The Avatar RP | An Avatar: The Last Airbender Roleplay

Guest Avatar

Welcome, Guest!

Please Login or Register.

Previously, on Avatar...

Plot Update 10 March 2021

A year has passed since Fire Lord Zuko ascended the throne, and it seems like trouble is brewing between the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom once more. The Fire Lord and the Avatar began the Harmony Restoration Movement to restore the Fire Nation Colonies to their pre-war state by bringing any Fire Nation nationals back home, but for many of the citizens — of mixed Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom … Read more ›

The Moderation Team

Latest TARP News

SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

We're making some changes to adjust to our new plot. Sorry for the delay! We will be up and running shortly.

Mike & Bryan leave Netflix Adaptation

The original creators of ATLA quit the Netflix series, citing creative differences & an unsupportive environment.

[Spoilers] Episode 7

Post by Gia on May 20, 2012 15:46:33 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I watched it yesterday afternoon, and have been dying to create this thread ever since.

*squee* Okay, so part of me always wanted something to be up with the Sato's. Sure, Asami's cool - and that's fine with me - but I didn't have any proof that her father was up to something. Part of me honestly didn't think anything was, and I was sure that Korra was overreacting when she overheard that conversation. Lo and behold when I was wrong and Korra turned out to be right! (Sorry, Korra!)

I also want to say that Asami is pretty awesome. Yes, I'm still a Makorra shipper, after this episode, you have to give the girl some props... She went against her father because it was the right thing to do. Yes, it was the right thing to do but that didn't make doing that any easier. It's true, that saying - What's right isn't always easy. I feel so bad for her now.

I also find it interesting that now along with Tenzin, the world's only Airbending Master and Lin (who's still awesome imho), we have an Earthbender, a Firebender, a non-bender and of course, Korra. Seems to me that all bases are covered once again, just like before.

All in all, this was a pretty awesome episode yet again. Well done!
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 20, 2012 15:57:35 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 20, 2012 15:57:35 GMT -6

I agree with everything you've just said. I was sooo glad that something was up with the Satos and even more impressed by Asami. I was so glad that they decided to make her an awesome driver. Supper stoked that she's the non-bender of the team.

And heck yes to Lin doing things her own way! Toph coming through much!!

I'm still torn about shipping Makorra. I want to, but I kind of want Korra to be a boss without a man. Strong, single woman ;D.

Let's get this team assembled and kick Amon butt!
This user is a former member

Post by Gia on May 20, 2012 16:03:28 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
Agreed!

I like Mako/Asami, I don't wish anyone to think that I don't. I do, however, equally like Makkora... It's a difficult place, because I do like Asami - she's pretty freaking awesome, as I said. I'm also glad that they gave her some light of her own and she's no longer just... Mako's girlfriend.

I'm all Korra being strong and single, and part of me thinks that right now, she has more to think about. After all, Aang and Katara didn't really get together until the every end of the series. However, I also believe that she can be both strong and with a man.

shuai Avatar
And heck yes to Lin doing things her own way! Toph coming through much!!

Yes, she is definitely her mother's daughter.

shuai Avatar
Let's get this team assembled and kick Amon butt!

I could not have said it better myself.
This user is Mod
Anonymous
May 20, 2012 16:24:27 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 20, 2012 16:24:27 GMT -6

I'm glad my theory that Asami was providing the Equalists with their technology was proved false. It would have made things too easy. "See, your pretty girlfriend is a traitor. Love me, Mako. Loooove Me!"

Every time I think this series is presenting a cliche it performs a feat of cynic bending on me. The most surprising shock of shocks for me this episode was the bathing suits. I know it is going for a style reminiscent of the early 20th century but I was floored to see the more modest old fashioned designs. Such an obvious place to put in some fan service and they didn't take it. I tip my hat to whomever made that call.
Not that I'm against fan service I just get a bigger thrill when it is subverted.

I'm not fond of the mechs since they make the Equalists look less tough and imposing but it was cool to learn a metal bender weakness. It was great seeing Tenzin fight but I was hoping for more. Then again if the show catered to my every whim the episodes would be nearly a week long.

Anonymous
May 20, 2012 16:40:43 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 20, 2012 16:40:43 GMT -6

I was beaten to it again - by 15 minutes, getting closer !!

