The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

Air Acolyte Quarters

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 3, 2012 17:20:03 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
The Acolyte Quarters take up several rooms for the many monks and nuns carrying on the Air Nomad way of life. Mostly separated by gender, there are a few "family" rooms for those who have spouses and/or children. The regular rooms boast a large floor space for sleeping mats that can be converted to a clear sitting area, while the family rooms have separated sleeping / sitting areas and are considerably smaller.

Please respect each others' property and personal space.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 14, 2012 14:52:09 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 14, 2012 14:52:09 GMT -6

Meelo's Domain
Air Acolyte Family Dormitories

TREAAAAASUREEEEE!

Meelo dashed forwards, skidding around the corner and almost slamming into the legs of an Acolyte who got in his way. No time to wait for him to get out of his road! He was treasure hunting here! Rolling between the man's legs, the young Airbender shot off, waving a fist and shouting back at the shocked man as he vanished out of an open window.

"WATCH WHERE YOU GOING, DUMMY!"

With a long, high pitched "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" of laughter, Meelo plummeted from the top floor of the building, arms and legs flailing manically, before letting a small blast of air soften his landing as he hit the ground in a wobbly way. Stumbling, he put his hand out and rolled onto it, pushing himself off the floor with a further, much more creative prrrrrt of gas. Flipping onto his feet, he continued onward, heading towards the dormitories.

Mommy had told him a great story about how a brave man went on a quest to steal a great big pile of treasure from an evil queen and also save a princess or something. The man had sneaked into the queen's castle, but the treasure room was hidden. But then the man's pet badger-mole earthbended a way into the secret treasure room and the man put all the gold and stuff on the badger-mole's back. Then there was a bit about him saving the princess or something, but he was not really paying attention by that point.

The important part was that evil queen's castle was on an island, just like here! That must mean that there must be some hidden treasure somewhere on Air Temple Island! His mom had not liked it when he had squirmed out of his bed and ran off, but she would not mind so much when he came back with a gem the size of her belly! She could buy a whole new baby with something like that! She obviously wanted one. Probably why she was getting new baby stuff.

Reaching the dormitories, Meelo pressed his back up against the wall and poked his head around the open door. How where they supposed to hide things if they kept stuff open?! This was easy!

Too easy...

He would have to be sneaky, like the man in the story. Tiptoeing into the building, Meelo began to look around for guards, inching about and keeping his ears open for any noise. Nobody seemed to be in here. Good. Time to search! He snuck into a few rooms, threw open the draws and looked under the beds, but there was nothing! There had to be a hidden switch or panel or something!

Leaving another room in a mess, Meelo peeked into a new room and his eyes widened. Books! Books everywhere! This had to be it! Nobody would keep this many books around unless they were trying to hide something from sight. There was no other explanation! Leaping up onto the highest shelf, the young boy began tossing books into the air, searching for a hidden button or fake book.

The treasure will be mine!
This user is a former member
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 15, 2012 6:26:24 GMT -6

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 15, 2012 6:40:06 GMT -6

Air Acolyte Family Dorms
[tag: Meelo]

Ugh, what a day. Ren trudged back to her room, clutching her new purchase to her chest, doing her best to avoid running into anyone — both literally, and figuratively. She still wasn't entirely sure that she was allowed to have this sort of reading material on the Island. Who would she ask, though? Not to mention what would she say? Oh, hello, I was wondering if you allowed somewhat racy romance novels on the Island? Or perhaps, Excuse me, could you read over this and tell me if this would be allowed? The prematurely-grey-haired woman shook her head gently. No, no. That wouldn't do at all. Plus, it'd be mortifying.

The trip home from Republic City wasn't exactly the greatest, despite being a relatively short trip; the waters in Yue Bay were choppier than usual, and the squid balls she had allowed herself to splurge on (with a very guilty conscience) had decided to return to the ocean. Not one of her more dignified moments, that was for sure. Sighing, she reasoned it must have been karma coming back to bite her in the rear. She knew she wasn't supposed to eat meat, in accordance with her acolyte training, and that included sea creatures. At least, that's what she presumed; she hadn't been at the temple for long, just a few months, and there had never been any thing meat. Period. It was probably a safe bet to assume that the Nomads weren't pescetarians.

