The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

[Spoilers] Episode 9

kaitokatashi
Jun 9, 2012 9:34:18 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jun 9, 2012 9:34:18 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Kai here, posting as I watch.

- "Cover your ears! I can't go with you listening!"
- Lin zipping Bolin's fly
- AANG & TOPH
- Twinkletoes!
- Korra finally connects with Aang!
- "Crazy talk is coming out of your mouth right now!"
- "Try to chi-block that, fools!"
- Bloodbending is illegal!
- Sokka was on the Republic City Council?!
- BOOMERANG!
- ENERGYBENDING
- Tarrlok is Yakone's son

HOMAIGAW! I can't believe that E10 is the season finale, but this episode was amazing. A little Korra-lite than the other episodes, it finally showed her connecting with her past life outside of the Avatar State, and we finally learned what Korra's visions were about.

Thoughts?

<Kami Edit: For US residents, the latest episode can be found here>
This user is a guest
Last edit: Jun 14, 2012 22:36:50 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 9, 2012 13:20:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 9, 2012 13:20:13 GMT -6

Cool episode but the whole Yakone thing makes me wonder about Republic City's justice system. They seemed to be going by witch trial logic when it came to bloodbending. Sokka had seen weird stuff before so Yakone must be a bloodbender? Sure, he actually was but the reasoning was way off. Hopefully, this will be picked up later because it's interesting to see such a massive crack in the justice system of the good guys.

It moved so fast that is seemed to last ten minutes. They definitely don't do a lot of annoying decompression in this show.
This user is a former member
Anonymous
Jun 9, 2012 13:20:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 9, 2012 13:20:38 GMT -6

I thought it was kinda dull, to be honest. Compared to last week, this week just felt...not as exciting. Like, I thought this was finally going to be the week Korra reached the Avatar State, but no. The only real surprise was Tarrlok being Yakone's son, but I already knew that and just needed confirmation. I liked the flashbacks, but would have appreciated an actual spiritual connection.

I'm a little confused by the advertisement for Episodes 10/11 as a finale, since there are supposed to be 12 episodes in the first season. Maybe they're not skipping a week, with 10 airing next weekend and 11/12 being the finale? That's my hope anyway.

I gotta say, I'm really hoping Korra loses her bending in the finale, just to make things more interesting, but I'll leave that alone since it doesn't pertain to episode 9.

All in all, I liked this episode, but I didn't love it. It did make me like Amon more, though. I was really glad to see him; it's been a couple episodes since his last appearance.
Anonymous
Jun 9, 2012 16:28:34 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 9, 2012 16:28:34 GMT -6

First overall thought was that I was glad I actually got to watch this this morning since I'm typically at work and have to wait to see the show.

There were definitively a few cool moments in the show that I did really enjoy. I love how Lin Beifong bends the metalbender outfit on her that was really cool to see especially since I love that uniform.

While I did like having the flashback explained I for one was hoping that Aang would have done something like what Roku did for Aang. Personally I think that they are waiting until the finale to have Korra and Aang be able to talk to each other.

Personally the older voices of our beloved characters seemed to be hit or miss. Obviously since they are older they can't have their kid voices and obviously they couldn't have used the same voice actors to fake having an older voice. Toph's voice just seemed not right for her. While I do get that she is to be older and all I just feel like the people running the show could have picked a better voice for her since the voice seemed to....delicate/dainty/not rough enough for her personality.

Seeing Sokka in the council doesn't surprise me all that much with the leadership skills that he tried to have during the Eclipse and what not. Did love the boomerang reference would have been even funnier if he had it on him like an accessory or just somewhere near.

Also Aang's remark of being "40" seemed more like he should have said "140" to remind everyone that he was frozen for 100 years.

I really though have been enjoying the bloodbending stuff that has been going on since it was introduced so late in A:TLA and barely talked about. Not that surprised that others know how to do it. Really think about it, Katara had to have explained it sometime and most likely after the war she may have gone back to the North Pole for more training and/or to teach other waterbenders. My guess is she demonstrated what it looked like but did not teach them exactly how it works and then other waterbenders figured out how to do it after realizing that such a thing could be done.

