on Jun 17, 2012 14:27:19 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
joychmi Avatar

I think I pretty much hate Mako, now. Not too sure, I wish he could have explained himself so that I'd be sure - though he redirected lightning, so I can't dislike him that much.

Yeah, Mako's character has been losing popularity a lot recently and this episode really didn't help. I wish they could've played with his character in the confrontation with Asami. Like, how because he lost his parents he doesn't want to lose a good friend like Korra and that's why he's been so protective of her. On the other hand, Asami's been going up in my book. She really shined in this episode, I just hope she doesn't turn evil in the next season because of Mako's stupidity.
This user is a guest
yakone
Jun 17, 2012 15:28:50 GMT -6

Post by yakone on Jun 17, 2012 15:28:50 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I still don't trust Tarrlok. Isn't it odd that he is the ONLY individual to be shown about to have his bending taken away, but it doesn't confirm it on-screen. (Lin's officers don't count since they were "de-bended" off-screen) Not to mention that it's a little weird to reveal a unique bender only to have his bending taken away rather.....spontaneously.
This user is a guest
jin
Jun 17, 2012 16:52:02 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 17, 2012 16:52:02 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
hotaru Avatar

Yeah, Mako's character has been losing popularity a lot recently and this episode really didn't help. I wish they could've played with his character in the confrontation with Asami. Like, how because he lost his parents he doesn't want to lose a good friend like Korra and that's why he's been so protective of her. On the other hand, Asami's been going up in my book. She really shined in this episode, I just hope she doesn't turn evil in the next season because of Mako's stupidity.

I agree partially. I do like Asami's character more, and she's perfectly within her right to be upset by what Mako is doing and her reaction is well done. However, I think Mako is getting the burner for really no good reason. Sure he did kiss Korra back but Bolin shouldn't have said anything, not to mention it was completely silly. Brothers do not do that; I also believe that Mako really was so worried because she is his friend but subconsciously, or maybe even partially consciously because he does have feelings for Korra. Even still, he was more worried because she was his friend, he thought she was kidnapped by a madman, and this man, as of right now, can take peoples bending. I found his reaction completely within the realm of realism.

yakone Avatar
I still don't trust Tarrlok. Isn't it odd that he is the ONLY individual to be shown about to have his bending taken away, but it doesn't confirm it on-screen. (Lin's officers don't count since they were "de-bended" off-screen) Not to mention that it's a little weird to reveal a unique bender only to have his bending taken away rather.....spontaneously.

I don't think there is any reason to doubt he had his bending taken. I do believe that Tarlok seemed more or less surprised to see Amon there, like he wasn't expecting him to arrive so early and not because Amon wasn't supposed to be there at all. However, if Kami's theory is right (refer to Amon's bending blocking thread to find it), and it is indeed just an illusion then Amon will tell Tarlok this, and he simply "took" his bending to stay within character in front of his troops. That is the ONLY possibility in my opinion.

Otherwise, the reason why they cut from Amon and went to the cage is for two reasons:

1.) We've already seen Amon take someones bending. His ability, so far, has been confirmed and one more scene with him taking another persons bending would be a waste of time.

2.) Also, the other reason they switched scenes was because Amon made it a point to his soldiers to not take the Avatar lightly, and we, as the audience, needed to see what Korra was going to do to get out of the bind she was in. In this time we saw her plan, and her acting ability.