Removing her shoes carefully, Ren stepped inside the family dormitory building; the acolytes had been considerate enough to make an allowance for her particular situation. She hadn't officially come out, but most people already knew. She was thankful, not for the first time, that they were allowing her to move at her own pace. The dorm was a curious thing, in any case. "Family" though it might be, she had never actually seen any children at the temple, or even heard of any, that weren't part of Sifu Tenzin's brood. Granted, she hadn't fully explored the Island — or even the family building in its entirety — so it was completely possible that there were. ... Rather quiet for children, though, if they were on the Island.

As she approached her room, the woman began to feel uneasy. Something was wrong. She froze, uncertain, hearing the rustling of papers and thuds coming from her personal quarters. Her body shook; was she in trouble? Were her City excursions against some Acolyte rule and someone had found out? Ren clutched the book to her chest, turning paler than usual. Taking a trembling step forward, the woman peeked around the corner into her room.

A small ball of scarlet and gold was at the top of her bookshelf tossing down books with abandon. "Ah!" Ren exclaimed, pushing up her glasses and hurrying forward to catch the flying literature, ducking under the low (for her, at least) doorway. "Ex--excuse me!" she stammered, catching one, two, three, four hard cover novels before one finally hit her in the face. "Ara!" She fell, hard, on the wooden floor, rubbing her nose gingerly. "Pl-— please! Please stop!"
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 16, 2012 5:32:34 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 16, 2012 13:31:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 16, 2012 13:31:43 GMT -6

[tag: Ren]

Throwing himself from shelf to shelf, Meelo did not hear the entrance of another person, continuing to toss book after book over his shoulder. However, there was suddenly a solid thunk and a squeak of pain, followed by a stammering plea for him to stop doing something. Turning with a sharp rotation of air, the young boy stuck out his arms to defend himself against this new threat against his quest for treasure.

His big eyes widened even further when he saw who it was that had entered the room. The evil queen! She must be here to evilly capture me and put me in her stew of evil! Because she's evil! He did not panic though. All evil queen's had weaknesses, this one had to have one too! It was always something obvious that most people would not see, but he was smarter than them by lots.

For a moment, the young boy and the woman locked eyes, his brave gaze somewhat dampened by the "ferocious" scowl his large eyebrows were attempting to perform. He was not fooled by the person's eyes watering up with pain; all the greatest evil villains were tricky. But he would not be tricked by any amount of trickiness!

Diving from the bookcase with a manly (and only a little high-pitched) warcry, Meelo flipped in the air and landed on the shelf furthest from the queen, making a gesture with his hand as he did. The villain's glasses, knocked from her face with his ingenious book attack, were surrounded by an air current, lifting them off the floor and right into his hand. Turning to face her while gripping onto the wooden surface, Meelo gave a "haha!" of victory.

"You won't trick me, evil queen! Now, show me your hidden switch to your secret treasure room! Or the glasses get it!" Meelo cried out triumphantly, raising the object in his hand over his head.

Soon, all the treasure will be mine!

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 18, 2012 1:14:47 GMT -6

The small child seemed to magick her glasses away, and instantly the room blurred, leaving only blobs of colour where actual things used to be. The scarlet-and-gold child-blob cackled with laughter, calling her an evil queen and demanding to see the treasure — or he'd break her glasses. "N-no, please!" she said, reflexively reaching out for the round wire-framed lenses. "My glasses! I can't see a thing without my glasses!" It was a feeble attempt, at the very least; Ren knew from the 'magic' that this had to be Meelo, Sifu Tenzin's son. Despite his young age, she knew she was outclassed in every way. She wasn't stupid, by any means, but she wasn't even trained in basic martial self-defence. How could she possibly go toe-to-toe with an Airbender, even one so young? She had heard enough stories about Avatar Aang and his friends to know that age meant nothing when it came to fighting. The grey-haired woman held up her hands in surrender. Meelo must be pretending something. Airbender or not, he was a child, and the only way to take on a child was to play like one.