Also it would have been too simple if Amon just went down like the others and it does raise a few more questions about him. Amon either has been a victim of bloodbending and/or trained himself to fight the control of it or maybe there is more about him with his powers and what not.
Anonymous
Jun 9, 2012 16:40:13 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 9, 2012 16:40:13 GMT -6

In regards to Hangetsu's comment, I think that it was mentioned that there was quite a bit of evidence, and that Sokka was responding to Yakone's lawyer's argument that the evidence must be wrong because bloodbending without a full moon is impossible. It was the lawyer engaging in the logical fallacy, if it was anyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 9, 2012 16:45:06 GMT -6
kaitokatashi
Jun 9, 2012 18:13:08 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on Jun 9, 2012 18:13:08 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
oni Avatar
Cool episode but the whole Yakone thing makes me wonder about Republic City's justice system. They seemed to be going by witch trial logic when it came to bloodbending. Sokka had seen weird stuff before so Yakone must be a bloodbender? Sure, he actually was but the reasoning was way off. Hopefully, this will be picked up later because it's interesting to see such a massive crack in the justice system of the good guys.

It moved so fast that is seemed to last ten minutes. They definitely don't do a lot of annoying decompression in this show.

Witch trial logic? They knew that Yakone was a Waterbender, and Sokka's logic about having seen "impossible" things happen with bending was applied to Yakone's Bloodbending outside the full moon, since he knew, probably from Katara, that before Korra, Waterbenders could only Bloodbend during a full moon.

Now my biggest question since this episode: did Amon resisting Tarrlok's Bloodbending mean that Yakone is Amon? Think about it. When Katara and Hama fought, Katara was only able to resist Hama's Bloodbending because she was a stronger Waterbender. Why would Amon be able to resist Tarrlok's bending if he wasn't a stronger Waterbender?
This user is a guest
jin
Jun 9, 2012 21:26:11 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 9, 2012 21:26:11 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I absolutely loved this episode. I only wish they would have had more time between Korra, and Aang flashbacks. Speaking of Aang though, I personally think this shows that Kami's theory on Amon placing an illusion in people is spot on. We see that Aang took Tarlok's father's bending. He placed his hand on both chakras, and from there his bending was gone. Amon, however, still only places his thumb on the chakra located at the center of the forehead.

I felt bad for Asami at the end, but I really felt the "Confession" of the kiss was forced, and no real brother would rat on their brother like Bolin did. Morally wrong or not, a brother would not do that. He should have said, "You need to ask Mako".

Kinda glad Tarlok got his bending "taken" and this just shows that Amon is the top dog, and he is playing for keeps.

The voice actors for the characters, such as Sokka, and Aang, I really felt fit. Toph may be tough, and hardcore, but physically she is not rough. She's physically fit, but she's still a woman, and I felt her voice went well with her. Aang, and Sokka still had their cheerful attitudes about them, and that made me smile.

Did anyone else see the preview for the "season finale"? Really upset how it's come so fast, and that we have to wait for June 23.
This user is a guest
azn
Jun 10, 2012 9:13:48 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 10, 2012 9:13:48 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Book 1 is too short... She only had wind to learn, and it looks like book 2 will be devoted to that...which is just kinda boring :(

Amon resisting the bloodbending was scary (or at least must have been). It would make sense that Amon is Yakone, but that makes him super old. Maybe Yakone was able to inherit chi/chakra-blocking ability from Aang taking his bloodbending. Again, we also see how Aang does energybending correctly with 2 points. However, we also see that the 'evil vs. good' 'redvsblue' glow thing doesn't happen this time (which I thought to be an energybending indicator).

It may also make sense if Amon's ability has something to do with 'taking' powers. If he (being Yakone or not) was able to take the bending powers of several strong waterbenders, perhaps he is able to overcome the bloodbending like Katara did back in the day.
I must also note that Amon took the 'corrupt' bender out of the council with this episode, theoretically he could achieve a just council with a non-bender member.