Finally, I'd like to point out another reason why the theory that it's an illusion seems so solid. The directors and writers made it a point to show that Aang was indeed bending BOTH chakra, and Amon still, even in this episode, uses just the chakra in the center of the forehead. Next week is going to be epic.
This user is a guest
Last edit by jin: Jun 17, 2012 16:55:36 GMT -6
yakone
Jun 17, 2012 17:19:04 GMT -6

Post by yakone on Jun 17, 2012 17:19:04 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
OH MY GOD! I think I just had a stroke of genius. I know this is probably a shot in the dark but here it goes. Since Aang was trying to warn Korra about something through visions, one was obviously have to wonder what that actually was. We know he was NOT warning her about Tarrlok since she was already captured by the time he fully revealed the vision. I think he was trying to point out something completely different. Anyone notice that the issue was between the Avatar and Yakone. Two BENDERS. I believe Aang is trying to Korra that this conflict is between benders. What I mean to say is that Amon is simply using his followers as tools, and that he is actually a bender. Comments???
This user is a guest
jin
Jun 17, 2012 17:33:07 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 17, 2012 17:33:07 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
yakone Avatar
OH MY GOD! I think I just had a stroke of genius. I know this is probably a shot in the dark but here it goes. Since Aang was trying to warn Korra about something through visions, one was obviously have to wonder what that actually was. We know he was NOT warning her about Tarrlok since she was already captured by the time he fully revealed the vision. I think he was trying to point out something completely different. Anyone notice that the issue was between the Avatar and Yakone. Two BENDERS. I believe Aang is trying to Korra that this conflict is between benders. What I mean to say is that Amon is simply using his followers as tools, and that he is actually a bender. Comments???

Well, the problem with that is that Aang isn't the one that didn't reveal himself. Korra was so spiritually inept that she could only see the visions when she was in danger. Only last episode did she try to talk to Aang, focus, meditate on the visions, and then she saw the whole vision. I think the warning was entirely about Tarlok because it had his father in it, and the same issue. Trying to seize all the power in the city. The only difference was how they tried to seize the power.

I do think there is more to the vision, but I don't think it's so different from what conclusion Korra came to on her own. That's just my opinion, and we'll see come Saturday.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 17, 2012 19:18:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 17, 2012 19:18:01 GMT -6

I just had a horrific realization. Unless Amon is being used by some other powerful mastermind, or is only part of a bigger plot that involves the world, then next week will probably not answer many of our questions or turn bad things back into good things... which basically means that Lin has lost her spot as one of the protagonists for a long time.

Regardless of what theory lies behind Amon's taking bending away, I think we can assume that, if it's not getting revealed in next episode, then it's not going to be resolved - unless the Avatar State can negate the effects somehow. I find that really sad and saddening. I'm sad about it.
jin
Jun 17, 2012 19:50:00 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 17, 2012 19:50:00 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
joychmi Avatar
I just had a horrific realization. Unless Amon is being used by some other powerful mastermind, or is only part of a bigger plot that involves the world, then next week will probably not answer many of our questions or turn bad things back into good things... which basically means that Lin has lost her spot as one of the protagonists for a long time.

Regardless of what theory lies behind Amon's taking bending away, I think we can assume that, if it's not getting revealed in next episode, then it's not going to be resolved - unless the Avatar State can negate the effects somehow. I find that really sad and saddening. I'm sad about it.

I beg to differ about Lin. Unless she's permanently captured, and not rescued by the new Aanggang, I think she'd have an even bigger role in the series. She would want to take that mad man down; I don't want to say "revenge" because Lin seems a lot more mature and would put her own desires behind the good of the world. I'm not saying she wouldn't want revenge either, but rather she wants him behind bars to save the world instead of getting revenge.

As for his abilities, I think you meant if he's not the big bad guy then they WILL reveal his bending ability and we may not get a happy ending to the season, but good with come out of putting that mad man behind bars. Then if he is the big bad guy, then we will get some resolution to Amon himself, and he'll more than likely go back into hiding to rebuild (if he is in fact defeated) which Iroh is coming to save the day so I don't see it ending any other way.