"I don't have a hidden switch," she told him, her voice suddenly dramatic, the natural huskiness of her tones adding an extra dimension of mysteriousness. "But you have done well, young one, to learn of my secret!" Ren flung a robed arm out to indicate the room. "My treasure is not what you expect, however. I have something far more valuable than gold or jewels." Shuffling her feet on the floor so as not to stub her toe on anything, the woman found her way to her bed and flopped down with a defeated sigh. "But will you understand, child? Will you understand the value of my treasure?" She looked in Meelo's direction, the blob of child still holding her glasses aloft. Ren looked away, covering her eyes exaggeratedly with the back of her hand. "Oh woe! Woe! I do not think you will understand!"

Turning around on her bed, Ren faced the wall with her back towards the toddler, pretending to talk to herself. Her voice was an intentionally loud whisper. "Yes, yes, this child doesn't know, doesn't realise! What I have to offer is something of far greater value, and can last a lifetime! But he'd never understand, never! He is just a child..."
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jun 20, 2012 13:27:07 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 20, 2012 13:27:07 GMT -6

The evil queen groped around the air, begging for the return of her glasses, as if she actually needed them. Meelo would not be fooled. She probably only wore them to trick people into thinking that she was shy or something, but he was not like the rest! His daddy's daddy was Grampa Aang, the Avatar! It would take more than a pair of glasses to trick him! He gave her another fearsome squinting. That should make her stop acting like some scared Acolyte and show her true colours!

When she finally stop cringing and started talking in a deeper tone, Meelo knew that he had been victorious. No-one had the willpower to stand up to his mighty scowl! Every time he used it on his mommy or the Acolytes working in the kitchen, they always clasped their hands together in fear gave him a cookie to appease his fury. Why would this evil queen be any different? Soon, all the secrets of the treasure shall be mine!

The young Airbender listened hard as the evil queen began explaining to him the nature of her treasure. Something more valuable than gold and jewels that lasted a lifetime?! What could it be? Cookies? No, cookies did not last a lifetime, not the way he ate them. Ah! Maybe it was a magical, fire-breathing turtle-hawk that grew infinite cookie plants on it's shell and burped rainbows?! But where would she keep one in here? Unless, she had fed it a potion that shrunk it to fit behind a book or under her bed! It made perfect sense! How hard was that to understand?

Suddenly having a brilliant idea, he jumped down from the bookshelf. Gliding across the room, Meelo landed at the foot of her bed in an heroic fashion.

"I know how to understand your treasure, evil queen!" Meelo said triumphantly. "If I wear your glasses, then I will see everything as you do! Haha!"

With that cry, the young boy jammed the glasses onto his face, but tore them off with a further cry of discomfort.

"Argh! Jumping hog monkeys, lady, how can you see anything with them on your face! I'm blind!", he yelled, doing several laps of the room while loudly screaming and flailing his arms about, his eye squeezed shut. It was not long before he ran straight into a bookcase, falling onto his back with a grunt. To add to the moment, the universe saw fit to have a single book fall off the self and land, open, onto his face.

"Owie", came a muffled groan from underneath pages of the think volume.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 22, 2012 1:55:01 GMT -6

Even though he was just a blur of flesh, gold, and scarlet, Ren could see just enough to know what happened. Stifling a giggle, she squinted and made her way across to where Meelo lay. "... Avatar Aang: A Biography," read Ren out loud, leaning in close to the novel's cover. She picked up the book off of the child's head and smiled kindly, her big grey-brown eyes gentle. "Are you okay, Meelo?" she asked, sitting down next to him, her head tilted to the side. "That was an unfortunately large book to fall on your head."

