The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Psychological Trauma?

spode
Dec 16, 2012 8:48:56 GMT -6

Post by spode on Dec 16, 2012 8:48:56 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
After experiencing having her bending taken away, how would this affect our heroine when she enters the Spirit World for the first time to learn that she cannot bend any elements there?

What psychological damage did Amon have on Korra?
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Dec 16, 2012 20:35:11 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Dec 16, 2012 20:35:11 GMT -6

I don't think much long-term trauma would happen to Korra. When she had her bending taken away, she felt like she wasn't special anymore. In the spirit world, as the only person able to travel there even if she can't bend, I think she'd still feel pretty special.

I'm more worried about the airbending kids. They were practically kidnapped, tied up and were almost forced to have their bending taken away publicly as if it was some sort of entertainment or show. Seeing as Amon managed to frighten even Korra so much, I'm more concerned on the air baby's mental health.

Though I also think Mako might have a bit of bad memories there seeing as he had to watch the girl he supposedly loves get her bending taken away, not being able to protect her, etc. :P
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Dec 16, 2012 20:48:47 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Dec 16, 2012 20:51:20 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
lol, Airi, relax. =P

I agree with you though. I doubt that Korra would have any long-term psychological damage due to her temporary lack of bending. It was a place I felt the storytelling fell short, since she didn't have to do ANYTHING that Tenzin said she'd need to unlock the Avatar state or her airbending. There was no character development for Korra - she's still just as "I'm the Avatar you gotta deal with it" as she was when she was three. All right for a precocious toddler, not so all right when she feels superior to the people she is supposed to be helping.

I also agree with the bigger concern being with the kids (though they seemed OK in the Book 2 sneak peek this past SDCC).

And I'm concerned about Mako, if only because if what Airi mention is part of his Book 2 psyche, I'm worried about him being more controlling / manipulative.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Dec 16, 2012 20:52:39 GMT -6