I still couldn't see anyone being behind the scenes pulling on his strings unless the entire Tarlok thing was indeed a scam OR - and I literally thought about this while typing this - Amon was indeed telling the truth about the spirits. The SPIRITS (evil that is) want to take over the material world. However, this has about a .01% chance of being factual and is simply my own fandom taking roots.
This user is a guest
Last edit by jin: Jun 17, 2012 19:50:33 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 17, 2012 20:17:25 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 17, 2012 20:17:25 GMT -6

I don't know if it's because it's 4am but I have a lot of trouble understanding your second paragraph. But I'm getting the gist of what you meant. However, looking back on how Avatar has unfolded, there needs to be a transition between the two Books, one which has up until now required either a greater evil or an upgrade to the same evil. If everything's revealed about Amon, he can't get an upgrade. He'll just be finished as a villain - or it'll be less interesting.... And I did say "for a long time" about Lin, not "forever". She will definitely want payback, but without her metalbending she is not likely to be a protagonist anymore. Think of how Daniel Jackson ascended in Stargate SG1, he was still there, but not a protagonist anymore... *cough*

About your crazy fandom theory, don't sell yourself short. Back in gAang era I tried to make a faction that was all about that - I may not speak about the details - but I failed. So believe me there's a part of me that thinks that 0.01 per cent chance is more like a 0.02 percent... or more. But an anti-avatar would sound so much better. *bows*

EDIT: I also wanted to clear a misunderstanding. I don't hate Mako because of his feelings for Korra, but because he's not straightforward enough. He doesn't tell Asami about Korra and him, he doesn't tell Korra about Asami and him, he keeps it all to himself and when it blows up he'll end up hurting both... And the awkward situation that'll follow, boy I wanna see that. Even though it could have been avoided, I wanna see that. *bows*
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 18, 2012 7:56:48 GMT -6
suyami
Jun 18, 2012 16:38:15 GMT -6

Post by suyami on Jun 18, 2012 16:38:15 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I think the best part of this episode was when Dante Basco's voice graced the screen. (although it was creepy to hear the voice of a young guy coming from an older man... o.O) I also think I might be the only person alive who somehow dislike's Asami....? D: The sad thing is, I really *don't* want to dislike her. She just... has yet to impress me with anything. Mako and Bolin kind of got a backstory with some struggle in it, Mako has some issues, and Bolin's hilarious and I love him. It goes without saying that I find Korra an intriguing character. But as for Asami... maybe it's just cause she's too pretty and seemingly has no problems? Or maybe I just don't care about her problems. It's really upsetting, because she's obviously a part of the Gaang.

I don't even ship Makorra, so it's not that, either. I'm not so much pissed at Mako for being wishy-washy, I'm more pissed at Bryke for feeling like a weirdly drawn-out love triangle is what Korra needs. I find it awkward.

Besides that, I enjoyed the episode. I love Lin. To death. She's amazing. SO strong. When Meelo cried out "don't touch my dad's ex-girlfriend" (or whatever it was) I died of laughter.
This user is a guest
Last edit by jin: Jun 18, 2012 16:41:11 GMT -6
jin
Jun 18, 2012 16:57:23 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 18, 2012 16:57:23 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
That's the thing though, Korra DID know about Mako and Asami. He told her, and she was there when they were doing couple things, and when they kissed. Korra just didn't care. I think Asami is a good character, and she deserves everything she is feeling (not what has happened to her though) but I still think the entire thing is silly.

Either way, just five days now until the season finale and I have a feeling it'll be great.
This user is a guest
salv
Jun 18, 2012 17:44:50 GMT -6

Post by salv on Jun 18, 2012 17:44:50 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
suyami Avatar
I also think I might be the only person alive who somehow dislike's Asami....? D: The sad thing is, I really *don't* want to dislike her. She just... has yet to impress me with anything. Mako and Bolin kind of got a backstory with some struggle in it, Mako has some issues, and Bolin's hilarious and I love him. It goes without saying that I find Korra an intriguing character. But as for Asami... maybe it's just cause she's too pretty and seemingly has no problems? Or maybe I just don't care about her problems. It's really upsetting, because she's obviously a part of the Gaang.