With a small smile, Ren pointed to her eyes. "Those glasses can only help me see, I'm afraid. They're not magic, but a doctor gave them to me. My eyes aren't able to see things far away, only really close. She held up her hand about four inches from her face. "This is about as far as I can see clearly without them," she said, chuckling, and tapped the boy's nose with her index finger. "You still probably have perfect vision," said the acolyte wisely. "The way you see with my glasses on is the way I see with them off."

Groping around the floor carefully, Ren found her glasses and slid them on, the large, round frames making her eyes look just a little bigger. Not comically so, but just enough to seem a little wide-eyed and innocent.

"Do you know, Meelo, what all the big, important people in the world want?" she asked him. "People like... Kings, or Generals, or —-" Ren almost said councilmen, but then changed tracks. She didn't need Sifu Tenzin on her case. "Or big, powerful magicians?" she said instead. She looked around, then stood up and made a big show about checking the hallway and shutting the door. She returned to the child and sat back down, leaning in consiprationally. "They want power, " she told him, her husky voice a stage whisper. She put a finger to her lips. "There are different types of power, like physical power — muscles, weapons, or bending. There's the power of conversation, where people say things that aren't exactly lies, but aren't exactly truth either. That kind of power is shameful." The last sentence was added hastily; it wouldn't do for Meelo to become a liar under her encouragement!

"But the best power.... is the power of ....." Ren trailed of for dramatic effect, looking at the boy out of the corner of her eye. "Do you really, really want to know?" she asked.
This user is Mod
Last edit: Jun 22, 2012 1:56:20 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 24, 2012 13:41:00 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 24, 2012 13:41:00 GMT -6

It was dark for a moment as Meelo just lay there under the large book, trying to get his body to obey his commands. Left foot, right foot, left hand, right hand. Twitch, twitch, twitch, twitch, still too dazed to move. But then, suddenly, the lights turned back on, and the young airbender squinted up into the glaring light, a fuzzy figure leaning over him, asking him if he was okay. As a reply, Meelo made a slight turning motion with his shoulders and a breeze caught him, lifting him up. Landing deftly on his feet, Meelo gave the Acolyte a thumbs up and a big, gap-toothed smile.

"I'm okay", the boy announced, shaking his body like a polar bear dog trying to get dry. "I've had things fall on my head a whole bunch of times. Ikki says that's why my head is shaped funny!"

For the time being, Meelo seemed to have forgotten what it was he had originally come into the room to do and listened as the Acolyte explained how here glasses worked, pulling a distraught face. She could only see normally with those things on?! Why? What happened to her eyes to make them so bad? Maybe somebody put glasses on her when she was young, too? He looked at the things adorning the woman's face with warily. Glasses were a real hazard. Maybe he should smash them in case they took his sight again! But then she would not be able to see... Fiendish glasses!

Suddenly, the Acolyte change the subject and Meelo tilted his head in confusion. Power? What? He did not get it. Wait... she was the evil queen! She's bragging about her powers and she's about to reveal their source to me! And when she does, the secret way to her hidden treasure will be easy to find! This plan is pure genius! She went on about different powers, like muscles and stuff, until she mentioned the "best power". She paused for a second before asking if he really wanted to know.

Meelo charged forwards towards the evil queen, running around her legs in circles chanting "tellmetellmetellme" over and over in a high pitched yelp that made it all sound like a single, uninterrupted word. Grabbing a handful of her clothes, the little kid pulled himself up to her front and clasped ahold of the front of her robe, his face inches from hers.

"Tell me", Meelo whispered, the toothy grin back on his face as he uttered his request.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 30, 2012 8:34:39 GMT -6

Ren giggled a little, hiding her smile with her hand. The little boy did have a rather bulbous head, but she figured he'd grow into it eventually. It rather made him endearing, and the Acolyte rubbed Meelo's bald head affectionately — right before he started zooming around, saying "tellmetellmetellme" over and over again. Ren blinked in surprise as he climbed up her robes until they were face-to-face, her grey-brown eyes going a little cross-eyed.