Did you feel frustrated as I did to find out that HE was collaborating with Amon ? I mean, sure it was the most logical guess and everybody saw it coming, but I sincerely hoped it was only an impression. He seemed genuinely kind from the first time we saw him... which makes me Republic City's number one best double agent, or spy, or just... Q from James Bond with a bit of traitor mixed in there. But I'm so glad that I was right about Asami :D. Not only is she pure good, she's awesome !! MAKO, PUT BABIES IN- I mean, she's a keeper.

And it felt good to see Korra facing something Aang never had to deal with. The conflict of interests between her duty as the Avatar, and her friendships as the Fire Ferrets' Waterbender. Just... Once again, it was all taken care of too fast. The lasting drama ensuing from that would have been interesting, but nope. Asami had to make it all better with a double takedown. *pouts* >.>

The most amazing thing to me, though, remains seeing Tenzin in Airbending action. Take note that he has a very different style from Aang when fighting. Aang was using a staff, so it was mostly sweeps and gusts of wind he used while in pretty much constant movement. Tenzin's more of a head-on kind of bender, it seems. He strikes forward with air, and remains mobile for evasive maneuvers, but he doesn't counterattack as repeatedly as Aang did. Then again, his own Airbending seems way more powerful, so it only takes the one strike.

*bows*
Anonymous
May 20, 2012 16:53:01 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 20, 2012 16:53:01 GMT -6

I forgot to mention what's-his-name...um, jerk guy from the wolf bats. They did a wonderful job of making me feel sorry for the guy. I don't know if it was just his animated body language or limp hair and bland clothes but they did a top notch job of making him look like someone to feel sorry for. That defeated tone in his voice was great too.

Post by Gia on May 20, 2012 16:55:46 GMT -6

Gia Avatar
I agree. I felt really bad for Tahno. Jerk or not, no one deserves to have their bending taken away (except for Ozai, but that's another discussion). Besides, it was *all* he had, and I liked it remark about Korra getting revenge or something like that for him.
This user is Mod
jin
May 20, 2012 17:14:28 GMT -6

Post by jin on May 20, 2012 17:14:28 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Honestly, the 'Group' is probably going to be Tenzin, Korra, Mako, Bolin, and Asami using her dads equipment against the equalist. I mean, in terms of combat, Lin is easily the proper choice between her and Bolin, but Bolin is comedy relief, he is the Sokka of this series and you need that.

I hate to say it, but I think Lin might get her bending taken away, or do something so drastic that she'll be thrown into jail for not only resigning just to do things outside the law, but she'll try and kill the chi blockers.

As for the episode, I did feel bad for Tahno; He was a jerk, and a prick, and their entire team didn't deserve to win but man, how much does it suck to have everything you worked for, all that practice and time, to be taken away by some hysterical man. I'm really curious to see Kya, and Bumi in the future episodes, and Korra needs to start training her Avatar State. I want to see Spirit Aang!
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 20, 2012 17:34:52 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 20, 2012 17:34:52 GMT -6

Lin and Tenzin seem too strong to be a part of the group. Plus, they're grownups so it would be weird. I definitely want to see them fight (not to mention see them as a young lovey dovey couple) but unless the situation is really dire I think they should stay out of the fighting. They'd either show everyone up or be nerfed.

Asami mentioned being trained in self-defense. I'm looking forward to seeing her fight. I was afraid there would be no good, tough non-benders this season. That's something the last series had a lack of as well. Sokka was more comic relief than formidable fighter in my eyes.
jin
May 20, 2012 18:50:01 GMT -6

Post by jin on May 20, 2012 18:50:01 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
Toward the beginning I agree Hangetsu, but toward the end Sokka really came through. He really became a valuable asset to the team, and I don't think he could have developed better.

As for this season, I believe that the entire show has awesome non-benders. Granted a lot of them are bad, and maybe there are too many strong non-benders, but I think that the tides are even, and soon we'll see something awesome.

As for the fighting, I actually don't see Tenzin, or Lin needing to be nerfed, the situation needing to be dire for them to show their stuff. Korra, and Mako were both over-powered by regular Chi blockers, and then there's Amon not to mention all of the other potential baddies.

I think Tenzin, and Lin will both be able to fight to full capabilities, and not be nerfed against the equalist. I don't think we'll see it for a long while, but I think they can and will.
This user is a guest
kaitokatashi
May 21, 2012 12:42:35 GMT -6

Post by kaitokatashi on May 21, 2012 12:42:35 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that LIN HAS SEISMIC SENSE! Plus, this is the first episode that we actually see her Earthebnding, so she's definitely her mother's daughter and one of my favorite characters in the series.

