The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

[Possible LOK Spoilers] Weak Benders...?

sacredless
Feb 6, 2013 20:04:26 GMT -6

Post by sacredless on Feb 6, 2013 20:04:26 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
In the third episode of Avatar: The Legend of Korra, we are shown a fragment where Lightning Bolt Zolt's bending powers are being slowly removed. What struck me was that, as his bending was taken, his lightning slowly became a flame and then fizzled into nothing.

The theme of impotency is very strong in The Legend of Korra. Non-benders not being able to compare with benders. Benders' powers being taken from them. Equalists not being allowed to practice chi blocking. However, I've never heard of benders comparing each others' potency before. It's like the Firelord and your average firebender has the same theoretical genetic potential.

Is it like that...? Can all firebenders use lightning with the right training...? Can all earthbenders use metal with the right training...?

We know one thing; Yakone and his family had a unique seemingly genetic quality to be able to bloodbend without moving and without a full moon. Did Yakone just happen to have the perfect training schedule...? We also heard in ATLA that not all waterbenders can heal. Is this a matter of genetic potential...?

Could it be that there are benders who are, in fact, weaker than the average bender...? Firebenders who can only light a candle...? Earthbenders who can only move pebbles...? Waterbenders who can only move droplets of water...?
This user is a guest
Last edit by sacredless: Feb 6, 2013 20:05:32 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Feb 7, 2013 1:39:37 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
I think that would be a reasonable assumption. For example, Zuko was unable (as far as we know) to use lightning bending. Only a select few earthbenders have become metal benders (and according to the "Welcome to Republic City" minigame on Nick.com, Lin only picks people that are really good at earthbending to learn metalbending).

I think it's just being human, really. All humans have potential, but a combination of environment, desire, aptitude, and hard work determine those who surpass the norm (and those who fall under it).
This user is Mod

Post by Gia on Feb 8, 2013 15:40:59 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Absolutely. Like Kami said, it's being human. There are, of course, mediocre and poor benders. Just like not everyone can be a great singer, not everyone can be a great bender. Of course, hard work and dedication can count for a lot, but still, not everyone will be an excellent bender. It's part of life, I think.
This user is Mod