I can see how Asami appears as though she's without flaw. Her looks alone were enough to compensate hitting Mako with her moped. Her father practically runs a monopoly on all things transportation too. Oh, and she seems to be pretty considerate, and not to mention she can fight and drive. Aside from Korra, however, who's responsible for the fate of entire world (a responsibility I feel as though she's yet to completely realize), I'd say Asami has the most to worry about right now.

Like Mako and Bolin, she too knows what it's like to lose a loved one in a tragic way. The Agni Kais broke into her home twelve years ago, between anywhere from when she was 5 to 7 years old I'd say, and robbed her family, intending to leave only the body of her mother behind. More recently, she's had to cope with her father--the only known family she has left--being the sole provider of the Equalists out of his own free will. But to top it all off, her boyfriend has been harboring feelings (as well as acting on them!) for the Avatar longer than the two have even known each other. Because of the quick-pacing forced upon the creators by a limitation of airtime, I guess it's less noticeable, but the girl's relationship with Mako isn't her only problem.

EDIT: And to keep my post more thread-related, I also loved this episode. No surprise, though because I love every episode. I'm hoping what some people are saying about both seasons having different antagonists isn't true. Amon is one of my favorite characters, and I'd hate to see him out of the picture with so little screen time and only two combined episodes left to fill the gap.
This user is a guest
Last edit by jin: Jun 18, 2012 18:04:59 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 18, 2012 23:54:42 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
The episode was fabulous. I have too many feelings about it right now. Everything was great. The kids were fabulous, Lin and Tenzin each broke my heart, Dante Basco as General Iroh (a General Iroh, anyway) was squee-worthy, and overall the wait for the next episode... the last episode... is a bittersweet thing indeed.

Though I want to address the thing between Korra/Mako/Asami. Mako is being a JERK. Full stop, end of story. His personal actions (or lack thereof) are not mitigated / lessened by Korra also doing something wrong. They are BOTH being jerks to Asami, though unlike Mako, Korra has tried to move past it (whereas Mako is clearly on the fence between two romantic interests).

Now that Asami knows, and CONFRONTED MAKO, it was his responsibility to OWN UP and TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for HIS actions — not the actions of Korra, not their actions together, his OWN. By blowing Asami off and not even apologising in the slightest before trying to put the conversation off, that makes him a JERK. If Asami had a problem with Korra, she would have confronted her — I think we've seen she has no problem standing up for herself. But Asami's problem is probably less with the kiss, and more with Mako not telling her —- and then not coming clean after she gave him a couple chances to do so!

As far as it "not being Bolin's place" and "brothers don't do that" — what a load of absolute codswallop. If someone is being wronged, any decent person should and would speak up, especially when asked by the person being wronged. Full stop.

This concept of "blood" being put over decency and respect is ridiculous. (Not to mention if it had been Asami doing the cheating she'd not only be vilified even worse than she is now, but if this specific situation were that Bolin were to keep it from Mako, everyone would get upset! Sexist double-standards, much?)

——

suyami Avatar
I think the best part of this episode was when Dante Basco's voice graced the screen. (although it was creepy to hear the voice of a young guy coming from an older man... o.O)

EDIT: xD Oh, Susu, how OLD do you think Dante is? xD;' He's actually just about the right age for the new General Iroh — mid 30's! It's dem pinoy genes, bby! which Kami also has
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 19, 2012 2:59:51 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 19, 2012 3:02:11 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Opening post updated with online streaming link :]
This user is Mod
jin
Jun 19, 2012 13:37:50 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 19, 2012 13:37:50 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I did have a rant written, but then my package came (My Archenemy Scheme deck) and while I was down there, I realized something. This is just silly. There is no point in arguing over people, much like characters who, as much as we'd like to believe is not true, have no control over their actions. The writers wrote him like that, they wrote him to be an idiot. They wrote him to be like that, and with that in mind, they will probably write him to do something to redeem himself. They've been good so far, and to be honest, I'd rather not sit here and debate the moral dilemma that these characters put themselves.
This user is a guest