ALSO: Notice some very important things Aang showed Korra beyond the obvious:
1-If you can learn to master the Avatar state, it can release you from blood-bending.
2-for, what we can assume to be, only the second time ever he energybended someones bending away.
3-He specifically did that to Yakone (PERMANENT) who then had a son that had THE SAME ability.
3.5-If Yakone, who was bendless, can have a son with the same bending: Amon's plan is flawed. He can take this generation's benders, but they will produce bending offspring.
3.7331- If Aang had his energybending 'unlocked' by the giant Lion Turtle, it may be theoretically possible that Amon is somehow related and Aang passes down that bending 'gene'.
This user is a guest
Last edit by azn: Jun 10, 2012 9:14:46 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 10, 2012 11:37:57 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 10, 2012 11:37:57 GMT -6

Well we all knew there were twelve episodes, guys - didn't we ? - so it makes sense that, if they're going to make it a one hour finale, as they always did, episodes 11 and 12 are going to be in two weeks. I'm not surprised... A tad sad, but not surprised.

That episode was great. Sure, not as awesome as the previous two, or at least not breathtaking, but still great. The only downside I can find is that there won't be anymore deep Dee Bradley Baker voicing. His Tarrlok is definitely the third best voice he can make - the first two being from The Clone Wars, Trandoshan Bounty Hunter Bossk and Clone Captain Rex... well, any clone really - so it's sad he won't be doing it anymore. He also did Ra'as Al Ghul in Arkham City but- yeah, he's great.

The good thing about that episode is how it closed this Korra vs. Tarrlok thing. Even though it was done in merely two episodes, as opposed to five for Aang vs. Long Feng, I like the way they made the conflict really start in last episode, and come to a surprising end in this one. Amon saves the Avatar... He should get his hands on the media and spread that around, it would be chaos. *smirks*

Bloodbending is illegal. I am so disappointed, I was certain it would be implemented as some sort of medical specialty - Cardiology, physiotherapy, medical analysis => bloodbending - but nope, the creepy side of it was apparently more interesting. I think history was more scarred by what Hama did than blessed by what Katara could have done. I'm also pretty sure that it's Hama who passed on the technique, since she was the Puppetmaster and both Yukone and Tarrlok made their targets hover the same way she "did" (there was no actual hovering, but sliding).

Ranting time: Boys are so dumb, Mako's going to break Asami's heart and I'm going to break his face Bolin just killed off any remaining chance he could have had with Korra; holy hell, Republic City actually has a better infrastructure in its underground, it must have been such a hassle to build; it was funny to see the gAang again, though the situation made them a bit less awesome than before. I like the choices in voice actors, it was pretty resembling in my opinion, although Toph sounds softer - and acts softer as well, back in the day she'd have subdued Yakone with powerful Earthbending on both occasions. Aang's angry face has not changed *thumbs up* And did you notice how the Council is more able to come to a consensus with a non-bender in its ranks, rather than agree to what one man says ? I mean sure, it's Sokka, but still...; Tarrlok actually owns a lodge in the mountains out of town... I find that shocking, but I can't explain why; and I have a lot more about Amon, but I already said them.

Forgot to say it about last episode, but it seems there won't be a showdown in Police Headquarters. Too bad, it would have been huge.

