The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Comic Book Nerds Unite!

Anonymous
Aug 5, 2012 15:16:02 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2012 15:16:02 GMT -6

I noticed a tragic dearth in comic book threads once I found out there are a few other tarpers who share my hobby.

So let's talk comics. What do you read? Would you like any suggestions? Do you think this thread needs an appearance by Wolverine to get people to read it?

I know we comic readers are a passionate lot but let's keep things respectful and apolitical. Should a controversial subject or creator come up (I wish I could cough the name Rob Liefeld) I expect civility no matter how much the subject may angry up your blood.
My advice: If it's not positive or at least constructive then don't post.

Now...to get this speedball rolling...

I just finished reading Secret Agent Poyo, a one-shot spinoff from Chew which is a wonderfully odd comic. In the first few pages a rooster in a luchador mask fights his way out of hell. As far as I'm concerned they cannot drive enough dump trucks full of money to the team responsible for this.

Don't leave me lone here, guys. What do you read and why?

This user is a former member
jin
Aug 5, 2012 15:52:32 GMT -6

Post by jin on Aug 5, 2012 15:52:32 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I mostly read manga, which is like the japanese comic. I'm currently reading Bleach, and Naruto. Mostly because both series appeal to the section of my brain that always wishes I had super powers of some sort and those two series really give me that chance (because rp's of them are so abundant).

On the more western side of things, I read Invincible because viltrimites kick bums, and the fact that they age at a slower rate the older the get (yeah, a tad confusing) it makes me smile and also makes me wish I were one of them. The idea of living thousands of years, and becoming more and more powerful as you age also appeals to that little sector of my brain.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 5, 2012 17:02:26 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2012 17:02:26 GMT -6

If you like Bleach and Naruto, Jin, you might want to give One Piece a shot. It's a little more goofy but in my opinion it has more consistent quality than Bleach and Naruto story-wise.

I keep hearing good things about Invincible but money woes forbid me from being too adventurous.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 5, 2012 17:24:39 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Okay, okay, I'll take your Liefield bait. >:T He is the worst "professional" comic artist I have ever seen. I am not the best character artist in the world by any means. I have a LOT to learn. But Liefield? I think all of the women he's ever seen have been wearing corsets their entire lives, are emaciated, and have rubber spines, because that's how he draws all of his women. Liefield is a terrible, terrible artist. I have no idea how he became a professionally paid comic. >_> (Hey, I'm still being civil)

Anyway, in terms of western comic books I'm really partial to DC, mainly The Question (esp. with Renee Montoya). I don't actively read anything right now due to costs, but I also love Deadpool. The Bat Family, Teen Titans, and (ofc) Avengers are also really good series to get into. Dick Grayson is probably my favourite Robin, but I do also like Stephanie Brown.

As far as manga goes, I tend to lean a bit more shoujo (Ouran High School Host Club, Fruits Basket, Hana-Kimi), but Rurouni Kenshin -which is more shonen- is my all-time favourite series. I'm currently keeping up with Bleach, and that's it. >_> Kyou Kara Maou is another favourite sort of "actiony" manga.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Aug 5, 2012 18:02:49 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2012 18:02:49 GMT -6

Since you like DC, Kami I suggest giving Demon Knights a shot. It has a good male/female ratio and has some pretty funny moments to boot. I'm not too familiar with shoujo manga, the only one that comes to mind is Matsuri Special which was a lot of fun.

I remember seeing Liefeld's art when I first started collecting in the early 90's and thinking "I'm sure he'll get better. Otherwise he'll be out of a job." Stupid 13-year-old Hangetsu.

Bleach had been really iffy for me for a while but I'm enjoying this quincy arc. About time Kubo did something with them.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Aug 5, 2012 19:31:53 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
I think I'm going to work through Teen Titans first — I'm only familiar with bits and pieces of some really old eighty's serials as well as the Teen Titans cartoon (the one on Cartoon Network), so I would like to read more before tackling the (supposedly awful) reboot version. As far as shoujo suggestions, that's okay. :'] I'm actually SUPER picky about my shoujo... well, manga in general. I have to like the art as well as the premise: I know I probably miss out on a lot of good story telling, but manga has to be really aesthetically pleasing to me (anime too) in order for me to read/watch it, with a few exceptions (eg: Ranma 1/2).

Awwwh, poor 13 y/o Hangetsu. ;x So naive. What's even worse is that Liefield seems to still set the bar in some areas, because I see a lot of that sort of 'escher girl' design with the elongated centaur-spine and lack of innards. >_>

I am really enjoying the new Quincy arc. I'm bemoaning how short the new chapters seem to be. >_< I was so-so on the Fullbring arc, but I did like the explanation for people like Orihime and Chad. And to be fair, I wasn't expecting the twist at the end. I hear tell this is the final arc, which is frustrating for me, because I still don't know much about Ichigo's dad. :T
This user is Mod
jin
Aug 5, 2012 22:37:39 GMT -6

Post by jin on Aug 5, 2012 22:37:39 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I know exactly what you mean Kami. The quincy arc is looking to be awesome, and the most recent development
poor BYA!
really shows that not only is this the final arc, but that he is holding nothing back. I also agree that an anime/manga needs to be drawn well (which is why I detest one piece, sorry and the newest Yugioh series, those characters all look stupid as hell.)

I really didn't take notice to liefield (as I've just recently REALLY gotten into western comics) so I decided to see what the fuss was about and lol. Wow, really? He is as bad as you two have been saying.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Aug 5, 2012 23:42:08 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Aug 5, 2012 23:42:08 GMT -6

As much as I like Byakuya he had it coming for that stupid move of his.
If you want to get the Liefield taint from your brain check out some of Rebekah Isaac's work. I discovered her and writer Brain Wood through the mini-series DV8: Gods and Monsters.

If DC pick that series up with the same team I'd be over the moon.