Tell me

The little boy's voice was no more than a whisper, his grey eyes shining with anticipation. Ren grinned a little lopsidedly, gently unfixing Meelo from the front of her robes and setting him down on her bed. She gathered her favourite books — History of the United Republic; The Art of Bending; Wheels, Cogs, and Machinery; The Fire Nation Royals: A Genealogy — and a few other titles, piling the thick volumes as tall as the boy. She patted the books and winked. "Power," she said softly, "Comes from knowledge." Ren gestured a large hand to the bookshelves in her room. "Books can tell you anything and everything!" She bent down, her braid and the loose strands of hair cascading over her shoulder and framing her face. "And not just books. Listening to people, to what they say, gives you knowledge." Ren gently took a hold of Meelo's wrists, turning his hands over to reveal his palms. "You're an airbender," she said softly, looking into his eyes with the utmost solemnity. "But without your knowledge about it, the teachings your father has given you, it wouldn't mean a thing."

Well, that wasn't entirely true. But it would have to do for now. Ren sat on the bed next to Meelo, cringing as the books toppled over with a flump onto the duvet. "It's not as exciting as you probably thought, is it?" she asked the child with a small smile. "I don't really have anything of monetary value — I'm just an acolyte. I work at the library here on the Island, writing down lessons into books for future generations to read and study." She fished around in her robes and pulled out a small paper bag with the words Song Lee's Candy Emporium written in fancy script on the side. "I do have some of this, though. Want to share?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 4, 2012 13:37:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 4, 2012 13:37:18 GMT -6

The Acolyte pulled herself gently from the young airbender's grip, plonking him down on the bed before joining him there. Sorting through a bunch of books, she gave them a tap before announcing that it was they that held "the best power". Pouting skeptically, Meelo narrowed his eyes questioningly at her. The only books that he knew about where picture books and the ones his mommy and daddy read him when they tried to put him to bed. They had nice stories in them, but he did not see how they were "powerful". Unless they were magic picture books, ones that made whatever you read come to life! Then he could play with dragons, something that he really wanted to do!

She went on to explain what she meant more, saying that by books she had meant knowledge. If knowledge was power, then why was Jinora not the Queen of the World?! She always had her nose pressed up against a book, even at the table while they ate sometimes. Meelo was certain that she was not actually reading at all. It looked more like she was smelling the pages. He had done that once, with a big book in his daddy's room. It smelt like old and he had not been able to stop sneezing for ages. Then he had told him off for leaving snot marks on the pages. It wasn't like you couldn't read it anymore. You could see through the stains!

"I like stories that have princes rescuing the princesses. Then they get icky and start smooching, I don't like that part so much. It's the bit when the princes save the princess that I like. No-one should be locked away just for being born different, or into a family that is important. People need to be free! Like a leaf! BE THE LEAF!" Meelo chattered away, screaming out the last part while throwing his arms in the air. A wind pushed through the room, lifting up some of the smaller books for a second before fading away.

He then noticed that she was offering him some candy.

"THE TREASURE!" Meelo yelled out, snatching a handful of treats and shoving them into his mouth, chewing on them furiously. Cackling madly, the boy bounced impossibly into the air, landing feet first off the ceiling then pushing off onto the wall. He did this several times, all the while laughing manically, until he eventually landed back on the bed. He continued jumping up and down on the soft surface, flailing is limbs in a crazed fashion before wrapping his them around her neck and poking his head next to her face.

"I like sweets", he said happily, his hand snaking down towards the open bag once more.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 4, 2012 19:19:28 GMT -6

OOC: I'm not sure where to go from here, PM me?

Meelo looked skeptical of her claim, and she didn't blame him. She had always had a love for knowledge herself - a love not shared by the other children her age. Meelo seemed like a rambunctious, precocious sort, and ill-suited to quiet study.

I like stories that have the princes rescuing the princesses.