Also, evolution for the win !! *bows*

EDIT: To Seikatsu, I think you're both right and wrong on your 3.5. Yakone was sentenced to life in prison so Tarrlok had to be born before he got caught. But yes, Amon's plan seems screwed in that light.
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 10, 2012 11:44:26 GMT -6
jin
Jun 10, 2012 14:41:20 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 10, 2012 14:41:20 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Well, not necessarily. You said it yourself Lykka, he had to have Tarlok BEFORE he was sentenced to his jail time. That being said, he had Tarlok BEFORE he got his bending taken away. We have no idea at this point if taking someones bending allows them to have bending children. The situation never arose, and probably won't (because I'm shipping Kami's theory now.)
This user is a guest
azn
Jun 10, 2012 15:16:16 GMT -6

Post by azn on Jun 10, 2012 15:16:16 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
hm... why do we assume that he had to have Tarlock before? Also: since Aang deemed it necessary to remove his bending, Yakone could be perceived as no longer a threat and didn't have a life sentence after all.
We shall see
This user is a guest
jin
Jun 10, 2012 15:29:43 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 10, 2012 15:29:43 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
If you take a murders arms away so they can't kill anyone anymore, does that excuse them of their previous crimes? Is that justice for the victims? Firelord Ozai was no longer a threat and he probably spent the rest of his life in prison for his crimes. He had to have Tarlok before he was sentenced because he was in Jail, and we have no idea if their system gives cons any conjugal rights. That being said, if he did have those rights, then it is possible that he had Tarlok afterward, but highly, highly unlikely.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
Jun 10, 2012 16:03:30 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 10, 2012 16:03:30 GMT -6

Well how does he learn Bloodbending without his father teaching him ? Sure, it could be self taught or just an innate talent, but something tells me that he has to have had contact with his father beforehand, or at least more than what jail visits would allow. If not to inherit the bloodbending, at least to inherit his plans of controlling Republic City. When Tarrlok speaks about his father seizing it from its underworld, it sounds to me like he was there to observe and not like it was something he'd been told - I mentioned Dee Bradley Baker's amazing voice acting. There was disappointment in his voice... or maybe shame. Still, when you think about how Tarrlok had to change his identity and start anew, you would be right. He could have been conceived afterwards, but didn't want to try it with the notoriety he'd been handed.

Also, I'm going with the assumption that someone who gets his bending taken away does not lose his bending heritage. From the beginning I've always assumed that the Spirits decided who gets bending and who does not - a way out of saying that it's randomly done by genetics - so his plan "seems" screwed. *bows*
Last edit by Deleted: Jun 10, 2012 17:56:48 GMT -6
jin
Jun 10, 2012 16:15:11 GMT -6

Post by jin on Jun 10, 2012 16:15:11 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
How did Yakhone learn if it were illegal? More than likely the same way Hama did, by just practicing. They never needed a full moon, so practicing was never an issue. He is a waterbender too, and more than likely was taught that, and became a master while secretly training his bloodbending. Besides, Tarlock is probably Fiftyish, and his father was anywhere between thirty to fiftyish. If we go by the ages that everyone seems to have kids Thirtyfiveish area? Tarlok was anywhere between five to fifteen years old. Plenty of time BEFORE his father was arrested, and sentenced to train as we've seen younger kids than fifteen do some amazing stuff with bending.

That all said, it is still possible that heritage takes precedent over spirits. The spirits, from what I understand created the avatar but it was the humans that learned the four bending practices from the dragons, moon, moles, and bison. So you have to choose one or the other; Do the spirits choose who is a bender at birth, or is heritage and genes the deciding factor. I do not believe it can be both.

Edit: They at the top refers to Yakhone and Tarlok.
This user is a guest
Last edit by azn: Jun 10, 2012 16:15:58 GMT -6
Anonymous
Jun 10, 2012 18:02:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on Jun 10, 2012 18:02:27 GMT -6

I crossed numbers (correctly this time). Tarrlok is 37, according to nick.com's welcome to republic city panel. And he said Yakone's thing happened 42 years ago. There's a gap of five years between Yakone's arrest and Tarrlok's birthdate. His age might be false though.

Also, Aang is said to have died at 66 years old. 42 minues Korra's 17 makes 25, so Aang was indeed 40 (actually 41) years old at the time. The numbers seem to add up, so Tarrlok's too young. He was born post-bending loss. My apologies, I was mistaken. *bows*

Post by A Long Display Name Here on Jun 14, 2012 22:43:01 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
updated the OP with the Nick.com (US) full episode link.
This user is Mod