Plus, Mako in a bathing suit... (drool)

Anyway, I was hoping against hope that when Asami grabbed the gauntlet, she was going to use it on her father, and I let a triumphant yell out when I turned out to be right. She was innocent in the whole thing, and she ended up doing what was right.

Not to mention, Tenzin's "air wheel" and his prowess with his bending was AMAZING. Much respect.

I'm really looking forward to future episodes, especially since it looks like Amon CAN take people's bending away...
This user is a guest
jin
May 21, 2012 12:55:23 GMT -6

Post by jin on May 21, 2012 12:55:23 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
I wouldn't say that she's innocent yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out later that this was all apart of Amons plan; to get someone in with the Avatar. She's beautiful, good at fighting, and is dating the firebending good guy. Also, like in the last series, the firebenders were the baddies, and then we got ourselves a good firebender to truly teach aang (Zuko) but he was evil first.

In this series we have the non-bending chi blockers as the baddies, and we already have a nonbender in the group (Asami) so I fully expect her to betray everyone and see the error of her ways later.
This user is a guest
Anonymous
May 21, 2012 13:22:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 21, 2012 13:22:38 GMT -6

Hey don't say that !! Asami is a pure hearted girl with a dark aura, that's all !! She my number one girl ;D

*cough* In all seriousness, the way the Equalists have things set up, it wouldn't be in their favor to have Asami infiltrate the group. Amon has managed to double-cross both the Avatar and Lin, resulting in the capture of the metalbender taskforce, and before that, he double double-crossed them two again when he wrecked the pro-bending arena. Seeing as he's keeping the Avatar for last, it would be a waste of resource to appoint someone so close to her... Then again, it's true that it wouldn't hurt to doubly make sure he can overpower the Avatar when the time comes.

Yes, I forgot to speak about Lin's seismic sense, and the ingenuous retractable sole of her shoes. But that's because I was wondering if all metalbender cops had that accessory, and therefore if they could all sense vibrations like she did... Plus there was this slightly awkward moment when, after she bent the (apparently) metal hatch off the tunnel entrance, Bolin managed to Earthbend and trip the cop only a couple feet away from said entrance. I wasn't sure whether the ground was as metal as the hatch and so he could metalbend it, or if it was just all ground and... I don't know, I'm still confused.

Also, can anybody help me ? I got this new Hero dub for Lin, except I can't remember which one has the spikes and fought like she did against the mech. Although it might be a villain >.>
Anonymous
May 21, 2012 15:05:18 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 21, 2012 15:05:18 GMT -6

Lin's knife gauntlet reminds me a bit of Wolverine...or if you want to get a little less known like the swords Shatterstar keeps up his sleeves in X-Factor. I really liked seeing some of the extra cool stuff in the metal bender's uniform so I can write that into my character when he gets around to actually wearing his uniform.
Anonymous
May 22, 2012 14:59:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 22, 2012 14:59:38 GMT -6

...Actually I think I was thinking about Edward Elric in Full Metal Alchemist and the way he fights using his arm... but it's pretty different from being a hero or a villain so I'm very unsure.

I had another vision: Toph is going to come back... Okay, I didn't really have a vision, but I just thought it would be very cool if Lin decided to ask her mother for advice on going rogue. Imagine this:

Lin: "I can't believe I did this... but I asked help from the Blind Bandit."
Team Avatar:"...The what ?"
Old Toph: *kicks Air Temple entrance door open* "WHAT'S GOING ON HERE, TWINKLETOES ?!"

And then imagine something along the lines of the gAang vs. Dai Li fight in Lake Laogai but with Equalists !!... Technically it can happen, Bumi lived more than a hundred years old still rocking and I can easily see Toph going above.

But seriously, how cool would it be ?? ;D

And I also wanted to add that I'm particularly fan of the overall musical themes of that episode. I found it all pretty damn well done and fitting. The fight scene music almost reminds me of Zuko vs. Azula, except that it has all the actual fighting sounds - it wasn't the same level of emotion, so it's normal.
Last edit by Deleted: May 22, 2012 15:01:33 GMT -6
arcane
May 22, 2012 16:38:21 GMT -6

Post by arcane on May 22, 2012 16:38:21 GMT -6

Guest Avatar
oni Avatar
Lin's knife gauntlet reminds me a bit of Wolverine...or if you want to get a little less known like the swords Shatterstar keeps up his sleeves in X-Factor. I really liked seeing some of the extra cool stuff in the metal bender's uniform so I can write that into my character when he gets around to actually wearing his uniform.