She opened her mouth to say something about how princesses should try to rescue themselves too, but Meelo babbled on about how icky kissing was and said something that particularly stood out to her: no one should be locked away just for being born different. Her mouth snapped shut. Meelo reached for her candy, calling it 'treasure' and bounced around her room. Ren sat there, looking at the boy quite curiously. Meelo had yet to notice any discrepancy in the way she presented and her physical body, but... maybe he would understand. Sort of. At the very least there was a good basis for his understanding.

She allowed him to help himself to another handful, then folded the top of the bag over. "Say, Meelo," Ren said experimentally. "Remember how you said that no one should be locked away for being born 'different'?" She smiled at him, leaning back onto her bed in a more comfortable position. "What do you mean by "different"? Any kind of different, or only certain kinds of different?"
This user is Mod
Anonymous
Jul 7, 2012 12:32:59 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jul 7, 2012 12:32:59 GMT -6

Stuffing another large handful of the candies into his mouth, Meelo chewed frantically. He was not sure what kind of sweets they were, or what type of flavour were in the bag, but the textures and flavours all smashed together, releasing a huge burst of amazing sensation. In seconds, what had been a collection of different sweeties changed into a big, mushy ball of awesome in a way that only so many different sweeties could.

Noticing that the Acolyte had covered the bag over (no doubt in an effort to stop him taking all the treasure), Meelo pouted in annoyance now that his access to the sugary goodness had been cut off. He had already swallowed most of the handful he had shoved into his mouth. Rotating his tongue to pick at the remaining bits stuck in his teeth, he almost missed what Ren had been asking him. Making several odd clucking noises as he continued his excavations, the young airbender gave her a confused look.

"There's different kinds of different?" Meelo said in dismay. "That makes my head hurt."

With a dramatic pose, the boy made a hurg type noise and fell off of the Acolyte's back, flailing wildly as he hit the mattress before going still, playing dead with his tongue hanging out. He stayed like that for a few moments, but then spoke once more, his voice sounding serious for the first time since he broke into her room.

"Daddy says that it doesn't matter who a person is born as. It's who they grow up to be that counts, and we shouldn't treat anyone badly just for being who they are. We should all be allowed to be free, free to choose who we want to be."

There was a pause as Meelo heaved himself up again, kicking a book off his foot where it had fallen when he had flopped off of Ren's back and scooching himself up to sit next to her, grinning widely up at her face.

"But then again, daddy tells me off for eating all the cookies, so I don't really listen too hard to him", the boy added with a giggle.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jul 13, 2012 3:46:59 GMT -6

She rubbed the bald little monk's head affectionately, then held out the bag of candy again. "One more," Ren said with a smile. "Just one. I don't need your mommy or daddy getting mad at either of us." When Meelo had helped himself to another handful, the woman closed the bag again. She contemplated, for a moment, putting it up on a higher shelf — but then realised the futility of the action. Meelo could just airbend his way up. Instead, she put it on her nightstand, next to the card that had Hangetsu's phone number on it. She smiled, just a little bit, seeing the quick scrawl of ink across the back of the Lemurland business card. She was definitely looking forward to seeing him again that weekend.

"You like stories, then, Meelo?" she asked, standing up and going to a metal trunk at the foot of her bed. She opened the heavy lid with soft oof, and pulled out a few worn, and obviously well-loved picture books. There were an assortment of titles: The Brave Steam Engine, The Generous Banyan-grove Tree, and The Crown Prince and the Beggar. After a small pause, she brought out two more books: The Tower-Princess, and The Sleeping Noblewoman. She held them out to Meelo tentatively. "If I let you borrow these, will you promise to take care of them?" She looked down at the books fondly. "I suppose you can say these are some of my treasures; I mean, I treasure them very much."

She paused, fished out her handkerchief; putting down the books briefly, she grabbed Meelo's hands and wiped them down, dabbing the cloth against her tongue just a little like her mother used to do. When she was satisfied his fingers and palms were no longer sticky with candy-coating, she put the books in his hands. Before letting go, she squatted down and looked him straight in the eye.

"Promise you'll take care of them?"
This user is Mod