I'm more inclined to believe that Lin bent the cables intsalled in the uniform into blades rather than that it was a separate weapon. We haven't seen exactly how far metal bending has progressed after all.
This user is a guest

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 23, 2012 2:59:13 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
arcane Avatar
oni Avatar

I'm more inclined to believe that Lin bent the cables intsalled in the uniform into blades rather than that it was a separate weapon. We haven't seen exactly how far metal bending has progressed after all.

While I am not sure whether or not those gauntlets were knifed or not, the reason that ALL the police are metal benders are because of the way they fight — they're bending the metal on their equipment. I wouldn't put it past her.

@hatter - Uh, yeah, of course she does. xD ALL metal benders, by virtue of how metalbending works, have to have it at some degree so they can "sense" the earth inside the metal (pure metals an exception, as we have just seen). I am stoked and pleased that Lin has the same prowess, it seems, as her mother — and that there is a little bit of Toph's "do it my way" imparted on her. I can't wait for that little exposition!

PS: I so called it on Asami.
This user is Mod
Last edit: May 23, 2012 2:59:44 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 25, 2012 13:57:38 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 25, 2012 13:57:38 GMT -6

...There's something awfully confusing about Republic City's system when I think about it. Basically, the metalbenders - more generally the Earthbenders - handle the police. I know that it's all convenient because metalbending is sort of an outcast form of bending that can overpower and restrain indiscriminately, and its also the only non-lethal and unconditional form, unlike lightning bending and bloodbending. But it feels just a little bit unfair in a city where peace is supposed to prevail. I understand why Tarrlok wants his hands on it... though in that case, I wonder where his taskforce came from. Lin is definitely chief of police, but the benders he put together for his taskforce had to come from somewhere. So, was he already expecting to take over as head of police, or are there other types of benders in the police ? - notice how they often speak of "Lin's metalbenders".

It just strikes me as weird that the four nations would put together resources for the city and yet the police is handled by only one power. I like to think of the city's electric grid being provided by Firebenders as some ground of equality - and I'm guessing/hoping Waterbenders handle hospitals and such - but... it doesn't feel right. I'm hoping they develop on these aspects of the city in future episodes.

Most important of all, I'm hoping we get to see how justice really works - as in, the memory of Aang attending a trial.
Last edit by Deleted: May 25, 2012 13:57:59 GMT -6
Anonymous
May 25, 2012 14:09:16 GMT -6

Post by Deleted on May 25, 2012 14:09:16 GMT -6

I'll bet the segregation of benders goes deeper than just the police. It's human nature to splinter from a large group and combine with one more familiar. I can see there being a mostly fire bender or water bender fire department or something similar.

I wonder if non-metal benders or non-benders in general find it a comfortable place to work. In a place where the chief is a metal bender and the daughter of the former chief it may seem like a rigged system to someone with no bending ability or family connections.

This seems like a subject worth RPing about.

Post by A Long Display Name Here on May 25, 2012 14:31:07 GMT -6

A Long Display Name Here Avatar
Joychi: The 'taskforce' he put together is non-affiliated with the police, as it's comprised both of earth and water benders (and the earth benders don't seem to bend metal). His taskforce also acts as his personal body guard, as seen at the end of that episode, so they are likely privately contracted. According to the "Welcome to Republic City" minigame on Nick.com, the Police is comprised entirely of metalbending officers, and Lin mentions that earthbenders are trained there to become metalbenders, so it's probably safe to assume there are non-metal-earthbending rookies there. I doubt that the entire HQ is run by Metalbenders, however, as logically speaking clerical work is probably handled by non-benders.

Suigetsu is probably right in that there are other element-exclusive places of employ, such as a waterbender fire brigade or as you mentioned the power "plant" being supplied by firebenders.

—-

I want to also clear up the misconception here: " yet the police is handled by only one power. " That is inaccurate. Lin cannot move without the approval of the Council, which has a representative from every Nation. Lin may be in charge of the Police, but she cannot run it at her whim, as evidenced by her having to resign in order to do things "her way". Lin's metalbenders are called such because the ARE her metalbenders in the same way she refers to her employees as "my men". The police originally started out as a metalbending school under Toph, and through the years eventually developed into a police department which was passed on to Lin — so they are literally HER metalbenders as she is the master of metalbending.
This user is Mod